Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Craters

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Kitsunex 
#1 ·
I mentioned in my intro thread that i'd made my first piece of terrain, namely a crater and someone suggested i post how i did it. so here goes. Remember, this is my first attempt at making terrain so it'll look a little crude.

So the ingredients needed.
1. Misc. Ceramic floor tiles
2. Air Dry clay
3. Paper clips
4. primer and paint

1. to start with you need to collect your ceramic tiles. i got mine from the clearance rack at Lowes, i paid $.25 each. i started with 6 x 4" square tiles.
put them in a sack or something (I used a pillow case), and hit them with a large hammer, breaking them up into pieces. you should have something looking like this:

2.I used a cereal bowl as my mold since it was about teh right diameter and shape for a crater IMO.
here it is upside down to show you what i used and give you an idea of the shape.

Take some of your air dry clay:

and lay it down about a half inch think in the rough diameter of the bowl. Then start building up a slope around the bowl in a rough blast type shape.

Next take the broken tiles and push them into the clay around the bowl. I put them shiny side down, so the rough part was up, to represent concrete slabs. you should have something that looks like this after removing the bowl and doing some sculpting with the clay:

as you can see i added the smaller broken chips to the bowl of the crater and along the sides as larger rubble. after i had it about how i liked it, i went over all the clay with a rock i found in the driveway to get rid of my fingerprints and to give the clay a rock like texture.

i cut up some paperclips and stuck them in random places to represent rebar.
finally i pulled out my hot glue gun and glued small pieces to the sides of the slabs to make it look like rebar sticking out of the concrete. i couldn't think what to use besides the hotglue gun. after i paint it, if it looks like crap, i'll remove them.

here is a pick of them, sorry its a little blurry.

finally i primed it gray. i'll save you what it looks like painted because i am still learning this whole painting thing, so i'll leave it up to your imagination how you paint it.

thanks for looking!

See less See more
#14 ·
thanks a lot for the feedback. that original crater never got completed, after my divorce my ex mother in law threw it out along with all my terrain and almost threw out my son's unpainted Chaos Land Raider with customer FW resin doors. as it is, she broke a bunch of pieces off like the heavy bolter that should be on the front that i need replace somehow.

but on the plus side, i made up 5 more craters and i'm in the process of painting one of them, after i'm done i'll post a pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.