Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Hammer 49 Project Log

7K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Hammer49 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals. This is my first post of any of my painted models, so be kind.
Im a big space marine fan, and have many different SM/CSM armies on the go. I also have some xenos armies as well which I will some pics of at a later date. I flick between armies often, and I find this helps keep me motivated.
Recently I have been concentrating on my favourite SM army blood angels and an Iron warriors army. Blood Angels were the first models I ever tried to paint when I first started, and they have been my favourite ever since.

Heres some progress pics.

I have made further progress on the BA assault marines I just havent got any pics yet.

On the iron warriors Im pretty happy with them, but Im intending to paint up some random imperial fist parts (helmets shoulder pads etc) to add some more interest on the bases.

Look foward to hearing your comments!

See less See more
#5 ·
This is what I have been doing so far this weekend. I havent done as much painting as I would have liked as I have been putting together 30 grey hunters for my SW, and deathcompany for BA.
The Rhino is for a tactical squad that I have ready primed and ready to go.

The Rhino decals are shiny as I have gloss varnished them. Once I have put some highlights down and finished the metallics I will go over the whole model with purity seal.

The beginnings of my Baal predator. I had forgotten how difficult it can be to get a smooth red over a big area. I think I achieved it, but I can certainly see why people use airbrushes.

I have also base coated a terminator squad. Some of my favourite SM models.

I have nearly fininshed with my first assault squad just need to sort out the weapons and the chest eagle, and I think Im pretty much there. The red in this pic is slightly misleading as it looks more like the rhino in the first pic irl.

Look forward to hearing your comments.

#7 ·
Thanks djinn24. I think I will need to paint the edges of the decal.

Currently working on another rhino, and have a razorback to construct as well. At this rate Im going to have more tanks than my IG army.

#11 ·
I've never used decals myself but I've seen a lot of people in different plogs on the net using and recommending two products called MicroSol and MicroSet to apply decals to their miniatures which apparently doesn't leave you with the clear area of the decal showing through.

Here's a tutorial for using the products (there are quite a few on google if one searches). Maybe that would be worth a try instead of having to paint over every decal after you've applied them (which seems to beat the point of using decals to begin with i.m.o)?

Maybe someone else has experience with the product and can give you their point of view on the matter.

#15 ·
Thanks Mortigar.

I used 2 thin coats of dwarf bronze, which I think covers better than shining gold.
I then used a wash of badab black, and then two washes of devlan mudd, as I didnt want it looking to shiny/clean as there siege warriors after all.

Hope that helps!

#16 ·
Im currently getting round to paint some plague marines for my iron warriors, or as some people would say iron warriors with bionics from a fluff point of view.
Though Im not sure how to go about it. I have some plague marines models & normal CSM. I am wondering should I use normal marines painted in iron warriors colours but with a green shoulder pad. Or the other option of plague marine models painted in iron warriors colours, though slightly more expensive.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

#17 ·
Hey mate, I know you've been given some advice on decals but I'll just tell you how I do them. I don't use any MicroSol or anything like that.

• Lay down two coats of gloss varnish in the required position.
  • Soak the transfer/decal in warm water for a few moments.
  • Place the transfer/decal, dab away any excess water and then IMMEDIATELY coat it with gloss varnish.
  • Once dry, add another coat of gloss varnish or two.
  • If you have any sticky up bits or creases, layer a few more coats of gloss on them.
  • Coat the whole mini with purity seal as usual and Bob's your uncle.

Here's a pic as evidence that it does work:
View attachment 12155
The only other thing i would suggest is doing the decals as the very last item, after everything else is painted. This is because paint doesn't go over gloss varnish very well.

Hope that helps.

Rev

#18 ·
Hey mate, I know you've been given some advice on decals but I'll just tell you how I do them. I don't use any MicroSol or anything like that.
That really does look top notch mate, i'd be interested in giving it a go.

Might be worth posting that up in the tutorials section as i'm sure other people might be interested :)

#20 ·
Testor's also makes a really nice product ~linky~.

First use the decal solvent solution, painting some of it where you are going to be applying the transfer. This solution softens the plastic the decal is set in and allows it to conform more easily to the contours of the model. After that is down apply the transfer as normal. After the decal is down, blot it dry, and apply a couple of coats of the setting solution. This may turn out kinda shiny, so in the end you can brush some Testor's matte finish, or just use a matte finished clear coat.

#21 · (Edited)
As I have been abit lazy on the painting recently, I thought that over the long weekend I would see if I could get some much needed painting done.
This afternoon I have been painting some grey knights and space wolves, and getting a whole bundle of marines undercoated.
Heres my currently unpainted SW. Im going to change the colour scheme to be the same as the SW terminators as I think it looks better.

I have also started to redo some old GK terminators, and have also undercoat draicho.

#25 ·
That's a lot of power armour.

My favourites so far have got to be the IW squad. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I must admit I do like space marine armies, and have more than a couple.

I have been doing some more on my GK terminators, but still very w.i.p. These are the old terminator models that I had semi painted years ago. I think this may be causing me problems as I think the undercoat was abit heavy, but Im going to perservere.

After these are finished I have a couple of boxes of the new terminators, and 5 of the new GK in power armour, which Im hoping should be easier to work with.

#28 ·
I use to find it hard to know where to start! But now I just do what ever takes my fancy that day. I have lots of projects on at the same time, which is very similar to my work, so I have got use to it, if that makes sense!

#29 ·
Have been working on my DA. Recently been experimenting with airbrush.

Heres some tanks and a few more to follow- 4 razorbacks/rhinos as not intending to glue them fully together! The vindicator dozer blades will be done in black with yellow hazard markings... hence the reason the undercoat is still showing through. Everything is still very much wip.. as the vindicators need a wash of badab black/nuln oil to darken them up a little.. the landraiders some golden sepia shading... and the BA are only up to the first basecoat stage!

Have also today received my tartaros Terminators to add to my deathwing army.

I have also been working on some BA to maybe includes as allies! Also happens to be how i first found dark angels and also blood angels, as they were combined in the first codex i ever got!

#33 ·
Lethiathan- Ive been collecting for quite a while and have a large range of armies, a few that arent shown in this log, also quite a few warhammer armies as well!

Reecntly been doing some character models.. but cant decide how to Mephistons cloak colour wise. Any one any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.