Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Unending Tide

[Recruitment] 
20K views 147 replies 16 participants last post by  Euphrati 
#1 · (Edited)
Segmentum Tempestus, the galactic south of the Imperium of man, region of the infamous Death Corps of Krieg, Raven Guard adeptus astartes, and the adeptus sororitas shrineworld of Ophellia VII. To its west lies the Uhulis sector, dozens of systems that supply materials to the vast machine that is the Imperium. The Prolial system is but one of these, three of its five planets rich in metals used to create vehicles for various Imperial organizations. Once every five hundred years, for a span of six weeks, the sun of Prolial sends out a burst of solar radiation that cuts off all of the planets in the system from communication between one another and the rest of the galaxy.

As predicted, the sun of Prolial cut off communication throughout the system, and roughly six weeks later its worlds began to receive communications between one another. That is, Prolial prime and Prolial III and the handful of system defense ships. Prolial IV, the outermost inhabited world of the system, remained silent. After a full day of attempted communication, several of the systems ships investigated. Four days after setting out, a single desperate word screamed through space. It represented a combination of warning, terror, and coming doom: Orks.

Of all the enemies that beset the Imperium from both within and without, none are more numerous and tenacious than the green tide of the Orks. During the six week communication loss Prolial had suffered, a space hulk had entered the system near enough to orbit Prolial IV, from deep within the hulk millions of Orks had descended on the unsuspecting world and over the course of the blackout had enslaved the populace and ransacked the planets materials.

With the blackout over and the presence of Orks known, the astropathic choir of Prolial prime sent out a call for help. But already it looked like things might be to late for Prolial III, would the same be for the entire system?

Hello everybody and welcome to Unending Tide, an RP focused on a group of PDF troopers caught behind enemy lines after aid from the distant Imperium is blunted by invading Ork forces. In the weeks since the first world of Prolial fell, the Imperium dispatched a small relief fleet including two regiments of Elysian drop troops in addition to a small crusade of Black Templars. Only Prolial prime still stands, a mining world with three major star-port cities each centered on one of three continents. As things begin, the group will find themselves on the southern continent as much of the fighting strength is wiped out; now the troopers that remain, along with a few offworlders they have come across, must make their way back to Imperial controlled land or face a never ending land of greenskins.

Rules:
-No godmodding
-As GM my decision is final, please respect that
-Eight sentences minimum per action thread post
-If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. You never know, I might let you do things a bit out of the updates boundries
-Stuff happens, thats the way life works; if you aren't going to be able to post for a while or are losing interest than let me know. The worst thing you can do is say nothing and vanish, which is the easiest way to get on my bad side.
-Post once, post a dozen times, its completely up to you as long as you can do the minimum per post

Character Sheet:
-Before you make your character, understand that this is not first come first serve, and I will ignore characters from players trying to 'reserve' a spot. If your interested thats one thing, but don't feel put down if someone gets a character up before you that you wanted because I may feel your character fits better.

Name:

Appearance: (What do you look like?)

Personality: (What is your character like? [PDF]Did your character work near the ports and had heard rumours or stories of Orks? [Elysian] is this your first time being deployed against Orks?)

Background: (Prolial prime is primarily a mining world, mountain regions and oceans splitting up the planet. Do you hail from a mining town or one of the space port cities?)

Group: (Either PDF or Elysian)

Equipment: [PDF have access to frag grenades, a combat knife, spare ammo, and sub-standard flak vest and helmet] [Elysians have access to frag and krak grenades, rebreather, a combat knife, spare ammo, and flak armour with carapace shoulder pads]

Weapons: [PDF are armed with las-carbines, single shot las weapons that can only shoot a dozen or so bolts before depleting the cell. The shots are stronger than a standard lasgun.] [Elysians are armed with Accatran pattern lasguns and either an autopistol, laspistol, or sawn off shotgun.]

One PDF character may have a flamer or heavy stubber in place of his las-carbine.

One Elysian may replace his lasgun with the Mk IVc variant (underslung grenade launcher) but must take a pistol. If this option is not chosen than one Elysian may replace all of his grenades and pistol/shotgun with demo-charges.

Characters:
Prolial Prime Defense Force
Lord Necross as Dominous Krassus 'The Heavy'
Deus Mortis as Alec Greiner 'The Steady'
The Tall One as Zachariah Thede 'The Scholar'
Iron-Within as Liam Caul 'The Survivor'
komanko as Silas Keldor 'The Average'
Asamodai as Jakon LaVeer
Khorne's Fist as Gallan Robickai

Elysian 173rd Drop Regiment
unxpekted as Tobias Lengen 'The Egotist'
dark angel as Elias Lengen 'The Snaggletooth'

Gebrin Crusade
Euphrati as Initiate Theodoricus Gervas 'The Last'

Note: I am looking for more PDF than Elysian characters; there is a maximum of three Elysians allowed and I will not accept new ones if there are fewer PDF characters.

See less See more
#71 ·
As Reever said, what you read in my post is what you get- meaning those in the outpost might (at the very end of their actions) hear a deep, vox-rendered voice followed by an explosion of some sort outside the walls.

What such a thing means to your character? Well that is on you and your character's personalities!

Now, onto the second (and to me more important part) of what Darkreever mentioned- questions. Pretty much every update he posts up, Reever receives a barrage of questions from me. These includes additional information my character might know/have access to, more detailed descriptions of items/locations/people, questions relating to what my character might be able to do (or think s/he is able to do), etc.

Many of the questions I ask (or have asked in the past) are fairly simple, some are more in depth and in reference to exacting details, some are even are met with the classic Darkreever vague response of 'I guess you will find out...' (Keris got that one a lot....:laugh: )

Here are the questions I leveled at Darkreever for the first update-

So it begins.

Are there any orks still living in the wreck that he needs to finish off in his search?

You note things taught by the crusades' chaplain, I am going to hazard a guess that you mean the death rites of the Templars and not any sort of geneseed extraction, correct?

Initiate Veldir and Initiate Walsh, could I get a brief description of both and was Theo particularly close to either of these brothers or is that something I can choose? Does either of them have a notable battle history? Is there anything in particular that each of them carries Chapter relic wise that Theo would not leave behind (even if it is something he wouldn't use out of respect, merely burden himself with carrying)? In traditional Templar fashion, do these brothers have oath scrolls on their armour that Theo could take unto himself (accepting their oaths in honour of their lives)?

What is the name of the Crusade's Apothecary?

Which leg is broken and how: upper or lower leg, merely a fracture or a full blown break, has it set or is it still grinding with each stubborn step? Can Theo combat jog for short stretches? Can he sprint if he has to (I know this might not be advisable.. but you know the stubbornness of the Sons of Dorn!)?

Can you give me a bit more detail as to the two main sections of his armour that are damaged? Is the integrity still viable or is it breached in some way? How is his vox, are there any signals he might pick up if he scrolls through the frequencies?

What is the terrain like that he is crossing? Is there any sign of Orks having passed through?

How far is he from the outpost at the point of the explosion, and is his helm's visual auspex able to magnify/shift spectrum enough for him to get a glimpse of the scene and the enemy as he approaches?

What is the weather like currently? Is it relatively calm or have the Ork dropships stirred up the atmosphere into looming storms?

Can I name the 4th member of the squad to make it to the ork dropship? (My plan is that he was killed early in the assault of it and going to note that his body was in the now absent rear section of the downed craft which is why Theo cannot find it.)

-

This is just an example of what runs through my thoughts when I start considering my post for a character.

#74 ·
In advance, I apologize for any blunders on my part. It's been a while since I've RP'd so it might take me a few updates to get back into that head-space.

#75 ·
Right, calling out @Tha Tall One as I wonder when we will be seeing something from Thede.

Komanko PMed me around the middle of last week, he's more sick than he had orignally thought and his character is going on the back burner till he doesn't feel like death.

Expect an update in the next day or so, though I think several people would definitely like to see some edits from @Khorne's Fist before I do.

#76 ·
I recall the last character to go on a full god-mod spree in one of your rp threads came to a rather sudden, and rather violent, end...

I was still somewhat of a new member here at the the time and it still gives me pause to stop and think if I have pushed the envelope too far even now in my posts!

Post traumatic storyteller disorder. :shok:

#77 ·
Oh, I think we all remember that one.

#78 ·
I don't but I would love to here about it more!

#80 ·
Said event happened nearly 7 years ago and it still haunts my thoughts in all roleplays since.

This, my friends, is what a good roleplay does to you.

#82 ·
Oh no I'm aware, as a GM you can take some control of the characters for updates (look at the portion for Theodore customers to get an idea) and leave things open enough for the actual player to fill in the details and continue.

How Dom goes from covering the gate to getting on the wall and shooting at the Orks is up to you, and his reaction to the fire, all I've done is make it clear that he gets on the wall and starts shooting.

#83 ·
Forgive the slightly late post, it would have been up yesterday had I not been called to help contain a "controlled" burn that, when I got there, was anything but controlled.

#84 ·
My week has been unexpectedly busy. I'll get a post up on the weekend.

#85 ·
I'm still waiting on darkreever to answer a question I sent him before I can work on my post.

#87 ·
You guys know that we could likely get an update every weekend or so... if you post?

I mean, I know I felt bad for my post being 'late' in my eyes (just at a week from the update, but only one weekend due to the update being mid week) but I remember when we could count on a ~8 day update schedule simply because everyone posted at least the minimum (and many times more than once).

#90 ·
Right, so I don't know about some of you but I definitely think we've been waiting long enough. I know Komanko has his reasons for not posting, but The Tall One was online earlier today and Khorne's Fist hasn't been online since the end of last month.

So @Tha Tall One, @Asamodai, and @Khorne's Fist you all have until Wednesday to post; after that I will not be including you in updates (at that point your gonna have to PM me.)

#92 ·
Sorry about that Asamodai, that was just meant for KF and TTO. (There are three players missing at this time, but one of them is Komanko and I know why.)

#93 ·
Not a massive problem, but to The-Tall-One and Iron-Within, I did specifically mention in my post that Alec was at the back of the group, trying to put a few bodies between him and whatever was on the other side of the door. However, in both of your posts he seems to be kicking in the door. Just be mindful in future, as I put him there for a reason.

#95 ·
Aye pretty much. Never be the first person through the door. Never ends well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.