Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Preventing warping of wooden bases?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Nacho libre 
#1 ·
Hi lads,

I had a quick question, does anyone know of a way to counteract the warping that can occur when you use a wooden base for scenery? I have some cities of death buildings which are starting to behave like rocking horses... I saw somewhere that painting the underside might help to prevent this. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

#4 ·
As far as i know you cant prevent further warping on wood if it already happened, its just about the type of wood that you used.
If your buildings are not painted you can use this brown or in some cases transparent liquid that prevents the wood to collect water/humidity and also hardens it. However i do not remember the proper name for the liquid, so if anyone knows =3)

#9 ·
To prevent warping use varnish. Just coat the wood after painting with transparent varnish or use a ready coloured varnish to get the colour wanted. If wholly painted (not varnished) it slows down warping and depending on the moisture levels stops it completely, but varnish stops/prevents it 100%. Of course there is water based and solvent based varnish - water based should be good enough indoors, but if you store it outside use solvent (rainproof).

Then to correct existing warping: Put the wood in hot water - let it soak for 5 mins and then you should be able to bend it back into shape (If it doesn't bend add more hot water and let it soak a little longer) Then dry it and paint it and varnish it. Thin plywood is very easy to adjust this way and can be used create round shape terrain e.g bridge

Just try to identify the warped bits and seperate them from the building so that you have flat bits (well they will be almost flat since they are warped :)) before using that.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.