[Recruitment] Unending Tide - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphrati View Post
Well now, this has turned into the distinct possibility of an all-star cast.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 05:56 AM

LordNecross's Flag is: USA

If No one, is interested in My RP, I might join this one. My question is if I make a Character (I think I will make a PDF), Can I use a Shotgun instead of a Las Carbine? Just a question. If not, I'll see if I can snag being the Heavy Stubber user, nothing like lugging around a .50cal machine gun.

post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 08:33 AM

Tha Tall One's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Well now, this has turned into the distinct possibility of an all-star cast.
As privately discussed with the GM, I'll be joining as well, so there'll be at least one new guy trying not to be in anyone's way. ;)

post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 01:57 PM

Euphrati's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Tall One View Post
As privately discussed with the GM, I'll be joining as well, so there'll be at least one new guy trying not to be in anyone's way. ;)
Wonderful! And you won't get in anyone's way, we were all 'new' at one point or another here. These forums were the first place that I partook in a text-based rp, and these fine gentlemen put up with me!

Have you done much in the way of rp'ing in the past?
post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Wonderful! And you won't get in anyone's way, we were all 'new' at one point or another here. These forums were the first place that I partook in a text-based rp, and these fine gentlemen put up with me!

Have you done much in the way of rp'ing in the past?
Thank you! I have done some text-based RP in the past, complimentary to playing D&D (which I still do, though we sometimes settle things or do extra scenes on a forum). My newness is more on the 40K-side of things, as I am for the most part a WH-Fantasy player. I'm not completely without knowledge of the 40K-universe, but some unfamiliarity might arise, though that won't be a problem, I'm told. ;)

Another thing I'm unfamiliar with for example, is how much of the setting is currently determined, and how much we are allowed to fill in ourselves. As I've read that the way PDF's are organised vary wildly per planet, from paid gangsters to professional soldiers, I'm not sure how my character got involved with them. Euphrati's character, for example, signed up. Is this the standard procedure? Or could, due to the recent threat, conscription be commonplace? Is there a training program organised by the PDF, or is that up to the individuals themselves?

Are these questions we are allowed to answer ourselves, or are the answers common knowlegde I just haven't found? I couldn't find the Prolial system anywhere online.

Oh, and this'll also be the first RP not in my native tongue, so I'm looking forward to that!

Last edited by Tha Tall One; 01-10-16 at 04:20 PM.
post #16 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Euphrati's character, for example, signed up. Is this the standard procedure?
Like you said, it varies from world to world. For Prolial prime recruitment will generally be a matter of volunteering. Though that doesn't mean that this will be the case for everyone.

If your thinking of playing a character who has been caught committing some crimes (talking theft or acting as muscle or something like that, your not gonna be a killer) then your probably going to be conscripted or press ganged into the PDF as penance for your crimes.

If your a paper pusher, you might have uncovered something (or someone thinks you did) and are now being forced/blackmailed into joining.

Quote:
Or could, due to the recent threat, conscription be commonplace?
Conscription will not be a common thing, it might have happened to some but thats currently the exception not the norm.

Quote:
Is there a training program organised by the PDF, or is that up to the individuals themselves?
There is basic training, your character will know which end to point his/her lascarbine and how to reload/shoot the thing. That includes the proper litanies/prayers when doing so (IE the litany of reloading, the Emperor's guidance in aiming, and things like that.)

Elysian characters will have more training and possibly more experience, being from another planet and this not being their first action (barring some older PDF characters who might have been called in as backup to local law or something of that nature.)

Quote:
Are these questions we are allowed to answer ourselves, or are the answers common knowlegde I just haven't found?
Its a little of both, some things (like PDF not being as experienced or often as well trained as regular guard) are more well known while other things are either not well known or up to me (the GM) to make a decision on.

Quote:
I couldn't find the Prolial system anywhere online.
That is because the Prolial system is one I created. The Uhulis sector is from other sources, but with a galaxy spanning empire why would I bind myself to existing locations every time?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #17 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 05:46 PM

Euphrati's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Thank you! I have done some text-based RP in the past, complimentary to playing D&D (which I still do, though we sometimes settle things or do extra scenes on a forum). My newness is more on the 40K-side of things, as I am for the most part a WH-Fantasy player. I'm not completely without knowledge of the 40K-universe, but some unfamiliarity might arise, though that won't be a problem, I'm told. ;)
I am sure it won't be an issue. Some unfamiliarity might actually help you in giving your character a honest reaction to a situation.

Quote:
Another thing I'm unfamiliar with for example, is how much of the setting is currently determined, and how much we are allowed to fill in ourselves. As I've read that the way PDF's are organised vary wildly per planet, from paid gangsters to professional soldiers, I'm not sure how my character got involved with them. Euphrati's character, for example, signed up. Is this the standard procedure? Or could, due to the recent threat, conscription be commonplace? Is there a training program organised by the PDF, or is that up to the individuals themselves?

Are these questions we are allowed to answer ourselves, or are the answers common knowlegde I just haven't found? I couldn't find the Prolial system anywhere online.
Well, first off- you are asking questions. That is excellent!~ You can ask Darkreever how many times I have filled his inbox with hungry questions after updates to the roleplays he has run in the past.

As to the actual meat of your question(s), Darkreever would be the one to give you a final answer on those as he is the GM and this is his 'story'.

You most likely will not find the Prolial system anywhere in cannon, as it is most likely a home brewed creation of Darkreever's that allows him to manipulate the characteristics of the planetary system to suit his storyline and allows him more flexibility than a system that is already hard locked into the cannon (and avoids possible stupid lore arguments of 'well in such-and-such a book it was stated that this planet has no buildings with more than three stories! So this one cannot possibly have five as you stated in your update...').

With the PDF on this planet- I chose to have my character sign up as it suited her personality. Having worked with Darkreever over the course of years, I felt confident enough in his reactions to my characters to make that choice without consulting him beforehand. However, if he had said afterwards that he wished me to alter that bit due to a plot hook or storyline restrictions he had, I would have no problem with that. It highly likely that your character could have a drastically different background though, and that would not be wrong. Working with Darkreever, you could come up with a background where your character could have been a begrudging space dock worker with a bit of a cowardly side, and could have very well tried to buy/bribe passage out of the system the second he/she learned of the Orks. He/she could have been forced into conscription when they were caught and have a sullen anger at their lot in life. Of they could be a hardened solider type that was been borne into the PDF, their father serving and his father before him, and so on. Those kinds of choices can really give flesh and blood to a character.

Many GMs are okay with 'fluffy' details being left to the characters (such things that do not have a telling impact on the storyline or things that are common sense- such as saying your character finds a pack of iho sticks (40k version of cigarettes) in the debris of a bombed out hab he/she is poking around in might be a detail that has no consequence to the storyline and the GM wouldn't bat an eye at it, however if your character is an addicted chain smoker and the GM had made a point to make it part of the story that you lost your own pack to provoke an emotional response/interaction roleplaying possibility for you then he/she is not going to be okay with you saying your character merely goes out and finds a pack laying around. However, working with your GM through questions and requests- you might come up with something that suits you both such as your character finds a half-empty, smashed, and soaking wet pack of iho sticks that provide a further opportunity at fleshing out the character's responses to difficulties.

The one thing that most, if not all, GM's on the forums frown upon is direct/indirect God Moding of other players characters or npcs.

But, I can tell you from past experiences that it is better to take the moment to ask for calcification or additional details than it is to just assume. Working with your GM to create a immersive and rich storyline will more than likely leave you both pleased with the end result than trying to force something. And more likely leave your character alive to continue on as well....

Quote:
Oh, and this'll also be the first RP not in my native tongue, so I'm looking forward to that!
That is great, and don't fret too much about mistakes. Even those of us who were born into English as our primary language find it to be an annoyance at times!

**Looks like Reever already got back to you on your questions! That is what I get for starting a reply, becoming distracted, then finishing it later...**

Last edited by Euphrati; 01-10-16 at 05:52 PM.
post #18 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 06:43 PM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

komanko's Flag is: Israel

Jesus Christ, might hop in myself, I'll have to fight my laziness and the fact I haven't written anything in ages but heck, who knows!
post #19 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 07:20 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Well. This really is bringing out the old RP days players!
post #20 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 08:00 PM

@Euphrati @darkreever , thank you both for your replies! I think I have something in mind for a character, so I'll start writing!

Quote:
That is great, and don't fret too much about mistakes. Even those of us who were born into English as our primary language find it to be an annoyance at times!
I wasn't sarcastic. English has roughly 650.000 words. Dutch about 80.000. There are some expressions I wouldn't even know how to describe in Dutch, (which I think is why so many anglicisms have crept into our language). I am absolutely not worried about grammar or spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
That is because the Prolial system is one I created. The Uhulis sector is from other sources, but with a galaxy spanning empire why would I bind myself to existing locations every time?
Certainly! It was only my argument for why I was uncertain about which assumptions I could make about your setting. Though both creating new and using existing settings have pro's and con's!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode