[Action] In Our Darkest Hour - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-05-14, 06:38 PM

The blade fell once more, cleaving yet another servitor in twain; with a shower of sparks and oily fluid, the two pieces of man-machine crashed to the floor, sharing in the fate of the other four.

Sword hanging loosely from gigantic hand, Auril reached out to call more- and then Galahad's psychic presence stabbed into his skull, warning the Grey Knight of his impending arrival. Instead of demanding more servitors, the Astartes instead took a cleaning cloth from the serf who stood in attendance.

Almost lovingly, he ran the cloth along the silver-flecked blade, wiping away the grime of the training session. Intoning the Litany of the Blade, Auril flipped the weapon over and continued on the other side- the weapon, forged on Mars by the holy hands of the Adeptus Mechanicus, remained unmarked despite the abuse it had gone through in its long life. Finished, he handed the cloth to the serf, who retreated into the safety and solitude of the corner.

Galahad was here.

Auril strode over, weapon in hand; Ianus, Talerion, and Mordred joined them And Galahad announced his elevation- Justicar of Squad Dothrac.

This was momentous news.

The Grey Knight plunged his sword into the deck, the sanctified blade stabbing through the metal like it were butter. Falling to one knee, Auril gripped the quillons of the weapon in his massive hands and bowed his head. "My Justicar. You have my blade." he intoned, the words resonating deep in his chest.

His brothers seemed content with the decision- and they would have to be, for the decisions of their betters were not to be questioned. Talerion, Mordred, Auril, Ianus, led by Justicar Galahad, were now the entirety of Dothrac Squad.

Yet... Galahad's mind-words had been... uncomfortable, when he had called Auril for this gathering. What did that indicate? Had the squad drifted apart since the Darkest of Days?

This was discomfiting.

But Dothrac Squad was renewed, and such thoughts were not worth thinking. Auril remained upon one knee, head bowed, awaiting his Justicar's orders.

"You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honorable man."

Last edited by HonorableMan; 02-06-14 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-14, 12:40 PM
Reaper of Souls

Santaire's Flag is: United Kingdom

My pronouncement brought silence. Understandable; My brothers needed time to adjust.

I scanned their faces and their emotions, searching for hostility or resistance to my promotion to Justicar. If I detected any, I would try to smooth the temper of the man in question. If there was too much, I would go to Jairus and tell him I did not believe I could be Justicar with my brothers doubting my promotion. It seemed not one of them did doubt me though. Examining their emotions almost blinded me to my own pervading sense of dread and unworthiness. Should I have been chosen? Maybe. I must confess, I doubted my own qualifications for the role. I was not the oldest, nor the strongest. My own qualities seemed better suited to an advisor than an actual leader. I was a peacekeeper, a balancer; the man who kept the squad together in the darkest of times. But was I a leader. I would find out.

Mordred took the least amount of time to come to terms with my new position as he proved when I felt the familiar nudge of his mind at the edge of my consciousness.

+“Congratulations on ascending to the rank of Justicar, Brother Galahad”+ Mordred’s mind was overly formal which he had never been before. Apparently he assumed my ascension to the rank of Justicar was reason to treat me with the same respect as he had treated Zephyr. In truth, he had always respected me as much as he needed to; Zephyr had always been as a stranger to us, older and wiser. +”You are a worthy successor to Zephyr’s mantle; Brother Champion Jairus chose well when he picked you. I can only really guess how you are feeling about your ascension in the ranks my Brother however I would make a suggestion given that we are heading into an active battle zone and you have yet to test yourself as the Justicar.”+

+“So you learn how best to lead and direct Dothrac, I propose that until we reach our destination we spend at least four hours running full combat drills and scenario’s so that you are able to learn more of your duties of being a Justicar. Do not think that I am telling you what to do Brother; it is merely a suggestion that is all. In the end the choice is yours and I shall comply with your decision.”+

‘Thank you Mordred, but in private such as now I am only Galahad to you my friend. Feel free to question me in private, it will keep me sane.' My reply was only half joking as I really did need him beside me as my friend, as well as under my command. ‘As to your suggestion, it is an excellent idea.’

I let my attention slip away from his mind, though left the link open.

"Well met Brother Justicar Galahad," Talerion exclaimed and from both his words and his mind, I felt happiness for my ascension. There was a serenity within him also, a feeling of relief. Understandable, Talerion had always been like me, always looking to the bond of the squad if not with as much focus as I had done so. "What are your orders Brother Justicar?"

Ianus was reserved as always, but I sensed genuine faith in my suitability for the role. "I agree with Brother Mordred. I'm glad to see you rise up to take the mantle of Justicar. The Emperor has always looked upon you with much love and hope.”

Auril was rather more... dramatic.

He plunged his sword into the deck, the blade stabbing through the metal as if what we were standing on were butter rather than inches of plate. Falling to one knee, Auril gripped the quillons of the weapon in his hands and bowed his head over it. "My Justicar. You have my blade.” I smiled and placed my hands over his. “Look at me brother,” I said and when he did I smiled again. “You are my brother and my friend,” I began, then stepped back and spoke to them all. “You are all my brothers and my friends. I may now be your Justicar, but I still view you as that and I hope you will view me as such as well. Without any one of us, none of us would be here today. Remember that and stand proud before me as what you are. Grey Knights. I have no need for you to honour me, simply being your Justicar is honour enough for a lifetime.”

“We have a new combat zone coming up and we need to be ready. For this reason, I ask that you join me for an exercise for us to relearn how we fight now that Inoe, Emrys and Zephyr are no longer with us.”

With that I dismissed them to prepare themselves for the training and to return to the training hall once they had finished. With that, I and Mordred left the room together to head to our neighbouring quarters and shared arming chamber.

We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment - and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
— Flemeth

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Default In Our Darkest Hour

The man who sat at the helm of Holy Wrath was one Ignaus Pompey. He was 76, although his mind was as sharp as any younger captain and all the richer for the wisdom he had accumulated. The benefits of serving the knights of Titan showed, as numerous regenerative surgeries and a personal regime of exercise had kept his form a lean and good looking. One of the main features that would give away his age was his silver hair which covered his head and populated his lips in the shape of a goatee. However, Ignaus was not ashamed of his age and so did not mind this. In fact, being covered in silver hair made him feel, in some small way, akin to the silver-clad Astartes he ferried across the starts to defend the realms of humanity.
“Word from Navigator Felix, we are approaching the Corphelus system.” Came the report from the first mate.
“Ah it seems we are early. Lord Jairus will be pleased!” Ignaus said gleefully. “Prepare to disengage the warp drive and drop back into realspace.”

“Aye Captain.” Came the chorus of responses from the various crew members who went about the necessary preparations to drop out of the warp and back into the Materium. It was always risky dropping into a scenario that the Procognosticars of the Grey Knights had sent them to, but Ignaus would take that over being in the warp longer than strictly necessary. There was a feeling while you were in it like something was crawling under your skin. At least in the Materium Ignaus could see what he was fighting.

Not long after this thought had crossed his mind, he regretted it in light of what they had dropped into. The auspex suddenly went crazy, various helmsmen and crew members telling him about numerous threats in their immediate surroundings. Ignaus retained his composure, taking in all the information. “Open the blast shields, I want to see what is going on out there.” He commanded and the blast shields which had blocked the crew of Holy Wrath from staring into the madness of the Warp rolled back to reveal the void battle taking place over Corphelus. Imperial Navy vessels fired on their brother vessels as treachery showed its face. *Good thing we arrived early…* Ignaus thought to himself. At this stage, no one had orbital superiority. If they had been later, they might have faced what was left after this battle as well as any surface to orbit defences. At least now the sleek matte surface of Holy Wrath could wade in reasonably unmolested and help turn the tide of the battle.

“Vessel approaching Captain. From its bearing, it’s coming in for a broadside run.” Ignaus smiled. There was a certain twisted pleasure he took from vessels trying to fight Holy Wrath, believing her to be a vessel with far less firepower than she actually possessed. And so, the battle for Corphelus began in earnest…

All: So, you all stand together in the training halls listening to Galahad explain that he values you as friends and brothers even though a gulf of rank now separates you. However, Galahad’s words will have likely assured you that he considers himself merely a first among equals on whom a greater burden of responsibility falls, but ultimately still your peer. However, that doesn’t mean you all have to behave informally, the ingrained respect for those in command too much for even Galahad’s humble words to discourage. Ultimately, those of you who are unarmoured leave to collect your armour and return to the training halls. As you do so, you feel the change as you drop out of the Warp and into Realspace. That’s when the klaxons sound.

Galahad: You, Mordred, Talerion and Auril make your way back to your chambers to collect your equipment, maintaining mental contact with Ianus who remained in the training halls. Along the way, you are free to converse about anything or nothing, including your thoughts about the upcoming mission or try and mend and damage done by your brothers passing, now both in a capacity as a self-appointed healer and sustainer and as their Justicar. About 2/3 through your journey, Talerion peels off from the rest of you, his quarters being two levels down and a little further aft than the rest of you. About ¾ through the walk Auril peels off too, his quarters being one level higher and further forward than your quarters. You and Mordred arrive at your quarters not long after that and begin arming yourself. You get about half way through before the klaxons sound, calling you and your brothers to battle stations.

You decide that you must continue arming before you move out and so continue to arm yourself, although with greater haste than you had been previously. As you do so, you feel the ship shake, further evidence if you needed any that the battle is already underway. It seems that your first battle with your squad as its Justicar will be a live fire one. As you finish arming yourself you receive reports of various breaches, one of which is on the same level as Talerion but further aft, about halfway between his quarters and the plasma-engines of the ship. Whilst there are several others, that is the closest to all of you bar Ianus, who is probably still in the training halls. Organise your squad and make your way toward the breach.

Talerion: You, Mordred, Galahad and Auril make your way back to your chambers to collect your equipment, maintaining mental contact with Ianus who remained in the training halls. Along the way, you are free to converse about anything or nothing, including your thoughts about the upcoming mission or perhaps confess how you have dealt or struggled with your brothers passing and allow any remaining wounds to be healed. You leave the group first, having to go down two levels and then further aft. The more convoluted nature of the journey to your quarters and the fact that you are walking at a more leisurely pace to try and recuperate in some measure before your next training session means that you have only just opened the door to your quarters when the klaxons sound, calling you and your brothers to war.

You go inside your chambers, grab your Nemesis Force Halberd and put your helmet on, giving you access to the ship-wide vox channels. They ship shakes beneath your bear feet and you hear reports of multiple breaches, one of which is about half way between your chambers and the plasma- engines of the ship. Deciding that time is of the essence, you hastily attach your chestplate and right vambrace which incorporates your Storm Bolter and immediately sprint out of your quarters down the hallway. Your bare feet pound the deck as you run to the breech. A little before you reach where your HUD tells you the breech is, you come across a squad of 8 men finishing of a number of chapter serfs. Their skin and armour is adorned with blasphemous signs and brands, although mutation has not yet taken hold of their bodies, and after this encounter it will not have the chance.

The one of them which wields a chainsword and a bolt pistol spots you and orders his squad to open fire. Their lasguns blaze towards you. You can either whether some of their shots, most either missing or being absorbed by your chestplate but some will find your flesh, or you can use your powers to block the shots with a psychokinetic shield, blur yourself in their eyes or any other reasonable defensive power you can conceive. You could also kill a some of them at range, or hold off so you can cleave them apart with you blade. In any case, they are just about half way through their magazines before you are among them. Kill them and keep moving toward the breech.

Auril: You, Mordred, Talerion and Galahad make your way back to your chambers to collect your equipment, maintaining mental contact with Ianus who remained in the training halls. Along the way, you are free to converse about anything or nothing, including your thoughts about the upcoming mission or perhaps confess how you have dealt or struggled with your brothers passing and allow any remaining wounds to be healed. About 3/4 through your journey, Talerion peels off from the rest of you, his quarters being two levels down and a little further aft than the rest of you. A little later you leave Galahad and Mordred to make your way to your quarters which are up one level and further forward. You arrive at your quarters in good time and are armoured in all but your legs when the klaxons sound, calling you and your brothers to battle stations.

You very quickly finish arming yourself. You might have liked to clean your Nemesis Force Sword after your bouts with the servitors, but sadly now is not the time, especially when you are likely to bloody it again so soon. As you leave your chambers you feel the ship beneath you shake and receive reports of multiple breaches, the closest to you being one that is on the same level as Talerion but further aft, about halfway between his quarters and the plasma-engines of the ship. From your chambers you are close to a path which will allow you to go directly down three levels and then along to link up with Talerion, or you can go the opposite way, back to where you left Mordred and Galahad, and then make your way to their quarters and link up with them. Do you act on instinct, pick a direction and inform Galahad as you go, or do you wait for instruction from him? Whichever you choose, you have little time to dawdle, so you should pick one quickly.

Mordred: You, Galahad, Talerion and Auril make your way back to your chambers to collect your equipment, maintaining mental contact with Ianus who remained in the training halls. Along the way, you are free to converse about anything or nothing, including your thoughts about the upcoming mission or perhaps confess how you have dealt or struggled with your brothers passing and allow any remaining wounds to be healed. About half-way through 2/3 through your journey, Talerion peels off from the rest of you, his quarters being two levels down and a little further aft than the rest of you. About 3/4 through the walk Auril peels off too, his quarters being one level higher and further forward than your quarters. You and Galahad arrive at your quarters not long after that and begin arming yourself. You get about half way through before the klaxons sound, calling you and your brothers to battle stations.

You decide that you must continue arming before you move out and so continue to arm yourself, although with greater haste than you had been previously. As you do so, you feel the ship shake, further evidence if you needed any that the battle is already underway. It seems that your first battle with Galahad as Justicar will be a live fire one. As you finish arming yourself you receive reports of various breaches, one of which is on the same level as Talerion but further aft, about halfway between his quarters and the plasma-engines of the ship. Whilst there are several others, that is the closest to all of you bar Ianus, who is probably still in the training halls. Feel free to advise Galahad in any capacity you wish and accompany him to the breach.

Ianus: The rest of your brothers depart, they themselves not armoured and armed as you are, although as they walk away the mental contact is sustained, meaning that any conversation they have is shared with you and you can interject into, something you have no doubt missed. Deciding to ready your mind for both the mock battle to come as well as the very real battle you will face not long after that, you sit in the centre of a training cage and allow your mind to meditate. As you do so, you use gift for precognition begins to search out strands of the futures to come to help aid in the coming battles. You see fights with you alone and with your brothers, many taking place in tight corridors. As these images of things to come reveal themselves to you, you realise that these are not the corridors of hive cities (which you have experiences) but they are in fact the halls of the very ship you are on. Your eyes snap open as you realise that the real battle will be upon you sooner than you anticipated. You realise you are almost half the ship away from your brothers and so begin to sprint towards where you know their chambers to be generally situated. As you do so the klaxons sound, calling you and your brothers to battle stations.

Your precognition means that you are not as far as you would have been. You sprint through the halls, Nemesis Force Sword in hand, towards the general direction of you brothers, As you do, you feel the ship shake beneath you and reports of multiple breaches start to reach you. One is on the same level as Talerion but further aft, about halfway between his quarters and the plasma-engines of the ship, close to your brothers. However, another is closer to you, almost directly three levels below you and slightly forward of one of the ship’s laser batteries. Do you continue to make your way towards your brothers and simply trust that others will defend the breach or do you make your way down there, covering more ground with the strength of your squad? In this decision, do you consult Galahad or simply act on your own instinct?

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 02-11-14 at 07:14 PM.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 04:20 AM

As they walked from the training halls, Galahad and Auril slightly drifted ahead of Talerion, taking a rather leisurely pace, doing what he could to recover from his arduous time already spent in the the training cages. His bare feet feeling the comforting cold of the ship's decking, something about being aboard a ship in the service of the Emperor gave peace to his mind, knowing he was serving the Emperor's will.

He walked perhaps ten paces behind Galahd and Auril, and a little less behind Mordred, speaking up in his low rumbling voice "I must disembark here my Brothers," as he turned to take the stairs that would lead down and aft towards his quarters. Before fully disappearing from sight though he intoned his thoughts to his battle brother Mordred, something he had not wished to say in the training cages while in front of their other brothers. +"Brother Mordred, your duty to Brother Justicar Galahad is still the same it has always been to whomever is, or will be Justicar of Dorthac. Do not second guess, or doubt yourself. Brother Zephyr's death could not have been prevented through any other action or inaction on your part. We all trust your blade, and so you must trust in it Brother Mordred."+

Talerion reached his quarters and went about his typical routine, speaking aloud The Canticle of Absolution,which is also marked in ink onto his left forearm, just above The Sigilate's Seal. The tattooed Grey Knights War cry upon his right arm, he speaks it solemnly as he always does before taking up arms. Then the klaxons suddenly erupt, bursting and echoing through the halls of the great ship. His routine interrupted Talerion moves quickly, as an Astartes he is beyond superstition, still a routine allows one to ensure that their equipment will always function properly. Quickly he dons his massive chest plate, the plate by itself however only providing protection to his chest, not having time to fully armor himself Talerion quickly takes stock of the armament before him, grabbing and pulling on his left vambrace, which would include his storm bolter integrated into it. Placing his helmet on and securing it, the system quickly uploaded all pertinent information, chief among them being that numerous breeches were taking place all over the ship. One of these breeches was not far down the corridor and in towards the aft end of the ship, dangerously close to the plasma-engines.

Using the vox comm, Talerion quickly informed Galahad of his course of action, "Brother Justicar Galahad, I am proceeding to the breech at these coordinates aboard the ship," he mentally input the command and the coordinates of the breech he would be heading for were processed in real time, the interface of their helmets linking directly with their brain synapses. The transmission was seemless and Galahad would be informed exactly where Talerion was heading. "The proximity of the breech to the plasma engines of the ship requires my immediate action Brother Justicar," Talerion spoke in a quick, but controlled tone. His right hand wrapped around the well worn wrappings that adorned the shaft of his Nemesis Force Halberd, the blade crackling to life with blue and white energies lashing about the blade. With chest was fully protected by his power armor plate, his helmet, snugly set in and his neck protected by the gorget on his plate, Talerion cleared his chambers. Still, with his lower body covered only in training cloth, wrapped about his body to keep him 'decent' with an additional layer of heavy fabric over the fabric hanging in front and back to about his knees. His incredibly muscled legs were exposed to any dangers he might face, his feet pounding on the cold steel as he made his way towards the engine bay of the ship. His shoulders were equally exposed, and though his left arm had the vambrace with the storm bolter, his right arm was completely uncovered, though not unarmed as he carried his halberd firmly in his right hand.

As he rounded a corner in the passageway he caught sight of something that caused his eyes to open wide, his face to turn into a snarl, like a beast that had seen an old foe. Traitors, no, worse, these were Heretics, those who had marked themselves willingly with the signs and markings of Chaos. The vox comm crackled open as he relayed his message, simple and to the point to illustrate the depth of the situation, "Heretics have breeched the ship Brothers!"

The Sergeant of the squadron that Talerion came upon saw the giant Astartes round the corner, not fully armored and looking like something of a terrifying HopLite or ancient times. Talerion bellowed to them, making eye contact with the sergeant, as the once servant of the Emperor leveled his laspistol at him. "Fire" Talerion heard, and the pink, white hot streaks of lasgun fire flew past him. Suddenly, a crackling pink and white barrier leapt in front of Talerion, casting aside many of the blasts from the lasguns. His psykokinetic barrier having always been one of his more favored tools within his defensive arsenal, it gave him the opportunity to return fire, the storm bolter bursting to life with thunderous cracks as it tore into the Traitor Guard as Talerion closed the distance.

The volley of massive bolts struck home on three of the Guard before the could seek cover, the thudding blasts simply turned their bodies into pulp and fragmented tissue. Talerion was upon them, those that had sought cover on either side of the hallway opened fire again, again the psychokinetic barrier flared up, Talerion chose to block the shots coming at him from behind, knowing there were more Guard behind than in front. The las gun blasts were still largely ineffective, singing the ceramite chest plate where it hit home, a pair of las burns on his right tricep as the result of two shots that had found their mark. Then the Halberd swung out in front of him, so fluid was its path that it seemed almost as if it was at the end of a rope or chain, each slash was precise, perfectly aimed to land a mortal blow, either an instant death or something that guaranteed death would come shortly. In one swing of the weapon, two of the Traitor Guard lay in two pieces each, one cut through from armpit to armpit, the other, who had been crouching in order to fire had been cleaved cleanly from the top of the shoulder blades up.

Spinning Talerion created a combat shield for himself of psychokinetic energy to momentarily absorb the incoming lasgun and laspistol fire, the pink and white shield crackling with energies as it absorbed blasts. The Halberd shot forward, this time rocketing forward, impaling one of the Guardsmen through the chest, leaving an impossibly clean, yet gaping wound where his chest and torso had once been. The follow through was an overhand, downward slash cutting through the last unranked Guardsmen from the top of his collarbone straight through to his opposing hip. The Guard Sergeant brought his chainsword up as if to strike Talerion with the weapon, but found his sword hand in the vice like grip of Talerion's left vambrace, a face of wracked agony forming over the man's face as Talerion squeezed the sword wielding first until blood, bone and tendon oozed out through the gaps between the fingers of the vambraced hand, like juice being squeezed from a ripe citrus fruit. The halberd, with its purity seal flashing in the air struck again, this time in another thrust, with such force that it simultaneously impaled and sent the Guard Sergeant careening into the bulkhead. "I have to get to the plasma engines before any of these Heretics do," Talerion thought, wondering just what else had breeched the hulls of their vessel, no matter, he would meet it head on.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-14, 12:26 PM

Auril remained silent the whole way to his chambers- taciturn as always, the Grey Knight was not one given to unnecessary speech. His voice was first and foremost for the God-Emperor, to be lifted high in praise, and to waste its words on trivia was... well, a waste.

Talerion left the other three first; Auril's path diverged second. His cell was further forward than the others, and up one level; reaching the door, the Astartes stepped into his spartan accommodations.

He eschewed the use of servitors in arming himself- his war-plate, ceramite-grey and inscribed with the words of thousands of prayers, rustling with purity seals and scrolls of faith, was as much a part of his body as his right hand. Therefore, donning his sacred battle armor was a personal duty, one that should be accomplished as maintenance of his own body- which, in itself, was a sacred vessel, blessed and shaped by the hand of the God-Emperor and His chosen proxies.

The breastplate, etched with the words of saints old and new, went on first; with a series of wet schlicks, the piece slid into place upon the Grey Knight's chest. With reverence, Auril touched two fingers to the lavishly adorned ceramite case in the center- within lay a copy of the holy Liber Daemonicum.

The rest of the suit went on almost without incident, and with just as much reverence; armored to his waist, Auril felt something wrong psychically, barely a moment before the alarm klaxons sounded. For a second he paused, and then, wordlessly, he began to armor his legs.

It would be a grave sin to not show the proper reverence for each and every piece of sacred ceramite; increasing his speed, the Grey Knight muttered each prayer as quickly as possible. Before long, he stood fully clad in his war plate; finally, lowering the helm down upon his shaven head, he was complete.

The long Nemesis blade, his sword, his right arm, was spattered in machine-oil and ceremonial unguent. It would be proper to clean it- but it would be bloodied again in but a moment, and the spirit of the weapon would forgive him.

Auril set off, the heavy boots of his battle-suit ringing heavily on the deck of the ship. Breaches bled bright in his visor display; Talerion's icon showed at one nearby, not the closest, however. But Grey Knights fought as a unit; mind-bonded, the Astartes would kill in the name of the God-Emperor at each other's side. To that end, Auril set off to the aft, going down to Talerion's level.

+Justicar, I go to Talerion's side.+ he sent, already feeling the pulses of psychic energy and death-shrieks of the heretics his brother had slain. Their minds brushed together; reaching out to the other Astartes, Auril sent a nonverbal psychic nudge- I am here. I am with you.

He arrived just as his brother impaled a heretic in the uniform of an Imperial Guard sergeant upon the blade of his halberd.

+I stand at your side, brother.+

"You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honorable man."
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 04:10 AM

Talerion looked up over his shoulder having sensed Auril's approach and feeling his thoughts reaching out to him, +I stand at your side, brother+. He nodded and spoke through the vox comm to Auril "Brother Auril, I am glad to have you by my side! There are heretics boarding the Holy Wrath!" There was a sense of urgency in his tone as he went on explaining the situation. "Thus far I've only encountered this lot of scum Brother Auril, but there are likely others...Perhaps even Astartes that have fallen to the sway of Chaos." Even speaking the possibility out loud put a foul taste in his mouth, but that was the reality of what they may have been facing.

"Why are you not in your full power armor Talerion?" Auril asked, as he took note of his battle brother's half-armored body.
"There was no time. I will use my kinetic barriers as well as I can to keep us both girded Brother Auril." His response was short and direct, but not rude, they simply did not have time to waste. Talerion tilted his head in a coaxing motion, his halberd wielding right hand giving a slight wave, an indication for Auril to follow. "We must reach the plasma engines Auril, if the enemy gains a foothold there they could sunder the ship."

"An excellent question Auril," Justicar Galahad's voice rang over the vox comm, there was clear annoyance and irritation in his tone as he spoke. "Talerion, your thoughtless actions may have risked not only your own life but the lives of the entire squad. I understand that we must protect the engines but there are defenders there already. By rushing to them un-armoured you have achieved nothing and risked everything. You will return to your arming chamber as quickly as possible and meet up with Ianus upon armouring while I, Mordred and Auril continue on to the engines. I have lost enough battle brothers recently and I will not lose another. Auril, while Talerion may have been mistaken in rushing unarmoured to the engines you were right to follow him once armoured in order to assist him. You will remain in your present location until I and Mordred arrive.’ I moved my mind to Ianus. ‘Brother I need you to meet with Talerion at his chambers once he is armoured. If you arrive before he has finished doing so, guard him while he prepares.’

"Acknowledged Justicar," was Tylerion's only response, his tone somber and dejected. He did not speak as he turned to Auril and nodded, instead intoning his thoughts to his battle brother +Justicar Galahad and Mordred will be meeting you here, I must return to my quarters and fully arm myself as per the Justicar's orders. Apologies for having to leave your side in this moment brother Auril+

Wasting no time, Talerion sprinted back to his quarters, having used the vox comm to have several servitors awaiting his arrival in order to aid in donning his remaining plates of the power armor. The hallways seemed endlessly long, the crashing, rumbling, and explosive sounds of ship to ship and boarding combat ringing throughout the ship all around him.

He turned the corner and he saw three servitors awaiting him in the hallway just outside his room. As the entourage entered his chambers he placed his force halberd on its rack and thrust his arms out, the servitors whirred into action. One servitor prepared and affixed the left gauntlet to the storm bolter adorned vambrace he already wore, the other two servitors quickly placed first the vambrace, and then the gauntlet onto his right arm. The upper arm and pauldrons were then affixed, and his upper body was fully covered in the airtight sealed ceramite plate armor.

As the other two servitors had worked to make ready his upper body's armor, the third had begun to attach the lower plates. Starting with the groin and cuisse plates, then the other two servitors moved their focus to the Astartes' legs as well and finished armoring Talerion with his greaves. A rapid, but thorough scan was conducted by Talerion and he nodded in approval as everything was operating properly, the system scan indicated that the power armor was operating nominally and that all linkages and seals were perfect, meaning his armor was air tight and would allow him to operate in the vacuum of space if necessary.

Fully armored now, Talerion grabbed his force halberd and exited his quarters. The servitors followed suit, scurrying along down the hallway, likely answering another summons where there mechanical assistance was needed. He noticed Brother Ianus standing some ten feet or so away, securing the area. "My apologies Brother Ianus. It was not my intention to make you wait on me. Come we are to rendezvous with the rest of Dothrac." and the two Astartes began to move down the corridor, back in the direction of the plasma engines of the Holy Wrath.

Last edited by Krymson86; 02-25-14 at 09:54 PM.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 06:55 PM

Mordred walks with his brothers: Galahad, Auril and Talerion through the hallways back to his own room and the arming cell that he shares with Galahad in completely silence as he reflects more on the fact that Galahad is now the Justicar of Dothrac, and that it means that the psychic bond between the remaining squad members will begin to heal as Galahad asserts himself as Justicar and learns more on how to direct his squad brothers. Frowning slightly to himself Mordred’s mind shifts to a potential future of what would happen is Galahad were to fall, not only it would mean that Dothrac would be undermanned and that the bonds would be broken even more as Galahad’s telepathic and empathic abilities help hold the squad together, but it means that Mordred himself would experience grief even more than when Zephyr was slain. While Zephyr was his mentor and his leader, Galahad is his friend and has been side by side with Mordred since after the trials, Mordred himself had no idea how he would react to Galahad’s death if it was to come before his own, and with the blessing for the Emperor that wouldn’t be for many many years to come.

Mordred blinked in surprise before turning his head to the right to look back at Talerion as he opened a psychic link to him seemingly wishing to keep this conversation between the two of them though he had no doubt that if Galahad wished he could of probably picked up on the conversation. Listening to what Talerion had to say Mordred visable shook his head slightly so that Talerion could see as he replied: +"Thank you brother for those words, however it is because of my failing that Zephyr had fallen. If my forsight had been stronger along with my combat abilities then I could of predicted what Kartha the Forsworn, a thosuand curses upon his name, had planned and would of been able to stop him from slaying out Justicar. But i will follow your words and do the same as I always have and i believe it is you who should be protecting Justicar Galahad is it now as you wish to aspire to the ranks of Champion, Brother?"+ With that Mordred closed the mental link before Talerion could answer and did not reply to anything his brothers had to say until Galahad himself had opened a link to speak with him.

Mordred blinks twice before he turns his head slightly to look Galahad as his Brother-Justicar opens a mental link to him. “What is on your mind brother?” Mordred turns his head to look back infront of him as he walks with his brothers. +“Nothing Brother-Justicar, I was merely thinking of the future of Squad Dothrac that is all.”+ Mordred sent back through the mental link as he snapped his thoughts back to the present as he watched Talerion peel off to go to his arming chamber and then now that much longer Auril leaving to go to his leaving Mordred and Galahad alone.

+“How do you feel about the Brother-Champion finding you worthy of leading the squad into battle Brother-Justicar?”+ Mordred sent through the mental link after a few minutes of silence as he continued to walk with Galahad. “I feel calm my friend. I hope I can lead you and the others as well as Zephyr once did.” Mordred inclined his head slightly in respect to the now deceased Zephyr and to Galahad’s noble ambitions but he had to speak his mind. +“Zephyr's was perhaps one of the greatest of us Galahad, He would of eventually became Captain if it had not been for that bastard Kartha. His example will be hard for you to follow as his legacy has cast a long shadow with which you will need to emerge from. I am certain our Brothers will aid you in what ever way they can should you but ask.”+

“Our brothers my friend? What of yourself?”. Mordred would be silent for a few moments before answering: +“Myself? I will aid you when I can, however it is because of my own failings that Zephyr no longer lives and until I can be certain that I have atoned from my failures then I can not trust myself. I have already buried one Justicar, I have no desire to bury another.”+ With that seeming to end the conversation between the two of them Mordred looked up at the doors that led to his and Galahad’s arming chamber and entered without another word.

Mordred has been half way through donning his armour when the klaxons sounded, looking up from checking that his Stormbolter was fully connected to his armour and its ammo reserves even though Mordred himself rarely used it. Turning to give Galahad a quick glance and an ever so light shrug before he began attaching the rest of his gauntlets and upper armour with all the haste he could muster before turning to pick up Galahad’s back mounted generator and helped his battle brother attach it before allowing Galahad to do the same for him. After fully armoring himself Mordred nodded to Galahad as he pulled out the small hair ring that help his shoulder length hair in its small pony tail allowing it to flow around his shoulders before attaching his helmet and drawing his blade following Galahad and awaiting his orders remaining silent to see how best Galahad would handle this situation and replying if Galahad asks for any advice.

Last edited by revan4559; 02-26-14 at 05:17 PM.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 07:14 PM
Reaper of Souls

Santaire's Flag is: United Kingdom

I walked with my brothers. Mordred was to my left, Auril slightly behind and to my right. Talerion walked ten paces behind the three of us. I felt calmer than I had since Zephyr’s death. Once again I had a purpose in my life. I had to protect my brothers. My squad. That was my goal and I would die before I let myself fail in that task.

As we walked I spread my mental awareness out to those who moved with me. Auril was a rock of faith, Talerion calm and his mind peaceful but Mordred was different. Mordred’s mind was still the same beacon of strength it had always been but his incredible focus seemed, well, unfocussed. I turned my head to him and brushed his mind with my own ’What is on your mind brother?’ I asked through the link

+“How do you feel about the Brother-Champion finding you worthy of leading the squad into battle Brother-Justicar?”+ Mordred conveyed through the mind link after a few minutes of silence as he continued to walk side by side with me. I shrugged my soldiers slightly before replying. 'I feel calm my friend. I hope I can lead you and our brothers as well as Zephyr once did.'

+"Zephyr's was perhaps one of the greatest of us Galahad, He would of eventually became Captain if it had not been for that bastard Kartha. His example will be hard for you to follow as his legacy has cast a long shadow with which you will need to emerge from. I am certain our Brothers will aid you in whatever way they can should you but ask.”+ I appreciated Mordred’s complete honesty more than I was offended by what some would view a slight to my ability. I also noted the way he avoided mentioning himself as someone to aid me. 'Our brothers my friend? What of yourself?' I enquired.

+"Myself? I will aid you when i can, however it is because of my own failings that Zephyr no longer lives and until I can be certain that I have atoned from my failures then I cannot trust myself. I have already buried one Justicar, I have no desire to bury another."+

There was nothing to say in response to such a frank statement of fact.

In the arming chamber I and Mordred moved apart to our separate armour stands and prepared for combat in silence. Each armour piece was placed on my body with care, fitted with precision and patience. As I fitted my chest plate I ran my fingers over the prayer inscribed on its surface and, closing my eyes, I murmured the words under my breath as I fitted it and the remainder of my armour.

The klaxon sounded soon after but I finished armouring before turning and allowing Mordred to fit my power pack before I did the same favour for him.

"Brother Justicar Galahad, I am proceeding to the breech at these coordinates aboard the ship," Talerion said, inputting his coordinates and those of his target. The transmission was seamless and I was informed immediately. "The proximity of the breech to the plasma engines of the ship requires my immediate action Brother Justicar,"

Auril sent his own opinion soon after. +Justicar, I go to Talerion's side.+

I received these messages as myself and Mordred left the arming chamber and I almost punched the bulkhead in frustration. My mind was linked to both Auril’s and Talerion’s and so I heard Auril’s voice perfectly when he said "Why are you not in your full power armour Talerion?" After he spoke, I really did punch the bulkhead.

‘An excellent question Auril. Talerion, your thoughtless actions you may have risked not only your own life but the lives of the entire squad. I understand that we must protect the engines but there are defenders there already. By rushing to them un-armoured you have achieved nothing and risked everything. You will return to your arming chamber as quickly as possible and meet up with Ianus upon armouring while I, Mordred and Auril continue on to the engines. I have lost enough battle brothers recently and I will not lose another. Auril, while Talerion may have been mistaken in rushing unarmoured to the engines you were right to follow him once armoured in order to assist him. You will remain in your present location until I and Mordred arrive.’ I moved my mind to Ianus. ‘Brother I need you to meet with Talerion at his chambers once he is armoured. If you arrive before he has finished doing so, guard him while he prepares.’

Finishing my mental communications I locked my mind onto Auril’s location as I and Mordred pounded towards him.

We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment - and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
— Flemeth

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

The first mate was a man whom Ignaus depended on. He was youth, not even half Ignaus’s age but he had a brilliant mind and his station on Holy Wrath was largely to gain experience before being given command of his own vessel to serve the knights of Titan. Unlike Ignaus, he kept himself clean shaven and maintained a vibrant blond mohawk. This man was one Orphello Graussus, born to one of the noble houses of his home planet Faust IV. He had not seen his home in over 20 year and he did not regret it one bit.

Ignaus barked orders at the bridge as a traitor vessel came in for a broadside run. The size of Holy Wrath concealed a strength that such a vessel would soon discover in the most fatal of ways. The access codes of the attacking vessel identified it a Corphelus’s Hope, a name Orphello found ironic although he would only make jokes of it once the situation had been resolved.

“Arm lances and macro-cannons” came the firm orders from Ignaus focusing Orphello’s attention back to the present matters. His fingers moved dexterously and he was rewarded with several chimes indicating that the desired weapons were ready to fire at a moment’s notice. The enemy ship was almost parallel to them. The vessel had fired with what appeared to be its main lance batteries, but they were far less powerful than Holy Wrath’s. The impacts had rocked the ship it’s shields had held comfortably.

“How about we show these traitors the cost of forsaking the Emperor?” Ignaus called to the whole bridge with a gleeful edge. Orphello smiled. He liked the silvered man he served. The vessel fired with a full strength broadside, the impact of which was again absorbed by Holy Wrath’s shields, before Holy Wrath responded in kind. Vastly superior lance batteries tore through the enemy’s weaker shields and successive impacts from the ship’s macro-cannons tore Corphelus’s Hope, detonating in its heart and resulting in a thermonuclear fireball.

Looking down at his display, Orphello noted that there were several boarding pods moving towards the ship.
“Captain, boarding pods. Shall we try to track them?”
“No, let them face the Grey Knights. We have a war to win.”
“As you say Captain.” Responded Orphello. There were almost 30 Astartes on board and those that weren’t cooked alive in their pods would be cut down by the Imperium’s finest. As Holy Wrath moved on to help with the larger battle in play, Orphello wondered if it would have been kinder to let those trying to take the vessel to die in the vacuum of space. But then, heretics deserved no kindness, so it was a fitting end…

All: You are almost all armed, armoured and stand ready to protect your ship. There are a total of 9 breaches from boarding pods, only 5 of which contain heretics who survived the explosion of their ship to try and take the ship. The one closest to you appears to have disgorged foes who are trying to take the plasma engines, one of the least defended areas of the ship. The serfs that serve your order will delay them as much as possible, but it is imperative that you respond as soon as possible.

Note that in this update there are various options of how you may proceed. This will require discussion amongst yourselves. If you decide to try to flank the platoon then PM me and I’ll add some addition information to the update. If not, then just remember the rules of not God-modding and I trust you to come up with your own way of overcoming this obstacle.

Galahad: You are already experiencing the struggles of command with Talerion leaving his arming chamber without being fully armoured. You and Mordred make your way to Auril at a breakneck speed, your footsteps falling heavily. After a few moments you see Auril and the three of you make your way towards the indicated breach. You head down the corridor Auril was in, hang a left continue on for a bit then turn right. As you turn the corner and see the boarding pod stuck about halfway down the corridor, its crude maw piercing the lovingly crafted bulkhead.

You see about 20 heretics behind a hastily made sand-bag barricade; eighteen of which stand with Lasguns which will likely do naught to you other than scorch your armour. However, what might concern you is the two men who operate the autocannon which begins to spit heavy calibre bullets at you after you turn the corner. You duck back around the corner, wishing to avoid the volley of shells. You know one boarding pod is enough to carry a full platoon of 50 troops. That means between the troops you found with Auril and those defending the breach, there are still up to 22 men unaccounted for and you must find. Most likely these men are guarding the path to their comrades further into the ship

Here you need to make a decision on how to proceed if at all. Some options to consider are; moving further down and attempting to flank the platoon, taking shots round the corner whilst waiting for Talerion and Ianus, utilising the psychic powers of your current squad, using the shield incorporating into your Warding Stave. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list, but one thing is certain; you must eliminate the threat somehow.

Talerion: Galahad’s command is very clear, and his reprimand his harsh. Do you try to justify your actions, perhaps even dare to argue with Galahad’s decision? Or do you simply accept his words with a respectful resignation. Even if you do argue, Galahad seems unwilling to allow you to proceed without your armour and it would be unheard of within the Grey Knight order to disobey a superior’s order. In this light, you head back to your arming chamber with all haste.

You arm yourself as quickly as is physically possible. If Ianus arrives before you are finished armouring yourself, you may wish to get him to assist you, trusting that nothing dangerous enough to pose a threat will appear before you are finished armouring. If Ianus doesn’t arrive before you have finished armouring, do you wait for him, or do you simply leave to join with Galahad your brothers again?

Whether alone or with Ianus, you make your way towards the breach, passing your previous kills as you do. . You head down the corridor you were previously in, hang a left continue on for a bit then turn right. As you run, you will be aware of your brother’s situation because of your mental link. Perhaps you can advise how to proceed. Whatever you do along the way, you quickly meet your brothers. If they have decided on some method of attack, then you will find them just as they are finishing killing the platoon guarding the breach. If they have waited for you, then you may proceed together in whatever manner has been decided on.

Auril: Clearly there is no arguing with Galahad’s command to remain where you are, despite any feelings you have about whether that is best or not. You stand for a few moments amongst those slain by Talerion. One interesting thing to note is that they seem to be largely un-mutated. Not that it is enough to disguise the darkness of their souls from you. You could leave them and simply wait for your brothers to arrive, or perhaps their presence on the ship is so disgusting to you that you chose to immolate them with your powers. Soon enough Mordred and Galahad arrive. You head down the corridor, hang a left continue on for a bit then turn right. As you turn the corner and see the boarding pod stuck about halfway down the corridor, its crude maw piercing the lovingly crafted bulkhead.

You see about 20 heretics behind a hastily made sand-bag barricade; eighteen of which stand with Lasguns which will likely do naught to you other than scorch your armour. However, what might concern you is the two men who operate the autocannon which begins to spit heavy calibre bullets at you after you turn the corner. You duck back around the corner, wishing to avoid the volley of shells. You know one boarding pod is enough to carry a full platoon of 50 troops. That means between the troops you found with Auril and those defending the breach, there are still up to 22 men unaccounted for and you must find. Most likely these men are guarding the path to their comrades further into the ship

Here a decision must be made on how to proceed if at all. Galahad may well value your input on how to proceed. Perhaps you believe your armour will be enough to protect you. Or perhaps you think that with enough psychic strength loaned from the others that you would be able to generate a wall of flame which would melt the autocannon shells, although the effect on the lascannon shots would be negligible. Whatever your opinions on how to proceed are, if you have any, discuss them with Galahad and work out a plan of how to proceed.

Mordred: You hear all that goes on in the exchange between Galahad, Auril and Talerion. Likely you aren’t surprised given Talerion’s hot-headed nature, but perhaps leaving to do battle without being full armoured is a new level or recklessness on Talerion’s part? You and Galahad make your way to Auril at a breakneck speed, your footsteps falling heavily. After a few moments you see Auril and the three of you make your way towards the indicated breach. You head down the corridor Auril was in, hang a left continue on for a bit then turn right. As you turn the corner and see the boarding pod stuck about halfway down the corridor, its crude maw piercing the lovingly crafted bulkhead.

Here a decision must be made on how to proceed if at all. Galahad may well value your input on how to proceed. Perhaps you believe your precognitive skills as well as your armour is good enough to allow you to avoid the worst of the Autocannon’s fire and so you could silence it and allow your brothers to advance moments later? Whatever your opinions on how to proceed are, if you have any, discuss them with Galahad and work out a plan of how to proceed.

Ianus: Your update is largely unchanged from last time, since you did not update. The only real addition is Galahad’s command to you which you must now factor into your decision.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-14, 02:33 AM

As he sprinted, barefoot across the cold plasteel flooring of the corridor he made his way towards his chambers. He used the interfaces in his helmet to summon for several servitors to meet him there and aid him in donning his armor. "Brother Ianus, I am almost to my chambers per the Justicar's orders. I have servitors awaiting my arrival and will be fully armored within a a few minutes."

As he bounded to the corridor in which his chambers were, Ianus was still nowhere in sight, opting to quickly don his armor so as to be ready for his battle brothers arrival, he quickly entered his room, the servitors trailed in after him. The whirring of their servo-arms coming to life as they quickly attached the remaining plates and greaves that Talerion had not equipped himself with at first. The time, no more than three minutes seemed terribly drawn out, Talerion was thinking on the words Galahad had admonished him with. He's right...I have possibly endangered all of Dothrac now... he thought to himself, thought to himself, though his brothers if they were tuned into his thoughts might be able to hear some of it as well. Knowing that his brothers were possibly fighting without not one, but two battle brothers as a result of his actions. He had made a foolish choice, and now as a result Brother Ianus would be delayed if he had to wait for him.

Fully armored now, Talerion emerged from his chambers, looking left to right, still he did not see Brother Ianus. "Brother Ianus, I await your arrival to my chambers," his voice boomed over the vox comm, "Upon your arrival we will move together to meet up with the Justicar and the rest of Dothrac, we will be able to make up more ground together." He stood in the halls, an ominous figure clad in grey ceramite, the gold filagree across the chest plate of his armor gleaming in the dim lighting of the corridor, a psykokinetic shield flickering in pink washes of energy over his left arm just over his stormbolter wielding vambrace. His right hand now clad in the power gauntlet held his Nemesis Force Halberd, the pink and blue swathes of energy flickering along the length of the weapon, casting shadows in the corridor as he awaited the arrival of Ianus.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode