3 Piece gaming board - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-10, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Whiskey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 3 Piece gaming board

Hello Heresy readers!

hey im Nick from Fareham south UK, I got back into GW gaming after a 10 year Break with work/life i decided to get it going with a fully loaded gaming board project. 2 parts 3x4 foot - 1 part 2x4 foot wtih 2 sides the same so i can spin and swap ends for some variation and play skirmishes on a 3x4 and go upto 8x4 for all out mayhem. my aim isnt for vehicle mobility at all, so lots of cover, buildings, elervation and my fav sneaky places for scouts and kommandos! im aiming to get a warhouse, 2 bunkers, supply dump and a large ruined imperial cathedral on a 3x4 piece.

All feedback is most wanted as all your heads are better then my 1. I hope to get more pics will be up as i build.

Im new to the heresy site and still looking through the threads and im very impressed how the hobby/games have progressed over the years and like to say thank you for the inspiration to take on my own projects.

Im also looking for 40k/necromunda gamers in my area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06102010275.jpg (919.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 06102010277.jpg (1,003.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 07102010278.jpg (982.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 07102010279.jpg (1.00 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 06102010276.jpg (1.01 MB, 17 views)

Last edited by Whiskey; 10-07-10 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-10, 04:09 PM

Hello Nick. From what I see, I can say you sure know how to build a table. What I would suggest though, is try a little thinner as a type of Styrofoam, 'cause what you use seems a little too thick for a wall e.t.c. I assume you are using the 20mm..
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-10, 06:05 PM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Really like the castle (top left) nice work, look forward to seeing some painted and completed stuff, are you going to project log your work?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-10, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, ill get some more pics up soon. As for the foam its actully 50mm i am cutting it thinner the best i can, its the smallest i can find. i am in the process of trying to make a large foam cutter. heres the link im going off but i want 12 inches clearance at least so i can run it along a guide to cut it down better.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/new/how...Cutter.htm#top

i have almost finished making rubber molds for tiles, bricks, barrels and crates so i can make LOADS! well i hope to as long as i am useing the latex liquid rubber right.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 10:00 AM

try something like this 5,5mm thick:

http://www.barrule.com/Workshop/scra...Styrofoam.html
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 05:13 PM

El Mariachi's Flag is: England

Really nice looking table, you also happen to live very near me (I live in Whiteley, just next to Fareham). I'm a 40k player and Necromunda player although don't get much time to play just yet as I'm quite busy in R/L. Note me down though, maybe we can meet up for a game in the future?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-10, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi El Mariachi, sure we can set up a game sometime. i will be logging this as i go and try to keep it updated best i can. thanks again for the replies.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-10, 05:57 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

You are off to a great start. This is going to shape up to be one fine looking board. I for one am going to keep my eye on this threads updates. Best of luck on the project.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-10, 06:51 PM

El Mariachi's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Hi El Mariachi, sure we can set up a game sometime. i will be logging this as i go and try to keep it updated best i can. thanks again for the replies.
Had a good look at the pics tonight (only had a brief look last night as I was occupied with several things) but I've got to say, looks great. +rep! Always wanted to do a cityboard like that but time constraints have meant I've had to go for something a bit easier on time, namely a jungle board (pre-made terrain from pets at home for the most part ). I'm really looking forward to the finished thing, it already looks quite inspiring!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-10, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey, been a while had a busy few weeks.

Quick update on my project.

I wanted to start the plastering the boards and adding my craters but i was worried it would crack so i went ahead and added some 2x4 to the under side for strength and to remove any flexing in the boards.

I also made some rubber molds of tiles i made on a bit of foamboard and Barrels etc to see how they come out, the molds seem fine its getting the plaster in without air bubbles so something i need to play about with more and look into it.

Another ruined building on there and a template i cut from thin card with some different shape windows, went for a smooth wall look this time.

A bunker there aswell was fun to chop up. its sunk into the ground so should finish up nicely once the surroundings are in, went for the wide piller box style, roofs can come off also.

The larger pic with the boards is how they sit together, the third piece will be like the middle. all 3 will connect to 2 sides of the other 2 so im hoping its enough variation.

I almost have the parts to build my foam cutter so im hoping to show you guys that aswell if i succeed of course, so far its cost me less then 20.

Thanks again for your interest, comments are most welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0565.JPG (272.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0574.jpg (764.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0569.jpg (891.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0572.jpg (549.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0573.JPG (127.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0575.JPG (86.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0568.JPG (265.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0571.JPG (217.1 KB, 9 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode