[Action] The Choral City - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-28-14, 12:41 AM

The sadness he felt had bled away leaving a void of unimaginable proportions in the pit of his gut. Alaros had never been one to fancy a belief in gods or superstition and so couldn't bring himself to say that the void he felt was in his 'soul'. He also couldn't deny the intense hatred that waited like a growling cauldron wanting desperately to fill that void. For seconds, even if it felt like lifetimes, he tried to reason what could have happened. The Warmaster had given the order and there was no doubting that. Neither Angron, Fulgrim, or even his own father Mortarion had the authority to unleash the virus. Had the Sons of Horus gone rogue? Even now was the Vengeful Spirit unleashing broadside after broadside into the Endurance or the Conqueror as the Warmaster's brothers screamed for reason for the vox?

That didn't make any sense either. Preparations would have to be made, positions in the fleet above would have to change -- something would have to be done that would have caught Mortarion's attention. Had he tried to intercept Horus and simply been too late? The questions kept firing off in his mind when suddenly his innate warriors senses screamed at him to return to reality.

With a jolt he saw two figures, vaguely similar to Astartes, as the edge of his perception.

'Legionnaire state your identification,' came the voice. He heard another, asking for legion name and rank.

They had the drop on him and he knew it. His most obvious weapon was his plasma cannon but there were slim chance he'd even get to unlock the weapon before being brought down by a hail of bolts. So he turned his head to regard them as his left arm gradually hovered near his bolt pistol, making no overt movement to grab it.

'Legionnaire Alaros Gilgumann, Fourteenth Legion Death Guard,' he intoned mechanically, 'Loyal son of Mortarion and the Emperor.'

He grimaced inwardly as he sounded out that last sentence. It was rash to speak of a primarch, even his own, given the current events. But he could not bring himself to believe Mortarion had willingly butchered his own sons. It was more than likely the machinations of the Warmaster and perhaps even Angron. The World Eaters primarch was a monster incarnate and it was well known he had even less mercy for his own men. Despite his disgust with their methods he couldn't see Fulgrim having any part in this madness. Murdering his own sons wasn't perfect.

And so, without even realizing it, his mind formed a grand space battle above with Mortarion and Fulgrim fighting a grim defense against the treason of the Warmaster and his mad-dog Angron.

'World Eater,' he said, 'I would have your name as well. How many of your brothers yet live?'

Last edited by Angel of Lies; 07-28-14 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-28-14, 06:12 AM

'Legionnaire Alaros Gilgumann, Fourteenth Legion Death Guard,' the Death Guard Astartes intoned mechanically, 'Loyal son of Mortarion and the Emperor,' the former name, that of the Primarch of the Death Guard roused Kyros' suspicions, were the Butcher's Nails burning and loosing his fury with abandon he might have lunged at this Alaros, believing him to still be loyal to Mortarion, who, at least in Kyros' eyes was clearly as guilty as the Warmaster himself. They all were, all who remained in the fleet above, the Primarchs who agreed to aid Horus in whatever his plot was, their "Brothers" who turned their backs on the Emperor and in doing so betrayed their own battle brothers. All of them would need to pay.

Kyros brought his attention back to Alaros though, it was no time to go searching for theories or answers about the actions taken by the Primarchs above. He did not need to add fuel to the fire that was his restrained rage at this moment, he felt a wave of sorrow and bitterness wash over him at the acknowledgement that they had indeed. His HUD indicated that the air was breathable, he also noted that he did indeed have the drop on this Alaros.

With his right hand he stowed his power axe it his hip, he reached up and removed his helmet, revealing his rather unusual features for a member of the World Eaters, long blonde hair neatly kept out of his eyes with a simple leather cord, his features possessing a chiseled, what might be described as handsome features more akin to one of the IIIrd Legion. The wind whipped across the now barren and annihilated surface of Istvan III, causing his hair to be thrown about behind him. "I am Kyros, Sergeant of the 7th Assault Squad, Tenth Company World Eaters. Your loyalty to the Emperor bodes well Brother Alaros, but," a deep sadness crept into his tone as he continued, "it appears that we are abandoned and cast out now. The Warmaster could not have enacted such an act without the placation of all in the fleets above. Angron has forsaken me just as your Lord has betrayed you." Kyros' left hand twitched a little bit, observing that Alaros gripped his bolt pistol, Marcus thus far had said nothing, an obelisk that showed no hint of his thoughts. Kyros didn't know what to make of Marcus, his Brother Sergeant seemed to still be in a bit of shook, though he seemed to stand at the ready, they were Brothers of the same Legion. His teeth bore down onto each other, his jaw clenching hard as he continued to speak, now without the vox of his helmet he needed to yell, "Do you now stand loyal to Him on Terra?! And Him alone?!" Kyros took a moment to observe the ruination of the planet, everything was gone, all life no matter how small that had been on the surface was wiped clean. His vision looked up to the sky for a moment, contemplating the next move, then he looked back to Alaros.

"Brother Alaros, you know what the next course of action is once the Life Eater and the Firestorm have been deployed. They will come, our Betrayers will make planetfall. I for one will not simply lay down and let them carry out whatever madness and treachery they have schemed up with the WarMaster at their helm. Will you stand and fight with us?" Kyros' gaze remained on Alaros, but he could not help but glance up to the skies, looking to see the jetstreams and red glares of drop pods and troop frigates, the next phase of this betrayel would be on them within short order, and Kyros wanted to find as many allies as he could before the first wave of Traitors landed.
post #13 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-28-14, 10:19 AM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

It brought no small measure of relief to Sebastian that the third member of their group was still with them as much in mind as he was in body. The situation was bad enough without having to babysit a shell shocked Astartes. Sebastian allowed him to step ahead and his chest swelled slightly, remembering the many victorious battlefields the two of them had fought together on.

"Tiberius my friend, the world and life as we know it my have come to an end but this is no time to be dictating your memoirs." Sebastian said, catching up to his fellow Decurion, releasing a strained smile born of forced joviality. "I shall store the recording though," he added, tapping his helm, still held in the crook of his left arm. "it was a fine introduction." With that he placed the helmet back on his head and began to circle around to the right side of the shattered street. Turning to Darius, he signalled him to do the same to the left.

Climbing up a pile of still lightly smouldering rubble, Sebastian unlocked his bolter, checked the magazine and crouched low. If the Son of Horus tried anything, it would be the last thing he did.

post #14 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-28-14, 03:08 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Darius pulled himself out of the pit of dispair that he felt welling in his gut and removes his bolter from his thigh and see's that the ammo counter is flashing. In the rush to find shelter before the virus strike he had forgotten to reload his weapon. He laughed to himself and moved his hand towards one of the pouches at his waist. The armored gauntlet grasped air as it fell upon empty space. His mind suddenly flashed back to the fierce fighting to take this city, oh so long ago it seemed even though it was a mere hour or two ago. coming back into the present he instead drew his combat blade and attached it to the lug at the end of his bolter, hearing the satisfying *click* as it locked in place. He will need to find some ammo later.

He looked towards the armored figure of the warrior from the sons of horus legion standing there, his armor is green, the new colors of the legion that Darius is still not used to. The marine carries a sword and a bolter, along with a bolt pistol. Darius is already planning his attack if the astartes tries anything, he knows he wont be able to take the other space marine in a fight, but he sure can try. He stands and waits for something to happen, hoping its not what he is preparing for.

Last edited by Nacho libre; 07-29-14 at 10:22 AM.
post #15 of 127 (permalink) Old 07-29-14, 01:45 AM

Alaros stood silent for a few moments as the World Eater regarded him. His thoughts kept going to the space battle above that must surely rage between Mortarion and Horus. That void in him was yawning and growing with each word spoken by this World Eater. He of coarse found holes in his own theory the moment it entered his mind but his notions of brotherhood had glossed over such things initially. The World Eater was clearly filled with conviction in his words. He was probably right -- Angron probably did betray his own men. But then Angron was a monster who was known to sacrifice his own men on whims or suicidal strategy. He could definitely see Angron callously murdering thousands of his sons just to make sure the Death Guard and Emperor's Children died with them.

The Warmaster however ... Horus. He wouldn't abandon his own sons to some ignoble demise.

"I am Kyros, Sergeant of the 7th Assault Squad, Tenth Company World Eaters. Your loyalty to the Emperor bodes well Brother Alaros, but," said the World Eater, sadness edging his tone, "it appears that we are abandoned and cast out now. The Warmaster could not have enacted such an act without the placation of all in the fleets above. Angron has forsaken me just as your Lord has betrayed you."

Alaros noticed the twitched in the World Eater and instantly knew he recognized his hand near his pistol. A Death Guard was a mastercrafted wall of adamantium without his armor, their bodies capable of enduring horrendous wounds and simply marching on. Poisons that he believed could even kill Legionnaires were often drank with the Primarch in celebration. Still, two World Eaters versus a Death Guard was a decided match in favor of the butchers. He moved his hand a few centimeters away from the handle as he second guessed himself.

To his surprise the World Eater removed his helmet and his face was a shock. It held all the hard-lined features of an abused step-child ... something Alaros thought was common in all World Eaters. And yet his face, without that hardness, may well have belonged more in Fulgrim's legion than Angron's.

"Do you now stand loyal to Him on Terra?! And Him alone?!" shouted Sergeant Kyros across the ash-choked wasteland of the Choral City.

Before Kyros could speak again, Alaros interrupted him, 'I am loyal. I am loyal to Mortarion and the Emperor! I will not believe my father would murder his own sons knowingly!'

Now it was Alaros' turn to rage, but it lacked the passion of the World Eaters and instead came across like most things did with a Death Guard, cold and rumbling, 'But I will entertain your notions World Eater. If Mortarion is behind this, if he has willingly led us to slaughter? Then yes, my loyalty stands with the Emperor and the Emperor alone. If he is complicit in this madness then I will do everything possible to murder him as he has murdered us!'

"Brother Alaros, you know what the next course of action is once the Life Eater and the Firestorm have been deployed. They will come, our Betrayers will make planetfall. I for one will not simply lay down and let them carry out whatever madness and treachery they have schemed up with the WarMaster at their helm. Will you stand and fight with us?" replied the World Eater as his gaze reached the sky. The other World Eater remained immobile at this point.

Nontheless Kyros' words spoke true. The sensor sweeps over Choral City would reveal that some had yet lived. If Mortarion was behind this then he wouldn't leave the job half-finished. He would descend and end them all. Alaros clinched his fists at the sheer magnitude of such mockery. To murder them with poison and cowardice and then come to mop them up like some rebel stronghold!

'I will fight with you,' he replied. His mind far from convinced of the World Eater's words but he saw no other Death Guard and the vox was silent as the grave ... what other choice did he really have?
post #16 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-02-14, 11:18 AM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

He crouched over Genaddon's corpse like some huge, metallic carrion bird, rummaging through the Marine's pouches. Krateron took what was needed, ammunition and grenades, and left everything else. Some of it was damaged, the corrosive bombardment having melted casings or set off rounds, and these he worked around gingerly, throwing them away into the rubble. Fires still crackled around his ankles, eating away at the ocean-green of his greaves. He grunted, radioactive winds howling against his armour, and turned his attentions back to the Emperor's Children. Three of you, one of me, he thought, smiling grimly. Piss poor odds for you.

Krateron stood, his business with Genaddon finished, and listened as the Emperor's Children responded. This Tiberius, this Decurion, could talk the talk - All of the Third Legion could - But, how capable of a warrior was he? He professed to fighting upon a hundred worlds, to being a champion of Murder - That was not how Krateron remembered One-Forty-Twenty - And to believing in the Imperial Truth, now that was interesting. The Iterators of Terra, those bastard preachers, offered the Imperial Truth to the masses. Most of the Sixteenth had undergone speeches from the Iterators, on behalf of Horus himself, and most of them detested it. Krateron, stoically loyal to Horus and the Emperor, had attended out of that loyalty, and that loyalty alone, rather than any actual belief or devotion.

'I would say,' Krateron transmitted, after Tiberius was done, the ghost of a smile on his lips. 'That considering our current circumstances, Decurion, we are friends.'

He began the long walk, trudging down the ruined, blasted street. Every footstep crunched glass, powdered bone, sent up tufts of ash and embers. Two of the Emperor's Children repositioned, clutching bolters in gold-chased gauntlets, taking aim at Krateron. Still he smiled, marching onwards, hands raised high, palms facing outwards. I'm unarmed, you painted fools, a friend.

Krateron walked between them, noting their ranks - One was a Legionary, standing to his left, something about his stance unsure, a lack of confidence, perhaps? Krateron snorted, Fulgrim's peacocks were always confident, arrogantly so. Even when they died, they did it with flair and grace, rather than the blood, guts and shit of everyone else. The other Marine was a Lieutenant, a Decurion, which made Krateron's brow raise. What kind of fun had these three been having, a pair of Decurions and their poor Legionary, when the sky started to burn?

'Akkad Krateron,' The Legionary growled, through his external speakers, lowering his arms. 'Seventh Company, Sons of Horus,' He looked around, surveying the destruction. Nothing had been spared, everything had collapsed or reeled, drunkenly, blackened by the firestorm. He whistled, and listened, as the sound bounced along the street, echoing, echoing, echoing. 'So, Tiberius,' He looked at the Decurion, hoping that it was the right one. Krateron's friend-or-foe tags were malfunctioning, radioactive interference was torturing his armour. This one, the one with that fancy Phoenician helmet that the Third favoured so lovingly, looked right. 'The Emperor's Children championed Murder, did they? Funny that,' He barked a laugh, shaking his helmet. 'I remember it remarkably different.'

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'

Last edited by dark angel; 08-02-14 at 01:41 PM.
post #17 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-02-14, 12:32 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

"I would say..." The Son of Horus replied, his voice harsh and gutteral, like all of those born in that rat-warren called Cthonia. "That considering our current circumstances, Decurion, we are friends." Tiberius's lip twitched, as close to a smile as he could manage at this moment. He was happy to have an ally, but it didn't overcome the emotions he felt about being betrayed. The green-coloured Astarte walked towards them, and Sebastian and Darius moved into fighting positions. "Stand down." Tiberius spoke with authority. "It won't help to shoot the only ally we've got." The Son of Horus opened his palms to show he was unarmed, although an Astarte was never truly unarmed.Their bodies were weapons and they were only unarmed when they were dead.

The Son identified himself as Akkad Krateron of the 7th Company, although he offered no rank or title with it. Did that mean he was a simple line soldier? Tiberius was almost surprised, but then Darius had survived where his betters had died, not by skill at arms but by fortune. Perhaps Akkad had the same air of fortune about him. But the arrogance with which he spoke either attested to him being a veteran line-soldier or an over-inflated ego. Perhaps a mixture of both.

Tiberius went to respond with his usual defense for his Lord Commander, learnt by rote rather than felt out of genuine emotion. Murder had been a mess and it had been Eidolon's fault. Tiberius chuckled and shook his head. "An hour ago, duty would have bound me to defend my Lord Commander..." Tiberius spoke as much to himself as to Akkad. He breathed deeply before continuing "...but now" Tiberius sighed "...Murder was a bloody mess and that arrogant bastard Eidolon was as happy let us die for his own ambition. Not so different to now I suppose..."

Tiberius paused for a moment, his gaze drifting skyward wishing he could curse the Lord Commander to his face. For so long he had bitten back his thoughts of the Lord Commander's mistakes because it was unbecoming for a Decurion to lecture a Lord Commander on strategy. But now Eidolon had broken his oaths to his brothers and no rank could protect him from Tiberius's criticism. "...Still, your Captains, Torgaddon and Loken, I'm told spoke highly of the 10th Company and our actions on Murder. I would hope that counts for something if you doubt my word."

Tiberius could have let the conversation go on and they could have potentially argued about whose fault it was and who was the greater legion, but such a discussion would was the precious commodity of time. "I imagine you are a man of action, not basking in past glories or mistakes. We are trying to link up with our Captain, Saul Tarvitz, and the World Eaters he was warning when the virus bombs hit. We could use all the men we can muster to form a coherent defense for when our erstwhile brother come to finish the work they started." Tiberius let the implied question hang, hoping that despite whatever misgivings Akkad over past actions could be overcome, given their common foe...

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #18 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-03-14, 01:07 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Krateron looked at Tiberius, listening, and laughed. 'Eidolon was,' He grumbled, glancing at the other Emperor's Children. 'Is, a bastard.'

He remembered Murder, and he remembered it well, having been amongst the first Sixteenth Legionaries to make planetfall. He had witnessed the debacle between Torgaddon, of the Second Company, and the Lord Commander. It had been immensely satisfying, seeing the Emperor's Child put into his rightful place, beneath the boot of a Son of Horus - Still the Luna Wolves, then - But it was something that had poisoned Krateron's view of the Third Legion.

'Torgaddon and Loken aren't my Captains,' He corrected, wetting his lips. 'I'm Seventh. Serghar Targost, the most noble bastard, is my Captain. And lo and behold, he so kindly declined his invitation to this,' He swept his arm across the view, encompassing the hellscape. 'This party.'

'Your Captain, Tarvitz, I know his name, yes,' Of course he did, everyone who had served on Murder knew Tarvitz. He was a capable line officer, one of Eidolon's best, and the Mournival had taken a liking to him. Krateron was never fond, just another spineless peacock, but many others had been. 'Is likely dead. I won't be going that way,' He jerked his head towards the southeast, where the World Eaters had deployed. 'If that's what you're asking. Nor, Tiberius, will I be headed towards the Palace.'

That's where everyone will flock, he thought, pursing his lips. That's where their assault will come down upon, the might of four Legions, to crush out their troublesome brothers.

'We should cut south, head for the outskirts of the city,' He said, after a moment. 'This could be one colossal mistake, some trigger-happy commander decides the pacification isn't going on quick enough, so he decides to bombard us. Virus Bombs,' His blood-red eyepieces locked onto the Decurion's own. He then swung his head, looking at the other two. 'Do any of you truly believe we would be condemned like this? After so long, after countless campaigns, of loyal service to our Primarchs and the Emperor, that they would butcher us so cowardly?'

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #19 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-03-14, 10:12 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

A melodic chuckle was forced through the metallic grille of Decurion Aurellian's helm, butchering it into bursts of dull static.

"Listen to the Son of Horus here. Do you really speak of the great glories of your Legion in one breath and suggest we flee in the next?" he said, shaking his head in disbelief. "I don't know how they do it in the XVIth but we do not leave our leaders behind. So maybe your Captain Tar-" he made a crackling noise something like a cough, "or however you pronounce it, is a bastard, but every living Astartes on the face of this world owes their lives to ours, so I'm going to ahead with my plan if it's all the same to you."

With that Sebastian turned and started to head towards the city centre. After a couple of steps he stopped and turned back. "Do you truly believe that all of this could be the result of what? A mistake? You Cthonian's always seemed so pragmatic. Wake up and smell the treachery."

He set off again, casually adding, "Darius, with me."
post #20 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-03-14, 10:52 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Darius watched the short confrontation between the two astartes through the red lenses of his helmet. Each time the son of horus spoke out of line, a targeting circle flashed over the marine, marking him out as an enemy. Each time this happened Darius smiled. What would drive astartes to fight against astartes?, the very idea set his teeth on edge. Some thing just shouldn't happen, and that was one of them. It had happened before with the wolf and the red angel, but that had been a petty brawl between two savages. Not full blown civil war... why would lord fulgrim do this to us?. Was it even him?, maybe he is still loyal. Darius smiled at the though of his primarch having nothing to do with this heresy.

He looked up into the ash filled sky and wondered what is happening up in orbit. Is there a void battle happening up there right now?, traitor against loyalists... brother against brother. Only time will tell when the burnt out hulks fall back onto istvaans III's scorched surface. Until then they would need to wait. For all he knows, he could be dead when that finally happens.

"Darius, with me". His Decurions order broke him out of his daydream, he looked towards his officer who was in the process of walking away from the sons of horus marine. Darius took one more look towards the marine then followed his order,"yes, sir" He voxed and followed Decurion Aurellian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode