Hmmmm basing with sand and THEN gluing the models on issues..... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Default Hmmmm basing with sand and THEN gluing the models on issues.....

So more on my beggining of an army after much time away. Got the sand basing kit from GW, got my PVA, put a nice base of it on, tidied it up, cool. Now i've gone to glue my models legs to them.....and it's not really sticking all that well.....should i be using PVA instead of super glue? Spray the base to get the sand to stick together and bond a little better, or more superglue and leave for a lot longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 12:52 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
So more on my beggining of an army after much time away. Got the sand basing kit from GW, got my PVA, put a nice base of it on, tidied it up, cool. Now i've gone to glue my models legs to them.....and it's not really sticking all that well.....should i be using PVA instead of super glue? Spray the base to get the sand to stick together and bond a little better, or more superglue and leave for a lot longer?

Depending on the type of terrain i'm basing I usually glue my models to the base first then work on the coloring and base design. But inf i go the route you have i almost always use superglue. but i will also use my hobby drill to Pin the model to the base so i don't have to worry about it coming off as easily.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 12:56 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Depending on base size I usually superglue some 1mm plasticard to the base where my models feet will go and fill the rest of the base with sand, rocks, twigs etc then glue the model to the plasticard once painted

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Dammit, wish I had thought of these before! Need to go out and get a hobby drill, pins and blue tack, as well as find me some plasticard.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 12:58 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
Depending on base size I usually superglue some 1mm plasticard to the base where my models feet will go and fill the rest of the base with sand, rocks, twigs etc then glue the model to the plasticard once painted
I actually have never thought of doing this until this very second. Thanks for that tip Ratvan

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

For now, I've just carefully scraped away footprints into the sand and superglued away. Works for this time round.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 02:36 PM
ItsPug's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use the "gel" type superglue to stick my models to the base if its already been completed, it gives a much better grip than the normal liquid types. so much so that if the model comes off the base it normally takes the sand with it.

Overall Tournament Game Results W:78 D:22 L:32
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 03:28 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
I actually have never thought of doing this until this very second. Thanks for that tip Ratvan
No bother at all, its a great way to use up small offcuts discovered by accident (got some stuck and a base and had to cut around the glue to save as much as possible)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPug View Post
I use the "gel" type superglue to stick my models to the base if its already been completed, it gives a much better grip than the normal liquid types. so much so that if the model comes off the base it normally takes the sand with it.
Yeah that's pretty much how i've fixed it this time round. Pulled the legs back off and the sand came with it. Scraped a bit more off the base with a modeling tool, then superglued as normal. Having sprayed them as well, the paint does seem to have fixed the sand in place more. Almost painting time!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-15, 10:21 PM

Tankworks's Flag is: Canada

I usually place my terrain bits, sand etc. on the base then place the figure on and into it and then drip liquid CA over it all. The glue seeps in and around everything and binds it all together. Modifications and painting can still be done after the initial mounting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode