[Action] Remnants of Kraken: Elysians - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-14, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Default Remnants of Kraken: Elysians

All; You awaken to a plethora of sensations, pain and confusion chief amongst them. Some of you find yourselves staring up at a sky the colour of blood, splotched with purple and brown bruises in the distance. For others, it is the smoking interior of a valkyrie gunship; flames from the cockpit or sparking wires giving light to an otherwise dark environment.

"You two, Bleth and Katarn, lets go snap to your senses. We still have people to pull out of those wrecks!" Sergeant Valin of third squad yells at you, his face a mess of soot and blood from a gash on his forehead. Thats when it starts coming back to you, something had brought your valkyrie down after the platoon had been diverted from its mission to another. Lieutenant Mulner had been in the process of giving the three drop squads the details of this sudden change when everything had gone to hell. Beyond that, you remembered only turbulence and then free-fall before everything had gone black.

For Tubbs Crocket, such a revelation was of little concern at the moment. Fighting as he was to save the life of sergeant Blain of first squad. It was a futile battle though, the sergeant had lost an arm in the crash and a shard of metal was embedded in his chest. For the third time Crocket attempted to find Blains aorta, the shard having cut the artery, but it pulled in deeper than his fingers could reach.

A hand put itself on Crockets shoulder, pulling his mind back from trying to save the sergeants life and he was now aware of the owner of the hand speaking to him. "We can't save him Crocket, he's to far gone. I need you to see to the others." Lieutenant Mulner said, his voice heavy with the fact that he was letting one of his men die while they could still do something.

Park and Larsson regained consciousness to the acrid smoke of electrical fire and disorientation. Both troopers were secured in their crash harnesses, hanging suspended at an angle. The man to the left of Larsson sat unmoving, his head a ruined mass on the other side of the compartment. To Parks right, sergeant Garlen of second squad squirmed to release himself from his bindings. Beyond him was the valkyries cockpit, flames starting to spread from it into the trooper hold. "Come on Emperor damn you, release!" The sergeant yelled, the flames starting getting closer to his body by the moment.

[Park and Larsson, you need to get out of the valkyrie before its engulfed in fire. Be wary though, the valkyrie is not level.

Crocket, there are two more troopers in need of attention. One a pilot with burns across his chest and legs, the other a trooper of third squad who's breathing is coming in ragged gasps.

Bleth and Katarn, there are four downed valkyries. The lead transport, which held the platoons command element, has already been emptied. Another lays half buried in the ground at an awkward angle, flames even now starting to engulf the transport. A third lays on its back, other survivors even now pulling more bodies from the wreckage. The final ship is your own, and looks to have taken the best of damage. Which will you both go to?]

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-14, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post

"You two, Bleth and Katarn, lets go snap to your senses. We still have people to pull out of those wrecks!" Sergeant Valin of third squad yells at you, his face a mess of soot and blood from a gash on his forehead. Thats when it starts coming back to you, something had brought your valkyrie down after the platoon had been diverted from its mission to another. Lieutenant Mulner had been in the process of giving the three drop squads the details of this sudden change when everything had gone to hell. Beyond that, you remembered only turbulence and then free-fall before everything had gone black.

Bleth and Katarn, there are four downed valkyries. The lead transport, which held the platoons command element, has already been emptied. Another lays half buried in the ground at an awkward angle, flames even now starting to engulf the transport. A third lays on its back, other survivors even now pulling more bodies from the wreckage. The final ship is your own, and looks to have taken the best of damage. Which will you both go to?]
Of course we were shot down. That's just my damn luck, just when it looked like we had escaped the meat grinder... Aeud thought grimly as he surveyed the situation. By the looks of it the entire platoon had been shot down by the frakking beasts. There was already one downed valkyrie starting to be engulfed by flames. To him it was clear that from this point onward the only sure thing was that it would get worse, a lot worse.

"C'mon Katarn!"Aeud shouted to his colleague while pointing to the flaming wreckage. "We have to get the survivors and supplies out before the flames get any worse!" And with that he stormed towards the vehicle in question, not really expecting to find anyone alive inside but hoping to salvage at least something worthy from it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-14, 09:12 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

Jaxxon blinked rapidly, trying to force his eyes to refocus but even as his senses slowly returned it was still hard to see anything through the noxious grey cloud forming within the shell of their transport. He was vaguely aware of the familiar sound of Sergeant Garlen cursing beside him but the full ramifications of it didn't register with him for several moments more.

"Don't worry Sir, I'm going get you out of there." He said confidently and hit the release on his own harness. Only as he fell forward from his seat did he notice the angle they were precariously perched in and was saved only by an instinctive grab for the railing above.

As he dangled by one arm like a perverse mockery of a primitive simian the situation finally hit him in the full. The heat from the fire spreading through the cockpit prickled as his face and he coughed as he sucked in a lungful of acrid smoke. Adrenaline surged through him and he swung his free arm up to carry him down the railing so he was positioned in front of the Sergeant.

"Hold on to something Sir." he said and attempted to use the standard harness release to no avail.

"You think I didn't try that Trooper!?" Garlen spat at him.

"Sorry Sir. Ok, hold on." With that, Jaxxon braced his feet against the side of the Sergeant's seat, grabbed the harness with one hand and pulled on it with all his might.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 06:21 AM

aherrera305's Flag is: USA

Choking on blood and smoke, Larsson came to in a scene much different then he remembered. His helmet sat sloppily on his head barely attached by the chinstrap, inhibiting his peripheral vision. It didn't help his vision any more by being blinded by smoke emanating from the cockpit area. Frak, he thought, we must have gotten hit while I was sleeping.

Hands shaking, he reached up to check himself over. Feeling nothing more than the expected bruises he gingerly unclipped his helmet and attached it to his flak. It was then that he noticed multiple things. His helmet didn't lie flat as it should have, but in fact hung off of him at an angle. This raised an alarm as to their predicament apart from the obvious crash and fire. Another thing noticed was the sound of Sgt Garlen cursing and struggling with his harness. Looking right he realized Park was alive and attempting to assist him in his release. Whatever they were talking about made Garlen contort his face in his usual expression of rage, but was lost over the groaning of metal and fire.

Larsson, shook his head in humor and to slightly clear his head. Park would get him out of there, no worries. Hooking his left arm into the restraint, he braced himself for the sudden jerk in his shoulder as he released himself. It was then while he swung down and to his left that he came face to face with his neighbor. Luckily enough for Larsson, a piece of metal meant for his face had pulped his neighbors face all over the wall. Sucks to suck He thought to no one in particular. He braced his feet against the chair of Mashed Potato Head and unclipped his rifle from her restraints, and slung it across his torso.

All gear acquired and accounted for, he attempted to devise a plan to get out with his life and the lives of his companions. Pulling out Murda, he cut three huge strips of clean cloth off of Mashed Potato Head's suit. Carefully he swapped for his canteen and and soaked all three strips in water. Taking one for himself he wrapped it around his mouth and nose for protection from the fumes. Stuffing the other two away, he climbed up the wreck till he was level with Park and Garlen. "Hey Park, take one of these for each of you!" he shouted fumbling to pull out the other two soaked masks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patukov View Post
Of course we were shot down. That's just my damn luck, just when it looked like we had escaped the meat grinder... Aeud thought grimly as he surveyed the situation. By the looks of it the entire platoon had been shot down by the frakking beasts. There was already one downed valkyrie starting to be engulfed by flames. To him it was clear that from this point onward the only sure thing was that it would get worse, a lot worse.

"C'mon Katarn!"Aeud shouted to his colleague while pointing to the flaming wreckage. "We have to get the survivors and supplies out before the flames get any worse!" And with that he stormed towards the vehicle in question, not really expecting to find anyone alive inside but hoping to salvage at least something worthy from it.
When Aeud finally reached the downed Valkyrie the flames had already spread. His time was growing short, at any minute now the flames would engulf the transport completely. Anyone who remained inside would then die horrible burning deaths, that if there was anyone left alive inside. Still, he had to at least try something before it was too late.

Getting a little closer and ignoring the growing heat, he managed to look inside the Valkyrie through a hole opened in the bay doors. "Survivors!Thank the Emperor.

""Hold on down there!I will to get a rope!" He shouted to the troopers inside the Valkyrie, trying (and failing) to sound confident. "Katarn! There's still people down there! GET A ROPE FOR THE EMPEROR'S SAKE!"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 09:32 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

Opening her eyes before rapidly squeezing them shut at the pain the light sent through to her brain, Ishlin regained consciousness. Throne! My entire body hurts! I remember waiting on the Valkyrie and not much though I suppose we were shot down as that would make sense seeing as I'm lying on my back. Risking opening her eyes once again Ishlin sees the blood-red sky splashed with the violent purple and brown bruises from AA guns in the distance.

"You two, Bleth and Katarn, lets go snap to your senses. We still have people to pull out of those wrecks!" Sergeant Valin yells. Scrambling to her feet wincing in pain as she put weight on her ankles Ishlin recalls what exactly happened as she stared at Sergeant Valin's soot stained face which was currently mixing blood courtesy of the gash in his forehead.

Lieutenant Mulner had been telling the platoon why we had been diverted when we ran right into that AA fire and got knocked out of the sky. Though how Aeud and I landed outside but alive? That is fuzzy as hell, but I probably took a bad landing hurting my ankles and probably cracking my head. However before she could see more than two of the Valkyries, one of which was on fire while the other was being secured, Aeud had shouted, "C'mon Katarn! We have to get the survivors and supplies out before the flames get any worse!" pointing at the burning Valkyrie as he ran towards it.

Shaking her head Ishlin responded, "Yeah I see it Aeud, and mind not shouting when we are a few paces away? Makes it kinda hard to focus you pessimistic fugger. I gotta see the medic think I got a concussion from hitting the ground or something during free-fall." as more of the moments before unconsciousness came back. Being ripped into the sky as an AA round tore through the Valkyries armour sending her and Bleth into free fall.

Jogging after the retreating form of Aeud's back Ishlin catches up after he took a quick glance though a hole in the bay doors. "Hold on down there! I will to get a rope! Katarn! There's still people down there! GET A ROPE FOR THE EMPEROR'S SAKE!" Aeud tried sounding confident but as usual with the pessimism he didn't quite make it. "Yeah good idea that mind lending a hand? Or ya too high and mighty for that? Not liking mingling with us lowly farmers? Stop panicking and look you dumb fug!" Ishlin shouted back her temper flared listening to Aeud just shouting orders while first checking her own gear before throwing her gaze carefully around to spot any rope or material which could be used as one.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 10:59 PM

"Throne Larrson! I thought you were bugging out on me." Jaxxon half joked as he took the offered wet rag. He pressed it over his nose and mouth and pressed his chin into his chest to keep it in place.

"Gimme a hand. The Sarge here will kill us both if we don't get him out safe, ain't that right Sir?"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 03:21 AM

aherrera305's Flag is: USA

Rolling his eyes at Garlen's predicament, Larsson cautiously leaped the gap to the other side landing above Garlen and Park's position. "I hate bugs, so I would never bug out," he chuckled to himself, while drawing his knife. Without hesitating or a word to Garlen he slid the knife under the straps near his collar and sliced the top half of the harness. "You might want to hold him Park," he choked through his mask, before getting ready to cut the bottom. Right before he cut, he heard scrabbling on the hull behind him. Shit, he thought, it's some fuggin 'Nids to finish the job, when he saw Trooper Bleth's pale, bearded face pop up in the hole. "Hold on down there! I will get a rope!" He yelled before turning and yelling at someone else. Oan let go of his held breath realized they still had a great chance, and proceeded to freeing Sgt Garlen. "On 3 Park..1...2...3!" He counted before slicing him free into Jaxxon's grasp. Now time to get out of this short lived hell.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-14, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Park and Larsson; Despite being braced for Garlens weight, the poor position nearly forced the sergeant and Park to fall down into the now burning cockpit. There wouldn’t be enough time to wait for Bleth to find a rope for any of you to use, not unless you would like to be roasted before leaving. Finding good hand and footholds was a relatively easy task, the valkyrie’s interior designed for utility rather than luxury.

Larsson, being in the better position, made it up first, taking an offered hand from Bleth and scrabbling off the valkyrie and out onto the grey-brown scrub of Delta Tao once more. Park would have been next, but sparks from a short circuiting cable blinded him, causing the trooper to lose his footing and fall towards the flames below. Or that’s what would have happened, until something arrested said fall by Parks arm.

“Not while theres breath in these lungs you’re not dying so stupid a death!” Garlen hissed, his other hand gripping a broken stanchion so tightly that it was cutting through his glove and into his hand. Helping Park pull himself back up and to the waiting arms of Katarn and Bleth, the sergeant wasn’t prepared for the hydraulic line that failed and exploded near his face; its contents boiled into superheated steam from the fire. There wasn’t even a scream of pain before Garlen fell into the cockpit, and nothing anyone could do to save him.

Bleth and Katarn; Looking around, there was nothing out in the open that could be used as a makeshift rope and neither of you carried one, it not being standard issue for most drop missions after all. Noise from within the ship alerted Bleth of someone nearing him, in time to see Larsson trying to find a handhold and helping the man out. Calling for Katarn to help him, Bleth was reaching in to help Park when something fried, initially catching Park in the face and the backlash burning Bleth’s hand. The injury would ultimately be superficial, thanks to Bleths gloves, but instinct had made him take his hand away; meaning he couldn’t try to grab for Park before he fell.

The sergeant of second squad, Garlen if your hazy memories recalled correctly, managed to save Park and haul him up. Katarn reached into and grabbed hold of Park, straining against his weight and the awkward position. Bleth grabbed a fistful of the fellow troopers fatigues, aiding in the venture, and the pair were able to lift Park out. The same, however, could not be said for Garlen, who was unfortunate enough to receive a jet of superheated steam to the face before falling into the flaming cockpit. Unable to do anything more, the three of you dropped down from the burning wreck and hauled Larsson away moments before the entire transport started to burn.

All; The platoon had taken a beating, all that remained stood gathered around lieutenant Mulner. Of the command staff, there was only Mulner and trooper Nauls, first squad was gone, four members of second squad, Park and Larsson included, and seven members of third squad, Bleth and Katarn included. Thirteen of thirty five, with all of the valks dead and the pilots with them; horrible losses under any circumstance, and no one even knew what had happened or why they were even here yet!

“Mourning our losses will have to come later, for now we have a mission that needs competing. A mission that has just become an entire world harder with our speed gone.” Mulner began, looking you each in the eye before finally moving on. “Our mission is considered of the highest priority, snatch and grab orders from way on high. Our target is lady Yasamine Delau, who was taken two weeks ago and her relative position discovered only a few hours ago when her personal locator reactivated. If you recognize the name, then congratulations on likely knowing the name of this subsectors planetary governor. Yasamine Delau is the only surviving family of Golen Delau, who traitors and assassins would see dead for whatever heretical reason they could come up with.”

Producing a dataslate, Mulner pulled up a map of the area, the groups relative location marked with an X and another location marked with a 1.

“This is us, and the lady Delau could be anywhere here. The reports of her taking are rubbish; just that her takers were well armed and knew what they were doing. For all we know they are local mercenaries or ex-soldiers for hire, though Billis (pilot of Mulners ship) did manage to crash us on top of a pair that shot most of us down. Eyes out and ears open, we’re gonna make for those buildings and see if we can’t scramble some sort of transportation. Move out at loose spread, we have a lot of ground to cover and with the ‘nids pressing the lines at our backs theres not telling how long we may have.”

[Bit for you all to go on hopefully. The buildings aren’t too far away, your just not going to make it there right away. This area is generally flat, though the approach your taking to the buildings affords you some higher ground initially. With any luck, you won’t come across anyone or anything hostile, what with only a few rocks coming up to your ankles for cover.]

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-14, 11:20 AM

Park laid on his back in the dirt, scrunching his eyes closed tightly. They still stung as he tentatively attempted to open them again. All he got was a flickering of sharp bright lights and a piercing headache. He groaned and rubbed them and managed to sit up. His vision slowly cleared though the pain remained and he took account of the troopers around the shattered Valkyrie.

"Wh-Where's Sergeant Garlen?" he muttered to himself.

One of the survivors of third squad turned and walked past him, patting him on the shoulder as he did so. "Sorry Park." he said in a low mournful tone that told him all he needed to hear.

"But he was right- He just-" he shook his head. "He saved my life." A second passed and Jaxxon pushed himself to his feet. He made the sign the Aquila and bowed towards the crashed craft, offering the briefest of prayers for the lost Sergeant.

Turning away he took account of his equipment. His shotgun had been stashed on the Valkyrie, that was gone now. His sidearm was missing too. Jaxxon could only assume it had been torn from it's holster in the crash. He still had his knife and his faithful knuckle dusters. He looked around for equipment to retrieve from the fallen but Lieutenant Mulner was gathering the survivors. Re-equipping would have to wait.

Park listened closely to the briefing and awaited new orders.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode