First attempt at terrain - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
GuiltySparc's Flag is: USA

Default First attempt at terrain

Worked on some terrain over the weekend, first time doing this and i think they turned out pretty well.

The rocks:
Foam board shaped with a dremal, covered in drywall spackle, spray painted black, then dry brushed with dawnstone and pallid wych flesh.

I tried covering one with grass, this turned out just ok. On my other flat top hills i'm going to try the same overall scheme but with more patchy grass cover.

Ruins:
Made from an amazon shipping box, covered in spackle, then lightly misted with black spray paint with heavier spots to look like burn damage.

Bunkers:
Keurig K-Cup boxes giving the same treatment as the ruins after having the firing points cut out. The K-Cup boxes are the perfect scale for this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 02:45 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Great stuff mate, looks real well, keep it up and have a cookie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

the best part is the only thing i had to buy was a the $1 can of black spray paint and the $8 board of foam. I had everything else and the foam gave me a boatload of hills.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:19 PM

Relise's Flag is: England

Excellent work They look really good.

One quick practical question... On the rocks - will a figure stand on the middle 'step' as it looks a bit small from the photo? It's a real pain if the ledge is a bit small so the figures base sticks out and it falls off at the slightest knock of the gaming table!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

The small rock on the left can hold one infantry base on it without it falling off. The middle step on the right rock can comfortably hold a couple models. The bottom step of that one is about 6" long.

These were my test pieces that I wanted to try out the painting scheme on before doing my bigger hills. In the picture that has the mossy rock you can see my two bigger hills that have fully flat surfaces that can fit 10 or so infantry models. Those bigger (white) hills are also what the foam looked like after the spackle but before the painting.

Last edited by GuiltySparc; 03-09-15 at 03:29 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I can snap some pictures with different size models for scale if you guys are interested. When i was shaping them i used a marine, terminator, and dreadnought to check the scale.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:36 PM

Relise's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
I. When i was shaping them i used a marine, terminator, and dreadnought to check the scale.
That's cool, I was just checking you had measured them. Would have been frustrating after all that work to find out they didn't work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:37 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

is nice to see someone building scenery from scratch, its one of my favourite parts about the hobby, sadly i dont get time to do it any more

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I was really hesitant at first having never done it before but after seeing that foam board is so cheap i decided to go ahead and try it out. The spackle was improvised since i happened to have a 10lb tub of it sitting the closet. I figured it would give a good texture to the buildings and was pleasantly surprised but how it looked on the foam hills. I'm really happy with how they turned out and glad i decided to build it myself rather than buy premade pieces.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode