The Trail of Bones - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Default The Trail of Bones

For ten thousand years the Emperor of Man has sat immobile on the golden throne; holding back a tidal wave of death and destruction while acting as a guiding beacon to His distant Imperium. In the wake of this, an organization was created to safeguard man from the alien, the daemon, and the heretic both within and without. Each member of this group is bestowed with the authority to command armies and condemn worlds, as though the Emperor himself were doing these things. These individuals make up the Imperium's inquisition; men and women who fight some of the greatest enemies of man, not with bolter and sword, but instead from the shadows with whatever they can or must.

Segmentum Ultima is the most expansive of mankinds territory, easily equating to half of the Imperium in size. At its far fringe is the realm of Ultramar, empire of the Ultramarines. Ultima is also home to an emerging species known as the Tau; aliens that were marked for extermination but saved by warp storms that cut them off from man. Little is known about the Tau, but what was known of them now, and what has been rumoured since the abating of the storms is most troubling.

From primitive savages to space fairing beings, ones who possess not one world but several. It falls to the vast imperial bureaucracy to deal with these creatures, but not without the Inquisition getting involved in their own ways.

Inquisitor Lucien Kayn of the Ordo Xenos had, until recently, been investigating signs of a pro-xenos terrorist group operating in the Ollidan system. However, Kayn has gone missing, with only a vague message detailing the possibility of greater forces at work giving any credence to the notion that Kayn has not just gone silent to better his work. This is to be where you come into play.

Hello everybody, and welcome to The Trail of Bones. This is an inquisition based RP, in that the players will be members of the retinue of inquisitor Erismis Gabrien; a radical member, though respected, member of the Ordo Xenos.

Lets get started with the rules of this one:
  • Looking for a minimum of twelve sentences per action thread post in this one; and as always we are talking decent length sentences.
  • Character death is entirely possible during the course of this, so be wary of the potential consequences of your actions. Sometimes there is no other way but to risk it all, but other times there may be a better way (and if you eventually get it in your head that you are the one who should be calling all of the shots, plot-wise, then you may quickly find your characters life at an end.)
  • Post once per update, post one hundred times per update; I am fine with what you choose to do as long as you are able to follow the other rules and can maintain the post minimum each time.
  • Collaborated posts are both allowed and encouraged. This is when you and another, or others, collaborate in some way, shape, or form and your posts share things. (An example of this would be two characters holding a conversation, or one character covering another in a firefight.)
  • Give me a heads up if you are not going to be able to post for a time (maybe something major has happened in real life or your experiencing writers block and need some time or inspiration.) All I need is something like “shits hitting the fan at home, won’t be able to post for a while”, this keeps me from holding things back for others while giving me some indication that there is something else on your plate at this time.
  • As the GM my say is final; I will [generally] not hesitate to say no or do something the way I think it should be done. If something does not make sense to you, or you have a problem with something, than feel free to comment on it in the recruitment thread. No whinging though, PM that to me so no one has to look like a child.
  • No god modding; as GM I am the one running this show, so deciding whats going to happen is my call. The players and their characters will shape how certain events come about, and where the story goes. But you will not be taking control of another player character without their say-so, and you will not be altering the plot because you are bored or it suits your ‘needs’ (like generating enemies during a less active section of the story, so you can get into a fight.)
With that out of the way, would probably be good to move onto the characters:

Firstly, for Trail of Bones I am looking for a player group of between six and ten.

Secondly, and this is not set in stone yet, this may become a closed recruitment. Closed recruitment, as I define it, is that no new characters can be added once the action thread begins. Once a character dies, that’s it for his controlling player. Open recruitment, conversely, is when it is possible for others to join after the fact, or for players to come back in if their characters die.

The style of recruitment is undecided at this time, because I have never been a fan of closed recruitment (my Space Wolf RP’s are open recruitment up until a point, in which there is not enough plot left for you to make a character and get enough development done in order for it to be worth it.)

As for the characters themselves, there will be a number of classes for you to choose from who are broken down into a number of categories (mostly for my convenience.) Mind you, these categories are a tad general and there is a chance for overlap in certain things.

The Warrior: [Maximum of three characters from this category allowed]
Acolyte*
Ex-guardsman
Mercenary
Arbites
Ganger
Battle Sister*
Pit-fighter
Pilot*
Assassin**
Eldar Corsair**
Kroot Mercenary**

The Savant: [Maximum of three characters from this category allowed]
Lexmechanic
Sister Diologus*
Archeologist/Xenologist
Historian

The Mystic: [Up to two characters]
Navigator*
Astropath*

The Healer: [One character
Medic**
Sister Hospitaller**

The Eclessiarchy: [One character]
Priest**
Fanatic**
Abbot**

* Only one character of that class is permitted
**Only one character of those classes are permitted in that given category

And here is the character sheet for anyone wishing to play to go through:
Name:
Personality:
-Quirk [A habit or behaviour that everyone has, perhaps brought on by stress or irritation. Whats yours?]
-Fear [No matter who you are, or what you do, in the end we all have something that we fear deep down. What is your greatest fear?]
-Secret [No matter how noble, how righteous we are, there is always something that we do not want know. What are you hiding and to what lengths would you go to hide it?]
Background:
Time of service: (How long have you worked with/for inquisitor Gabrien)

You will notice that there is nothing for equipment or weapons. That is because each class has access to different gear and abilities. As such, you will find a list of those below.

-You will notice that some options are separated by a '/'; these represent one or the other options.
-Some characters have primary and secondary equipment sections. These represent things you will generally always have on your person, or heavy gear that may not be right for every single operation. Characters will always have their primary equipment available to them, but auxiliary equipment is only usable when noted as such (and there will indeed be times when you get to use it so don't worry.)
-Several classes have an abilities section; many of these are passive abilities that may have an impact on that characters update or what they might discover or do. Some abilities, like the pit-fighters ability to ignore or use pain as a fuel when fighting, are not so passive.

Acolyte

Ex-guard

Mercenary

Arbites

Ganger

Battle Sister

Pit-fighter

Pilot

Assassin

Eldar Corsair

Kroot Mercenary

Lexmechanic

Sister Diologous

Archeo/Xenoligist

Historian

Navigator

Astropath

Medicea

Sister Hospitaller

Priest

Fanatic

Abbot

Just some final notes I would like to leave:

Know what your getting into by joining up. I have seen dozens of RP’s start off strong, and then die out because players became bored and decided to fuck off without a word. I make no illusion of the fact that I have little more than contempt for such people and generally will not work with them in the future. This story is not going to be one fight after another, and the updates will not be every three or four days. There is every chance that it will take months, or even in excess of a year, to finish this so please keep that in mind when you are considering joining. ·

Be aware that the time between updates can be a bit long, we are talking in the realm of two or even three weeks. This is because I would rather players take more time and put in quality work, rather than a rush job that adds little or nothing. Rushed work makes it harder for me and the other players to work with your character, because if you’re not making any form of investment in the character than why should we?

Other than that, if you have any questions feel free to PM me; and I look forward to working with you all.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 04:40 PM

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

ill get to work as soon as possible on a corsair as eldar are my favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."

Last edited by son of azurman; 08-31-12 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 04:54 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Based on our earlier conversation I will be tossing a character in. I will take some time to read over the plethora of options and get something up over the next couple of days.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 05:03 PM
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

As promised Darkreever i will get a character up in the next few days.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 05:39 PM

Archaon18's Flag is: England

Just a heads up I will be posting a character of either a Battle Sister or and Astropath (Being a little different). I will post ideas for both. I am new to RPs, but I might also be in an LOTR one, with Serpion8 if he gets his act together.
In response to Darkreevers below post I will then make my desicion within a week which one to use, based on other people's

Lasguns- You can never have too little firepower
My Tactics Blog - ChaosTactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
"Hey babe, want me to Power Fist your Pink Horror?"

"Is it ok if my Old One Eye penetrates your Devilfish?"

Last edited by Archaon18; 08-31-12 at 06:28 PM.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 05:48 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon18 View Post
Just a heads up I will be posting a character of either a Battle Sister or and Astropath (Being a little different). I will post ideas for both then Darkreever can decide which one, if any. I am new to RPs, but I might also be in an LOTR one, with Serpion8 if he gets his act together.
If I might suggest mate, take your time and really invest some work in one of those characters. Trying to come up with ideas for both will in all honesty result in both of them being less than they could have been with some focused effort. It isn't really Darkreever's job to choose your character for you. You are the one that needs to decide in what persona you are going to approach the story and environment.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge913 View Post
It isn't really Darkreever's job to choose your character for you. You are the one that needs to decide in what persona you are going to approach the story and environment.
As Midge has been kind enough to point out, choosing which character your going to use is not my job. I reiterate this notiin because if presented with two or more characters I will not choose. I will make comments on all of the characters as I see fit, but it will come down to each of you to choose which character your playing.

As many of you may know by now, since I make no secret of it, there is no reserving of characters in this RP and as GM the final call is mine to make.

What I mean by that is; right now Son of Azurman has expressed interest in the Corsair and Lord Ramo is interested in the Assassin. Those are limited classes, the group can only have one assassin or corsair. Some GM's might take the first of these characters, but I am looking for quality. Its why you have over twenty classes to choose from, its why updates may be a week ir two apart, and its why the post minimum is as high as it is.

So its not the first character that gets in, but the one I like the most; the one that shows the effort. And believe me, it will be easier for you then me, since I have to choose.

Also, as I type this I am about to board a plane and am bound for Texas for this weekend. I will not be accepting or denying characters until some time Tuesday.

I will help players with characters, but thats about the extent of it at thiz time.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Last edited by darkreever; 08-31-12 at 06:23 PM.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 06:36 PM

Jackinator's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok, there's no way I can pass this up, I'm a massive fan of the Ravenor and Eisenhorn series and I've been waiting for a decent Inquistor RP for a long time. I really shouldn't join this, but an RP on another site has just died from lack of GM so I reckon I'll give it a shot. Still debating between a couple of characters, but I should have one up fairly soon, I only have half as many shifts next week cause I'm heading to Uni soon so some late nights should be fine :D

post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 06:40 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Name: Kreshk

Appearance: Kreshk appears like any other Kroot, taller than most unaugmented humans and far skinnier, avian in nature with a bright plume of multi-coloured quills emerging from the back of his head, his skin is a mottled grey with streaks of faint red across his chest and legs. His eyes are a bright blue, almost startlingly so, and he is slightly taller and bulkier than most Kroot, though still thin when compared to a human of any real bulk. Due to Kroot physiology and DNA recombination this is because of his prior eating habits, which considering his appearance can only mean that at some point he has eaten the flesh of a Space Marine, enough to alter his appearance. Kreshk wears harnesses and straps that allow him to sling all of his weapons onto his body with plenty of room for more, several skulls of various species hang from his belt with at least two of them belonging to humans. He keeps his rifle slung across his back and his knives holstered at his sides and his calves.

Personality: Kreshk is eager to fight all the time, often looking for the violent solution to a problem or if there is no violent solution, creating one anyway. He deeply enjoys the antipathy showed to him by humans due to the irony that he works for one whom could kill them in a second if he chose to. He does not care even remotely about whom he works for, and bears no loyalty to his race or their clients in the Tau Empire. He seems to bear a particular dislike of the Tau above every other species he dislikes, which is all of them, though it is unknown to his fellow agents as to why. One of Kreshk's favourite past-times is pushing the buttons of the humans he works alongside, confident that very few will actually try to do anything about him and he is confident he could kill those who would dare. Strangely enough he seems to have a slight respect for Inquisitor Gabrien though as to why this is he keeps to himself. Despite his antipathy towards his race he does keep with many of their traditions, including devouring the flesh of any true warriors he bests in combat, though he does it more to gain strength rather than to honour them, and views with amusement the disgust that humans show towards this practice.

Kreshk has a habit of clicking and squawking when he is angry or annoyed more so than usual, this tends to happen when he goes for more than a day or two without hitting something. His only real fear is being taken back to the Kroot homeworld of Pech, and for what they will do to him if he is ever taken by any Kroot warband loyal to the homeworld, though he has never specified exactly what would happen to him if it makes the near fearless Kroot scared, it is likely something even an Inquisitor would be sickened by. Kreshk keeps one secret from the warband, not out of any shame, but because he is sure they would kill him if they ever learned that for a brief time he served in a warband that scouted for a Chaos Lord of the Steel Brotherhood, and helped kill an Inquisitor and his retinue during the battle for Argus IV.

Equipment: Hunting Knives, Kroot Rifle

Abilities: Keen Senses (The Kroot are born predators, taking on some of the most deadly prey. Hunting is their life, and so their very bodies adapt to the task.)

Background: Kreshk was born on a War-sphere that orbited Pech into a kindred of Bold Hunters. Like all Kroot he was raised to be a Warrior and in his 25 years of life in the kindred he has fought many enemies ranging from the Imperial Guard, Demiurg mining vessels, Hrud Hives which he claims are responsible for his skin having turned grey prematurely, Eldar Corsairs, Chaos Cults and even once against the Genesis Chapter of the Space Marines. It is likely that he devoured a Space Marine during that battle which would explain his bulkier body shape when compared to other Kroot.

He however eventually abandoned his warband when he refused to swear loyalty to the Tau or their so-called 'Greater Good', and insulted his kindred for joining with such a weak-willed species and for being so quick to pledge alliegience to them just because they supported the defense of Pech against the Orks, after which he was no longer welcome on Pech. By this time Kreshk had stopped caring, having seen his people swear themselves to a cult race that would curb their warrior instincts and expect them to be grateful for it and who called them savages so arrogantly.

For thirty years he roamed the neighbouring sector, selling his services as a mercenary, assassin, bounty hunter or bodyguard, whatever was required. He fought for the Imperial Governor of Camar Primus in the 9th Secession Wars; assassinated several Arbites Judges for a ganger-lord in the slums of Taranis; trained the household guard of House Unvin and helped them suppress several merchant riots; spent two years bodyguarding the corpulent Lord Arshmen before his heart gave out; and at one point he worked for a corrupt Ecclesiarchal cardinal and eliminated several unorthodox preachers that spoke against the cardinal, something he greatly enjoys telling humans.

Time of service: Kreshk has spent ten years working for Inquisitor Gabrien. The two met when both of them tracked down a noted heretic of the Copperhead Cult, Gabrien for information on a larger network, and Kreshk for the bounty on his head. Kreshk got there first and had already killed and taken the heretic's head, but decided to strike a deal with Gabrien. He had extracted the location of the cultist's main base and would share it with him provided that when he stormed it, Kreshk could come with him. Gabrien agreed when it became apparant he could not force Kreshk to reveal the base. The two stormed the base together and wiped out the entire cult, Kreshk killing the Sorcerer that led the cult with a knife from across the room before he could begin an incantation. Impressed with Kreshk's strength Gabrien offered the veteran Kroot a place in his retinue, which Kreshk accepted provided there would be much more violence in his future.

Anything needs changing, let me know. Hope I get in.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 09-04-12 at 08:44 PM.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 06:41 PM

Archaon18's Flag is: England

Quote:
Battle Sisiter
Name: Miranda Odon
Appearance: 1.72m in height, with ear-length red hair. Pale skin that it quite smooth with very few blemishes. Standard figure for an Adeptus Soroitis. Nose is bent from being broken but otherwise her features are unchanged. Sparkling hazel eyes would be atractive on anyone but a Battle Sister. She has an aura of menace about her, despite the fact when she is armour less she looks like a beautiful. She also has a deeply troubled feel to her, often making people around her uneasy, which is probably due to her awkward upbringing and stance in society.
Personality:
- Quirk:slightly ADHD, very energetic, even in excess of what is to be expected
- Fear: Anything with eight legs. She also detests the Greenskins because he family was slaughtered but them.
- Secret: She is troubled by daemon-haunted nightmares
- General: Quite jokey sort of person who often under-values the seriousness of situations, often leading to discrepancies. She is divorced from many of the people she protects, as she has no experience of romance or anything 'normal' people go through.
Background: raised in a Ecclesiarch orphanage, which sent her to the OotSR when she was old enough, so she has a vervet love for the emperor. as mentioned before she was sent there after her family home was overrun and her parents slaughtered, till the Astartes came and rescued her. This happened when she was 2.
Since then she has taken part in many campaigns with the Battle Sisters, including an ill-fated campaign againts a renegade planet. An Agri-world called Keros on the Eastern Fringe that had recently declared itself independent from the Emperors Divine light. A small force of around 200 Adeptus Sororitis were sent along with a contingent from the Imperial Army, which consisted of a few tanks, a single Baneblade, and an Infantry regiment.
The Initial campaign went well, the Battle Sister sweeping past the initial resistance, with Miranda carrying a boltgun and Shock Maul in one of the lead squads, killing many Cultists without a single casualty. When they got to the largest city on the main continent, Keros Prime, a warp portal opened and many Daemonettes poured out of the city and killed many of her sisters before proper resistance could be mounted. One of the dead included her Flamer bearer. Not wishing the weapon to go to waste she discarded her Bolter and picked up the flamer.
She linked up with 3 of her Battle-sisters and they took cover from the Daemonic assualt in a shell hole caused by the light artillery bombardment. The minions of Slaanesh came thick and fast, very very fast, but they were no match for the divine wrath of her flamer, it's lick leaving charred corpses in its wake as it scoured the warpspawn from anywhere the came.
As the last of the daemons fell she voxed command and was told to advance into the city to cleanse the filth. She hauled herself out of the shell-hole, cursing her awful luck at such a task. On the way she and her 2 sisters linked up with a band of 5-6 Battle Sisters, 2 from her squad. All order had vanished for the time being - The daemonic assualt had cost them all dearly. As they advanced, no resistance was offered. It was an all out assualt, but she knew there had to be defenders.
The promethium in her flamer was running very low, so she reluctantly switchted it for a Boltgun. Eventually the squad made it to the city, and forced their way in. Their training proved itself again and again as ambushes hit the squad, but with Bolter and sword they cleansed the Cultists and Mutants. As the day wore on 3 sisters lay dead, the almost constant ambushes taking their toll.
When it came to night they pressed on, ever wary of an attack. Miranda lead her Sisters, as none of the others could face command. She was always making sure her squad were ready, although they were running short of ammunition.
As they walked through the city, systematically clearing every building along their root Miranda heard a voice through the vox 'Stop advancing and get the hell out of there!. It was the distiinctive voice of an Inquisitor. Without hesitation she signalled to her squad and they began to run back towards an exit. One was not far of and they made it out in less than an hour.

Time of Service: A few months

Equpiment: When the going gets tough she burns her way through the enemy with the Fire of the Emperor, and delights in the deaths of the Emperors enemies

Quote:
Astropath
Name: Astropath Zeta-grade Gabrak
Appearance: Diminuative stature, barely 1.60 in height, with light brown skin, with the usual sunken eye sockets. Wears the standard robes of the order. Face is very flat, almost expressionless.
Personality:
-Quirk: Hates using his powers, and is almost afraid of psykers.
- Fear: The warp. Almost everything about it scares him, Daemons, everything. His only solace is his method of blocking them out - connecting himself to reality by self harm.
- Secret: Self harm. (If this is inappropriate I can always change it.)
Background: Raised on a hive world, in one for he richer parts of town but was cast off from his family after they discovered his gift. He lived rough, trodden upon for his early twenties before the Black Ships came to take him to his new life, which he hated the sound of because of his hatred of his gifts, caused by his upbringing. He then followed the same procedure as other Astropaths.
Service: His entire life after becoming an Astropath was dedicated the Inquisitor Kayn, until his untimely disappearance. He was taken in but refuses to give information, as he was brutally taught to just report, not to remember or anything that actually turned out useful in the end.
500 Posts!

Lasguns- You can never have too little firepower
My Tactics Blog - ChaosTactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
"Hey babe, want me to Power Fist your Pink Horror?"

"Is it ok if my Old One Eye penetrates your Devilfish?"

Last edited by Archaon18; 09-03-12 at 06:04 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode