Ideas wanted for objective markers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-09, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Default Ideas wanted for objective markers

OK, here's the thing; I'd really like it if you guys could suggest (and preferably do a little tutorial) for some easy and/or cheap objective markers.

We have a small project to put together some stuff as a Black Reach introduction for people who're really clueless about 40k - they've bought AoBR, but don't know what to do with it. GW sold Macragge with a little introductory book of scenarios, they sell Skull Pass with a little introductory book and some Skull Pass scenarios were on the website; but Black Reach support has been lacking.

So along with trying to put together some scenarios here and a few other bits and bobs, I'd really like suggestions for how to make some Ork v Marine (or even generic 40k) objective markers. I thought that, as some of the greatest modellers in the known universe, some of the biggest fans of 40k in the whole history of time, and jolly nice chaps and chapesses to boot, you might like to help.

Pretty please...?

:prepared to beg cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 05:09 AM

Mivarlocht's Flag is: Germany

As for SM/Orkish objectives, could you use missile pod Bitz, or place a few weapon Bitz on a base? I'm not incredibly versed in what constitutes the typical objective (we tend to use small barrel-and-supply objectives, on a 40mm base). However, having been given a tiny 'lava' lamp keychain for Christmas, I've used it when playing against Eldar, as it looks like something they'd use, haha. They're just miniature lava lamps with glitter in the water, and a color-changing light at the bottom. I saw them for $3.99 in a store here, and you'd probably be able to find them online.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 10:33 AM

jpunk's Flag is: United Kingdom

For a computer gamey look, you could make some of your chapter / clans symbols out of green stuff or really thick card, about 5mm thick, drill a hole in the bottom of it and pin it to the base with a 3-4 cm length of wire so it looks kind of like a floating symbol. This would only really work for the chunkier chapter / clan symbols. Blood Angels players would have a hell of a time, but UM would have it easy. I'm planning on trying this soon so I could post pictures of it when I get round to it if you like.

Alternatively, for a really quick and dirty marker, glue a few pieces of sprue into an X and paint them for an X marks-the-spot type thing. You could do this with your leftover sprue from AoBR, which is a bonus, but it might look crap, which is less of a bonus. Dunno. Just an idea.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 12:15 PM

Haekmo's Flag is: Australia

well ive just about converted a few listening post (dawn of war ) as objectives for my marine armies.. tho a lil smaller than in the video game...they stand on a 40mm base and sit about 55 mm high... if i could work out how to post pic (photo buket aint working for me. god dam computer eliterate ) i would post some pics:p

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all those ideas so far guys.

Mivarlocht - pretty much anything can be an objective I reckon. After getting AoBR, I played a game with my kid 'straight from the box' but I couldn't be bothered to dig out my bits box and actually make something - sometimes I'd rather play a game than build something! - so I raided the bathroom for bits of crap. We used a q-tip/cotton-bud plastic pot (a 'communications station'), the top off a deoderant (a 'radar dish') and various plastic bottle-tops ('fuel barrels') as objectives. I've also taken to using 'Kinder-Surprise' containers (you may not have these in America, but they're certainly in Germany) as Tau fuel-pods. The lava lamp sounds great though, very Eldar (they are space-hippies after all).

Jpunk: I've been thinking about sprue too... specifically, the clear green sprue that the the templates and blast-markers and whatnot came on. I kept all mine, because that's the kind of orc I am, and now I'm looking at them thinking Necron-crystal-tech-power-rod-fuel-cell goodness, yum... but not quite coming to a decision about what to do with them... but sprue definitely makes good scrap metal, that Orks might be after or I suppose the Imperium too. Maybe if it was cut into small blocks and painted gold...?

Haekmo: keep trying with the old photobucket, would love to see your listening post, especially as I have never played DoW and have no idea what the listening posts in it look like. But I'm sure yours is better anyway!

:liking what I'm hearing so far cyclops:

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 06:05 PM
Miniature's Surgeon

Dusty's Corner's Flag is: Philipines

Message from the Corner....
Dusty is working on your request.

All the best,
Dusty
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-09, 11:29 PM

Stuntiesrule's Flag is: USA

for an objective marker me and a friend took one marine from his bitz box and made him look all beat up and the SM player basically has to make it to him and defend him for a certain number of turns.

Please Help Level My Daemons. See which one will level faster, will Papa Nurgle get his way, or will the Prince of Pleasure rule?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 12:21 AM

use a banner, cut off above the arm that is holding it and stick it to a base. you could put sandbags and/or some casualties lying around it

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Ah... the simpler times of the 1960's. When pedophilia wasn't frowned upon.
“Thou shalt not invite a Banshee to Karaoke”
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 07:36 AM

omgitsduane's Flag is: Australia

IF you got plasticard, make some simple banners, thats what I've done. Just a pole with some sheet and cut it up a little and paint it whatever. If not, piles of bodies work well.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys... and Dusty, good to know you're looking into it, I await your ideas and creations with bated breath!

Bear in mind though chaps and chapesses, the brief is easy and/or cheap; we 're looking for things beginners can do, who perhaps don't have much of a bitz box yet. So sprue, bottle-tops, broken toys, bits of packaging etc where I think we need to be coming from... imaginative use of found objects...

:use a cyclops as an ironing-board:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode