[Recruitment] Darkness, a Conquest Roleplay (OOC) Recruitment closed! - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 01:40 PM

Yru0's Flag is: Australia

@Romero so will it be kind of an either/or system? Like build x number of ships OR x number of soldiers? Or can you build your allotted amount of ships in addition to your land forces? :D

Chaos Marine - "Where's your god Emperor now!?"
Loyal Astartes - "Right Behind you...."
Chaos Marine - *Turns around*
Chuck Norris with a Powerfist - "FALCON PUNCH!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

Well each province will be able to create troops or ships. So if you have, lets say, two provinces, you could make troops in one while making ships in the other.

And no-one get any ideas about sitting in a corner of the map amassing a huge army. If i spot anyone doing that I will make sure the surrounding nations get a bit more 'unfriendly'.

The system of recruitment is only for replacing losses. So you can;t make a thousand ships if you haven't lost a thousand ships. That represents people compensating for any defeats they have.

If there any queries or problems with these rules just let me know.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
post #43 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 02:20 PM

If I don't have the trait to build iron Clads, is there a way to develop it, or am I stuck as a nation afraid of the water?

post #44 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 03:08 PM

You stuck
post #45 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 03:53 PM
Reaper of Souls

Santaire's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero's Own View Post
Well each province will be able to create troops or ships. So if you have, lets say, two provinces, you could make troops in one while making ships in the other.

And no-one get any ideas about sitting in a corner of the map amassing a huge army. If i spot anyone doing that I will make sure the surrounding nations get a bit more 'unfriendly'.

The system of recruitment is only for replacing losses. So you can;t make a thousand ships if you haven't lost a thousand ships. That represents people compensating for any defeats they have.

If there any queries or problems with these rules just let me know.
I know that you're the gm and this is your rp but I can't understand why nations wouldn't recruit more troops in times of peace. Maybe you could slow down the recruitment process when not at war but keep it at the current speed in times of conflict?

We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment - and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
— Flemeth

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
post #46 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 04:04 PM

Maybe to force nation cooperation to increase military threat, and support the die of standing against the Shadow? cause it seems like that might be a good way to force cooperation
post #47 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 05:02 PM

Yru0's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaire View Post
I know that you're the gm and this is your rp but I can't understand why nations wouldn't recruit more troops in times of peace. Maybe you could slow down the recruitment process when not at war but keep it at the current speed in times of conflict?
I see where you're coming from Santaire, but one prob I foresee is the different 'elite-itudeness' of the different army types. For example, 200 'For King and Country!' are laughably superior to 200 'Grab Yer Pitchforks!' so in the same amount of time one army can be drastically more powerful than the other.

Actually, re-reading that that point has nothing to do with what you just said :3 but it still holds valid! Although I do still get what Romero is trying to avoid. Romero, perhaps introduce some kind of limiter? So different circumstances result in different rates of recruitment?

ie; during war time conscription allows for a 100% rate of army recruitment, which is also possible whilst replenishing losses to beginning-of-game military numbers. However, if your army reaches its beginning point (I'm going to use the 100,000 of 'For King and Country!' as an example) then this rate steadily declines, signifying increased logistical costs of maintaining an expanded force and finding enough citizens willing to join the army. Say if your army is 150% of it's starting 'cap' then recruitment drops to 75% (or 50%?) and at the 200% milestone drops even further to 50% (or 25%?) etc eventually reaching a point perhaps where the player has such a large army an IC event could dictate how their army expands in future. (Kinda going off on a tangent here!) Say, perhaps they can continue to expand but only through conscription, which has the consequence of both reducing happiness amongst the population and the effectiveness of the new troops, or maybe they can expand their army further but a 'cap' is introduced based on the number of provinces they own, or even an option to expand but at the cost of increased aggression from NPC neighbours and even the spectre of an NPC coalition against them? (Just rambling, no need to listen to any of this ;) ).

Anyway, just throwing this out there!

Chaos Marine - "Where's your god Emperor now!?"
Loyal Astartes - "Right Behind you...."
Chaos Marine - *Turns around*
Chuck Norris with a Powerfist - "FALCON PUNCH!"
post #48 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 05:52 PM
Reaper of Souls

Santaire's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yru0 View Post
I see where you're coming from Santaire, but one prob I foresee is the different 'elite-itudeness' of the different army types. For example, 200 'For King and Country!' are laughably superior to 200 'Grab Yer Pitchforks!' so in the same amount of time one army can be drastically more powerful than the other.

Actually, re-reading that that point has nothing to do with what you just said :3 but it still holds valid! Although I do still get what Romero is trying to avoid. Romero, perhaps introduce some kind of limiter? So different circumstances result in different rates of recruitment?

ie; during war time conscription allows for a 100% rate of army recruitment, which is also possible whilst replenishing losses to beginning-of-game military numbers. However, if your army reaches its beginning point (I'm going to use the 100,000 of 'For King and Country!' as an example) then this rate steadily declines, signifying increased logistical costs of maintaining an expanded force and finding enough citizens willing to join the army. Say if your army is 150% of it's starting 'cap' then recruitment drops to 75% (or 50%?) and at the 200% milestone drops even further to 50% (or 25%?) etc eventually reaching a point perhaps where the player has such a large army an IC event could dictate how their army expands in future. (Kinda going off on a tangent here!) Say, perhaps they can continue to expand but only through conscription, which has the consequence of both reducing happiness amongst the population and the effectiveness of the new troops, or maybe they can expand their army further but a 'cap' is introduced based on the number of provinces they own, or even an option to expand but at the cost of increased aggression from NPC neighbours and even the spectre of an NPC coalition against them? (Just rambling, no need to listen to any of this ;) ).

Anyway, just throwing this out there!
Exactly what I was thinking, though in far more detail.

We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment - and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
— Flemeth

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
post #49 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

Thanks for the feedback from you all. It is really appreciated and you bring up some really good points.

Looking back I agree that saying no nation could recruit troops, only replace, was pretty stupid. But then the question is, how to control the army growth?

Yru0, you bring up some really great ideas there, although I am leaning away from using percentages as it adds an overly complicated layer to the game mechanics, in my opinion anyway.

My current idea is to keep the rate of training, so 1000 elite. trained troops in two turns or 5000 conscripts in one turn. And navy it will be 100 Ironclad's in two turns or 100 ships/transports in one turn. Now I am planning to tie the amount of provinces under your control into this 'equation' although I am not yet sure whether this will effect the time it takes to train, the amount you can train or even both. Any preferences on this would be great.

A really good point was brought up in saying that, if you largely surpassed your original army cap, then the game itself would react to this, whether it is increased attention from the shadow or the hostility of surrounding NPC nations. I am defiantly interested in using this and am considering that reaching double your original army size would begin serious problems.

I will go back and incorporate these changes into the rules now, allowing you guys to read over them at your leisure and see if they are better or if they can be futher improved.

EDIT: The rules have now been altered according to the new ideas and suggestions.

In other news, a map should be up by Monday, marking the beginning of the RP early in March.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by Romero's Own; 02-27-13 at 08:17 PM.
post #50 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 09:50 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

Fo'shizzle. Stuff's about to go down. It is fine for nations to not be all-out conquering, more interested in self-defense and learning? i.e. would it be fine for me to act passively until threats begin to appear?

On the army recruitment thing, I would make it so that you can recruit, say, 10%+250 troops per turn of the number you have missing from your starting total. So if you were to lose 1000 troops, you could train 350 one turn, 315 the next, and so on. Slows growth. I agree though, it must be hard to find the balance between good rules and simple rules.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode