Blades in the Shadows - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Blades in the Shadows

The Imperium is in it's darkest days to date. Enemies assail it from every side, and the Imperium's victories is measured in worlds, no individuals. In such a bleak environment, men, women and children cannot expect any help from their foes. There is no deliverance, there is no hope, there is no salvation. There is only the impending darkness and doom. In such darkness, there are few who appear, unannounced and well armed to free the blighted citizen of the Imperium. These are the Adeptus Astartes.

In the galactic south, the Imperium is caught between the lithe blade of the mysterious and graceful Eldar and the blunt and brutal hammer of the Orks of Octavius. These planets cannot stand alone, even with their own garrison of billions of Imperial guardsmen, they will fall before their enemies. Men clutch their families and soldiers offer prayers to a distant God-Emperor on a planet called Terra, and pray for a quick death. But, not all is lost. For the might of the Space marine chapters has sent forces to free these blighted planets. Some are almost as blunt as the forces they fight, and some utilise more subtle means. One chapter is renowned for such tactics. They are the Deliverance; they are the Blades in the Shadows; they are the Raven Guard.

So, this is an RP based around a strike force sent by Captain Shrike of the Third Company to help free the world of Belliam VII, a small but important forge world in the galactic south. They have been given the Battle Barge Talon of the Raven, all the supplies they will need, as well as veterans and scouts of their company. In short, they are the relief for this world. Leading this counter-invasion it Chaplin Ares and Librarian Loronzo, men under Shrikes command who are well accustomed to the field of battle. You will be joining them from the initial small raids and guerilla warfare up to the final counter-attack to sever the head of the enemy commander.

Rules:

• No God-modding. Absolutely. Anyone who is persistent in this (i.e. continues to do so after a single warning from me) will have their character killed. It's boring for everyone else and makes the RP boring. So don't do it and we can have fun! This includes taking control of other players. Obvious, if you have talked it through with them, and you two have worked it out, that's fine. But don't be posting stuff like “Player A was about to be beheaded by an enemy, but I rushed in to save him...” because, once again, it gets very boring, very quickly for that person.
• Please don't try to take control of the story. If everyone is pulling it their way, the whole thing will pull apart. The story I have planned is good, I promise.
• As GM, I reserve the right to request/demand any changes be made of a character; in the end, no matter what you may want the GM's say is the final one.
• Please try and keep up with updates. If you have a reason for not being able to post, let me know, and I'll make sure you are taken care of. But if you just skip out on 3 or so updates, I'll assume you have left the RP and kill your character.

Right, that's my slightly hard-ass side there. I'm a nice guy really, I promise!

Now, we can get to the fun part, the characters!

Squads:

• 5 man tactical squad: 1 sergeant, 1 special weapon. Joined to Librarian
• 5 man assault squad: 1 sergeant, 1 special weapon. Joined to Chaplain

Note: Sergeants will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Character Sheet:

Tactical squad

Name: (First and last, you don’t get to decide your nickname, other players do; and that does not mean you’re going to always like the nickname you get.)

Age: (Please be reasonable. You aren't veterans, but you aren't scouts either.)

Appearance: (Pretty self-explanatory. As much detail as possible. If I don't feel there is enough, I will ask for more)

Personality: (What are you like? What are your strengths and flaws?)

Background: (What have you done in your time as a marine? Tell us about your childhood. How were you inducted? What happened to you as a scout, and as a full battle brother? Anything you have done of note? Same as appearance, too little and I'll ask for more)

Equipment: Mark VI Corvus Armour/ Mark VII Aquilla Armour (Sergeants may select Mark VIII Errant armour), Frag grenades, Ammo

Note: Your supply of grenades and ammo are under my control. If I say you are low, then you are. Likewise, if I say you have rounds to spare, you do.

Weapons: Bolter, Close combat weapon.

Sergeant may exchange his close combat weapon for a power weapon/power fist/thunder hammer/etc.

Sergeant may also take a bolt pistol or plasma pistol

One marine may exchange his bolter for; a rocket launcher, lascannon, heavy bolter, plasma gun, melta gun.

Assault squad

Name: (First and last, you don’t get to decide your nickname, other players do; and that does not mean you’re going to always like the nickname you get.)

Age: (Please be reasonable. You aren't veterans, but you aren't scouts either.)

Appearance: (Pretty self-explanatory. As much detail as possible. If I don't feel there is enough, I will ask for more)

Personality: (What are you like? What are your strengths and flaws?)

Background: (What have you done in your time as a marine? Tell us about your childhood. How were you inducted? What happened to you as a scout, and as a full battle brother? Anything you have done of note? Same as appearance, too little and I'll ask for more)

Equipment: Mark VI Corvus Armour/ Mark VII Aquilla Armour (Sergeants may select Mark VIII Errant armour), Jump pack, Frag grenades, Sergeant has melta bombs, Ammo

Note: Your supply of grenades and ammo are under my control. If I say you are low, then you are. Likewise, if I say you have rounds to spare, you do.

Weapons: Bolt pistol, Close combat weapon.

Sergeant may exchange his close combat weapon for a power weapon/power fist/thunder hammer/etc.

Sergeant may also take a plasma pistol or combat shield

One marine may exchange his bolter for a flamer, melta-gun or plasma pistol

Also, I will be playing the Chaplain, and the Librarian is reserved for Heartslayer as he helped me come up with the idea for this and helped me write it. He'll post a character up soon. This is roughly what I'm looking for from the Character sheet. I do realise that the background is incredibly long, and I'm not expecting everyone to write that much, but there is nothing saying you can't

Chaplin Ares

Name: Brother-Chaplain Ares Chalimax

Appearance: Ares is 7'6” in full battle plate. His eyes are a stormy grey, with wisps of blue swirling, like the eye of the storm. His face and body is likewise twisted with scars and battle wounds, each worn with pride. His bottom jaw is a metal jaw which was lost in a combat with an Ork Warboss, which Ares subsequently killed for it's insolence against the Emperor's mighty Astartes. His right arm is entirely bionics. Whilst all marines are ambidextrous, Ares prefers to use his right hand, the bionics giving extra power behind his crozius arcanum swings.

Personality: Ares is a sober minded commander. Whilst his office demands it of him to be calm and calculated when planning battles, once in the fray, he often gets lost in a swirling melee. However, he often can reel back from it, to command his troops in the split second decisions that effect the tide of the battle. Reserves a burning hatred for anything inhuman and poses a threat to the Imperium at large, but such is demanded of all Chaplains. However, he is a powerful orator and is well known to inspire men and Astartes to deeds of unparalleled heights.

Background: Ares hails from Deliverance itself. On Deliverance, he was destined to be little more than a simple soldier, for his heart was always in battle, but his family was of no note. He had no friend in the world, far to secluded an self absorbed in teaching himself every martial technique he could. That is, apart from Loronzo. He was an outcast too, but for different reasons. Most disliked him, shunned him from regular society. But a few other whispered worse insults; witch, warlock, heretic. Ares knew of his friend powers, but the two kept it quite. Possibly some greater power conspired to keep them together.

Being the Chapter planet for the Raven Guard, there was regular recruitment drives for the Chapter, and there were often displays of strength, agility and general prowess to try and make it into the Chapter. As Ares and Lorenzo were going to compete, when they they were set upon by a dozen other guys. They challenged Lorenzo to a fight for being a witch, and Ares stood between them. “Move Ares, our fight isn't with you” was the short response, but he refused to move. Ares refused to move of his own accord, and when the alpha male of this group tried to move him, he broke his arm. A fight soon incurred. Lorenze and Ares fought like men possessed, defending one another. It only ended when 3 Astartes stepped in and pulled the group apart.

They were planning to send the group away, but the sergeant stepped in. He said they needed more recruits, and the best would be decided in the arena of combat. One weapon per person and basic armour. The last two not incapacitated or dead, would be inducted. Ares and Lorenzo were happy to compete. Lorenzo chose a halberd, and Ares chose a Gladius. The others chose a mixture of clubs and spears and swords, but it didn't matter. Ares and Lorenzo were ready. The entered the arena, not watched by other mere mortals, but by a host of a dozen and a half Astartes. Although there were few of them, the pressure on the young men was palpable. Ares was the superior swordsman of them all, forcing his enemies to step into his short-sword's range, where his fists were just as much weapons as his sword. Lorenzo, however, was not so skilled. As Ares dispatched the last his foes, Lorenzo was about to be struck down by the largest member of the group of youths. At the young man's club came towards his head, Lorenzo panicked. The sword stopped mid-air as it collided with a barrier of invisible energy.

Until now, the Astartes had remained mute witnesses to the fight, but now several were muttering things to themselves (into their vox-beads) and two were on their feet, their hands at there weapons. Lorenzo quickly disarmed the man and incapacitated him. Ares new the look that flashed across the marines. Ares panicked to and hurled his Gladius at one of them, who caught it with a flick of his wrist. Ares and Lorenzo knew they were doomed. But through the darkness strode a enigma of a marine. His name was yet to become legendary, but his eyes were just as piercing in the centuries to come. A sergeant named Kayvaan Shrike walked out through the marine, an Astartes in blue behind him. “What are your names?” he asked, and the answered him, to afraid to remain silent. “Lorenzo, this is Ezekyle. He is a Librarian. He teaches people with abilities like yours. Go with him.” The marine's tone brokered no disagreement, and so Lorenzo followed, and Ares would not see him for several decades, until these three men were once again gathered. The marine turned to him now, and Ares bore the full weight of his stare. “You interest me. You have some of the best swordsmanship I have seen in someone your age. You'll make a promising recruit.” That was the last words the mortal Ares heard.

Ares' training was fairly un-remarkable. His aim with a bolter and sniper was always proficient, but, his forte was always with killing his opponents with his combat blade and bare hands. He was brought up to the rank of full battle brother. As per the tenants of the Codex Astartes, he was then inducted into the Devastator company of the Raven Guard. His personal weapon of choice was a heavy bolter, it's high calibre, high number of rounds allowed him to deliver swift justice to numerous enemies of the Emperor. But, it was not his heart. When he was moved to being an assault marine, then he came into his element. Being able to look his enemies in the eyes as they died, that was where his zeal lay. That was where he found his Chaplaincy. He quickly became the sergeant, known for his bellowing praise and righteous fervour, but also his tactical mind. In a combat with a Ork warboss, the warbosses power klaw clove his bottom jaw off. Ares crushed his skull with his own thunder hammer, and then took his squads flamer to the warbosses standard. He couldn’t speak his hate, but his sign was clear. Him and his squad single handily broke the back of the ork uprising, lead by Ares example. Since then, his deep set hate for xeno’s and traitors alike has become deeply imbedded in his psyche, so when his company’s Chaplin was killed, Ares picked up his Crozius and lead his men to victory. There were discussions about him being allowed to become a chaplain without having been a tactical squad. The debate was not resolved until the master of the company called Ares himself in to speak for his right to Chaplaincy. His powerful oratory skills came to the fore, an asset few knew he had, and his righteous fervour was converted into a passionate speech. Since then he has held the office of chaplain.

He has moved from company to company, passed around as an asset to the company, rather than a permanent fixture. Finally, and most recently, Ares was moved to the Third company, and came face to face with two other Astartes he recognised well. One, his new captain, was the man who had allowed him to join this noble chapter. As with their first meeting, Shrike regarded him coldly, but Ares was no longer the child back on Deliverance. The second, he knew even better. Clothed in the blue of a Librarian, his oldest friend; Lorenzo. Since then, the two of them have provided advice to the infamous captain, as well as leading campaigns in their own right. Now, the pair have been sent by their captain to the galactic south, to defend vital planets to the Imperium from the xeno’s invaders, and Chaplain Ares is itching to bring the Emperor’s justice to the xeno’s freaks.

Equipment: Chaplain armour, Rosarius, Jump pack, Melta-bombs, Krak grenades, Ammo

Weapons: Crozius arcanum, Hand-flamer, Bolt pistol

Approved characters:
Assault squad:
- Sergeant Orate Pericles (Lord Ramo)
- Grash Victor (The Thunder of KayVaan)
- Sven Roderick (unxpected22)
-
-

Tactical squad:
- Sergeant Sale Krine (deathbringer)
- Garran Socoles (FORTHELION)
- Samiel Absalom (xianren)
- Gabriel Knarick (Sibern)
-
So, after all that being said and done, who will join me?

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 01-01-11 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 10:23 AM

The Thunder of KayVaan's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm up for it, because i have an obligation to join because of my username, and because i've always wanted to play as a Raven Guard marine. I'll edit this post in a minute to my character sheet, I'll be an assault marine, just have the background to do.

EDIT: That was one long bloody background i had to do! Sorry for the wait!

Index Astartes: The Forgotten Hunters
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums ...ad.php?t=75470
"Don't forget to check your teabag for pockets of coffee"

Last edited by The Thunder of KayVaan; 12-11-10 at 12:44 PM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 11:21 AM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Ill hit up a tactical squad marine
when i get into uni today

will you decide who gets to be the sergeant or is it first come first serve?

edit probably tomorrow

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig

Last edited by deathbringer; 12-11-10 at 01:28 PM.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 11:28 AM

Lord Ramo's Flag is: England

Mate I will post up a character later if you could hold me a space.

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 12:44 PM

The Thunder of KayVaan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Name: Grash Victor

Appearance: Stand as the average height of a space marine, slightly slimmer than one though. His Grey eye often look like they’re looking into nothingness and he has very short brown hair, that is of course is when he takes his helmet off, which is rare. Three long, talon-like, scars look raked across the right side of his face. A small canister is often hung from his belt, though what is in there is, apart from Grash Victor, is anyone’s guess.

Personality: He is a talkative member of the squad, always asking questions at the sergeant or squad leader, to get a better view at what he is facing or to gleam information to further his own private goal. As much as he is talkative, he has trust issues, though very little people know why. When people bring up the subject, he’ll often change the subject and give a pained look at the person bringing up the subject. He often charges into the fray at first chance, loving the whirling combat that is Melee and often selects a hard opponent for him to fight, gaining more experience for future battles.

Background: His childhood often resolved around his family, Born upon an agricultural world. He often played games of hide and seek with his two brothers, around in the forest and around the farm. While one of his brothers was very good at seeking, Grash was brilliant at hiding, something which would come in handy later on. However the last brother was rather bad at the game, and instead often stayed home when the other two went out to play. On one day, where the sky was dark and the sun setting, giving out a red glow, Grash was hiding inside a tree, waiting for his brother to find him. Grash peeked out of the tree, a little hold just big enough to be able to see through, and breathed as silently as he could, not wanting to give away where he was hiding. A Pitch black shadow slowly crept behind Grash’s brother, Unknown to both brothers. Before either of them could blink, the shadow engulfed Grash’s brother and disappeared. To Grash, it looked like Grash’s brother had just disappeared into thin air.

Enticed, which he thought was a clever trick, Grash climbed out of his hiding spot and tried to find his brother. He was nowhere to be seen and Grash was starting to get worried, as it was almost night and they should be going back for supper. Grash ran back to his father, telling him that he couldn’t find his brother. His father told Grash “He’ll most likely be back in a couple of minutes”. Grash wasn’t so sure but sat down and had his supper, his other brother sitting next to him. When they finished supper, his father was also worried, and so Grash’s father got a couple of the towns folk and the scoured the woods. When Grash’s father came back, Which Grash had thought they had found him, instead, they had come back with Grash’s brother’s ripped clothes that were slightly bloodstained. Grash hugged his father and started to cry. His other brother looking sorrowful, as if he could have done something.

Five years later, Grash now fourteen, He had grown closer to his other brother, Delion than the one they had lost. They were working on the farm plantation in their back garden, not old enough to work on the main plantation which they paid tithe to the imperium. Delion was cutting down the already grown crops with a scythe while Grash was using a hoe to get the soil ready for the new seeds. Grash noticed a small trail of smoke rising from inside the village, thinking in was just someone using their chimney, and focused back on the job at hand. Only when he heard screams and black smoke rising did he then decide to see what was happening, Delion behind him. They climbed up their thatched roof to see, and they could not believe what they saw.

A band of Cultists was burning the village down and either shooting survivors or taking them, for what purposes, Grash and Delion did not know. The people that escaped seemed to be gathering weapons, tools, anything they could get their hands on and were massing at the town hall. Knowing that if they ran, they would just be shot, Grash and Delion Headed towards the town hall and listened in at what would be the battle plan. Their father was not there and Grash and Delion felt sorrow but knew that they had to survive. Their job in the battle plan was to pick off those at the sides when they attacked. As Grash was naturally a very good hider, He and Delion went to where they would go.

They hid onto of the roofs of the houses beside the road, Making sure that the chimneys block their bodies from the cultists. A group of five split off from the main group and headed towards the houses. Three entered the house below Delion and two entered the house below Grash. Grash nodded to his brother and together they jumped on the roof, making a hole so they would fall down to surprise the cultists. Either by luck or skill, Grash had managed to land on the head of one of the cultists, breaking the cultist’s neck and leaving one cultist already. The cultist had a crude, rusted sword, but thankfully, no pistol. Having very little fighting experience, the cultist had managed to force Grash back to the wall, cutting the hoe in two. However, before the cultist could kill Grash, The cultist was decapitated by Delion.

Grash nodded in thanks to his brother, wondering how in the world Delion had killed three and found time to aid his brother, but proceeded to put the cultist’s bodies away, so that when the next group came, they would enter the houses without suspicion. Grash took the rusted blade from the dead cultist and climbed on the roof again, waiting for the next group to come. Grash learned quickly at how to fight, and in the end, He and Delion had killed nineteen cultists between them. They heard cheers of men so they left their hiding spots and walked towards the noise. Grash, not sure that they were the cheers of the villagers, told Delion what he thought, and they both climbed upon the roofs once more, and were horrified at the sight they saw.

A boy, looking no older than sixteen, stood above Grash’s and Delion’s Father, blade next to his throat. Thirty or so cultists were cheering and chanting. The boy had an evil grin on his face, his red eyes that had great power behind them. He looked to all the cultists and asked “What does Khorne wish?!” Grash and his brother were horrified that the boy was a servant of the dark gods. “BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!” was the reply that came from the cultists, and with one swift motion, The boy decapitated Grash’s father’s head and held it aloft, Blood dripping down the neck and the body fallen to the ground. The boy, still with a wicked smile upon his lips, said “This man was my father, but I now have a new one!” Roars of cheers were heard from the cultists, and Grash and Delion looked at each other, both thinking the exact same thought. Is he our lost brother?! The brother turned away, a red cape full of blood from the village, walked out, through the fire and the cultists turned to begin to loot.

A loud sound was heard and five black shadows descended from above. Only when they hit the ground, smashing several cultists to less than a pulp, did the two boys realise that they were Space marines from the Raven Guard chapter. The cultists were too slow, and the marines left body parts, guts and organs everywhere. Not much is known after this event to Grash, apart from that he was accepted into the chapter alongside his brother. They both were inducted into the same scout squad and were glad to have each other at their side. They departed for their first mission and it was to ambush a fuel supply against the orks. In the mist of the ambush though, one of the fuel tanks went off, causing all the orks to be incinerated and leaving only three scouts alive, both Grash and Delion included. The other scout, Keyria, Was also new to being a marine, but the sergeant was dead and none of them knew what to do. They decided the best course of action was to head towards the imperial outpost that was thirty Kilometres away.

Because of their injuries, they had to make a stop, and as it was raining, they took shelter in a cave. Keyria was panicking slightly, never used to death or being helpless. Grash tried his best to get the young scout calm and it seemed to have stopped his mad ramblings. The weather outside turned for the worst and Lightning began to crackle, setting parts of the forest alight. As there was nothing else to do, the three scouts went to explore the cave, which turned out to have a complex system under the ground. The three scouts were cautious, as orks had a habit of living in caves, and they tread lightly, making sure that the denizens of the caverns were not awoken. They proceeded onwards and to their horror, was a chaos temple, built for Khorne, and Grash’s and Delion’s brother, Kane, was stood, making sacrifices to the blood god. Ten cultists were chanting dark words to their gods and piles of corpses were littered around.

The three scouts silently gave signals to each other, and then they moved into their positions, waiting for Grash to give the signal. As soon as his hand gave the signal, they jumped and each killed two cultists, leaving the other four and Kane alive. The scouts quickly took cover behind the rock pillars and waited for the cultists to fire. Instead of shots, they got a single, menacingly, evil, crackle of laughter. Grash looked around and saw that they were armed with dual blades, and Kane with a great sword, with red arcs racing across the black runes of the blade. Delion primed one of his krak grenades and Grash and Keyria primed their frags. They all threw at once and charged into combat. The four cultists were swiftly killed but Kane was as fast as with the great sword as if it was a dagger. He kicked Grash away with such a force that it made him spit blood. Kane’s blade had left three long gashes along Grash’s face. Delion had managed to knock Kane’s blade away and had him forced against a wall, blade pointed at throat. Grash couldn’t believe what happened in the next moment.

Keyria’s blade pierced both Delion’s hearts, Panic and fear on Keyria’s face. With his last moments, He stabbed Keyria in the head, killing the traitorous scout, impaled Kane on the wall and slumped to the ground. Grash limped towards him, Delion still alive and breathing just. “Grash, Get the fuck outta here. I’m gonna blow this hell hole up with the melta charge” Delion said, blood coming out of his mouth. Grash Realised that when they left the fuel supply facility, Delion had took the Melta bombs from the Sergeant. The two brothers placed their arms on each others shoulders, Tears dripping down Grash’s face. He nodded and ran out of the cavern complex, Leaving Delion there. When Grash Reached the entrance of the cave, a loud explosion was heard and Grash did not turn. He decided that he would trust only those that had earned it from now.

Grash Served through his scout years, nothing out of the ordinary and finished his years in the devastator squad. He had always longed to serve as an assault marine, Like the ones back on his planet which had killed the thirty cultists. He honed his Close combat skills in memory of his true brother and made sure that every kill that was big or a challenge, he scratched the initials of his brother, Delion, onto the skin or metal. Ever since the incidence with Keyria however, He kept every marine in his squad at arms length, even the sergeants.

Equipment: Mark VI Corvus Armour, Jump pack, Frag grenades, Ammo

Weapons: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

Marine type: Standard assault marine

Please, I beg of you, Don't make me write more background!

Index Astartes: The Forgotten Hunters
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums ...ad.php?t=75470
"Don't forget to check your teabag for pockets of coffee"

Last edited by The Thunder of KayVaan; 12-11-10 at 12:46 PM.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Sergeants are on a first come first served basis

And The Thunder of KayVaan, I think your background is too short and you need to write more... I'm kidding. Looks good mate. You are in. I'll add and approved characters list up at the top.

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 12-11-10 at 02:39 PM.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Might I point out that the Raven Guard, though a codex chapter in some aspects, do not quite adhere to it in the area of company organization. All of their companies are, from what I remember, battle companies with their own scouts and veterans. It would be the reason why they are described as highly autonomous units, not needing parts of other companies for certain things.

Company X wouldn't need members of company Y because it lacked veterans, for example.

Overall though, looks pretty interesting Deus.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:03 PM

Lord Ramo's Flag is: England

Assault Marine Sergeant.

Name: Sergeant Orate Pericles

Appearance: Orate is about average height for an Astartes, but is broader than most of his other brethren in his squad. He has fairly shortly cropped brown hair, slight hints of light brown shine through the darker parts. His eyes are a fair blue, full of confidence and trust in his brothers. He normally wears his helmet unless out of his armour or in briefing. His face is heavily scarred from his time fighting the greenskins, and becoming a sergeant.

Personality: Like most Raven Guards Astartes Orate has a real love for the citizens of the Imperium. He will always do his utmost to protect the citizens of the Imperium that have been abandoned by the Imperium. Orate fights as hard as possible and is very patient whether it is waiting in ambush for a target or stalking through dense terrain. He doesn't question his orders and is loyal to his squad and chapter. His main weakness is that he cares too much for the Citizens of the Imperium, and this has put him in dangerous situations over the years.

Orate sets a high standard in his squad, and believes that his men will show their best in the face of the enemy. He maintains a high training regime. His men are expected to be at the peak of physical combat and their aim true. As such he runs them around like dogs even if that means that he should be disliked. He will enforce this and makes sure that there is always full participation from his squad, or else they would be running punishment laps.

Background: Orate was born on a industrial world, born into a lower middle class family. His father was a factory manager and his mother stayed at home and looked after Orate and his three sisters. He adored his father when he was younger, stuck normally with his sisters all day long he had enough of female company at home and would spend as much time with his father as he could.

When he was around the age of 10 his father bought up a small house in the limited countryside after he made the equivalent of a small fortune with an innotive new product. He soon moved the family to this house and retired from his position as a wealthy man. It wasn't long after this when Orate's world was turned upside down. Just after he turned 11 an Ork Waaargh! of huge proportions descended like vultures on a carcass on the Hive World. The world was abandoned by the Imperium as they were fell back to fortify other worlds leaving several billion Imperium citizens at the mercy of the orks.

The Planetary Defence Force was swamped by the Greenskins and they began abandoning the smallest Hives and areas falling back to the capital. A wave of evacuation began as thousands of people fled in fear to the main hive, desperate to escape what was out there. Orate's family were no different, fleeing through to the hive. It was too no avail for within two years the Greenskins had taken the planet except the last Hive. The citizens were tired, hungry desperate for help. Their cries to the Emperor had gone unnoticed and hope had gone. Orate felt this keenly as his family had been butchered in front of him as the outer hive had been lost to the Orks, his father pushing him away as the Orks killed his mother and sisters.

As the Orks began their final assault all hope had seemingly been lost, the PDF started to abandon their posts, desperately trying to find some way to survive. Orate took up a fallen las-pistol and fired at the Greenskins, seeing that he would soon be dead anyhow. That was not too be however as after two years of struggling and loss the inhabitants prayers were finally answered. A full company of the Raven Guard descended upon the greenskin from behind, slaughtering their way through to the survivors, with them they had rallied several Imperial Guard regiments from the nearest world. The Raven Guard fought like Gods destroying all the orks that came near.

At the end of the day the greenskin menace had fled back into the hills and woodlands, the backbone of their force destroyed. Orate was chosen to go with the Raven Guard, showing his resilience and courage, fighting when men trained in war fled. He was trained to become a scout, taught how to fight and kill in the name of the Emperor. He was soon inducted into the Scout company.

As a Scout he was involved in several conflicts against the orks, going on campaign behind ork lines with the legendary third company providing sniper support and he and his scout squad took part in several vital ambushes helping to break the Orks that plagued the realm of the Emperor. He excelled at close combat as well, effective in silencing Sentries allowing forces to slip in unnoticed by the enemy camp. Soon he was promoted to a full brother and took a role in the legendary assault squads of the Chapter. He honed his close combat abilities further and further.

His moment of fame came in the wake of another Ork attack on an Imperial world that had been abandoned by the Emperor's forces. His squad was ordered to ambush a greenskin force and hold them in place while Imperial Guard and Planetary Defence Force troopers flanked them and helped to destroy the greenskin force. As Orate and his squad saw the greenskin force they made their preparations before leaping from cover. The drove into the enemy wiping out many foes. However their reinforcements didn't arrive, being held up by the dense terrain and Ork reinforcements. Orate and his squad were soon on the back foot, fighting to try and hold back the orks as they pushed on, intent on defeating the meagre force that stood in front of them.

Orate's sergeant soon fell to the tide of Orks, blowing himself and several ork vehicles up with his melta bombs. He left Orate in charge who led a vicious counter attack, using the sword that his sergeant had previously used. They drove into the orks with renewed vigour as they fought what was to be their last fight. Luck was again on Orate's side, the guardsmen turning up and providing covering fire for him to challenge and kill the Ork nob that was leading the detachment. Since then he has led his squad with vigour and determination for over 2 decades. In all his time as a sergeant he has lost three of his brothers under his command, each fighting the Orks. He has a hatred for the orks that few can match and has spent a lot of his time fighting them, even though he has fought other enemies as well.

Equipment: Mark VIII Errant armour, Jump pack, Frag grenades, Ammo, melta bombs.

Weapons: Bolt pistol, Power Sword and Combat Shield

Sergeant Assault Marine.

Hope that this is ok.

Last edited by Lord Ramo; 12-12-10 at 10:46 AM.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:20 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Tactical squad

Name: Sale Krine, sergeant tactical marines
Appearance: He is tall and well muscled strong in combat, a warrior of strong principle that holds his head high, his mouth a thin almost lipless line, his eyes a strong blue that holds the gaze and expresses his emotions better than his words ever could. His hair is cropped short and the black is flecked with grey and he forgoes his helm in battle, pinning it to his chest to ensure his men can always see his face. His legs are bionic, the left blown off by a stray explosion, the right he had removed as he said that he felt imbalanced, the strength afforded by the bionic limb counteracted by the weakness of his right.

Par that his face is suprisingly almost untouched par a single scar gained from a mistake with the scalpel during his caesarian birth, it is the only mark he bares upon his face, his nose strong and unbroken, though never classically handsome. He bears a rugged line of stubble, which never seems to grow.

Personality: His ambitions and talents fail to match for despite his desire to rise further than sergeant, to one day lead his own company he is destined to rise no further, in essence he is a file officer, strong of arm and stern of gaze he does not have that spark, that tactical genius needed to do more than merely follow orders.

If he sees a better way he will suggest it, but if his commander insists he will back down and take his men into an oblivion without comment. It is this lack of spark, that lack of drive that marks him as a file officer and not a commander.

As a squad leader, he is stern and taciturn, his words short and too the point keeping to himself and segregating himself from his men. He will not approach them, nor praise them, his approval noted by the mearest nod of his head or twitch of a smile upon his lips, his dissaproval a scowl or barking retort. His training regime is relentless and balances fitness with combat, shooting and subterfuge, for he expects his men to be able to move silently and with perfect discipline.
His men are in the best shape possible before entering battle, their oaths of moment pinned to his chests, his expectations a few short words almost a mantra ringing in their ears.

Background: One of the rare recruits taken from deliverance itself Sale was quiet immediately finding himself segregated from the terran recruits by simple birth right. He survived training through natural born discipline and a punishing determination to succeed. His incessant training that made up for his below average natural ability and it was only after his training as a scout, devestator and an assault marine and with his elevation to a tactical marine he showed the natural born flair and instincts that marked him out as a file officer, and not merely a file warrior.

He had a natural grit and his squads were known for reaching their objectives exactly on time... not a second before not a second later, even under heavy resistance Sale seemed to have the stoic leadership that would pull others through.

Ironically Captain shrike once tested it demanding Sale's squad though leaving at the same time reach the objective 10 minutes before he expected. Sure enough after sprinting, subterfuge and frantic close combat fighting Sale's voice came over the vox on the last second. Three words

"Suck it, captain"

His one moment of fame came when told to hold the rearguard of an imperial guard fighting retreat against the hordes of chaos. Sale was ordered to hold for exactly 20 minutes before starting his own retreat. Having found a passageway that made the numbers of the hordes of cultists useless and with the imperial guard retreat still not complete, he disobeyed his first direct order and remained holding the gap with is squad until their ammo ran dry 1hour and 20 minutes after his ordered time. He returned his hand shaking bewildered at the commendations laid upon him for his aid.

Sale has fought the enemies of the imperium for just over a century and in the 78 years he has been a sergeant he has lost 10 marines under his command. Each of their names is scratched upon his helm, each a sour point in a warriors life that has been to the letter, disciplined, straight backed and unafraid.

I'll add to this when heartslayer and other tacticals post. Hope its ok

Equipment: Mark VIII Errant armour, Frag grenades, Ammo

Weapons: Bolter,bolt pistol, power weapon.

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Both deathbringer and Lord Ramo are in. Both are very interesting characters and it is a pleasure to have you two on board!

@Darkreever: I had forgotten that the Raven Guard maintained companies had their own detachments of veterans of scouts, so will amend that part of the background.

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 12-11-10 at 05:14 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode