For ten thousand years the Emperor of Man has sat immobile on the golden throne; holding back a tidal wave of death and destruction while acting as a guiding beacon to His distant Imperium. In the wake of this, an organization was created to safeguard man from the alien, the daemon, and the heretic both within and without. Each member of this group is bestowed with the authority to command armies and condemn worlds, as though the Emperor himself were doing these things. These individuals make up the Imperium's inquisition; men and women who fight some of the greatest enemies of man, not with bolter and sword, but instead from the shadows with whatever they can or must.
Segmentum Ultima is the most expansive of mankinds territory, easily equating to half of the Imperium in size. At its far fringe is the realm of Ultramar, empire of the Ultramarines. Ultima is also home to an emerging species known as the Tau; aliens that were marked for extermination but saved by warp storms that cut them off from man. Little is known about the Tau, but what was known of them now, and what has been rumoured since the abating of the storms is most troubling.
From primitive savages to space fairing beings, ones who possess not one world but several. It falls to the vast imperial bureaucracy to deal with these creatures, but not without the Inquisition getting involved in their own ways.
Inquisitor Lucien Kayn of the Ordo Xenos had, until recently, been investigating signs of a pro-xenos terrorist group operating in the Ollidan system. However, Kayn has gone missing, with only a vague message detailing the possibility of greater forces at work giving any credence to the notion that Kayn has not just gone silent to better his work. This is to be where you come into play.
Hello everybody, and welcome to The Trail of Bones. This is an inquisition based RP, in that the players will be members of the retinue of inquisitor Erismis Gabrien; a radical member, though respected, member of the Ordo Xenos.
Lets get started with the rules
of this one:
- Looking for a minimum of twelve sentences per action thread post in this one; and as always we are talking decent length sentences.
- Character death is entirely possible during the course of this, so be wary of the potential consequences of your actions. Sometimes there is no other way but to risk it all, but other times there may be a better way (and if you eventually get it in your head that you are the one who should be calling all of the shots, plot-wise, then you may quickly find your characters life at an end.)
- Post once per update, post one hundred times per update; I am fine with what you choose to do as long as you are able to follow the other rules and can maintain the post minimum each time.
- Collaborated posts are both allowed and encouraged. This is when you and another, or others, collaborate in some way, shape, or form and your posts share things. (An example of this would be two characters holding a conversation, or one character covering another in a firefight.)
- Give me a heads up if you are not going to be able to post for a time (maybe something major has happened in real life or your experiencing writers block and need some time or inspiration.) All I need is something like “shits hitting the fan at home, won’t be able to post for a while”, this keeps me from holding things back for others while giving me some indication that there is something else on your plate at this time.
- As the GM my say is final; I will [generally] not hesitate to say no or do something the way I think it should be done. If something does not make sense to you, or you have a problem with something, than feel free to comment on it in the recruitment thread. No whinging though, PM that to me so no one has to look like a child.
- No god modding; as GM I am the one running this show, so deciding whats going to happen is my call. The players and their characters will shape how certain events come about, and where the story goes. But you will not be taking control of another player character without their say-so, and you will not be altering the plot because you are bored or it suits your ‘needs’ (like generating enemies during a less active section of the story, so you can get into a fight.)
With that out of the way, would probably be good to move onto the characters
Firstly, for Trail of Bones I am looking for a player group of between six and ten.
Secondly, and this is not set in stone yet, this may become a closed recruitment. Closed recruitment, as I define it, is that no new characters can be added once the action thread begins. Once a character dies, that’s it for his controlling player. Open recruitment, conversely, is when it is possible for others to join after the fact, or for players to come back in if their characters die.
The style of recruitment is undecided at this time, because I have never been a fan of closed recruitment (my Space Wolf RP’s are open recruitment up until a point, in which there is not enough plot left for you to make a character and get enough development done in order for it to be worth it.)
As for the characters themselves, there will be a number of classes for you to choose from who are broken down into a number of categories (mostly for my convenience.) Mind you, these categories are a tad general and there is a chance for overlap in certain things.
The Warrior: [Maximum of three characters from this category allowed]
The Savant: [Maximum of three characters from this category allowed]
The Mystic: [Up to two characters]
The Healer: [One character
The Eclessiarchy: [One character]
* Only one character of that class is permitted
**Only one character of those classes are permitted in that given category
And here is the character sheet
for anyone wishing to play to go through:
-Quirk [A habit or behaviour that everyone has, perhaps brought on by stress or irritation. Whats yours?]
-Fear [No matter who you are, or what you do, in the end we all have something that we fear deep down. What is your greatest fear?]
-Secret [No matter how noble, how righteous we are, there is always something that we do not want know. What are you hiding and to what lengths would you go to hide it?]
Time of service: (How long have you worked with/for inquisitor Gabrien)
You will notice that there is nothing for equipment or weapons. That is because each class has access to different gear and abilities. As such, you will find a list of those below.
-You will notice that some options are separated by a '/'; these represent one or the other options.
-Some characters have primary and secondary equipment sections. These represent things you will generally always have on your person, or heavy gear that may not be right for every single operation. Characters will always have their primary equipment available to them, but auxiliary equipment is only usable when noted as such (and there will indeed be times when you get to use it so don't worry.)
-Several classes have an abilities section; many of these are passive abilities that may have an impact on that characters update or what they might discover or do. Some abilities, like the pit-fighters ability to ignore or use pain as a fuel when fighting, are not so passive.
Just some final notes I would like to leave:
Know what your getting into by joining up. I have seen dozens of RP’s start off strong, and then die out because players became bored and decided to fuck off without a word. I make no illusion of the fact that I have little more than contempt for such people and generally will not work with them in the future. This story is not going to be one fight after another, and the updates will not be every three or four days. There is every chance that it will take months, or even in excess of a year, to finish this so please keep that in mind when you are considering joining. ·
Be aware that the time between updates can be a bit long, we are talking in the realm of two or even three weeks. This is because I would rather players take more time and put in quality work, rather than a rush job that adds little or nothing. Rushed work makes it harder for me and the other players to work with your character, because if you’re not making any form of investment in the character than why should we?
Other than that, if you have any questions feel free to PM me; and I look forward to working with you all.