Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Chaos Renegades WIP : Part Two - Renegade Space Marines

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DeceivedRadek 
#1 ·
These guys require a thread of their own for two reasons.

1) People will be able to search better for stuff if it's titled, and in the OP...not everyone wants Beastmen to return to 40k, but everyone wants Renegade Marines somewhere!

2) These guys may be a little contentious, and I want undiluted feedback, rather than mixing it in with the Beastmen feedback (such as it is) or the Cultist feedback still to come.

So, on with the show. Now, Renegade Marines represent something radically different from Traitors. While these guys MAY have started to worship the Ruinous Powers they have not yet given themselves wholly to them, and certainly have not received the 'blessings' of loyal service. Often though, these Marines have no interest in Chaos, merely in self-enhancement, gaining power, and in the using of that power. As such, this entry represents pirates, scoundrels, and Chaos Renegades equally - traitors to the Imperium and the Emperor one and all. At least, in the eyes of the Inquisition. It is said that some Chapters, such as the Peregrines or the Iron Angels, never renounced their vows to the Emperor, despite being declared Renegade after the Bakalian Heresy in M39, and continue to serve His wishes, albeit without the support of Imperial forces or armourers. It is unknown where they acquire munitions, if so...but rumours of shady deals with the Dark Mechanicus are rife. Perhaps they were not traitors before...but how long can faith in the Immortal Emperor last with the corrupting influence of Chaos all around?

Renegade Marines: 70 Points. [TROOPS]

Renegade: WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A1 Ld7 Sv3+
Heretic: WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld8 Sv3+

Unit Composition: 5 Renegades

Wargear: Power Armour, Frag and Krak Grenades, Bolter, Bolt Pistol

Special Rules: Renegades - Unpredictable. Heretic - Unpredictable ; Leader, Not a Follower.

Dedicated Transport: Rhino, Razorback, Drop Pod, Land Raider [Razor costs 5 points more than C:SM, others are same cost]

Options: You may add up to 15 more Renegades@14pts each
Add an Icon of the Gods@15pts
All models may purchase a CCW@1pt each
One in every 5 models may choose a weapon from the following list to replace their Boltgun:
Flamer@5pts ; Meltagun@10pts ; Plasmagun@10pts ; Plasma Pistol@10pts ; Lascannon@15pts ; Missile Launcher@10pts ; Multi-Melta@15pts ; Plasma Cannon@15pts ; Heavy Bolter@5pts ; Heavy Flamer@10pts

One model may be upgraded to a Heretic @ 8pts

A Heretic may replace his Bolter/BP with:
Power Weapon@10pts ; Power Fist@15pts ; Thunder Hammer@20pts ; Lightning Claw@10pts

Or, he may replace his Power Armour, F&K Grenades, Bolter and Bolt Pistol with:
Terminator Armour with Power Weapon, Storm Bolter@30pts
He may then replace either weapon with:
Power Fist@5pts
Chainfist@10pts
Thunder Hammer@10pts
Storm Shield@10pts
Single Lightning Claw@FREE
Pair of Lightning Claws (Replaces both weapons) @10pts

He may take Melta Bombs@5pts

--------------------------------------------------

Unpredictable - A unit with this rule is untrustworthy, at best. They may always test to regroup if there are enemy models within 6", though the other restrictions apply.

Leader, Not a Follower - The unit can use the Heretic's Ld for any test based on this Characteristic, unless an IC without this rule is also included in the squad. If this is the case, then the unit’s Leadership value become that of the majority, as the squabbling between the two leaders interferes with their ability to function coherently as a unit. In addition, if multiple models in this unit have this rule, and the unit fails a Morale Check, remove one of those models, and treat the unit as having passed (no Saves or Eternal Warrior may save the model from removal in this fashion.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Much as I respect and share distaste for Threadomancy, this gots me no feedback, and I'd quite like some to try and revitalise my desire to finish the project. :)

#3 ·

:wink:

I think the "leader not a follower" rule is needlessly complex, why not just have "the unit does not benefit from the IC's leadership or special abilities unless the IC also has this rule".

Should Unpredictable not read "may always test to regroup even if there are enemy models within 6""

also...
Or, he may replace his Power Armour, F&K Grenades, Bolter and Bolt Pistol with:
Terminator Armour with Power Weapon, Storm Bolter@30pts
He may then replace either weapon with:
Single Lightning Claw@FREE
Pair of Lightning Claws (Replaces both weapons) @10pts
so I can choose to replace my power weapon with a lightning claw for free, and seperately choose to replace my storm bolter with a lightning claw for free and get around paying the 10 points?
Make this clear that its only one choice and it should be fine (I assume it is just supposed to be one choice?)

#4 ·
Ah, the Claws is a very good point, thanks. The other is deliberate - you can regroup if there are enemies in 6", but you are under 50%.

#5 ·
Unpredictable - A unit with this rule is untrustworthy, at best. They may always test to regroup if there are enemy models within 6", though the other restrictions apply.
See I would say that this means you can attempt to regroup if enemies are within 6" as long as you meet the other criteria, ie in coherency and half strength or more.

I dunno about unpredictable, make it sound something more desperate. How about...

Nowhere to Run!

When attempting to regroup if there are enemy units within 6" of the unit it may ignore all restrictions on regrouping and as such may attempt to regroup even if under half strength or out of coherency etc. If there are no enemy units within 6" when the unit attempts to rally they must abide by the normal criteria.

#6 ·
Huh, I was told. :p

I shall have to find my original notes on the project I guess, I am no longer sure what exactly I intended.

#8 ·
I love CSM and my army contains units of loyalist "defectors" still painted in their chapter colors but with chaos symbols in stead of imperials. I would like to see more rules for renegades specifically but i just use normal csm stats for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.