Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Troy’s Nids Army for the 2011 Army Painting Challenge.

23K views 183 replies 43 participants last post by  Tawa 
#1 ·
So this year I will be using the Army Painting Challenge to finish up my Nid army. I have about 1000 points completed now, and would like to complete another 1000 points before moving on to a new army.
So far I have completed:
3 x Warriors 6 Ymgarl Genestealers 15 Termagants 8 Termagants with Devourers 8 Hormagaunts 8 Genestealers 9 spore mines 8 Gargoyles 1 Carnifex 1 Biovore
Here are a few action shots from my 1st battle report.( http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76339 )

Fex

Genestealers

Warriors

Group Shot

See less See more
#3 ·
For the first month of the challenge I will be working on a Tyrant Guard and a Hive Tyrant. I will also be magnetizing the weapons on the Tyrant as well, and this will be my fist time trying this.
So far I have these models cleaned with steel-wool and mold lines removed.
I have to say I’m not impressed with the fit of the Tyrant model, there are some bad gaps on the tail join section and even worse ones on the upper body assembly- I will have to use some green stuff to fill these in.

#5 ·
I use a modeling knife and a small file to remove mold lines. I use the steel-wool to clean and smoothen out the model. It’s a tip I seen somewhere once. It basically just smoothes the surface of the model to let the paint lye flatter. Next time I do a steel model I will take some before and after shots.

I have all the magnets in now and I will post some pics of how I did it soon. I had to use 4 extra small magnets and 6 small magnets. I drilled small holes in the armpits of the upper body to rest the magnets into - then glued them in place. I then cut the shoulders straight and proceed to drill small holes in them to fit the small magnets into (I did this for the gun arm and the ammo arm). I then drilled small holes in the gun and ammo arm join section thingy lol and fitted the extra small magnets into that. Now I just have to maybe clean it up a bit of green stuff and snap a few pics.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm assembling, magnetizing, Green stuffing, converting and painting a Hive Tyrant for a friend of mine so I feel your pain about that kit. After doing pretty much everything in plastic (with my marines) it was real pain in the arse just to put it together (and don't get me started on the Zoanthropes!). Let's just say my dremel is now my best friend ;)

By the looks of it you've done great work on it already! Will be nice to see how it develops! :)

#11 ·
I'm assembling, magnetizing, Green stuffing, converting and painting a Hive Tyrant for a friend of mine so I feel your pain about that kit. After doing pretty much everything in plastic (with my marines) it was real pain in the arse just to put it together (and don't get me started on the Zoanthropes!). Let's just say my dremel is now my best friend ;)

By the looks of it you've done great work on it already! Will be nice to see how it develops! :)
Yeah, I’m not a fan of metal models, but I expected more from this kit seeing as it cot $59 CND . I thought about magnetizing the lashwhip/bonesword and talons, but there was no point because I will never run talons. I’m looking forward to getting this one done – I need the synapses. I’m going to pretend I never heard that about the zoanthropes – I have two sitting on my desk for another months challenge. lol

#12 ·
Zoans are the worst. I still have them unpainted and unassembled except for the tail attached to the base. You are going to need to seriously weight the base to keep them from falling over.

#18 ·
Here they are got them finished in time. This is the first time that I used magnets, greenstuffs and water effects. I’m very pleased with how it came out, but a little pissed at my purity seal because it made my tyrant guard look frosted so I didn’t use it on the tyrant.
Here is a bunch of pics from a few angles.

Here you can see how the magnits go together lol

And this is the first mini that my girlfriend ever painted and it came out awesome – I wish my first minis came out half this good. :(

#54 ·
Here they are got them finished in time. This is the first time that I used magnets, greenstuffs and water effects. I’m very pleased with how it came out, but a little pissed at my purity seal because it made my tyrant guard look frosted so I didn’t use it on the tyrant.

So I have found that Krylon makes a matte finish art sealer that works wonders for me. I get it at my local hardware store too. Cheaper, more available and works fantastic. I refuse to pay fifteen bucks for sealer.

Great thread, by the way, check out some of my painting logs below.

#21 ·
Awesome job, love the base on the tyrant.
What have you used for the water/slime? actually what stuff have you used in general. Starting to get a bit more adventurous with my basing and I like the effect. Need some more materials though as atm I've got sand, stones and static grass.

Also what magnets did you use for the tyrant and how do you ding they hold. I'm worried that the bonesword especially is very heavy and will end up constantly "dropping" out of position.

#22 ·
Thanks man much appreciated. The water on the base is Citadel Water Effects. It works well, but takes 24 complete hours to dry and not 1 less. It also shrinks as it dries, I had to use 3 coats and since these pics, I added another coat to make it a little deeper – it’s a bit annoying, but I love how it turned out. The rocks on the bases are made from craved up pink foam, just painted gray and washed in black with some flock on top. Also I use a mixture of light and dark grass flock (not static grass). When the water effects went on top of it, some flock floated around and gave it that swamp look, that wasn’t intentional but I like it. The grass and the bushes are from a modeling terrain kit I got at a hobby store, it came with a bunch of grasses, moss, straw, bushes etc… for like $20, can’t remember what it was called now. Sometimes you will see small rocks on my bases which are just painted fish aquarium rocks lol.

I used rare earth magnets, but I didn’t magnetize the bone sword and the lash whip, because I don’t think I would not run them in a game. However, these things are strong and would defiantly hold that sword up, you would just have to be careful and make sure you got the angel of the magnets right so they would contact on their full surface area.

#24 ·
Love the tyrant, i think the green to bone balance is just right on him so he stands out really well.

Looking forward to seeing the zoans, i'll keep an eye on this :victory:

p.s your GF's model is ridiculously good.....what's she painting next?

#26 ·
Thanks a lot man appreciate it. The base coat is rotting flesh it has a nice green shade to it that matches the carapace well. My GF said thanks for the comment on her marine too!! She is either painting another marine or a sergeant next.

That's the first time I've ever seen a green scheme on nids, and they look excellent. Also, your GFs marine is pretty damn good for a first model. Very neat and even, and the red looks really good.
Thanks - I haven't seen any green ones either for some reason?? Also my GF said thank you and that they're pink lol.

#28 ·
Small update – I’ve got the Zoans assemble and primed. I had to fill in some gaps with green stuff again much like I did with the Tyrant. I also prepped and primed a few marines for my girlfriend to paint! Slowly I will convert her into the hobby.

Only got less than two weeks to get this done ahh before my vacation, and I don’t know how I am going to do it cause I just park this new whip in my drive way!!! (sorry about bragging but I can help it I’m in love)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.