[Action] The Choral City - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-08-14, 10:39 AM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

For all Sebastian cared the wretched Son of Horus could rot in a cave somewhere outside the city, but he had no desire to leave behind his Brother Decurion. He slowed his pace slightly, not wanting to get too far until he knew for sure what Tiberius's intentions were. He was aware of Darius catching up to him which brought him no small amount of relief. Had Tiberius chosen to countermand his order then things here could have broken down to severe unpleasantness very swiftly.

A burst of static brought him to a halt and he held his hand up to the side of his helm, tilting his head to the side as if either action would improve either the functionality of his long range vox or his ability to draw meaning from garbled half words and static. He banged the side of his helmet in frustration but this didn't help anything either.

"Did you get any of that?" he asked Darius.

Before the Legionary could respond Sebastian's attention was drawn to the skies. Aircraft. Someone was making planetfall. He cursed quietly. He didn't know why but he had thought they would have more time. Now he could see that was foolish. There was little chance that this arrival meant anything good for the survivors and the sounds of distant weapons fire confirmed this. The only positive he could draw was that if there was battle then there were other survivors. He turned and looked back down the shattered street to where Tiberius was still talking to the weak willed savage and opened a private vox channel.

"You hear that Tiberius? It is now or never."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-11-14, 03:47 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Akkad's words were cut short by a burst of broken chatter screeching through the vox. *Death Gu-* Tiberius assumed that was supposed to be Death Guard if the static hadn't have butchered it. So there were other survivors from the Death Guard at least. And, from the other words he could make out of the interference, they were looking for them. Tiberius's heart briefly fluttered with joy before it sank with the sound of an aircraft and gun-fire from the city once more. Perhaps it was a trap. If the traitors in orbit weren't above unleashing the Life Eater on them, they could just as well capitalize on their need for others to survive. It was an ingenious idea really. You broadcast a distress call, some hopeful sod answers and then you hunt them down. Akkad grunted "Survivors" like it was a curse. "Or our brothers in masquerade." Tiberius spoke softly, still hoping that this was somehow some collosal misunderstanding.

Akkad spoke of Tiberius's death having come. It hadn't, not yet anyway. There was a reckoning to come for both sides, and Tiberius would see vengeance before he would let death claim him. Sebastian told him it was now or never that he had to move. Tiberius's lips twisted into a snarl. Whatever had happened today, they were still the Emperor's Children. They were still the exemplars of how Astartes should be and he would not have that reputation dashed by rash action made on impulse. "Sebastian, Darius, maintain radio silence. Do not talk to anyone until you have visual conformation of their allegiance. We don't know that our vox is safe." Akkad asked him what would happen now, although Tiberius knew that it was not because he was looking for orders. It was because he wanted to know if they were parting ways here.

Tiberius screwed his eyes shut. He needed to collect his thoughts. The dust, flames and atmospheric disturbances were playing hell with the vox, but Tiberius suspected that meant that the fleet in orbit could not reach or track them either. Likely, all the fire and heat bleeding from their surroundings would mask them from auspex too. Probably the reason hundreds of drop pod weren't hammering down on them at this very instant. They didn't know how many survived. "You are right Akkad..." Tiberius said opening his eyes again. "...mere survival does shame them. It proves the Warmaster's imperfection. Were that enough I would join you. But..." Tiberius's eyes flittered over the empty pieces of armour that lay scattered. "...blood cries out for blood. You shame your brothers your way, I will show my earstwhile brothers what perfection truely means." Tiberius unclipped two bolter magazines and handed them to Akkad. "If you survive, remember us well. Any information you find on you journey would be appreciated."

Tiberius paused. He almost said good luck but belief in such superstition was foolish. Skill alone would determine if any of them survived. What was the phrase the Sons of Horus had? "Kill for the living." Tiberius said at last before leaving Akkad to either follow, which he doubted, or to make his own way. He got a couple of metres away before he turned back and yelled "If you see him, leave Eidolon. That particular bastard's head it mine!" Now Tiberius' attention turned to his next action. He still spoke his commands out loud, hoping against hope that Akkad might hear them and know where to find them if he wanted. "Sebastian, Darius, have you thought what we will do if we find Captain Tavitz? Then we will just have four people for them to kill instead of three. We need a defence. That is more important than any one man, even Captain Tarvitz. If we have no defence we will be easy pickings for our brothers and I will not allow that. I am returning to the Palace to co-ordinate such a defence. Meet me there when you have either reasonable doubt of Tarvitz' survival or him in hand. Then we will show our brothers and cousins what it truely means to be perfect!" Tiberius had another reason for going back. For all he knew, he and Sebastian were the surviving ranking officers. Despite Akkad leaving them, he was right in a sense. At this moment, survival was imperative. If they survived they could strike back and Tiberius was determined to make sure that as many bolters and blades could strike back as possible...

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 08-12-14 at 03:13 PM.
post #33 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-14, 02:21 AM

He grunted as sounded off his message on the last known vox frequency used by ground forces -- he'd even gone to the lengths of using tertiary channels just to make sure. Everything came back with the same bland growl of white noise. There was little hope that anyone even received the message much less could interpret it. Chances are he wasn't the first one to try and use the vox network (and probably not the first try it on all major channels). He deduced that since he hadn't heard anything than nobody else probably heard him. The only other alternative was that, Emperor forbid, everyone else was dead but him and the two World Eaters. He had never been one for humor or jests but he was certain some cocky Emperor's Children could find a joke in there somewhere.

"You preach to me like a son of Guilliman Sergeant Kyros," mocked Marcus. Alaros rose an eyebrow behind his helmet. He wasn't well-educated in the intricacies of World Eater politics, but he surmised that was somehow an insult of some kind. He shook his head and heard a faint, distant rumbling from above.

He turned towards the sound and half expected to see drop-pods descending from the sky in attack formation. The debris left in the wake of the firestorm was playing havoc on everything, even his helmet's sensors as it couldn't lock and identify the craft exactly. He kept getting conflicting registrations of both Stormbird and Thunderhawk configuration. Nor could he make out their allegiance. A relief force perhaps?

"I am a Sergeant just as you are Tharr!" screamed a voice behind Alaros.

The Death Guard turned around to see Kyros stalking towards Marcus, his power axe swathed in blue-white energy.

Already trying to kill one another, thought Alaros. Yes, there indeed was a joke in all of this. He half expected Sergeant Kyros to cut down Marcus for just a moment before the World Eater relaxed. He watched them both as those precious moments ticked by between fratricide was heaped upon fratricide. He'd heard rumors, all the Legions had, of what Angron had made his sons do. The ruthlessly bloodletting and borderline murder that took place in the gladiatorial arenas of their ships. Others had whispered of fell devices screwed into their skulls. Alaros hadn't paid any of it much attention until now. His curiosity was peaked by this outburst. He'd fought alongside Angron's Butchers in the past but never got close enough to see how they worked together.

He heard it, very distant and almost missed if one wasn't paying attention. It could have easily been played down as a forceful gust of wind a byproduct of the firestorm as massive wind-storms no doubt gripped whole sections of the world. After two centuries of war though he couldn't have mistaken it. Bolter fire. A fraction of a second later it was confirmation as countless more could be heard.

Battle? Yes, it was the sounds of battle coming from the direction he'd seen the aircraft descend. He pulled up his tactical display, however outdated it now was given the changed landscape and tried to surmise where the fighting as at. It was in the city for sure but it appeared to be right where the World Eaters were supposed to have pacified the populace.

He heard the hammering of his hearts at what this could be mean. Perhaps it was a rescue party? But then who were they fighting? Horus would never have abandoned his overly vaunted sons to die like this. Angron definitely would have done it but given Marcus and Kyros' comments and animosity they clearly weren't going to embrace their gene-sire after this. But then who had landed and who was killing who?

Too many damned questions!

'I agree,' he intoned again, stoically bland, 'We should avoid any direct routes to this engagement.'

Finally he casually checked the weight on his plasma cannon and moved behind Sergeant Kyros.

'I will assume the rearguard. By your direction Sergeant Tharr.'

post #34 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 12:12 AM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Tiberius spoke, each word slow, pained. The betrayal had damaged him, something inside was different, frantic, rabid. Krateron had reacted differently - Coolly and calculatedly, accepting the change of events, though inside he knew, that he too, was troubled. When the Decurion handed him a pair of magazines, both curved like sickle blades, Krateron cursed. He was thankful - A reckoning was coming, and Krateron did not want to be caught without ammunition - But he also wanted to smash the Decurion's teeth. Now, you damnable eunuch, I'm indebted to you.

The Emperor's Child moved away, stumbling across the ruined road, treading carefully around scoured armour and blackened bones. Krateron stood there, alone, watching. The Choral City was dead, a rotting, burning corpse, and soon Akkad Krateron, Son of Horus, would join it. That thought, the Legionary decided, was not a good one. Now, he had a decision. The Emperor's Children would search for their precious Captain - Undoubtedly dead - Whilst their brothers above, for they were, despite Tiberius' objections, brothers, came down and slaughtered the shocked, heartbroken remnants of the spearhead. 'Unlikely,' Krateron grunted, more passionately than intended.

'What to do, what to do,' He muttered, listening to the distant thunderclaps and booms - Gunfire, explosions. 'Follow you,' He said, jutting his head towards the Emperor's Children. 'And I die. Stay here, or go elsewhere, and I die. Wonderful.'

He ran towards the Emperor's Children. He cursed himself, a thousand times over, for doing so. He was right - Retreat, out of the City, was the best option. Doing so alone, on a dying world, was not. He barged past Darius and the other Decurion, making sure to put more of his shoulderplate into the Decurion's chest than was needed, and grabbed Tiberius by the wrist.

'You are a bastard,' He grunted. 'But, Tiberius, you are the only bastard available. I will come with you - For now,' He nodded his helmet. 'Though, if you think that I'm following you, you are wrong. You just so happen to be headed in the same direction as I,' He waved his bolter along the road. 'Lead the way, cousin.'

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #35 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 01:12 PM

Sebastian let out a small sigh of relief as he saw the third member of their group heading towards them. It was good to know that the Son of Horus's cowardice was not infectious. He waited for Tiberius to draw close before falling back into step.

"I am glad you see sense." he said.

When Tiberius responded Sebastian stopped again and allowed his fellow Decurion to lay out his own plan. Under his helm, Sebastian's handsome features were contorted in surprise and a measure of disbelief but he allowed Tiberius to finish.

"My friend you are over thinking this. When we find Captain Tarvitz he will tell us what to do. He is our Commanding Officer. Should we find he has not survived then, and only then should we try to rejoin the rest of the Legion. You know we left the 13th Company at the Palace. If we survived out here in some civilian bunker, they will have survived there. I mean, Lucius is leading them. You know as well as I do that man will live forever..."

He was cut off by the sound of approaching footsteps behind him and as he turned he was knocked back half a step by the shoulder of the wretch Son of Horus. Sebastian bristled within his armour and reached back for the handle of his blade, mag-locked in the thin space between the back of his armour and his power pack. He should cut the filth down where he stood, for he did not even deserve the honour of duelling for his pathetic life. Under normal circumstances he would. But these were not normal circumstances and if the worm were to die he should at least do so making himself useful.

"Lead the way cousin." he had said in the rough drawl the Cthonian seemed to use in place of proper speech.

Before he could take another step Sebastian had grabbed him by the pauldron and spun him around.

"It does not matter if you are a coward scum Son of Horus or one of the Emperor's favoured Children, we are Legiones Astartes and I am your superior officer. Disrespect me like that again and I shall cleave your vile head from your shoulders. Is that clear Legionary?" Sebastian spat, his steely gaze unwavering as he looked Akkad in the eye, his words dripping with venom.
post #36 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 01:37 PM

Lord Ramo's Flag is: England

"Why Lupercal?" Decius said as he stared up at the sky. He had no doubt who had ordered the attack, only two beings controlled weapons of that power and one of them was the master of mankind back on Terra. He looked back down at the wreckage of the Sirenhold around him. Decius felt only pain at the betrayal by those that he had called brothers, those who he had followed int battle and fought and bled for. The ad hoc choosing of squads made sense now rather than the companies that normally would have been chosen to spearhead the assault.

Decius slammed his standard into the rubble as he felt anger overtake him he wanted nothing more now then to kill as many of the curs that had betrayed him and all of his brothers that had been sent down to die. His hud blinked as it detected faint signatures, showing that at least some of his brothers had survived out there. Decius hoped he would find more of his legion, though he felt the Death Guard and Emperors Children were most likely the survivors as they had been in the trenches which would have had bunkers to protect and the palace which would also have bunkers. Maybe some of his brothers would survive from his legion, but he doubted many World Eaters had survived as they had been farthest from any protection from the deadly weapons unleashed.

His hud showed that they were to the northwest and with that he turned and started to pick his way through the rubble as he began his way North.

post #37 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 02:52 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Default The Choral City

Sebastian spluttered empty words that made Tiberius cringe. It was true enough that Tarvitz was their commanding officer and it was true that if they found him that both Sebastian and himself would differ to Captain Tarvitz authority. But his fellow Decurion made it sound like they were a flock of sheep, unable to make their own decisions or take their own initiative when the situation demanded it. "There is no such thing as an over-thought battle plan. All we know for sure is what we can see. We don't know that Captain Lucius is alive, we don't know if any of our fellow Decurions survived. For all we know, we may be the only ranking officers of the Third Legion left..." *And Terra knows if there as many unimaginative soldiers as yourself who wander around like lost lambs without a superior, then we will need to guide them.* Was a thought Tiberius had, but he left it unsaid. It would not help to antagonize Sebastian when he clearly felt that he and he alone was right. "...You know the way of our Legion. They will strike hard and fast and seek to undo us before we can ready a defense. We must be ready for them. That is why I must go and aid with whatever defense we can muster. That is why you must spend no longer than absolutely necessary looking for Captain Tarvitz." Tiberius was sure that Sebastian would say more to him, seek to embroil him in a debate about loyalty and honor, as if those concepts meant anything anymore.

If Sebastian was about to say anything in response to Tiberius, he didn't get the opportunity. Akkad shouldered him out of the way and grabbed Tiberius' wrist.
"You're a bastard." Tiberius chuckled at that. He could take being a bastard if it meant that Akkad would accompany them. Akkad maintained that he was not following them and, therefore, was not under their authority. Tiberius didn't mind. Akkad was uncouth, viscous, uncompromising and intelligent. Just the sort of man you needed on your side in a world gone made.
"Whatever circumstance keeps you with us, I'll be glad for it." Tiberius said, grasping Akkad's wrist with his free hand in a gesture of camaraderie. Tiberius wouldn't have thought he'd be so glad to have a Son of Horus at his side. Of course, he'd rather his own men. Men he knew and trusted and could depend on. But Tiberius was in no mood to complain. Between the mute Darius and Sebastian, the lost lamb, Tiberius was glad there was another soul who possessed an independent thought.

However, it became immediately apparent that Sebastian did not appreciate Akkad's presence. Tiberius sighed, exasperated. It was ironic that Sebastian decried Akkad and the rest of his legion for being brutes and thugs, totally missing the fact that he was little better with his idle threats and ham-handed assessments. He had misjudged Akkad as Tiberius almost had. The difference was that Tiberius actually let evidence dictate his opinion rather than blind emotions. "Would you Sebastian? You would kill a cousin, loyal to the Emperor?..." Tiberius stepped beside Akkad, staring down his misguided equal. The hypocrisy of what he was threatening astounded Tiberius "...Tell me, what do we accuse our erstwhile brothers of? Is it not the same sin you just threatened as if it were reasonable? As if his life were given into your hands to do with as you please?..." Tiberius' rarely shouted, and he wasn't really shouting now. He was louder to be sure but it wasn't a roar. But his voice did become colder, darker, more imposing. "You are not his superior officer and you are not mine, and the authority is not given to you so censure anyone here, save Darius. If you find us at fault, report us to those who actually have the authority to act. I suggest if you can't confirm Captain Tarvitz whereabouts within the hour, you head back and help mount the defensive. We've wasted enough time here." Tiberius hoped that would be the end of this debacle. They didn't need to be fighting each other when there was a common enemy for them to fight....

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 08-14-14 at 06:11 PM.
post #38 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 06:28 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Krateron felt Tiberius squeeze his wrist, bundles of false-muscle tightening in his own arm, and smiled. Not all of the Emperor's Children were prancing peacocks, so it seemed. Just most, perhaps ninety-percent, Krateron decided, his smile broadening into something hungrier, a feral show of teeth. He heard the other Decurion before he felt him, an acute whine of servors, and then he was being spun, a purple gauntlet locked onto his shoulder pauldron. He let himself be moved, loosening his muscles, and came face-to-face with the other Decurion's helm. A threat, one that promised beheading, spilled forth from the Marine's grille, poisonous and passionate.

Krateron made a rude noise.

Before he could speak, however, Tiberius was at his side - Now that was interesting. Krateron found himself liking this Decurion even more, it took a strong man, an intelligent man, to see right over wrong, more-so when the wrong was dressed up like a gilded whore. Sebastian, as Tiberius named him, was an insurmountable prig. Krateron liked insurmountable prigs, they died harder, believing themselves the superior foe, fighting until their last. But I don't like you, cousin, he thought, wrapping a finger around his bolter's trigger.

'I'm going to pretend,' Krateron grunted, looking up at Sebastian. He was shorter, though broader, his armour bloodier, but nonetheless gaudy. 'That I did not hear that, cousin,' He stepped closer, mag-locking his bolter, and shrugged his way out of the Decurion's grasp. 'You are a fool, Sebastian, and I should cut your tongue out, to make an example,' He laughed, a sound that was rendered cruel and inhuman by his external vox. 'But it just so happens, I like your brother. So this time - And this time only - You didn't say anything. You didn't open that insolent little mouth of yours, and I'm not going to stick your head up Darius' arse,' He shook his head. 'I am of the Sixteenth, til the day I die, Emperor's Child. Even if rank meant a thing, here, today, I would sooner eat my gauntlet than obey you. You would do well to remember that.'

He turned, walked a few feet, and then stopped. Beneath his faceplate, he found himself grinning.

'Legionary,' He called, to the one named Darius. 'A suggestion, follow us. You follow a sheep in lion's clothing. Come, Darius.'

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #39 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 07:18 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Darius's opinion of the his cousin from the XVI legion was starting to change. His cocky attitude was making him grin beneath his helmet, so much that he had to change vox channel to prevent his decurions from hearing a chuckle. He had no ammunition for his bolter so going with them would be a smart idea. He pondered over the idea for a few seconds... his mind going over the results of his decision. He looked over at the two astartes squaring up to each other. How can they do this at a time like this?. Thousands of our brothers were murdered in this betrayal and they are fighting like a pair of children... a pair of children fighting over the same toy.

"A suggestion, follow us. You follow a sheep in lion's clothing. Come, Darius."

He cringed at the way his cousin spoke to officers, but he knew that they would be more effective in numbers so Darius decided that he would go with the Decurion and the son of horus, what was his name?, Krateron?, probably some brutish cthonian name like that. He had never got a grasp of their language fully and the pronunciation of their words was often his downfall. "krateron, got any ammunition?" Darius smiled. "I dont think i will get near one of the traitors with this" he said while looking down at the combat blade on the end of his bolter.
post #40 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 09:19 PM

Krateron's brutish response drew a wry grin to Sebastian's lips. All his talk of chances, as if he were doing the Decurion a favour. He could pretend all he liked and cower behind his pretence like a child cowering behind their parents leg. The only life he was saving was his own. The brutish combat style of the Cthonian's may work upon the masses, but Sebastian Aurellian was not a line Legionary. He was an officer of the Emperor's Children and a swordsman of repute. No savage would bring him low, especially not this one. He made to respond when Tiberius stepped in. This surprised him and Sebastian visibly recoiled. He listened to his words and duly considered them before responding.

"Would you not? Would you allow yourself to be disrespected so? Have you cast aside your pride? Or does the chain of command truly mean nothing to you anymore? No matter the situation it has always been the way of the 3rd. It is essential to the attainment of perfection upon the battlefield. Or have you abandoned that too?" He shook his head in quiet disappointment that only deepened as Darius too went to follow Tiberius and Krateron. He would not dispute it. The situation was a great enough mess already.

"So that is how it will be is it?" He said, laughing a cold humourless laugh. "Very well. The three of you run back to the palace. I shall head towards battle." Sebastian turned and started to walk away towards the distant sounds of gunfire but stopped and looked back. "It appears I have been over estimating you this whole time Decurion Loculus. It is just a shame it took the end of life as we know it for me to realise."

With that he checked the ammo count on his bolter and broke into a run. It seemed he would have the find the Captain alone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode