Some of my terrain projects. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Model Soldier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Some of my terrain projects.

As promised in my introduction post...

Three examples of the trees and rocks formations I've built including a close up of the rock paint detail.
Rocks were made from carving polystyrene into the desired shape, painting dark grey then dry brushing with a lighter grey to pick out the details. Once dry, I washed them over with a really watered down silver then gently dabbed/dried with tissue to give a mineral ore 'sparkle' (not brilliantly shown in pictures sadly).
Trees are standard shop bought.

---
My bunker/stronghold made using the polystyrene packaging from a small remote controlled helicopter.
First, I trimmed the mould flashes off the polystyrene then coated the polystyrene entirely with a thin (ish) layer of PVA glue and covered entirely with fine builder's sand, left to dry, then I repeated the process with a slightly watered PVA for a second layer of sand.
Once dry it becomes hard as concrete, then I based it onto grass covered card and added the upper roof level, bushes, barbed wire and ladder etc etc.

---
This is the first thing I ever built about 10 years ago, using the sand covered polystyrene and the polystyrene rock techniques I mentioned above.
The step slabs were made using cut and trimmed foam card and different sized sand from the builder's sand.

---
This is my current experiment. Building trees from polystyrene and PVA glue. It's currently my favourite experiment.
This tree isn't finished yet but is actually only one piece of polystyrene.
Firstly, I cut, trim and bend a piece of polystyrene into the desired shape, painted with a dark brown then left to dry. Then I covered the entire thing with a very generous layer of PVA glue and left to dry again.
Once the PVA was dry I painted with a single coat of light brown.
As that layer of light brown dried, it cracked the PVA and revealed the dark brown undercoat, giving a treebark effect. A very satisfying result I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-10, 08:46 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

The cracked bark effect is brilliant, although the tree looks alittle thick limbed currently. Maybe this will look better once it has foilage added.

Some nice pieces here. I like the steps upto the stading stones, and I like you stone painting technique.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-10, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Model Soldier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cheers mate, I need to get some foliage together for the tree.
When I've done it I'll post up some piccies.

The bunker is definitely my favourite finished piece.
Took me about 5 days to build.
The main problem with using PVA is waiting for it to dry.
If it dried quicker, I could have easily churned out the bunker within a day, maybe two.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode