Building Scenery/Terrain Tools - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-10, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Whiskey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Building Scenery/Terrain Tools

Hello Emperors Children,

Our creative imagination has no limits, the only thing that will limit us in any way is materials and tools. Here are some tools you may want to use for scenery building.

Pen Pencil + sketch paper
Craft knife/stanley knife/box cutter
Sciccors
Metal Ruler
Wire cutters
Pliers
Saw
Hacksaw
Wood or Metal files
Sand paper
Set square
A long Ruler (piece of wood does it for me) there are metal one that will last forever.
Cutting mat/board (A craft one or again a piece of wood, just dont chop up the kitchen table)
Jigsaw and a Drill (only if your working with wood bases really) Adults Only!!!.
And of course Glue!
Pva Glue
Plastic glue
Super Glue

Last of all i would recomend finding a good stable surface thats clean of dust/dirt and some old news paper to drip glue on is handy as you can just throw it out after and leave no mess behind.

This is only a guideline not all of the above are needed, depends on materials and what your building. But all in all the more tools you can lay your shiney loot stealing hands on the better (with permission from owners of course .
Since building terrain/scenery is and always will be messy stuff when it comes to runny glue and shaved plastic and wood and all our favorite foam board offcuts and shavings all over the floor, stuck to your clothes and hands. I have made many bits of scenery and a few gaming boards weather good or bad i always wished i could cut that foam easier and less messy without having to use a long craft knife or saw and hoping the blades not gone wonkey and given me a surf board shape wall. But everytime i look for the solution of buying a foam cutter it comes out expensive.

After alot of searching about on the net and reseaching how they actully work efficiently its actully pretty cheap, providing your patient and even scavenge some bits of friends or naughbors.

The mighty Foam cutting machine!

This monster will slice through foam so fast and clean you wont want to stop playing with it. Once mastered the options are endless.

Parts are and i am useing ->

Vinyl covered Chipboard + support post + 4 legs ( can be made from anything that will screw to wood, ideally blocks etc)

L-shape Bracket. Screws + 1-2 tention springs and bolts/nuts for the wire. hardware stores should do these.

Earth and Live wire, can be the same Wire cut in half (low amp wire upto say 12 volt max or will drain your power).

Power box controller - the one im using is for train sets, my old pot and pan supplied this for me, its 12 volt with a power controller for fast or slow cutting. Model train shops should sell them for around £10-£20 tops, or go Ebay or ask around i bet someone will have one.

Last of all the actual wire for cutting the foam. im sure it can be bought from electrical stores if you know what its called (nichrome Maybe, or ask for wire that will cut foam once heated), but i got mine from Hobby Craft. was £2.50 for 4 foot lengths.

In all i must of spent around £10 to make the cutter. Bits of wood were offcuts i found in the garage.

Any questions about anything please ask away or message me.

Feedback and tools you use is most welcome. Always a different result from differant tools. Hope this has helped in any way.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23102010314.jpg (959.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 23102010317.jpg (823.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 23102010318.jpg (614.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (142.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 23102010325.jpg (727.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg foam cutter.jpg (34.9 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-10, 02:41 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Pretty much how I made mine - except mine uses a commercially available plug-pack transformer and a switch for the circuit (stops wire overheating as you only trip the circuit when you want to cut).

Saves you paying a fortune for batteries with the battery powered ones.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 04:01 AM
The Yellow King

Azwraith's Flag is: Australia

isnt that really dangerous in aus because our current is 240v?

and if its okay then i shall make it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I wore my first dress about 15-16- no reason for it, I was just sat in the props room at school writing an essay and decided to try on the leopard print top and mini-skirt, even threw on a blonde wig, and I must admit the breeze to my gentlemen was a rare delight.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Whiskey's Flag is: United Kingdom

power output of your mains shouldnt effect anything, the controller unit tht heats the wire need to be arount 6-12 volts / 8-12 ohms if im correct. the box lowers the output and uses what it needs. anything over say 15 volts/ 20 ohms would just snap the wire. if in dout about the volts etc seek advice from a electical expert. the above is how i made mine and others im sure have in the UK.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 02:42 PM

STATIC's Flag is: Australia

Electrician here.....
Azwraith, if you use a DC power supply (normally rated at 12v), the most damage you will do to yourself is burn your fingers on the hot wire. I could go into it, but i'd rather spare you all the boredom.

New Nids
W/L/D
4 2 0
Necrons
W/L/D
15 5 4

Check out my Word Bearers here

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 03:04 PM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

A foam-cutter running om a modeltrain-powercontroller. Why on earth have i never figured that out ?
Very nice and simple concept +rep

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode