Interest Check: World War I RP - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
emporershand89's Avatar
emporershand89's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Posts: 2,270
Reputation: 8
Default Interest Check: World War I RP

I have started this thread in an attempt to find out the interest level in a World War 1(Uno) based Roleplaying thread that I have been working on for quite some time. This is Alternate History Roleplaying, similar to Harry Turtledove or Ron Gamuel books for those of you who might have read them. Iím not looking for in-depth discussion, more rather who would be up for it, and any idea you might have that I may have overlooked.

So hereís the story my friendsÖÖ..the civilized world started into absolute Chaos. Germany and Austria are at France and Britainís throats and everyone in between is being forced to choose a side. You come in as a Lieutenant in charge of a Platoon. You are in charge of one of the various units station on the Western Front in Europe in 1914 at the onset of the war. You and your men will be tested in battle against opposing forces in the ensuing conflict. You will have to strategically prepare, fight, and organize so that your men come home alive to see their wives and children once more. This is your story, this is there story, this is total warfare in one of the most brutal combat environments humanity has ever faced. Now rise to the challenge and become the best you can be.

Cheesy right (itís 3am, totally fried). You will be allowed to use historically accurate units on both the Axis and Allied side of the fighting. You could be Americans, Australians, British, French, Beligum, Turks, Austrians, German, anyone you could think of if your can provide me with a correct historical database backing your units historical accuracy. You will then take you and your men into the fight. Each week a new post will be updated with the current storyline and missions to the completed. Eventually you will be forced to fight each other in battle, which I have created based on historical battles between these great nations. At times your character may need to lead from the front and risk it all, others times he might direct artillery in massive duels of logistics and sheer firepower. At other times he may need diplomacy to have another player side with him to face a obstacle/challenge. How you deal with the situation at hand will determine your numbers, equipment assigned to you, and the opponents you face.

Simply put there it is. Tell me what ya think



"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
emporershand89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator
 
darkreever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey, little ways out of NYC
Posts: 6,993
Reputation: 25
Default

Great, here we go with another bout of insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
I have started this thread in an attempt to find out the interest level in a World War 1
Personally I think it would be interesting, considering the number of new weapons and inventions that came about with the complete lack of protection and counter.

If not to play, then definitely to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
based Roleplaying thread that I have been working on for quite some time.
No offense, or take it however you want, but I and likely others highly doubt those last few words for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
This is Alternate History Roleplaying,
What exactly is going to be alternate history about this? The Great War was, by and large, rather straightforward in events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Germany and Austria are at France and Britainís throats and everyone in between is being forced to choose a side.
So first, I'm guessing that it is safe to assume the archduke of Austria is dead then? Second, your aware that most countries didn't get much of a say in which side they were on right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
You come in as a Lieutenant in charge of a Platoon. You are in charge of one of the various units
So the idea here is to make everyone the leader of a large group of npc's, so that they are essentially roleplaying on their own? You realize you do this time and again with little, if any, alteration and it never works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
station on the Western Front in Europe
Mind you my WW1 history is a bit rusty but didn't the bulk of the fighting take place in central Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
in 1914 at the onset of the war.
So right when the shit hits the fan? I'm not entirely sure what in this is alternate history, but if events go down anything like how they actually did that could leave some 'groups' waiting for months before they did anything. (If memory serves, things like long range radio communications were neither fast nor 'reliable' until late into the war.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
one of the most brutal combat environments humanity has ever faced.
How long have you been working on this and what research have you done exactly? I'm not asking these to detract from you in anyway, I really want to know and I am sure others wouldn't mind knowing these things either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Cheesy right (itís 3am, totally fried).
Assuming your in New York again, your post time says 5:30; so your either more fried than you realize or that was a quick cover that I'm blowing away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Axis and Allied
Central or Axis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
I have created based on historical battles between these great nations.
If your basing events on historical events throughout the war then how is this alternate?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.


Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
darkreever is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 01:41 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Not every shadow, but any shadow
Posts: 7,889
Reputation: 74
Default

I think you'll find the bulk of WW1 was fought in Belgium and France.
Which I think is Western Europe ? Central Europe is Germany to Poland?
Magpie_Oz is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Yru0's Avatar
Yru0's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 414
Reputation: 3
Default

The 'Western Front' was largely a term used to describe the westernmost European front line. Generally this referred to the trenches between France, Belgium, Germany etc. Also, your right Darkreever in that the Central Alliance and were in WWI and the Axis in WWII, in fact if my memory serves, the Allies weren't around till WWII either ('officially'), they referred to as the Entente (and there's an accent in there too...) powers...I think... I'd also point out that the Western Front, although tragic and a sight of horrible death, was in fact arguably not the most violent area of WWI in terms of amount of deaths. Our old friends the Ruskies on the Eastern front alone suffered around 2,000,000 casualties, more than any other country in the war. The Eastern front had around 16 million casualties to the Western's 13 million (src: Wikipedia )...I mean the fact that the war spawned a revolution in Russia is evidence of just how bad it went for them, leading to their essential surrender late in the war to Germany and her allies with the treaty of Brest-Litvosk.

All in all I'm interested in the idea! Although I am interested how the mechanics would work, I don't expect them to be gone into too much depth on an 'idea' thread, I'd probably still be on the sidelines: I'm struggling with the 2 active RPs I'm currently in and I'm always on the lookout for a reboot of Karak's 'Age of Imperialism' (here's to hoping! :D ) so I try to keep some RP time free. Also, I'd say that 'alternate history' has to always be based on fact, the very presence of the RPers will turn the history upside down most likely, and whether its something as big as a German landing on Birtain or the USA joining the Central Powers (not as far fetched as it seems apparently) or as small as Germany losing that one battle to slightly a lesser extent, its still 'alternate' history :D

Thanks all for bearing through my 'verbal' tirade, tested on this in class not to long ago so couldn't resist :3

Chaos Marine - "Where's your god Emperor now!?"
Loyal Astartes - "Right Behind you...."
Chaos Marine - *Turns around*
Chuck Norris with a Powerfist - "FALCON PUNCH!"
Yru0 is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator
 
darkreever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey, little ways out of NYC
Posts: 6,993
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
they referred to as the Entente (and there's an accent in there too...) powers...I think...
Present day history often chooses to refer to them as the Allies, largely due to the fact that three of the more powerful members also form the Allies of World War II. (Its a matter of convenience, both names are ultimately correct.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
I mean the fact that the war spawned a revolution in Russia is evidence of just how bad it went for them, leading to their essential surrender late in the war to Germany and her allies with the treaty of Brest-Litvosk.
Many European nations underwent revolutions leading up to, during, or just after the war. The ones prior were actually contributing factors to its cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
and whether its something as big as a German landing on Birtain or the USA joining the Central Powers (not as far fetched as it seems apparently)
Now those could be quite interesting.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.


Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Last edited by darkreever; 03-23-13 at 05:06 PM.
darkreever is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
emporershand89's Avatar
emporershand89's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Posts: 2,270
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Great, here we go with another bout of insanity
Good to see you too buddy Hows life in crazy NJ....or is it NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Mind you my WW1 history is a bit rusty but didn't the bulk of the fighting take place in central Europe?
Most of the fighting was on the "Western Front" as we formally refer to it. This was along a line that ran from Belgium through Lorriane and all the way down towards the Meditterreanean, sometimes even near Marsaille. So in "Western Europe." Sadly the "Entente" as the Allies refered themselves as never made it deep into Germany. I'm focusing on this front, I figured trying to do a massive territorial RPG like some of my previous idea's wouldn't really work out. Though thnxs for the input



Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Assuming your in New York again, your post time says 5:30; so your either more fried than you realize or that was a quick cover that I'm blowing away.
Hahaha, so true actually I noticed that today. Ditto on my part I'm no longer in NY, I've left that place for greener pastures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Which I think is Western Europe ? Central Europe is Germany to Poland?
Yes, Western Europe is considered Germany and Westward(France, Engand, Belguim, Spain, e.t.c) Central Europe ironically is considered parts of Germany and Italy, Poland and into the Balkans though thats a whole different area all together as far as WWI was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
Thanks all for bearing through my 'verbal' tirade, tested on this in class not to long ago so couldn't resist :3
My thoughts exactly. I'm not trying to be Harry Turtledove and "Re-invent" history. Rather alternate it depending on the RP'ers decisions. General Erich Ludendorff's advance of 1918 may never occur, or perhaps the Germans may not have been successful at the Battle of Ypres because the player decided to employ artillery instead of chlorine gas. Regardless I used the term "a;ternate history" in the sense that I'm letting the player create history; instead of the storyline rigidly follow history. Interesting perspective though, thnxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
I'd also point out that the Western Front, although tragic and a sight of horrible death, was in fact arguably not the most violent area of WWI in terms of amount of deaths. Our old friends the Ruskies on the Eastern front alone suffered around 2,000,000 casualties
Sadly true. It almost makes Lenin look like a hero for pulling them out


Were all nerds here right? It's cool man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
I'd say that 'alternate history' has to always be based on fact, the very presence of the RPers will turn the history upside down most likely, and whether its something as big as a German landing on Birtain or the USA joining the Central Powers (not as far fetched as it seems apparently) or as small as Germany losing that one battle to slightly a lesser extent, its still 'alternate' history :D


Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Present day history often chooses to refer to them as the Allies, largely due to the fact that three of the more powerful members also form the Allies of World War II. (Its a matter of convenience, both names are ultimately correct.)
Correctamundo mon amis



"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
emporershand89 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome