Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Unending Tide

[Recruitment] 
20K views 147 replies 16 participants last post by  Euphrati 
#1 · (Edited)
Segmentum Tempestus, the galactic south of the Imperium of man, region of the infamous Death Corps of Krieg, Raven Guard adeptus astartes, and the adeptus sororitas shrineworld of Ophellia VII. To its west lies the Uhulis sector, dozens of systems that supply materials to the vast machine that is the Imperium. The Prolial system is but one of these, three of its five planets rich in metals used to create vehicles for various Imperial organizations. Once every five hundred years, for a span of six weeks, the sun of Prolial sends out a burst of solar radiation that cuts off all of the planets in the system from communication between one another and the rest of the galaxy.

As predicted, the sun of Prolial cut off communication throughout the system, and roughly six weeks later its worlds began to receive communications between one another. That is, Prolial prime and Prolial III and the handful of system defense ships. Prolial IV, the outermost inhabited world of the system, remained silent. After a full day of attempted communication, several of the systems ships investigated. Four days after setting out, a single desperate word screamed through space. It represented a combination of warning, terror, and coming doom: Orks.

Of all the enemies that beset the Imperium from both within and without, none are more numerous and tenacious than the green tide of the Orks. During the six week communication loss Prolial had suffered, a space hulk had entered the system near enough to orbit Prolial IV, from deep within the hulk millions of Orks had descended on the unsuspecting world and over the course of the blackout had enslaved the populace and ransacked the planets materials.

With the blackout over and the presence of Orks known, the astropathic choir of Prolial prime sent out a call for help. But already it looked like things might be to late for Prolial III, would the same be for the entire system?

Hello everybody and welcome to Unending Tide, an RP focused on a group of PDF troopers caught behind enemy lines after aid from the distant Imperium is blunted by invading Ork forces. In the weeks since the first world of Prolial fell, the Imperium dispatched a small relief fleet including two regiments of Elysian drop troops in addition to a small crusade of Black Templars. Only Prolial prime still stands, a mining world with three major star-port cities each centered on one of three continents. As things begin, the group will find themselves on the southern continent as much of the fighting strength is wiped out; now the troopers that remain, along with a few offworlders they have come across, must make their way back to Imperial controlled land or face a never ending land of greenskins.

Rules:
-No godmodding
-As GM my decision is final, please respect that
-Eight sentences minimum per action thread post
-If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. You never know, I might let you do things a bit out of the updates boundries
-Stuff happens, thats the way life works; if you aren't going to be able to post for a while or are losing interest than let me know. The worst thing you can do is say nothing and vanish, which is the easiest way to get on my bad side.
-Post once, post a dozen times, its completely up to you as long as you can do the minimum per post

Character Sheet:
-Before you make your character, understand that this is not first come first serve, and I will ignore characters from players trying to 'reserve' a spot. If your interested thats one thing, but don't feel put down if someone gets a character up before you that you wanted because I may feel your character fits better.

Name:

Appearance: (What do you look like?)

Personality: (What is your character like? [PDF]Did your character work near the ports and had heard rumours or stories of Orks? [Elysian] is this your first time being deployed against Orks?)

Background: (Prolial prime is primarily a mining world, mountain regions and oceans splitting up the planet. Do you hail from a mining town or one of the space port cities?)

Group: (Either PDF or Elysian)

Equipment: [PDF have access to frag grenades, a combat knife, spare ammo, and sub-standard flak vest and helmet] [Elysians have access to frag and krak grenades, rebreather, a combat knife, spare ammo, and flak armour with carapace shoulder pads]

Weapons: [PDF are armed with las-carbines, single shot las weapons that can only shoot a dozen or so bolts before depleting the cell. The shots are stronger than a standard lasgun.] [Elysians are armed with Accatran pattern lasguns and either an autopistol, laspistol, or sawn off shotgun.]

One PDF character may have a flamer or heavy stubber in place of his las-carbine.

One Elysian may replace his lasgun with the Mk IVc variant (underslung grenade launcher) but must take a pistol. If this option is not chosen than one Elysian may replace all of his grenades and pistol/shotgun with demo-charges.

Characters:
Prolial Prime Defense Force
Lord Necross as Dominous Krassus 'The Heavy'
Deus Mortis as Alec Greiner 'The Steady'
The Tall One as Zachariah Thede 'The Scholar'
Iron-Within as Liam Caul 'The Survivor'
komanko as Silas Keldor 'The Average'
Asamodai as Jakon LaVeer
Khorne's Fist as Gallan Robickai

Elysian 173rd Drop Regiment
unxpekted as Tobias Lengen 'The Egotist'
dark angel as Elias Lengen 'The Snaggletooth'

Gebrin Crusade
Euphrati as Initiate Theodoricus Gervas 'The Last'

Note: I am looking for more PDF than Elysian characters; there is a maximum of three Elysians allowed and I will not accept new ones if there are fewer PDF characters.

See less See more
#97 ·
Pretty good, update just went up and I'm eagerly awaiting or anticipating any questions you all might have and what you all do.

Sorry though, this was originally planned on going up on Friday but a few big events postponed that.

#98 ·
Greetings and salutations fellow (albeit more experienced) RPrs, I just stumbled across this lovely gem of a website a couple of weeks ago and decided to create an account here once I saw the RP section. I have spent a bit of time lurking in the action thread, and I have been spurred onwards to see if I may join Unending Tide. I can totally understand if you are not willing to accommodate further players, seeing how you already have quite the band of characters. But I couldn't help but try to see if I could make a PDF Sergeant who had been dispatched to the outpost with a smaller contingent of PDF Troopers, (with them all getting killed, or at least most) and reaching the outpost. (and incidentally bringing in another wave of the Unending Tide.

#99 ·
First off, welcome to Heresy and the rp threads- good to see the active roleplay threads generating interest.

Secondly, Unending Tide has really just started as a story. The characters have yet to even truly have time to interact with one another as they have been spending most of their precious moments trying to stay alive so far so it is a good time for new characters to be included!

Darkreever (the gamemaster of this particular roleplay) tends to be very good at seamlessly accommodating late additions into his storyline using the 'un-named extras' that he includes in most of his works. The basic premise is that your character has been there all along, just has not been spotlighted until now- like an extra in a movie/tv series that suddenly steps forward into the action and becomes a 'named' character in the story.

This allows him not to have to alter his storyline to include new characters (he may not have plans for an immediate second ork assault) and also allows the new character to understand what is going on and be integrated into the group because, according to this premise, he/she has always been there just has been un-named until that point.

Now, this may mean he limits new additions to more of a rank and file PDF trooper, but a good gamemaster knows it is less about how heroic a character is when he/she starts and more about how he/she becomes a hero through their actions in the storyline.

If you have questions/need help with your character- don't be scared to send Darkreever a message. He doesn't bite for the most part (well, unless you earn it from your own actions like god-moding, then you might get to see how sharp his teeth are :laugh:). It might take him a day or two to get back to you (life being what it is and all) but he is one of the best gamemasters I have had the honour of playing under so believe me when I say it is well worth the wait.

#100 ·
Yes I have seen darkreever's skill as a GM from just the one rp alone, and I must say the title Game Master really does fit well.

I would be completely fine with being a regular trooper too, hell, it's not my place to be picky when I am coming in late. :grin: I will PM him about any sort of 'extra' features I may add along to my character (If he is willing to take on one more player).

Anyways, thank you for your assistance and swift response, and if I have any trouble with my character I won't hesitate to ask.

#102 · (Edited)
Any Ecclesiastical preacher will tell you that anything that opposes the Emperor's might is too weak to oppose it, they say that all xenos life is inferior to humanity's supposed greatness... What a bout of hypocrisy I say. Why the hell would something oppose His will if they're not strong enough to fight us? - Final words spoken to his fellow guards before being incarceration to three consecutive life sentences in the metal refineries.

Name: Hal Varks

Background: Early in Hal's life, he had been a bashful, flirtatious, and boisterous child spurred on by his sense of pride inherit superiority. This pride was merely the product of being a descendant of two Imperial Guardsmen whom had come to Prolial IV to spend their earnings as Guardsmen to live a different life. Such people were rare indeed, for many Guardsmen either find they prefer life in the guard to regular society, or never live to have the chance to leave. Hal's grandparents, acquiring a romantic relationship while in the Guard, had worked hard to be able to escape their service together, and were able to after thirty full years of service in the Astra Militarium.

It really wasn't hard for either of the hardened veterans to find work, and they both landed security positions in one of the 'Metal Barons' mansions, giving them steady income to raise their three children. Each of their children had all learnt from their parents relatively early in life the necessary knowledge and skills to pass as a professional Guardsman. The two boys turned into men of valor and loyalty, one joining the Arbites and securing a high standing in his department, while the other was hired into the same security position as his parents, following in their well paid stead.

Hal's mother, the only daughter of his grandparents, did not fall behind her brothers, gender be damned. Valery Varks was a sturdy, loud, and a complete and total hardass. She had drifted from a few occupations, from local mine guards, to being a personal bodyguard to a few high paying merchants. But in each and every job she had, she would be forced to resign when her superiors frowned upon her blazing temper and harsh punishments.

Oddly enough, the same qualities that got her fired from more than one career made her completely perfect for her next position in the local Planetary Defense Force as a drill officer, leading the new recruits into a training regime that closely resembled hell.

Any trooper that was in her jurisdiction can say that she had weeded out about half of the recruits in the first four days of training. And even though the PDF's regulation on troop quality was lax, her commanding officers saw it fit to turn a blind eye to her harsh, and down right sadistic methods.

When Hal had been born, both of his parents had promised to provide a good quality life for their son, but keep his discipline in check, as was military custom. However, growing up, Hal had always held an air of superiority to his peers due to his family's history, and he had set himself high as a leader of a little inner city gang. Swaying quite a few young men and women, merely children some, Hal had secured himself a few blocks of territory in one of the refinery habs, and even led a takeover of another small upstart gang.

However, Hal's charisma and bravado could not outweigh his ego, and he soon found himself at the mercy of his mother's sub psychotic temper. When she had finally caught wind of her son's little gang, she was furious beyond words, and it took many nights of her husband's placating to calm her down to reasonable levels. That only gave her more time to plan out her retribution on her wayward son, and with her influential position in the local PDF garrison, she had devised clear cut operation to capture all of the gangers with "official warrants'' of search and arrest. It proved to be a perfect training operation for her trainees and her operation, excluding the arrest of her son, was a resounding success.

Even with the operation was finished and celebrated as a success, her work was not yet done. Hal knew quite well that being spared by the PDF search definitely didn't mean he was safe, far from it in fact. Finally caught in his mother's meticulously constructed web, no amount of physical prowess or bravado could save him from the ensuing punishment.

Three years went by, three long, grueling, horrendous years of torturer drudged on by as Hal experienced the same harsh training each and every day alongside the PDF troopers under Valery Varks' leadership from dawn til dusk. With, of course, the exception of him getting the hardest and cruelest of treatments in the training. The action was threefold for Valery, one benefit was to vent her ever present frustration, another was to hammer every bit of discipline and punishment out on Hal, and finally, to set an example to the other PDF trainees just what happens when you piss of the drill officer.

At the end of those three years, which he had seen about nine units of troopers go through training, Hal Varks was a changed man. No longer did he possess the ego of a noble's child, no longer did he boast and preach of his family's greatness. His demeanor had turned from haughty and entitled to reserved and professional, indoctrinated into the lifestyle of a hardened PDF trooper. He had grown physically into a stalwart, lean figure of a true warrior, and possessed some scars like a true warrior would. He had learnt proper drill and tactics in urban warfare, in riot containment and individual take-downs.

Finally seeing fit to turn her son turned man loose of his punishment, Valery let Hal seek out his own path in life, but had instilled the skills he would need far more than once in his life. Hal had sought out the same Metal Baron who had employed multiple members of his family for work, and seeing his pedigree, he was accepted immediately. He was given housing, food, and a job for probably the best twelve years of his life. He had achieved a position of personal guard to Metal Baron Elicor after years of working from the bottom dregs of night guard

As all great things, the life Hal had etched out for himself was torn away with one free-minded comment, one foolish deed that meant little to him, but to the mansion's head priest, it was a crime warranting an arrest on the charge of rebellion to the Imperial way. exactly two hours after the priest overhearing the comment, Arbites stormed the barracks and arrested Hal on the charge of treachery and was condemned to three consecutive life sentences of manual labor in the penal metal refineries.

Five more years of hell, although not as harsh as his mother's punishment, the prison was a place where you were either a submissive grunt, or a brutish overlord. Hal had heard stories of the penal factories and how men and women alike were murdered over simple scraps of crummy rations. Thankfully, with his skill in hand to hand combat, and his psychological conditioning, he persevered. But not without taking a few lives to save his own.

That's why, when a massive alien space hulk was sighted over Prolial IV, and the PDF had enacted penal recruitment of 'forgivable crimes', it seemed like divine providence. He was the first of many who were offered the position as a basic PDF trooper and he readily accepted. Hal had kept mainly to himself during the one month training of the PDF, and thankfully he wasn't assigned to his mother's camp. As expected, he had passed through the training with ease, only faltering slightly with firearm drills from five years of not holding a lasgun.

Appearance: Standing at five feet eleven inches, Hal hides many scars that mar his pale hide. His bulk is not very chiseled, but holds substantial mass from years of physical strain. His eyes are a pale blue, set deep in his skull, eternally casting his eyes in an ominous shadow. His hair is a turf of pale blond fur, hanging at the top of his head. His jawline is broad and sharp, matted with muscles. His left cheek is etched by a long snakelike scar induced by barbed wire, that runs from below his cheekbone to his lower jaw.

His time in the penal refineries, Hal had earned quite a few shiv marks, the most evident one a jagged line etched vertically under his left eye.

Personality: In the early days of Hal's life, he had held an outlook of optimism and pride over his qualities. He held bouts of bravado on the part of himself being a descendant of a mighty Imperial Guardsman, and was always eager to prove himself to be just as good as his grandfather. In later years, Hal had taken up a persona of professionalism, no more were his boast of heritage, for Hal, action and duty spoke loader than words.

With the final transition of his life, Hal became hardened and cold, caring little for others well being, In battle he is brutal and devastating with fast, viscous blows could send even the hardest of prisoners to the floor.

Equipment: spare frag grenades and las charges, sun-standard flak vest, combat knife, and flak helmet.

Weapon: Single shot regulation las-carbine

------------------------------------------------
(Welp, that's finally done, tell me what you think darkreever, and I'll make any corrections if they are due.)

#103 ·
Post will be up tomorrow.

There's been some ongoing work with my house, so connectivity has been limited.

#104 ·
Looks pretty good @Khornate Renegade, though remove the actual number of grenades and spare ammo.

#105 ·
Anyone else find it amusing that the 'new guy' got his (I am assuming here, correct me if I am wrong) post up before some of the older members?

Wonderfully written post by the way Khornate Renegade , can't wait to see more from you.

#108 · (Edited)
Alright, well glad to see you posting @Khornate Renegade but keep in mind that your characters lascarbine only has a dozen shots per cell, and you won't be able to shoot one after another (there is a second or two cycle between shots.)

With that being said, hoping to see posts from @Iron-Within, @Asamodai, @Tha Tall One, and @lord Necross.

Edit: Iron-Within, clearly you beat me to the punch in posting.

#111 ·
Sorry, I've been backed up at work the last few days and today is the first day I've gotten a breather. Will be aiming to get the update up today.

#112 ·
Busy, I can relate to busy! Great to hear though that we will be seeing one soon.

#114 ·
Just to explain why I've not posted yet (and might not for a while) I have the exams for my final year of my degree in the next few weeks. I've got 8, 6 of which are in the space of 7 days so I'm crazy busy right now. I might be able to get a post up after one of my exams (because I sometimes take the rest of those days off) but with so many in such a short space of time, I might not have that luxury. Please feel free to continue without me and I'll drop back in when they're done (around the 17th of May)

#117 ·
Hopefully exams are going well for those who have been under the gun!

#118 ·

Expect a post from me in the next 48-72 hours (depending on how my liver is doing :grin:)

#119 ·
I guess that means the promised update is going to be delayed until you get your post up Deus...

#120 ·
Or the update can be posted regardless and I'll just do a bumper-double-update post. Either way, I'll get writing and if and update goes up before I finish, I'll just expend it to include the new update

#121 ·
There's my post. Hopefully it's to everyone's liking!

Also thanks for bearing with me while my schedule was manic.

#122 ·
And Deus managed to beat me in getting a post up before the update, kudos to you for that.

I've been mulling over this update for a few days now, over the length and what I want some of the characters to do. Ultimately I've chosen, this time, to keep it a bit shorter; but there is a method to this madness!

Clearly Theo, Elias, and Tobias are more experienced than the rest of the group. The plan has always been for that fact to play a part in how the group interacts. So from this point onward you might see me giving the PDF players a bit less outright direction in place of letting the above three have a go at it.

Because while I will get a feel for how each of the characters will act/react these are still your characters first, you know them better than me. So for now, @Euphrati, @dark angel, and @unxpekted22 will be able to have their characters decide who does what in this update (read the update and you'll see what I mean.)

And for any and all PDF players don't worry, your characters will become more experienced and battle hardened as time goes on. In time they will more than likely will know what to do and be trusted to do it.

#123 ·
After a rather long absence from this site, I am throwing in a character that I hope will be able to bring me back into rps. Here is my rather rusty looking character!

Name: Markus Lineas

Appearance: A rather unassuming individual, Markus is small and thin, standing at barely 5'7" and weighing no more than 120 pounds. His hair is a light shade of auburn and since his induction into the PDF his once long but messy hair has been cut so short that people that knew him before would never be able to recognize him. Markus' eyes are a deep shade of brown, and help with his rather unassuming look. His face is kept clean shaven, though not entirely by choice but rather the inability to actually grow some noteworthy hair which leads to people mistaking how old he actually is. He is of a pale complexion, having spent most of his life growing up in one of Prolial Prime's space port cities. He has a handsome face and carries a rather infectious smile across his face at all times.

Personality: Markus is a seemingly jovial but annoying individual, loving to hear the sound of his own voice above others. Whilst he grew up on the streets of one of Prolial Prime's spaceports he learnt quickly that whilst he wasn't much of a fighter, he was able to talk his way out of troublesome situations. As a result of this he will always try and talk his way out of certain duties and situations since joining the PDF with varying degrees of success.

Markus is a fairly loyal individual, looking out for himself as well as those that he cares about above all others. He is not a particularly devout man, having witnessed the disparity between the rich of
Prolial Prime and the poor, leading him to question privately whether the God-Emperor is one worth worshiping.

Background: Markus Lineas was born to a poor family indebted to one of the local gangs. His family would harbor their illegal goods on their property before they were killed by another gang who were trying to steal black market goods from the house. As a result of his parents death when he was just a child he sent to live with his Aunt, who wished to have nothing to do with him. As a result of this he spent more time out on the streets falling into the wrong crowd and joined a gang at a very young
age as a thief, pick-pocketing what he could to survive.

He knew he wasn't a fighter from an early age and would prefer to try and talk his way out of fights with other local youths, even going so far as offering them what he had managed to pocket that day to avoid confrontations. As he grew up he became better at stealing, and as a teenager would start to charm and distract people as he pick-pocketed them, or so that one of his friends would be able to steal from their bags and such. Eventually his life as a thief would come to an end when he was attempting
to pickpocket a low level administrator charming her before her rather jealous boyfriend, who happened to be an Arbites started to pick a fight and pushed him, revealing that he had his hand in her bag and was trying to swipe what he could. After a rather serious beating he was taken to a Arbites precinct where he was given a choice, hard labor or join the PDF.

Markus found himself somewhat reluctantly joining the PDF, which is where he has been for the last three years. During that time he has attempted to do as little as possible, though he has managed to make some extra cash through procuring items as well as gaining the favor of junior Non commissioned officers through his charm and his procurement of items. He like the planet was not ready for the Orkish invasion, and found himself questioning whether he should have chosen the hard labor
over the PDF as there will be no chance of him talking his way out of this predicament.

Group: PDF

Equipment:
Frag grenades, a combat knife, spare ammo, and sub-standard flak vest and helmet

Weapons: Las-carbine

I am hoping that this is acceptable, and will obviously change whatever is asked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.