1500 vs Skaven - Needs to Loose! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

karlhunt's Flag is: USA

Default 1500 vs Skaven - Needs to Loose!

Ok, here's the situation. I have a new player that has been getting killed bad. He plays Skaven and has lost almost every game he's played. Now, I need to build a list that will osse to him without making it obvious. My collection includes every fantasy race so give me some options. Right now I'm kind of thinking

Vampire
Skelly summon power and that sword that does the same (Hope that's vague enough)
24 skeletons with spears, standard and champion
2x 5 Dire Wolves
6 x 20 Zombies

Anyone got a better idea?

C'mon, Click my Daemon. You know you want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 05:19 PM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

it'd be easier to fix this problem if we knew what he usually takes to the field with.

Skaven armies can be uber powerful IF built right, they are however extremely easy to get wrong.

Try Goblins. They have junk leadership, don't take fanatics, keep your magic to a minimum. Or ogres and lose through simple numbers in combat.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

He generally brings one hero of varying types
one unit of 23 Storm Vermin, full command
two to three units of 20 Clanrats, banner only
three to four units of 20 Slaves
2 rat ogres
and 20 plague monks

we just bumped up from 1000 to 1500 pts so I don't know what he will bring.
I hear you on the Skaven having potential but as a newer player he has not invested in any of the elite models. He likes to play WYSIWYG so proxy for trial purposes doesn't work either.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 02:46 AM

So he has a horde army with lots of troops aye. What ever army you use, take units with great weapons that look really mean (swordmasters etc...) as they are pointless against clanrats and the like. Plus he'll get a big confidence boost from beating such elite troops. I think taking vamps will naturally play to his army's weaknesses with the fear tests and all so maybe not the best army to use against him. If I were throwing a game I would use high elves. They're fragile, low on numbers and don't cause much fear.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhunt View Post
He generally brings one hero of varying types
one unit of 23 Storm Vermin, full command
two to three units of 20 Clanrats, banner only
three to four units of 20 Slaves
2 rat ogres
and 20 plague monks

we just bumped up from 1000 to 1500 pts so I don't know what he will bring.
I hear you on the Skaven having potential but as a newer player he has not invested in any of the elite models. He likes to play WYSIWYG so proxy for trial purposes doesn't work either.
aha. I see his problem.

only 1 character is never a good plan with Skaven. We already have a mediocre magic phase at best and no horde of engineers to mass up DD is going to hurt. Try pointing him in the direction of 3 Engineers with a full set of warlock gear for a start. Stack up on the bound scrolls aswell. Scrolls are duplicaple (it's a word) so all the warlocks can have them.
Alternatively, if going for the "needs to lose approach" don't take any mages against him.

Make sure his Clanrats have HW + Shield only. Spears are "alright" but 4+ save vermin hordes take ages to kill.

20 is too small for a unit size in a Skaven army. We need extra ranks to keep out leadership up. He should be looking at 30 as a minimum, 36 is better. I put my slaves into units of 56 (7 wide 8 deep) throw that unit at a massive threat like a Shaggoth etc and they will sit there for ages. (Note this only works if the massive threat has a max of 6 attacks. Anything mire than that and you start losing combat not drawing it and sleazing the win with a musician)

After that he REALLY needs to get some of the cool stuff. Starting with Jezzails. They're expensive points wise but a unit of 10 WILL destroy things with ease.

Warp Lightning Cannons are cool, globadiers are awesome against heavy armoured stuff (as are censer bearers).

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 08:56 AM

OMG! I can't believe I forgot ratling guns. 1 in every unit. they're not optional they're mandatory.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, sadly I think he may have lost the love. Our game is tonight and he's trying out the Bretonnians. I think I'll take Skaven with the upgrades you mentioned and see if we can't win him back by taking out some Warriors of Chaos or Dwarves.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 03:34 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Use about 3x Engineers. They're really quite nice, along with a Bucket of Ratling guns.

The models for the Stormvermin are nice, but I just think they're too expensive. Go for Slaves and Clanrats. MSU Clanrats with Ratling guns, and the rest of the points for Screening Slaves.

If you can stretch that far, a Warp lightning cannon can work well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 10:28 PM

zas240's Flag is: Wales

one tactic with skaven that works well is this.. (you must read this in your head or out loud with a German accent.)

SHVAMS
(in English swarms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
They are going to be called in to righteously kick the shit out of deamons and heretics before fucking off back to Titan for tea and crumpets, leaving the chaos gods thinking "I fucking hate those guys"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-09, 05:25 PM

Swarms are waaay too expensive for what they do.
And yes 3 Warlocks with the proper item combos are freaking deadly.
in a 2k list i would use 1 Warlod and 3 locks.

Good luck.

Nari.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Skaven Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode