Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Stompy Marine

10K views 60 replies 35 participants last post by  Red Corsairs 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Got a couple of quick pics of something that stumbled under the knife. The Fiance isn't too pleased with me.

So above, he's still got his pink head. I was considering kacking his nose off and put a grill there, turn his head Marine style. But instead...

Still got bits and bobs to do to it. So time to mix some putty.

All the best,
Dusty

See less See more
#28 ·
I love clicking your threads Dusty, it's always something different and interesting :)

Back Pack looks great so far, and on a side note the elvis frog is very cool! +rep

#31 ·
Ello,
Lol, Where to begin. Firstly Thanks everybody. Ok lots of work has been done.
His fur's been redone. Nails added to the other foot (realized that being an exposed foot, makes more sense to see his nails rather than the other one really). And just outlined the other toes with a marker pen so you all can see them better (note it is not paint!) And on his Knee pad is the start of a icon.

Below: Added a control/button/box thingy and finally worked out what to do to the buckle.

Ok, been going crossed eyed tidying the head. He's had his sides including ears sanded down (head made narrower). I didn't really wanna have to do that but there is a reason! Added tinnie sausages of putty in the gaps of coil wire and something to kinda get the cable into the mouth grill part.

Ok now the arm. It's got more trim, a bit chucky, probably sand it down a tad. Got that pistol to blend/fit better with the rest of the arm and added a rivet to it. Chainsword has had that gap filled. Both arms have had to have some pinkness sanded off below the arm pit to get the arms to tuck (down) into the body better. Btw the end of the barrel on that pistol is hexagonal, dunno how it'll look when painted?

Right arm has had the skull horns redone and whilst at it a pointy strip on his hand. There's a couple of puttied rivets on the end on the cable too (needs beefing/tidy);

His shoulder missle launcher has had a couple of arrows/triangles on top of each barrel, needs more work. And it's been raised to sit higher on his arm.

Here's the backpack:

It's had the middle bit replaced with some plating and the side squiggles replaced (not pictured), but again needs some more work. Now we'll move onto some other nik nacks, I ended up cutting a missle launcher bracket (larger) to make his bolter beefier (go either side of ammo), but the bits cut off were too big, so they're gonna become his hammer instead. The bolter's has a couple of rivets added at the front too (might not be pictured). Sorry, couldn't help the drawings.

And the rest of that bracket;

Okie-Dokie I gotta get going 'It's Hammer Time'.
-Dusty

#34 ·
This is.....Very strange yet.....Brilliant Mr.Dusty, your skills are certainly awesome, and thus you deserve some rep :)

#35 ·
Hi guys,
Many thanks. Inspirado? Er, Bit here, bit there. Get a theme in mind, in this case started as bear/marine - chaos/kitten (he's got identity issues). Doing bits that you think you could do quite easily, and slowly do them. Don't be afraid to chip bits off to redo.
Actual inspiration or a factor I suppose is from from people's reactions and having fun.
So onto production notes: Getting close now guys. Trying not to go over the top and keep the balance in check (hehheh). Getting a bit sick of milliput. Beginning to think of a paint scheme. It's gonna be crazy hopefully, trying a few techniques I've never tried before.
On a sidenote: Still been working on other projects, just not really at good stages to be photographed. Even dug out the watchtower as some people have been asking. Eldar are stripped down, doing bases for them but they're a bit time consuming as they're a bit grovey (not sure if practical in game though).
Anyway, can't leave without posting some pics. Here's shoulder pad, not sure about this bricky armor pattern (a bit poorly done too):

Hammer and even more weapons (pair of swords). And the other pic has the baseball bat with added barberwire & knee pad icon

Considering sandles?
Toodles,
-Dusty

#37 ·
Howdy,

Erm not sure where the heads on the backpack came from. I thought it was from a chaos accessory sprue, but not sure now.

Just a quick pic update:
Redone that shoulder pad with something simple.

Added cross-bones on the gun (both sides of ammo).

And continued the saw blade along the back of the sword.

<end of update>
-Dusty

#38 ·
Hello everyone,
Done a little something I hope you'll enjoy. Please make sure speakers are on, dim the lights, popcorn and viewing goggles on if need be. Can we remind the audience to kindly switch off mobile phones. Thank you.
-Dusty

<Trumpets>

#42 ·
Hey guys,

Cheers, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Ok, it's late, so I know I'm gonna miss saying bits, but here goes...Update.....
Tinnie skull on helmet:

The buckle. Tinnie bit added to the bottom of the baseball bat and got the 'KISS' more defined:

His new 20 Ton weight and Hammer:

And couldn't help messin around with his Bolter some more:

So that's it, he's finshed! (minus Hammer, but it ain't far off). He'll be going in for spraying soon after final checking over etc.
And just when it could get any more exciting....Ladies and Gentlemen, it's that time again. Please make yourselves comfortable, gogglies on, popcorn...ok ok Drum roll please...
<Drums + Trumpets>.....He's Back!.....

Till next time folks,
Dusty

#43 ·
This thing is soooo cool and so weird at the same time. The only thing for me is the head looks a bit too thin for the body, i reckon a more rounded head would suit it more. Still, i love the detail involved in the model and the conversion work is great. The added weight is just pure genius. Im loving this wip.

#44 ·
Hey guys,
Moo, I also prefer a more rounder head, but it had to be sanded down heavily in order to get the twin cannon to fit either side of the head/face. Also things like the earring had to go on the top rim, so it wouldn't get in the way. Also the right arm shoulderpad needed a lot of adjusting to make sure it wouldn't get in the way either(it almost came close to being replaced altogether with something else).
Ok so onto what will be the final build update. Finished the hammer:

After putting it in Stompy's hand, I've decided, he ain't gonna use it (what?). It looks a bit outta proportion - a bit too long, and wide (diameter) where it goes into his hand. So I guess it'll have to be used for some other project.
Otherwise here he is finished:

Next step - Paint!

#45 ·
I'm a bit stumped with this.

Its an Awesome amount of work and the standard is high.

Your use of materials is has some things that I will be looking into (Brass rod and coppper pipe.) as they look more durable than the plastics I play with currently.

I like the individual bits of work on the mini but unfortunaly for me the thing is less than the sum of its parts, ( the feet for some reason really bug me, too cutesy still maybe?).

Thats just personal taste I spose and it is a great showcase of your skills and imagination.

#47 ·
This is possibly the best conversion I've ever seen. +Rep!

#48 ·
Cheers all,
Thought I'd quickly give an update, something happened!....
He's been sprayed bright Pink!

And then after what Vash said about the feet, he was right! Thanks Vash! And I hope it proves that giving honest opinions is always cool! Luckily Stompy didn't get sandles. But he did get.....Claws!

Ok, so they still need a bit of work, and maybe just a tad on the huge-side, and will need reundercoating and repinking.
Anyhoo, away I go....
Dusty

#51 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
Gotta be quick, had no internet so trying to quickly do this before heading to Salute.

Last couple of days:

Doesn't look like much happened in the middle - mostly drybrushing and undercoating trims black. But beginning to pick out detail like gems/lenses.
Anyhoo, I gotta get going!
-Dusty

#52 ·
Hi all,
A bit too tired to think properly..erm some highlighting, some brass added to bling, working out which sections are gonna be what colours. It's had a coat of varnish as paint was beginning to rub off in places.

Okie Dokie, I gotta get some coffee...
-Dusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.