Only war (interest?) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-12, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

Default Only war (interest?)

Hey heretics for christmas i got the core rulebook for Only War the imperial guard roleplaying game and as i really badly want to use it and the only person in my local area who likes warhammer is Romero and he's away allot i was wondering if anyone was interested in playing a game using the mechanics in only war but writing over heresy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

surprised no one has written interest as i thought that imperial guard rps were something people waned more of and with the mechanics are in the book it would take stress off the gm.

Quote:
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 11:53 AM

DasOmen's Flag is: USA

it could also be that either A no one is awake yet, or B, much of our forum members are recovering from hangovers.

as for who's up for a game of only war via this? heh count me in friend, i've got the core book as well. though picked it up myself along with the iron kingdoms core book and a few expansion books. so yeah man, i'm game.

for those of our members who dont have it though, recomend compiling a list of classes to choose from, what regiments you're allowing (allowing customs for your first game is bad, IE you have me here i'll try and do something crazy like i always do) because with only war, it's sorta like the old patchwork company rp here on the forms, but we need a little more direction. i recomend a group that isn't excessive hardasses and can still have a bit of life to em. for this notion, i know i'm going to get flogged for saying it, but i recomend setting the death korps of krieg to the black list for this rp.

THIS IS NOT ME SAYING I DONT LIKE KRIEG! i run a krieg army for peet sake (just got a new set of tanks for them on christmass so i'm jazzed...) it's more from an rp sake. they're clones, of clones, of clones, of nazis, of clones of ... ok the nazi thing was a bit much but still. given the stigma around them i dont think the kriegers would work as well as some of the others.

per book for those who dont know the choices in book are as follows

Cadian Shock troops AKA your standard grunts that we all know and love that speak a bit of cockney'

Catachan AKA Rambo with his knife

Death korps AKA mass produced clones

Elysian Drop Troops AKA Paratroopers with spiffy psudo jetpacks that arent realy jetpacks

Maccabian aka.... ok i got no clew i'm not familiar with them in the least. i've got a match coming up against them, thinking on running my gretchen bomber army on those lads, but it looks like heavy armor zelots, more than the standard trooper even. from the regiment rules area it looks like they're prone to unessassary risks in the name of the emperor.

Mordian Iron Guard AKA.... i almost want to say turrians, but im not so sure that's a stick up their ass as a las rifle. these guys are sticklers for rules formm what i'm seeing and are bread from an aristocracy, not a bad thing mind you. oh yeah they're all on drugs... litearly in their doctrine, they use combat drugs to make them more psyco

Tallarn Desert Raiders AKA avoiding joke about towels and instead refering to more guerrilla style combat as well as long range infantry

Vostroyan Firstborn AKA REALY FNARKING ANGRY RUSSIAN LUMBERJACKS!

ok here's the offical bit

Cadian Shock Troops:
homeworld: Fortress
Commanding officer: Fixed
Regiment Type: Mechanised Infantry
Doctrines: close order drill, iron dicipline
total cost 12 points
favored weapons: autocannon, grenade launcher
Hated Enemy IE they get pissy around chaos

Catachan
homeworld: deathworld
commanding officer: maverick (they dont like them)
Regiment Type: light infantry
Doctrines:survivalists (jungle, gee i wonder where they get that from)
total cost 11 points
favored weapon: Flamer, heavy bolter, THRONE DAMNED KNIFE
not people people... IE they have issues with non catachan

Death Korps of Krieg
homeworld Penient
commanding officer: phlegmatic
regiment type Siege infantry
doctrines: die hard, iron discipline
total cost 12 points
favored weapon heavy bolter, meltagun
psycological concerns.... they want to die more than once to put it simply

Elysian Drop Troops
homeworld imperial world
commanding officer sanguine
regiment type drop infantry
doctrines iron discipline, demolitions
total cost 12 points
favored weapon, heavy bolter, plasma gun
affraid of forbidden lore, and they take after a TV show host who's also a walrus, IE when in doubt, C4, in game they suffer a -5 to forbidden lore and a +10 to obtain more grenades, missiles, explosives, and special tank ammo. it's like the requisition officer WANTS them to blow shit up.

Maccabian Janissaries
home world penitent
commanding officer bilious
regiment type line infantry
doctrines close order drill, hardend fighters
total cost 11 points
favored weapons las cannons, plasma gun
they like krieg want to die more htan once, AND their psyco ammounts of zeal make them take unessassary risks

Mordian Iron Guard
homeworld hive world
commanding officer phlegmatic
regiment type armored regiment
doctorines close order drill, combat drugs
total cost 12 points
favored weapons grenade launcher, las cannon.
these ladies and gentlemen arent fond of anything remotely not a hive world. in the book they actualy suffer a -10 (which is a large hit) to literaly anything survival based if they're not in a hive city.

tallarn desert raiders
homeworld death world
commanding officer circumspect
regiment type light infantry
doctrines sharp shooters
total cost 11 points
favored weapons missile launcher, plasma gun
for the most part they have the same penalty biting them in the ass as the catachan, IE not too good in public. though they have a double whammy of a -10 on interaction tests in formal areas AND with anyone who isnt a tallarn. that stacks up to a -20 (ie you dont crit suceed, you auto fail)

vostroyan firstborn
homeworld imperial world
commanding officer choleric
regiment type line infantry
doctrines hardend fighters, shapr shooters
total cost 11 points
favored weapons long las heavy bolter
like the drop troops, they're a tad thick when it comes to forbidden lore. unliek them however they dont have a fetish for high explosive devices, instead it's realy tall fur hats.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender. for it is better to burn out than fade away.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 11:56 AM

I would be interested but don't get the rant above me?

Matt Ward declared death pit on the Eldar god Khaine. To celebrate his victory he held the most awesome party ever and all the Eldar were invited. The intense pleasure from the orgy with him spawned Slannesh, created the Eye of Terror and destroyed the Eldar empire. Their last words were, "worth it."
So spread the word, and beware of Matt Ward for he can Death Pit at any time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

ye dasomen ive been reading it over non stop and I'm still finding out new things like the armoury has more options than if call of duty included space marine captains.

Quote:

Eldrad Ulthran:

inquisitor czevak:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 12:11 PM

DasOmen's Flag is: USA

i do apologies if my post above seemed like a rant, it was more me advizing against krieg (love my new tanks by the way) as well as showing the book descriptons and brief snipits of the regiments. it's meant to more inform than rant. in my own personal way of course.... you know, spelling errors, horrid humor, the like.

personaly i'm leaning towards elysian, cadian, or vostroyan, but that's just me.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender. for it is better to burn out than fade away.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Ye for imperial guard my favourite regiments are the Elysian drop troopers and the tall arm desert raiders

Quote:

Eldrad Ulthran:

inquisitor czevak:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 03:07 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I am interested... I like IG - but I have no idea wtf that game is so not sure how that would work.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 03:32 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm in a similar situation as JAMOB, it's something I'd like to do but I don't know the second thing about the fantasy flight game systems.

I really like the sound of the elysian Walrus TV show host. Sounds like my kind of guy

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

if we were to do an rp on i we would either have to do masses of writing to show the different options for players or we dull it down so it similar to a standard rp but still keeps its origins from the book just so that the people without the rulebook can still take part.

Quote:

Eldrad Ulthran:

inquisitor czevak:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode