40k ruins, feel free to help with ideas for finishing... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Default 40k ruins, feel free to help with ideas for finishing...

Here is a selection of ruins I am making, let me know what you think and/or ideas to help me finish. I play Chaos Space Marines. Jon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 03:09 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

You have a solid start here on ruined buildings.

Ok, here's a bunch of few suggestions (in no specific order) to get you moving in a more complete direction:
  • Texture the bases. I see you are doing that on at least one of these, but it helps turn a basic substrate into "ground". Gravel or sand are good. I often use a few different grits of train ballast. I bought 2 different grades of ballast years ago, mixed them in a pasta sauce jar, and have used them for all my miniatures and many terrain pieces ever since.
  • Add some small/medium rocks . . . . or materials that stand in for rocks such as chucks of cork.
  • Add debris from the destroyed buildings to their bases. Consider how much damage your buildings show . . . where are all the missing pieces? Perhaps they could be piled into embankments for cover as though the building was quickly re-fortified.
  • Where the walls are broken build in some scale re-bar. Little bits of wire or broken and painted cocktail sticks help.
  • Add destroyed furniture or props such as un-exploded ordinance, coils of wire, piles of shells, or other things which will make this seems like a battlefield and not a newly born, pristine "ruin."
  • In addition to using sand or scale gravel/ballast to texture the bases consider purchasing artist's gesso. Gesso is a primer, sealer, and stiffener used by painters on stretched canvases. If stippled onto the walls of the building it can add a wonderful texture. Gesso also adds a lot of durability, and is wonderful at protecting Styrofoam terrain.
  • Wall and joint compound (spackle) is also really helpful for adding concrete textures to foamcore and cardboard buildings. This stuff can also be a wonderful addition to landforms.
  • PVA glue can also be used on its own, mixed with paint, or mixed with gesso to add an additional harder layer to protect and seal foam terrain.
  • Also be careful what you use on terrain materials with paper in them such as foam core, because unless the foamcore is sealed before painting once a watery paint is applied it will often warp. Sealing with gesso can help. Or priming your pieces before gluing them together, but there are a number of steps to this to ensure that they don't warp.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Brilliant tips and advice there, thank you for taking the time to tell me that. I will get onto that next and post some pictures of the next stages.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 11:55 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Another idea for rubble is to take all those old sprues you were going to throw away and clip them into small pieces. These can then be mixed with pva and glued in place as rubble.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again. Inspiration comes to me in sudden bursts so just waiting for the next one to arrive
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 09:52 PM

fotoshark's Flag is: Canada

Hey man, it looks awesome so far off to a great start. If you don't mind me asking, it looks like you're using magazines/paper pages for some texture to the walls there or is that something else? Also what material did you use on the one in the first photo?

A suggestion, or an idea rather. I watched a tutorial on how to make a similar building as this with the after 'blast' effect, they used tooth picks on the floor edges to simulate rebar... Just an idea Happy building.

- T.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Cheers. Yeah it is newspaper and pva but to be honest it may come off as its quite loose although it may just need lots of coats.

The first ruin is lots of small bits of toilet tissue and pva, built of quite thick. The floor/ledge is held in place by a piece of spruce. Will put a pic up of that part tomorrow.

Been thinking about the re-bar effect, will need to look at a picture to get the idea of exactly how this looks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Here it is

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 05:30 PM

fotoshark's Flag is: Canada

That looks pretty good so far man, check this video out
It's where I got the idea from

- T.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode