Why spend so much money when all you need is at home? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-08, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Default Why spend so much money when all you need is at home?

Me and my friend (leham89) are in the process of building a six foot by four foot battle board and in total weve only spent around twenty quid!!! you see all of our scenery is bits and pieces that weve found around the house. For example:- i saw sum sheets of low density polystyrene (the white one(excuse my spelling)) and cut it using a stanly knife or you could use a modelling knife, and have thought of an idea to create an oil rig which has been abandoned. When i first thought of the idea liam was intrigued by it and we went straight to work. We made the main floor, pillers and the first floor, we then found a BAKED BEAN can, washed it out and glued it on to where we thought it looked best, we then used old cable and striped part of the wire and fraued the copper to make it look like a broken power line. the only problem, it broke, yes it broke. We don't know how but the legs snapped, probably because of the way we put it away, we don't know. i intend to either fix it or simply buils another one. another idea that i discovered in my bed room, was plastic soldiers, the green soldiers? like off of Toy Story, if you've ever seen it, well they came with barrels, crates, boats. All i had to do was simply paint them and cut them into the way i wanted, if needed for boats or somthing. but seriously, next time your sitting around and you think, "I'll paint or bulid some warhammer." simply look in your garden, around the house, BUT ASK PERMISSION TO TAKE THINGS, i'm sure you can find something, like pebbles; put two or three on top of each other, drill through the centre, very carfully, and pin them together, or glue them with a very strong glue. Add some sand or static grass around the joints and paint the rocks. I tend to base coat it black and drybrush on top, when dry, grey. any ways, ill think up some more ideas and leave them on here, please tell me if you found any of this helpful and improve any of what i said if you like. feel free. and have fun modelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-08, 11:37 PM

Shamrok's Flag is: USA

He is right people can make some of the best terrain can be made by improvising crap you could throw away or recycle

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-08, 12:08 AM

countchocula86's Flag is: Canada

Pics would be greatly appreciated! But the point is a good one.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-08, 12:09 AM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

when i read the part about the green toy story soldiers i was already assuming you meant that you used them as imperial guard. that would've been funny (and cheap). anyway, i improvise a lot too, cuz i have no money to spend on architect supplies so i keep soda cans or anything else i can find and add it to my bucket for my upcoming battle board.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 10:22 PM

leham89's Flag is: England

yeh thats very true buddy, the amount of scenery we've made from crap is unreal, the only thing we've really spent money on is expanding foam (man i love that stuff) we'll av to get some pics to show these guys, oh yeh ive finished the stepped hill and now just needs to be textured with sand then painted, l'll post some pics soon guys. (which was made from expanding foam) im going to take some pics of it before and after and post a tutorial for you guys,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 12:32 AM

Chapter: Limp Bizkit's Flag is: New Zealand

i made some pretty good lookin stuff out of some polyclay that my sister(who fancies herself an artist) left when she went to uniFINALLY
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...light=polyclay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
And the more you egg him on with outrageous claims the more he incorporates those whimsical theories into his own trough of troll spew- every now and then he returns to Heresy, shits all over the Fluff section before being chased off.

He's the 40k Fluff equivalent of Wasps at Summer time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode