Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

My Word Bearers project

30K views 219 replies 27 participants last post by  Saintspirit 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of years ago I was slowly building up a force of Iron Warriors, after having seen the "Uber Bang Bang Death-army" made by Lemmingspawn. However, after a while I stopped that (not really sure why, guess my interest just ended). Then when the CSM got a new codex and the Dark Vengeance was released, I decided to take up them once more - but not painting them like IW but Word Bearers, as I have always found them quite interesting as well. Thought I should show them here (just note that I do in fact have more 'Bearers painted, it is just that I don't have them very close at hand, so pics of them will come later on). One thing I would just like to point out is, that this army will be a fluffy one and will mainly contain units I find fitting. As such, it won't be a completely competitive one, just so you know:whistle:

That aside, here I have my Word Bearers standing under the Dark Apostle Iovan Salmyr (who I will show soon)! To begin with, I here have this Terminator Lord, whom I in fact painted while I was still working on my IW:s - might have been then my interest for the fanatically religious chaos space marines was starting to build up. Not completely sure what to equip him with, though.

Then, I also have the first three of my first Chaos Space Marine squad, with one carrying one of the Cursed Incenses (counts as an Icon of some kind):

That's it for now, although - as mentioned - there is a lot more to come, sooner or later. For example, how does a couple of Cultists, a Forgefiend and some Berzerkers in a Rhino sound?

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks both. You might be right on that though, Cymry - however, it could also be that the photos are not exactly my best ones. The backpacks do have some black parts, it is just that they are hard to see here; the fires could use some fix, though.

The lords head is from... er... um... Oh, that's right, the Chaos Space Marine box.:whistle:

#6 ·
Can't remember really, although I don't think so, as everything I've yet posted is in plastic.

#8 ·
The forgefiend, you say? Well, good for you then that I just recently managed to take a couple of pics of Iovan's little cute pet:

Will post a few other guys soon, and then it will be time for a finished CSM squad.

#10 ·
Thanks, I did in fact buy it when I was in France.
To continue - Iovan Salmyr, my Dark Apostle (I really like the DA model, although I am not very much into CSM with bare heads):

And a couple of cultists.

#12 ·
Thanks. The flesh weren't really that hard, try Ratskin Flesh, then a Seraphim Sepia wash, then finally a layer with Ratskin Flesh + Rakarth Flesh.

Here, I have some of my Chosen - really like those models (two left to paint, shouldn't take too long):

Also, I normally use the DV-lord as the Chosen champion:

#14 ·
You are a painting machine! I've never really been a fan of Word Bearers but you are begining to change that. That Deamon Engine looks brillaint, best version of it I've seen and I don't like that mini at all butyou've made it work. Have you got a hellbrute to as well?

#15 ·
I do have a helbrute, although I haven't started on it. I am not really that fond of that model, so I plan to convert it in some way, just not sure how though.
Will try to finish a couple more cultist and regular marines soon; this can be a little hard though when you have seven other armies to work on :)
Suppose though, I can show you some of my Berzerkers while waiting for me to finish with that:

#17 ·
I like the berzerkers but they look unfinished to me. Are they still WIP? I don't know that you used fewer colors than on the word bearers, but something is missing.
. . . I think it's the trim.

While you didn't paint the rivets on the word bearers you did do the armor trim. I staunchly believe a chaos marine is incomplete if the studs haven't been painted, but I think that's doubly true berzerkers.

A brass or bronze trim and painting some/all of the rivets will make a world of difference.

Keep up the good work!

#18 · (Edited)
Actually, I painted my berzerkers after a scheme I found in the former CSM codex, the warband "the Knights of Blood" http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Knights_of_Blood_%28Warband%29#.UrRamIV5kql, (mainly because I liked the symbol) so yes, I believe I am finished with them. Actually, there are quite a lot of warbands without trim paint. I do in fact have a rhino painted for them as well, but that one is not at hand at the moment.

#20 · (Edited)
No, it is freehand, actually. Have always liked juggernauts, so therefore I liked how the KoB:s design looked (if you have the former CSM codex, you can take a look at them there).

Think I'll sit down and paint my champion today (power sword)...

#22 ·
That's too bad.
Oh well, here's those zerks' Rhino:

Should have a champion and another cultist finished pretty soon as well.

#24 ·
I'm glad to hear that - I have always liked the juggernaut and its look.

To continue, I here have a couple of cultists, a few csm and a terminator finished:

That's it for now; now working on some more cultists (one with flamer, f.ex.). Should come relatively soon.

#26 ·
That sword is in fact a GK Nemesis Falchion. I decided to use that one instead of the regular CSM power sword, as I thought theirs was a bit ugly for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.