[Raven Guard Roleplay] The Barbastan Crusade - Behind Enemy Lines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default [Raven Guard Roleplay] The Barbastan Crusade - Behind Enemy Lines

No Longer Accepting Characters!

Quote:
Last updated 14:08pm, 12 June 2012.

Reason: character acception.

"Victorus Aut Mortis"
~Warcry of the Raven Guard

Hello and welcome to my latest Roleplay. As it turned out, I didn't need much convincing with the Interest Check thread which I posted yesterday, but I've decided to go with the second option. For those who didn't see the Interest Check Thread, here's a quick summary as to what you'll be doing if you participate in this Roleplay:

The Barbastan Crusade

During the 41st Mellenium, the Barbastan Worlds have come under attack by a large alliance of Chaos Forces lead by the infamous Tyrant of Badab himself, the ruthless former Astral Claw Huron Blackheart and his armada of renegade Chaos forces. These forces are intent on laying waste to the Barbastan Worlds, and in response, a group of Space Marine Chapters, and several Imperial Guard Regiments, have dispatched forces to stop Huron Blackheart and his renegades from claiming a large, strategically important area of space.

The Barbastan Worlds are a large area of Space near the Raven Guard's Chapter planet, Deliverance, and if the Barbastan Worlds fall into the hands of the forces of Chaos, they would allow Huron Blackheart and his Red Corsairs a clear shot at the Chapter planet of one of the first original Space Marine Legions, something that the Raven Guard Chapter Master has decreed that this cannot be allowed to stand. Although the Raven Guard are a stubbornly independent Chapter, the Raven Guard 2nd Company, lead by the fearsome Aajz Solari. The Raven Guard were not the only Imperial force that answered the call of the Chapter Master though, and as well as several Imperial Guard Regiments, lead by Warmaster Victon Kai, have come to aid the Raven Guard after the scale of the threat was quickly realised. The Warmaster and his Imperial forces were not the only ones that offered aid for the Raven Guard, who soon found themselves not only allying with Sisters of Battle and warriors from the Adeptus Mechanicus, but also Space Marines from the Salamanders, the Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Silver Skulls and White Scars Chapters.

However, the Imperial forces still found themselves outnumbered by the massive Chaos threat that had come their way, spearheaded by Huron Blackheart's Red Corsairs. This was widely acknowledged as one of the biggest Imperial Campaigns of the latter half of the 41st Mellenium, as it was still ongoing as the Mellenium drew to its end.

We pick up the story in the fifty-fourth year of the Crusade, near the planet of Thorodon Major, where a search and destroy mission has gone horribly wrong, crippling a large potion of the Raven Guard forces and leaving the depleted 1st Assault Squad of the 2nd Company, lead by Sergeant Jerad Korvis, stranded behind enemy lines with no way of getting back to the main Imperial Lines. All contact to the main forces of the Imperium's Crusade severed, the Raven Guard have found themselves near the Chaos Bastion Fort Indomitable, and in order for the Imperial Guard approaching Fort Indomitable to survive, they must cripple the enemy defences without the Red Corsairs detecting them.

Recruitment:

Rules:

In this Roleplay, you will play as part of the six-strong Assault Squad Korvis. There are a few rules you must follow before you take up command of an Adeptus Astartes however, which can be found below:

I. No God modding. This means, you don't suddenly go off on your own and come back the next day having destroyed Fort Indomitable and have news of the location of the Primarch Corax. This also means that you don't kill off fellow members of the Squad, after all - they are your teammates, and you have fought with them for years.

II. Respect your fellow Roleplayers. You know that phrase? Treat others how you wish to be treated yourself? Well, that applies to this roleplay here.

III. I want a reasonably sized entry for your update. I don't want one roleplay update to be the length of the latest A Song of Ice and Fire novel, but nor do I want it to be a one-liner update.

IV. Follow the Character sheet (below) exactly. We don't want a Raven Guard with a Thunderwolf riding about the place.

V. Be committed! I will do my best to update this roleplay weekly and you must do your best to post! If there are Real life issues (such as holiday/vacations, exam preparation or deaths in the family) that cause you to miss an update, then remember to let me know in advance, via a PM or on this thread.

VI. Stay in character in Roleplay threads. We don't want a Raven Guard deciding to become the next Darth Vader or something like that, and developing force-like powers, as much as I think a Space Marine with the Force would be awesome, it's not for this Roleplay.

VII. Have fun! This is the most important Rule, I know it's cheesy, but it's true. If you don't feel like you're enjoying the Roleplay and it becomes too much of a chore for you, let me know how you think it could be improved and I'll take your thoughts into account.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the Character Sheet. I'm accepting six players maximum, and be sure to read other players Character Sheets before you update. We don't want 6 Space Marines with exactly the same weapons, exactly the same backgrounds and exactly the same names running about the place.

Character Sheet:

Name: So, what's your name? Remember, we want a Raven Guard-esque name like Aajz Solari, not a one like Hef Bloodteeth running around the place, I'm afraid. Also, the name must not be one of an already established character in the 40k/Fantasy novels/rulebooks. We don't want several Lokens running about the place.

Age: So, how old are you? Remember, this is a Raven Guard Assault Marine that we're talking about here, so we don't want a 5 year old Astartes, nor a 100000 year old one. Characters should be aged between 60 and 150, the younger the better.

Appearance: What do you look like? Describe your hair colour, eye colour etc. You may also describe your armour in this paragraph.

Personality: Is your character arrogant? Is your character loyal? How about sarcastic? How about calm in the deadliest of situations? Is your character a Ragnar Blackmane, or a Cato Sicarus of the Raven Guard?

Background: How did your character become an Assault Marine? Remember, you're assigned to an Assault Squad after exemplary service in a Devastator Squad, so what deeds did you do in that Devastator Squad to make it into the Assault Squad?

Weapons/Equipment Choices: To start off with in this roleplay, you will have the following Equiqment and Weapons Choices:

A Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Jump Packs, frag and krak grenades.

Helmets are optional but recommended, and you must also state what type of armour your character has. You're limited to anything between and including the Armour Marks IV-VI.

Accepted Characters:

I. Corvane Shaan, played by Romero's Own.
II. Aethon Tev, played by Malochai.
III. Lex Korvus, played by Lord of the Night.
IV. Sciathan Cleite, played by darkreever.
V. Damir Roath, played by Euphrati. *
VI. Alesso Reshi, played by HOGGLORD.

*This user has asked me if he can lower his character's age to 45. I have allowed this, but this will only be allowed once as the sole exception. Expect other characters to have more experience than Damir Roath in this Roleplay.

In this Roleplay, Sergeant Korvis will be played by me.

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 07-16-12 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Interesting looking RP your starting up here, though I do hope that if you wind up doing a sequel you don't split the players to controlling their own forces. So damned boring and hard to control, from what I have seen anyway.

That aside, a few questions and a comment:

-What age range are you looking for? The five to one million thing is funny, but doesn't really help; and given the propensity for some players to make their space marine characters hundreds of years old (because anything short of one hundred is simply not enough or something), I don't think we will need to see six +150 year old marines running around.

-Wargear options are to be first come first serve correct? I'll likely only be interested in the stock gear myself, but to see three or four people all vying for plasma pistols or flamethrowers, or attempting to reserve that gear (which kinda isn't fair to others) seems a tad silly.

-What is the minimum size action thread post your looking for? You say no one liners, but such a thing has long been covered in the rules for this section. (Four sentence minimum remember.) And adding to that, you say no novels but what is to long in your book?

-How many posts per update are you going to be allowing? Is it one and done, or as many as a player wants as long as they hit the post minimum each time?

-What company are we all from and who is leading this Raven Guard strike force/shadow-company? Be kinda strange for some of us to somehow come from different companies after all.

And finally my comment: I do hope you are not planning to make a character sheet for Korvis. Never did see a need for the GM to limit his/her 'leading' character(s). No character sheet for the sergeant would leave it open to you when information is revealed about him to the characters, or if something not revealed really needs to be changed (within reason) then your still free to do so. I know I did it with the pack leader of my own RP, who's past has undergone a number of alterations since initial inception.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:06 PM
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

Name: Corvane Shaan

Appearance: Corvane stands at 6 foot outside his power armour and weighs 250lb. He is as muscular as you would expect of a superhuman soldier. Corvane's skin is a strangly pale. His hair is long and a dark black. His eyes are also black, leaving him looking strange and almost dead. When in his amrour he is a formidible sight. He wears the 'beacked' helmet of the Mark VI armour he so proudly wears. His power armour is decorated simply. The obvious squad and chapter markings stand out on his blaxk armour. He carries a small bundle of frag frenades on his hip which he uses often. He has a cloth, blessed by the chaplain, hanging from his belt. His jumpack is strapped to his back.

Personality: Corvane is calm and slow to anger. he reads situations carfully before endagering himself or his brothers. He is feircly loyal to the Emporer and despises any aliens, espeachily Chaos and Orks. He is freindly and warm, making other marines calm and relaxed. He is never quiet, preffering to talk than brood. He is a strong optimist, even if the goin ggets rpugh. He beleives that the Raven Gaurd can gain strength and thrive even as he grows pale himself. But when battle calls Corvane is always ready.

Background: Corvane was born into a poor minig family upon Deliverance, homeworld of the Raven Gaurd. His father was a miner and his mother stayed at home to look after the young Corvane and his three older sisters. Corvane was always in awe of the hulking soldiers of the Raven Gaurd and often watched them. From a very young age he had set his heart on becoming a Raven Gaurd. He trained himself as best he could, running, lifting weights and reading. And so at the age of 18 he offered himself to the Raven Gaurd.

They saw that he was a possibly great warrior so prepared him and rose him to the rank of Neophyte. But geneseed was scarce for the Raven Gaurd and Corvane had to wait for four years before a small amount of precious geneseed arrived. During that time the large group of Neophytes was cut down to only a small handful, Corvane included. It was just after this shipment of geneseed that Huron Blackheart and his armada of renegade Chaos forces attacked the nearby space intent on laying waste to the Barbastan Worlds. If the Barbastan World were to fall then Huron would have a clear shot at Deliverance itself. This could not be allowed to happen. A great army of Space Marines and Imperial Gaurd was called together and sent to defend the worlds.

Corvane grew up fast and was soon armed with a missile launcher and sent into the cauldron of war that the Barbastan Worlds had become. He fought bravly for one so young and proved his brilliance and great potential in a great battle against an army led by the Tyrant of Badab himself. Corvane's squad was massacred yet somehow Corvane himself survived. He found himself alone and surrounded by enemy forces. But he proved his heart by not running, instead he brethed deeply and lined up a shot at Huron Blackheart. He squeezed the trigger and the missile roared through the air. Huron had not time to react but he was saved by the suicide of one of his Terminator bodygaurds. Corvane turned and retreated back to Imperial lines where his efforts granted him rise to the Assult Squad of Sergeant Korvis. From that day Corvane has sworn he will take Huron's head, even if he dies trying.

Weapons/Equipment:
A Jumpack
Chainsword
Bolt Pistol
Mark VI Helmet
Mark VI Armour
A selection of Grenades

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by Romero's Own; 06-09-12 at 04:18 PM.

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Interesting looking RP your starting up here, though I do hope that if you wind up doing a sequel you don't split the players to controlling their own forces. So damned boring and hard to control, from what I have seen anyway.

Thanks, and I'll bear this in mind. I might do sequels where you follow the adventures of a different Imperial or even Chaos force in the same Crusade.

That aside, a few questions and a comment:

-What age range are you looking for? The five to one million thing is funny, but doesn't really help; and given the propensity for some players to make their space marine characters hundreds of years old (because anything short of one hundred is simply not enough or something), I don't think we will need to see six +150 year old marines running around.

I'll probably change it then to something like 60-150 then.

-Wargear options are to be first come first serve correct? I'll likely only be interested in the stock gear myself, but to see three or four people all vying for plasma pistols or flamethrowers, or attempting to reserve that gear (which kinda isn't fair to others) seems a tad silly.

All players will start off with the suggested choice of equipment but as the Roleplay goes on, there might be a possibility to upgrade to flamethrowers and plasma pistols later in the RP.

-What is the minimum size action thread post your looking for? You say no one liners, but such a thing has long been covered in the rules for this section. (Four sentence minimum remember.) And adding to that, you say no novels but what is to long in your book?

Sorry if I forgot to put that in. Minimum size action thread would be about three decent-sized paragraphs, maximum (although it does not mean you have to go anywhere near this if you don't want to) would be seven or eight.

-How many posts per update are you going to be allowing? Is it one and done, or as many as a player wants as long as they hit the post minimum each time?

Thanks for reminding me. I'll be allowing one post per update unless I decide otherwise.

-What company are we all from and who is leading this Raven Guard strike force/shadow-company? Be kinda strange for some of us to somehow come from different companies after all.

The Raven Guard in this Roleplay are part of the second company, and lead by the first assault squad of the second company, which is under overall command of Aajz Solari. All roleplayers will be part of the Assault Squad, which is under command of Sergeant Korvis.

And finally my comment: I do hope you are not planning to make a character sheet for Korvis. Never did see a need for the GM to limit his/her 'leading' character(s). No character sheet for the sergeant would leave it open to you when information is revealed about him to the characters, or if something not revealed really needs to be changed (within reason) then your still free to do so. I know I did it with the pack leader of my own RP, who's past has undergone a number of alterations since initial inception.

I wasn't planning on making a character sheet for Korvis, and there shouldn't be one for him in this Roleplay.
Thanks for commenting, and answers are in yellow.

Romero's Own: As mentioned above, I'm toning down the age of Assault Marines from anywhere between 60 and 150, the lower the age the better. However, I'm not going to allow you to start off with A pair of Lightning Claws I'm afraid, and not just because they're not available with the Codex options for Assault Marines (the list that I stated above). You may have the option to wield them later in the Roleplay. Other than that, your character is good to go. You're in as long as you do what I've suggested.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:44 PM
Banned

i understand what you are saying. I just thought lightning claws because Ravan Gaurd are famous for using them a lot. Changes made.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:52 PM

Malochai's Flag is: United Kingdom

Name: Aethon Tev

Appearance:

Aethon is tall, standing just over 6’ when not armoured, and despite being more wiry than muscular, he’s as strong as any. He has a scar on his right cheek and short, jet black hair that seems to absorb light, as are his eyes, which appear to glint evilly in the wrong light, and his skin looks tough and is pale - he always seems to have a pale tinge to his skin, regardless of the situation.
His beaked 'Corvus' pattern armour is decorated with a couple of bird skulls; one on his right shoulder and the other on his chest. These are attacked by silver chains. His left shoulder pad has silver studs, and the right shoulder pad is the standard white with the Raven Guard symbol on. His white helm has a red gem in the centre with a small golden laurel coming up from it.

Personality:

Aethon is aloof of mortals, thinking that their role is merely to accommodate him and his peers. He can joke about with his comrades, but has a very sarcastic sense of humour. When he’s fighting, he becomes very serious, and thinks ill of those who fool about or try and compete, rather than attempt to complete the mission as efficiently as possible. His opinion on giving into battle rage is that it’s a foolish thing to do; rather one should direct it and use it to become more deadly and efficient. Whilst he's as loyal to the Imperium and the Emperor, he would rather defy them than place one of his brothers in danger.

Background:

Aethon Tev originates from Deliverance, and since a child looked up to the Raven Guard almost like angels. He was raised to be loyal to the Emperor and follow His laws and Dictates. He knew that the cycle of recruitment wasn’t a common occurrence, and didn’t ever truly believe that he would be chosen. So, when he was, he was awed and determined to prove he was worthy.

Since joining the Raven Guard, he has strived to advance, to perfect the modus operandi of adaptable warfare. His preferred method is using a jump pack in combination with his pistol and chainsword, but is perfectly capable of using a bolter or other weapon should the situation arise.

Weapons/Equipment Choices:

-Bolt Pistol
-Chainsword
-Frag and Krak Grenades
-Jump Pack
-Mk. VI ‘Corvus’ Power Armour

Last edited by Malochai; 06-09-12 at 04:17 PM.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:56 PM
Banned

i hate to point out Malochai but Raven Gaurd are all pale with black hair and black eyes due to their geneseed.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 04:00 PM

Malochai's Flag is: United Kingdom

My bad - Raven Guard are not my forté. Changed!

Last edited by Malochai; 06-09-12 at 04:03 PM.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 04:09 PM
Reaper of Souls

Santaire's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Eventually each Marine's skin becomes pure white while their hair and eyes darken, becoming black as coal.
Raven Guard are pale and have dark hair and eyes but they are not as extreme for young marines as you 2 seem to have it. For example it would probably take at least a century for pure black hair and eyes to the extent you have claimed. Young marines will have dark hair and probably dark eyes as well as paler skin than usual but they will not look dead with pure white skin and pure black hair

We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment - and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
— Flemeth

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Last edited by Santaire; 06-10-12 at 10:46 AM.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero's Own View Post
i understand what you are saying. I just thought lightning claws because Ravan Gaurd are famous for using them a lot. Changes made.
Actually its really only something that Shrike and Ardaric Vaanes are famous for using (in addition to the the playable version of Shrike's wing in the previous codex.) Solari of the second/fifth was noted for his lack of jump pack at times and general use of a bolter; while Korvideae of the eighth wields a thunder hammer.

The Raven Guard excel in the area's of hit-and-run and stealth, but they have always operated under the M.O. of adaptive warfare. Each of the shadow-companies are designed to operate on their own without the need of assistance, and that would mean that should one come up against a situation where a land raider assault is the only option, they can perform it rather than relying on assault squads.

To which I must comment on the alteration for background. While some chapters do put an emphasis on certain roles within the chapter (such as assault marines) because of the style of fighting the Raven Guard use, having all full marines versed in the styles of tactical, assault, and devestator marine would be key to this. (In the end, what I think I'm trying to say here is that having us 'earn' the right to be part of an assault squad in a chapter that favours being able to adapt is pretty strange; and screams more of mundane marines than the specialists that are the Raven Guard.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode