What scale should I use to make 40k roads and bridges? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Starship Trooper's Flag is: USA

Default What scale should I use to make 40k roads and bridges?

I want to make some roads and bridges but I want the scale to be right? How many inches wide is the norm? Sorry if this has already been talked about elsewhere.

Thanks for any help guys!

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
~Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 01:40 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

speaking of scale has anyone noticed that guardsman are nearly the same height of a space marine- arnt space marines supposed to be like 7 and a bit feet tall ? guardsman are supposed to be an average 6 foot, but anyway trooper what type of bridge are you doing? a highway bridge, a park bridge, a river bridge ? they are all different sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm most concerned with the width of the roads.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
~Stephen Hawking

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 02:28 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Depends a bit on the road.

Highways are usually about 4m lane width
Urban roads are about 3 to 3.5
Rural .... whatever but can be as little as 2.5m or even just the track of the wheels

A bridge will usually have another metre or so clearance, minimum.

So a bridge on an Urban road would probably be about 9m wide (2x3.5m lanes and a metre either side)

9m = 354"

GW Minis are "28mm scale" which is around about 1:64 scale so that would mean you bridge would need to be about 5" wide (354/64).

Not sure how that would compare with a GW vehicle tho'. If I were doing it I would scale my bridges to accommodate the vehicles.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 02:34 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

It depends upon you. What units do you want to be able to navigate the road/bridge? Rhinos/Chimeras would need about 4-5 inches (single file), a Land Raider would probably need about 6 inches, and a Baneblade... probably wouldn't (use the road). An additional consideration is if there are going to be buildings/ruins on either side (like Cities of Death) and if you want to be able to disembark units from the access points.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 09:41 AM
Macrocalculator's Flag is: Netherlands

Realistic scale and wargaming tend to mix poorly. Look at the size of a Wave Serpent for example and imagine 12 Eldar fitting in there, even 10 marines in a Rhino would make it hard for them to get out. Making a realistically scaled 2-lane road using the 3 inch width of Rhino as a guidance would mean you need a 6 inch road. That would make it a seriously large piece of terrain. The same problem applies to rivers by the way. I would consider a 2 to 3 inch road (or river) to make it look reasonably impressive without dominating the table.
What really helps when planning roads and rivers is to cut out the planned size on paper and put that on your wargaming table, that makes it easier to spot how the terrain will fit on the table.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 09:45 AM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

1:35th terrain should do for roads and bridges, as they have no set size and if they are military themed they should easily fit most if not all basic 40k vehicles on

Although for roads you might be better off money wise just using strips if wood with sand on
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice guys!

~Stephen Hawking
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 05:49 PM

the-ad-man's Flag is: United Kingdom

i'd recommend the underside of the bridge be big/wide/deep enough for a rhino/chimera/trukk to comfortably fit through if you are looking for that, whilst the bridge would ideally be wide enough for a rhino and a model each side to unlock it's FULL GAMING POTENTIAL!!!

Ive started to update this project loge again, you should all check it out. it has some stupid things on it, and some fun things on it haha

Order of the Crimson Dawn (Rogue trader pirates, using Coteaz henchmen spam rules)

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=96746
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-12, 05:20 AM

space_cleric's Flag is: USA

what scale trains work? h-o? o? the models and tracks are awesome... to have a derailed train on a woodland board would be cool. anyone know what tracks and train cars work right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Scenery & Basing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode