Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Keybearers (Action!)

6K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  Serpion5 
#1 ·
The city of Dauth. Capital of the Arkaran Royalty and their domain, the prime authority on the world of Destora. It was a thriving metropolis, a place on the forefront of technological development and innovation. Vast skyscrapers cloud the view of the ground and sky and the air was often filled with the hum of hovering vehicles.

Yet now, it was silent. The sky had darkened into a night that had lasted the past month, and the lights of the buildings were all but blinked out. Advertisement boards flickered with nothing but static casting shadows of unseen occupants and fading memories.

Approaching one such board were three individuals bearing the insignia of the Keyblade Temple of Light. Two young men and a young woman stared up at the screen for a few moments, wreathed in the light of the dimming portal behind them. Moments later the portal had closed and they stood only in the dying light of the billboard.

Dawn, Bayle and Varun, the three of you have been sent here to investigate the cessation in communication between the temple and the authorities of Dauth. An initial inspection upon your arrival shows no signs of life, but perplexingly, there are no traces of Darkness to account for the disappearance of everyone within the city. You can speculate at this point, but for the most part you have no real leads to follow.

--- --- ---

Across the town there was more sign of damage, seeming to hint that there was an epicentre to whatever event had befallen the place. Darkness ebbed and flowed about, receeding after a few moments to reveal the arrival of three more Keybearers, these clearly attuned to the Dark.

Titus, Hazim and Magar, the three of you have been dispatched to your temple likewise to uncover why the world has cut off all communication. Dauth had always been known to keep regular contact and for it to miss a scheduled update required response in the form of a swift investigation. The section of the city you emerged into has been wrecked and demolished, with no signs of any inhabitants. More perplexing is the lack of any accompanying residual darkness normally associated with a heartless attack. You can speculate for the moment, but for the time being there is little to discern.

--- --- ---

The peace was not to last, as the presence of visitors caused the dormant presence to stir once more. As the two groups approached the city centre from opposite sides, an explosion in the town centre caused both of them to increase their pace...

--- --- ---

Kyranus, Maleek, and Rumbling Earth, the three of you arrived directly in the city central square for the same reasons as the others. Before you could approach the City Governance building before you a wave of creatures materialized seemingly from nowhere. Initially they resembled mere shadows cut down easily by Rumbling Earth’s Quake magic. A second wave sprang up moments later, to be scythed down by Kyranus’ keyblade as he threw it in a wide returning arc. But no matter how many you cut down, more continue to rise. Defend yourselves!

--- --- ---

Light Wielders, you will arrive from the north, Dark Wielders will arrive from the west to join battle with the Disciples of Balance. Swarms of heartless are piling into the city center from nowhere, most of them merely shadows, but there were inevitably neoshadows among them. You can comfortably eliminate a few dozen shadows easily enough, or you can instead choose to target the far more dangerous neoshadows in an attempt to weaken the link between this realm and the Dark. (note that you will initially be unable to slay any neoshadows until the next update)

Nobody can use further Light or Dark techniques at this time, the presence of multiple disciplines means more finesse is required to prevent further disruption. You must rely on Keyblade Techniques and magic to end this battle.

As trying as the situation may seem, your actions will determine the outcome of the battle as detailed below...

--- --- ---

See less See more
#2 ·
I materialized in the centre of the courtyard. My fellow temple members Tav'eran Maleek and the curiously named Rumbling Earth appeared beside me. Turning I surveyed the scenery and was markedly surprised that it was empty, the normally bustling city seemingly uninhabited. Despite this and for no lack of trying I could sense no trace of darkness and so I did not expend the neccesary willpower to draw my Keyblade just yet although I did don my armour with a faint mental impulse, feeling it flow from my mask to cover my entire body.

I glanced at my comrades and stepped forward, they doing the same beside me. However as we did so something brushed my mind and I snapped my head up, my Keyblade appearing in my hand. I gazed at the building to my right and saw a shadow move. Then it was joined by more many more. "They come," I shouted as the weight of their presence settled on my mind where before it had not been there. Without pause Rumbling used quake to scatter them but more came. We had spread out and I smiled beneath my mask.

I bent my legs slightly and pulled my arm back. I thrust my keyblade forwards, letting go of the hilt and spinning it as I did so. I watched it arc forwards and scythe through the ranks of the foe. I grinned with triumph as it sliced them to pieces before returning to my grip. More foes appeared and it twitched as if hungry for their blood. I howled and hurled myself forward, refusing to be daunted by the sheer mass of them. I cut down foes left and right, Darklight slicing through them as if they were parchment. Still more rose and I even spotted the hulking shapes of Neoshadows.

Now there was a challenge. I sprinted forward to get to grips with one of them and my keyblade slashed forward, clearing my path. I leapt up and my Keyblade narrowly missed the Neoshadow's head as it swung. When I landed I was surrounded by shadows and I spun in a circle, Keyblade held out straight, carving through them. I turned at the Neoshadow charged and I closed my eyes for a moment, letting the power of the keyblade infuse my body. When I opened my eyes they were pure white as the magic indused adrenaline fuelled my system and I began to attack, my blows as fast as lightning...

#3 ·
As Veran and his companions approached the city center, he did his best to take in as much information as he could. He felt no darkness. Odd, he thought.
Before he could gather very much, there was a distant explosion. It had originated from the center of the city. They increased their pace. What could have caused that? He had a nasty feeling that he would find out soon enough.
As they came up on the town center, Veran saw three beleaguered Keybearers in the center, fighting a horde of shadows. He also saw another group of Keybearers coming up on the town square to the right of him.
There was very little to consider in this situation. He knew that he had to help his fellow Keybearers. Veran struck the small jewel on his left shoulder, summoning his lightweight scaled armor. He drew his keyblade in a small flash of light, and threw himself into the legion of shadows.
Veran gracefully flowed from one place to another, between shadows, making a beeline towards the nearest neoshadow. As he came upon it, he began to dance with the creature, fighting defensively, as he was taught during his time in the Temple of Darkness. He struck lightly, seeking the opponent's weakness, all while dodging in and out of the shadows.
The shadows around him were quickly preoccupied by other Keybearers, leaving him mostly free to deal with his chosen opponent.
As his combat with the neoshadow heated, he began to gather energy for a Critical Strike...

#4 · (Edited)
As the portal of light began to close behind Dawn and her fellow temple companions, Dawn took a moment to adjust to the sudden darkness they found themselves in. All of the buildings around them were dark and the only light came from the stars overhead.

This is unusual..., she thought.

But yet, the more she searched for the reason of the blackout she realized that there was no reason for it. With a glance to her left, she saw that Veran and Bayle had arrived at a similar conclusion. Before she could discuss the blackout with them there was a faint explosion in the distance, near what seemed to be the center of the city. With a shared nod the trio began to jog towards the site of the blast, only to find three Keybearers fighting what appeared to be an endless swarm of shadows.

I recognize these Shadow's from my training... This can't be good..., Dawn thought.

As she saw another trio of Keybearers approaching them from her right, she realized how dire the situation was. With that, Dawn summoned Lilium and charged into the Shadows with Veran and Bayle to take some of the pressure off of the three keybearers already fighting.

Dawn gracefully tore from Shadow to Shadow, almost dancing with her enemies as they flew towards her. She swung Lilium with confidence, knowing one missed strike would unbalance her and leave her unguarded with so many shadows around. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Veran engaged in a heated fight with a Neoshadow and began to fight towards him in case he required support.

As she neared, Dawn noticed Veran gathering his energy for a Critical Strike when a cold chill went through her. It was the Neoshadows that were the real threat. The Shadows were a mere distraction.

Dawn fought to protect Veran as he charged for his Critical Strike, and prepared to use Sanctuary to protect him whilst executing it.

#5 ·
Bayle Kasibalas frowned sharply as he stepped out of the portal. He frowned for two reasons; the first was personal; he always found technologically advanced cities such as Daurth slightly wrong. They were too clean, the buildings too high and the people too arrogant and soft from easy living. The cities of his planet were sprawling, great industrial hubs that belched smoke and were aglow with the fires of early industry. Airships, great propeller driven balloons threaded the sky as street urchins infested the warrens below. It was dirty, dangerous and confusing but it was home.

His second reason for his deep frown that accentuated his hawkish nose and animated his usually slack face was far less trite, though a great deal more dramatic. Things on the world of Daurth were terribly, terribly wrong. It was dark, it was silent and there was no one about. It did not bode well for their mission.

Setting off with his companions, both a goodly span of years younger than he, Bayle took the lead and walked in the centre, unconsciously assuming the position of the leader. It came naturally for him, engrained from long years as a professional soldier, and an officer at that. As he walked Bayle mused on the calibre of his partners. Both were young, and no doubt untested in true organized warfare. He wondered if they would be able to follow his orders, or if they would even prove competent. Frowning again he shrugged the matter aside, they would either rise to the occasion or be revealed as chaff, there was little he could do to determine either.

Their small group walked further into the city, the streets still dark and lifeless. There were still no signs of rather but rather the opposite, smashed windows and crashed conveyances littered the streets. It was like there had been a silent and invisible war. The more they walked the more disturbed Bayle became. All his soldiers’ instincts told him something was awry and it took a conscious effort not to break into a low lope, scuttle to the nearest piece of cover and draw his weapon.

As they came to an open square Bayle caught the fading glow of another portal. The soft light dissipated to reveal another group of keybearers, a group from the Temple of Darkness judging by their auroras. Contempt roiled within Bayle, he had no time for those who let their emotions rule them. It was unwise to seek strength in them, for they were the result of momentary passions. Logic and reason were to be reloaded upon. While perspective could change Facts never ceased to be facts. The only hint to Bayle’s thoughts however was a slight tightening of the lips and a narrowing of his eyes, his impassive mask of a face hiding the depths of his feelings.

A large explosion shook him from his analysis and he took off running towards the source of it, along with the other bearers. Before the Hall of Governance stood another group of keybearers, these one’s assailed by creatures of shadows. Waves of the foul things poured from the surrounding buildings and streets, seemingly materialising from the darkness.

His blade coalesced into being at the scent of danger and Bayle gripped it tight. Ready to bawl orders to the others he turned only to see them dash forwards, straight into the melee. Cursing, he followed them in, the time for planning lost. He resolved to have stern words with them later concerning their lack of discipline.

Immediately he saw Varen make for one of the larger Neoshadows, and prepare a Critical Strike. Knowing the move would take time and concentration to execute properly Bayle moved to clear a space around the younger keybearer even as Dawn did the same. Unlocking his fever pitch Bayle moved like quicksilver, in a dozen places at one. He made precise, killing strokes, never wasting a blow or a movement. Economically he moved in a circle around the two other Light Templars, a blur of shining blade and darkened coat.

#6 ·
As Hazim stepped forth from the swirling darkness, his first thoughts were of the images of Eritrea; the towering structures and screens hinted at the power and technology at the behest of the might civilization that once ruled across this domain. However, now all was silent, Hazim found himself jumping at shadows, his eyes darting from alleyway to alleyway as he felt himself being watched. The street that the keybearers found themselves in did not escape whatever catastrophe killed this world unscathed, piles of rubble and the burnt out wrecks of some kind of aircraft littered the ground. Once again, Hazim found himself contemplating on his fellow practitioners of the dark temple; he had first met them recently, in preparation for this mission and had spoke only a few seldom words with each. The man Titus grinned with menace behind his eyes, and seemed to relish the defeat of others over his own victory; and Kharn walked like one used to being the king of the dogs and the unfortunate, one used to crossing the line without hesitation, and one who craved dominance. In short, Hazim Al Mercutio found himself partnered with two very dangerous men, and that alone meant that he should get along with them rather well indeed.

That strange sensation of forced hesitation in you next step, of a sense of dread and concern for something which you just cannot place, of something causing your heart to skip a beat before continuing, as if not willing to discover what; it was a feeling that had been drilled into Hazim since long before the keybearer temples. They called it 'forewarning', the slight hints given by a keyblade; to Hazim, it was his gut telling him that danger was around the next bend. Nonetheless, Hazim was still taken aback as the fireball quickly pierced the eternally blackened night, and almost felt himself thrown off of his feet as the shockwave quickly caught up with the sudden violence. Without a word, Hazim began sprinting towards the site of the battle, Saif nestled in his hand certain that his fellow keybearers would be hot on his tail.

The battle had commenced in earnest by the time the dark bearers arrived, Hazim saw the followers of balance besieged by the ranks of shadows, and the practitioners of light throwing themselves into the fray. The situation seemed in stark contrast to the empty streets mere blocks away, a scene of never ending hoards of foes swarming in from every possible place, even from seemingly nowhere at all. Hazim focused his gaze on the Neoshadows directing the attack and swiftly moved towards one; the keybearer kept to the edges of the courtyard, skirting the edges of the combat, his steps hardly making a sound. For a moment, Hazim considered enveloping himself in the shroud, but frowned as he saw the other temples' disciples press their attack; if they all began accessing the powers of that place then the entire world would come down upon them. Seeing the Neoshadow before him with its back turned, Hazim seized the opportunity and deftly twirled the short blade of Saif in his hand so he held it by the tip; the cold metal infused with power, Hazim hurled it at his foe, the shining blade cutting through all obstacles until it embedded itself hilt deep into its target.

The howl of the neoshadow was unlike any sound Hazim had heard, it was as if the his very heart was being assailed by a sonic bombardment. The neoshadow turned on the spot, searching manically for its aggressor; its hate filled eyes settling on Hazim, who was already rushing through the path created by his passing blade to meet it, Saif once more in his firm grip, all thoughts of stealth cast aside. This fight would be tougher than he first thought.

#7 ·
Magar

The city was quiet and empty, dead, it's carcass abandoned even by those that would thrive on it. There was no trace of darkness anywhere, it was unnerving, what could have caused this and yet left no trace. The two men walking beside him carried themselves with the confidence and arrogance of born killers. Like him. It could be interesting to see how their... working relationship developed.

But his reflection was interrupted as there was an explosion and a fireball plumed from the city centre. The three dark wielders broke into a run, sprinting towards the commotion and emerging into the central square to see six other keybearers already there, three of light, three of balance. They were engaged against a veritable horde of shadows, a fe Neo-shadows scattered among them.

He leapt forwards, smashing into a shadow feet first, before punching another into it's fellows. He held out his hand and swung it, the keyblade appearing while his arm was in motion, slicing a great swathe throught the croud before him before he brought it back in front of him, held in both arms. He leapt into the crowd, whirling the blade in a wide arc, somersaulting another shadow and bringing the blade down to catch his fall, impaling another as he landed.

#8 ·
Rumbling Earth arrived at a unsettling place, together with two other Keybearers of balance. Rumbling Earth had still not got used to worlds, where they built buildings that could house his tribe many times over. Buildings that would stand side by side, but this sight was even more disturbed than usual. Rumbling Earth had learned to associate these large towns with a flow of life unlike his home, thousand of people moving back and forth, shoulder by shoulder not noticing each other.

This city had no life, only destruction. No screams of pain and mercy, no blood and suffering. Just a unnatural silence and a darkened sky, only flickering billboards casting the massive place into a weird shadow play of death on the facades. There wasn't even any lingering feeling of darkness.

The way his fellow keybearers acted, Rumbling could sense they were as confused as him, they did not know either. But before he could form any theory, or ask the others who they might believe would hold knowledge of a similar situation, they were assailed from all sides. Rumbling Earths who had walked in with his armor on, activated his keyblade Gram. Striking hard into the ground of the central plaza, cutting through the stone of the walkway. From that point towards the unnatural forms of the shadows, the ground was shaking, concrete, asphalt and walkways was rupturing until the line reached the skittering shadows. There the ground quaked, and with the sound of a small explosion, opened up. Several shadows speared by stone formations bursting up from the ground, even more swallowed by holes in the ground that closed over them a moment later, there screams sounding pitiful.

A second wave sprang forth moments later, quickly slaughtered by Kyranus mastery of his blade. But it was still not enough, more and more shadows sprang forth and rumbling earth started to spot the bigger forms of what he assumed to be neoshadows. The true threat recognised, he also spotted several other keybearers had arrived at the battle. Several of them was heading towards these neoshadows, there death would weaken the multitude of the lesser shadows. Rumbling Earth quickly realised that several of the other keybearers including those he had arrived with, was better suited to handle the neoshadows than he was. Roaring over the noise of battle Rumbling Earth yelled to Kyranus, Maleek and any other with good hearing.

"Ill move South East away from you and our fellow keybearers gathering as many shadows as I can, before ill unleash the power of explosion. You guys hunt down some neoshadows or help the others, whatever you feel is the best course of action. Just stay clear of me."

With long strides roaring like a bull ox in heat, Rumbling Earth moved south east, away from the other keybearers. His Axe swinging left and right in huge swings, several shadows either to slow or unable to move away, cut in half by the sharp axe. Thou many more was able to dodge the slow powerful swings. Once Rumbling earth was forced to his knee, several shadows clambering around him trying to pin him to the ground. His armour protecting him from harm.
A dozen or so shadows tried taking a hold of his axe, to disarm him, with a mental command Rumbling Earth made the magic of lightning dance across his axe frying the shadows, there screams and stench filling the air. It was enough for Rumbling Earth to struggle free of the shadows, standing up taking another few strides away from his companions. Turning around Rumbling Earth believed to be far enough away that he could risk using explosion, he couldn't spot any neoshadows close enough to be affected by explosion, but he still hoped he might be lucky. But he had certainly attracted a good deal of attention from the lesser shadows, and now was the time to show them the error of there way.

#9 ·
Tav'eran stood, stripped to the waist, the top half of his form fitting body suit tied up above his hips, as he worked a slow meditative form of the ancient unarmed combative art favored by his gladitorial instructors on Neonach. His corded muscles rippling in the dying candle light, as he flowed from one form to the next, arms moving in perfect execution of each stance, his legs stepping from one position to the next with a dancers grace. From the outside looking in one would have seen a calm, focused, poised warrior. None would have imagined the turmoil that churned inside of him, invisible, unapparent in his graceful strides and movements. Slowly, bit by bit, he focused himself, fought down the chaos of emotion that threatened to overwhelm him as his movements grew faster, the Ri'Shok'Do coming to a close.

His body glistening with sweat, his chest heaving in exertion, he opened his eyes to find those same startlingly green orbs staring him in the face. The light of madness and purpose, warring in his mind, flashing in their depths as the mirror in his arming and training chamber caught his reflection. With a smile he saw that one of the Order serfs was standing in the door way to the room, eyes respectfully averted, awaiting his instruction, the rolling armor stand holding his armor waiting in arms reach. Grabbing a towel from the mirror stand, Tav'eran wiped the moisture from his arms and chest before sliding his arms into the upper part of his body suit and motioning the servant forward with his equipment. In the mirror he watched the mans eyes, usually dull and uninterested, take in the lattice work of scars across his back as he zipped the form fitting fabric up the back and began to assist Tav'eran with the rest of his armor. In moments he was outfitted for war, his legs, chest, shoulders, and waist adorned with protective pieces. It was when the man began to assist him with his bracers that he lost his patience. While securing his right bracer, the mans fingers brushed across the raised and puckered scars on his forearm, large enough to be visible underneath the skin tight suit of Tuan fabric, and he recoiled. Tav'eran's eyes flashed in sudden manic anger, and with a bellow of rage he grabbed the man by the back of his tunic, shoving him out of the room into the hallway beyond. "The mark of a slave offends you, does it?" he roared, the frantic surge of emotion breeching his imposed control. He barely registered the serfs hasty apology, as the man scrambled down the hallway and out of sight.

Returning to his chamber, he yanked the right bracer on, securing the straps with his teeth before he donned his strange looking gauntlet of flexible metal, another reminder of his past, and experimentally tested the activation tab for the retractable blades. With a snicker-snack of metal sliding on metal the three wicked blades extended from their hidden ports, and he tested the edge on the towel he had just used. Razor sharp as always. He had won this strange prize in the last of his arena fights, the material alien, the mechanics beyond his comprehension, but he valued the weapon a constant brother to Elgahian. His equipment secured he donned his helm and left his chambers without a backward glance, a smile on his face at the upcoming mission, the incident with the serf and its resulting rage already forgotten.

***​

Stepping from the portal with his companions, Tav'eran found himself in a city square, not unlike one he would have found on his home planet. The boulevards were wide and well travelled. Fountains and cared for gardens adorned the square. But as soon as his feet hit the pavement he could tell that something was amiss. The quiet seemed to stretch on forever, as if some great gods hand had covered this tortured land with a heavy blanket, smoothering the noise and life from its surface. Hover vehicles lay overturned in the street, store fronts peered blearily into the square devoid of movement, and the sense of wrongness just deepened.

Almost at the same instant his gaze snapped to the same area as Kyranus' and Tav'eran saw the shadow move and he watched as Kyranus tensed, his keyblade appearing in his hand. As if called by its brother, Elgahain materialized in Tav'eran's right hand, the blades of his left guantlet snapping open, eager to taste the semi-corporal flesh of his enemies.

"They come," Kyranus shouted as waves of shadows poured from the openings of what had once been the city governance building. As they came, Rumbling Earth's great axe appeared in his hand and with a grating bellow, like stone grinding on stone, he slammed the head of the great weapon into the street before them, calling on the powers of earth to aid them. Shadows were crushed beneath waves of roiling concrete and debris, smoothered in the detritius resulting from the earthquake that radiated out from the blade of his axe. At the same moment Kyranus drew back his arm and threw his keyblade in a wide arc, cutting down shadows as it streaked through their unending number.

Tav'eran focused on the tumultous whirlpool of emotion that surged within him, and focusing on Elgahain, he drew in the power of his keyblade. Things seemed to slow slightly to his eyes as a feverish energy filled his limbs. As Kyranus flung himself against one of the Neoshadows that now appeared, Tav'eran launched himself into a large group of shadows trying to assail his brother from his flank. Elgahain became a blur of motion, hacking, slashing, stabbing, he fought the unending wall of lesser shades and they died as they came, falling to his keyblade and claw. None were able to pass him, giving Kyranus a clear shot at the more potent enemy. With a roar he threw himself into them once more, his weapons flashing, his mind laying memories of brawls in dark pits and cavernous arenas before his eyes. Each taking on a face of one he had killed, or maimed, or bested the now became lost upon him as he fought as he had always fought, with ferocity and cunning of a wild beast.

#10 ·
Titus stepped out of the blackness that surrounded him, arrogantly putting one foot in front of the other as he walked onto whatever cesspit of a world he had been sent to. The world had not made contact with the temple of darkness for a while, which he had been told was unusual.

Personally he didn't really care about these small things, the fact that the leaders of the temple were wasting his raw skill and talent on trivial things like this showed how foolish they were being. He looked at his two companions, both competent wielders of darkness, but were they worthy of fighting alongside him. He studied his companions for a moment, before looking at their surrondings.

Based on first impressions he wasn't impressed, however he could see how wary they were of each other and him, meaning that they weren't stupid. Titus flashed a smile, his brilliant white teeth the perfect opposite of his darkened armour and their surroundings.

He looked at the city around them, far too quiet for this to have been a small incursion from the dark. Perhaps the leaders of the temple hadn't quite wasted his talent yet. He walked with the others as they studied the city, moving silently a pace behind the both of them. He could end both their lives in a single second, if he summoned his keyblade he thought to himself, amusing himself with the thought of death at the tip of his blade.

However his fantasys were dashed when he, and the others, heard fighting going on nearby. The two of them rushed off, adament to get to the fight and help whoever it was in trouble. Titus followed at his own pace, though he moved quickly, something might fall to his blade yet.

They arrived in a square, seeing members of the Temple of Balance fighting against a horde of shadows and Neo-Shadows, whilst at the same time three members of the Temple of Light appeared on the opposite side. The others rushed into battle, summoning their keyblades as they sought to help the others. Titus followed, at a walking pace, if they couldn't survive until he got there, well then they were not worth the effort of saving in the first place.

He lazily summoned his keyblade into existence, even as he felt excitement ripple through him. He saw the others focussing on the Neo Shadows, this would allow him to deal with the lesser shadows so they didn't mob him, and if his fellows failed to take out the Neo-Shadows, he would be free to do so.

He leapt forward like lightning, the first shadow didn't even see him as his red keyblade tore through it. Titus was a blur of movement, ducking under a swipe at his head he brought his keyblade in a two handed thrust into the one shadow that dared attack him so far.

However his attack brought the attention of more shadows, and they rushed over towards him to deal with him. Titus let his smile widen as he leapt to meet them, hacking two down with one swipe of his sword, and with the return swing taking out another. He kept his guard low as he leapt from one shadow to another, carving a path for himself through them.

#11 · (Edited)
Update

The Heartless could no longer be held back from the full force of their incursion, and upon the arrival of the keybearers they seemed to renew their efforts twice over. The Neoshadows, creatures of the deepest dark, observed the arrival of the newcomers and watched with almost a seeming sense of amusement as their lesser brethren were slain by the score.

But then, they themselves became the targets, and the tide changed.

--- --- ---

Kyranus and Veran successfully manage to eliminate their opponents, one with a flurry of quick strikes that tear it to ribbons and the other with a bone shattering strike that breaks the creature's body in half.

Dawn prepares to shield Veran against the onslaught of shadows, but relinquishes the technique upon the neoshadow's defeat. As Veran steps down to join her, the two of them succeed in slaying another handful of shadows each.

Bayle's momentum finds him isolated from the other Light Disciples and surrounded by shadows alongside Kyranus. The two of them are forced to defend themselves and bring down another handful of shadows each even as another neoshadow approaches. After a few moments, the creature vanishes from their sight.

Hazim's foe proves resilient, resisting his attacks though it does fall back under his onslaught.

Maleek finds himself tearing his way through a horde of shadows until they are all spent in the immediate vicinity. By chance, a neoshadow pursued by Hazim crosses his path and he finds himself pursuing it alongside the dark disciple. The pursuit is cut off as a new wave of shadows flows from the surrounding dark, allowing the neoshadow to escape.

Rumbling Earth lures almost twenty shadows close to him before preparing to unleash his explosion, however the technique is interrupted by a sneak attack from a previously unseen neoshadow. Thrown to the ground, he is quickly subdued by a host of shadows.

Titus, fighting at his own pace happens across a cluster of shadows and quickly carves a path through them, finding Rumbling Earth battling at the center. Upon seeing two keybearers, the neoshadow overseeing the shadow cluster swiftly retreats.

Magar had plunged headlong into the mass of heartless, completely losing track of his fellows as he cuts his way forth.

--- --- ---

The tables had turned, and it was apparent now that the Heartless' defeat was inevitable unless something drastic happened. As one, the Neoshadows had begun to retreat towards the center of the city square to stand before the capital building while their underlings formed a barrier of bodies before them. The darkness began to form a vortex in the air above them and those of the dark temple were immediately able to sense what was coming.

The neoshadows seemed to melt together, drawn up into the vortex like matter being consumed by a black hole. As they vanished, the vortex grew until after a few moments it formed an enormous shape reminiscent of the creatures that it had been mere seconds ago.

They keybearers recognized it immediately. One of the giant heartless known as a Darkside, this being is one of many that have single handedly cast worlds to their doom in the past. If this world is to have any chance of being saved, the thirty foot monstrosity before you must be destroyed.

--- --- ---

Magar, you are the closest and the first to be targeted by the creature. Its enormous fists shatter the concrete beside you as you avoid its initial attacks. An opportunity presents itself in the form of its arm, so embedded in the ground that it struggles to lift itself free. Will you take the chance to get in a few hits early, or retreat to allow your allies a clear shot with their own attacks?

Kyranus and Bayle, the two of you are side by side directly in the middle of the shadow horde. This puts you in a prime position to draw the shadows' attention away from your allies and allow them to focus on the greater threat.

Dawn, Veran, Hazim, Maleek: You four find yourselves in a better position to engage the Darkside from a distance. Depending on Magar's choice of action, you may find yourselves attacking with magic or long range techniques. Alternatively, you can devote your efforts to cutting your way through the shadows to fight it up close. Keep in mind you have allies to call upon, regardless of their temple. Perhaps another can do what you can or will not?

Rumbling Earth, Titus: The two of you are at a greater distance from the main battle and as such have a few more moments to observe the situation between cutting down a few of the remaining heartless. You notice nearby that the damage to the road indicates a possibility of collapsing some of the buildings in the area. If the Darkside could be buried under the rubble of a collapsing building it would go a long way towards defeating it if nothing else. If both of you were to combine Quake magic onto a single weakened point of a building's structure, you could easily collapse it. The only problem is, the giant heartless itself is surrounded by your allies...

ALL: Regardless of your actions, the Darkside will not be defeated in this update. Shadows however remain fair game, use commonsense with the numbers. :)

#12 ·
As Veran struck the final blow against the neoshadow, splitting it in twain, he quickly turned to assess the situation around him. He saw that the combat went well for his fellow keybearers, and victory was so close he could almost taste it.

Then, something surprising began to happen: all the remaining neoshadows started retreating toward the the center of the square. The horde of shadows still present closed quickly around them, blocking any pursuit with a wall of bodies. Then, a vortex of darkness began to swirl above the group of neoshadows. Veran knew not what was coming, but could already tell that he wasn't going to like it.

As the vortex grew, the neoshadows began to pull upwards toward it, and were quickly consumed by the raging blackness above them. As the last of them vanished, the vortex became quickly larger and more violent, swirling downwards quickly, and began to take on the recognizable shape of a neoshadow... A thirty foot tall neoshadow.

Veran now knew what it was that he had witnessed but moments before: the birth of a Darkside. An immensely powerful monster of darkness, known to be able to throw entire worlds into shadow in mere days. He knew that it had to be destroyed, but he also recognized that his current standings, in both power and physical location, were not enough to bring down a Darkside.

And so, he indicated to his fellow keybearer of light what he intended, shouting out to Dawn, asking for a shield.

Veran struck the few shadows that had crept in at him while he contemplated, then began to seek inside himself for the light he knew to be there.

When Veran finally grasped the light within himself, he took a quick glance around. He then began to draw the light out, trusting that he was well protected in knowing that Dawn would guard him. As Veran stood there, concentrating, he drew the light to the tip of Shadowsun. The Darkside would feel the piercing tip of his Smiting Lance.

#13 ·
Hazim lashed out with Saif, putting his forward momentum behind the attack, hoping to finish the fight with the neoshadow in a single blow. The creature easily managed to parry the short blade, but Hazim followed through and deftly spun on his heels to launch a frenzy of attacks at his opponent, the suddenness of his actions catching the neoshadow unprepared and forcing it on the defensive. Hazim, pressing his advantage, found himself not a foot from the vile beings 'face' as the neoshadow's retreat was halted by its own wall of minions; Saif cut deep and the neoshadow lurched at the pain caused by the pure blade, before resorting to desperate blows, determined to break its assailaint's defenses and reap vengeance for the pain the mortal had caused it. The cold sensation resulted in a grimace from Hazim, the feeling of his part of his soul being extinguished as the Neoshadow clapsed hold onto his arm, the agonising feeling of nothingness in his limb was almost unbearable, but Hazim kicked out and sent the Neoshadow hurtling into the mass of shadows. The keybearer immediately followed his quarry into the fray, with no intention of allowing it to escape.

Hazim surpressed his anger as he galnced around, hoping to cath sight of the fleeing neoshadow, cutting down any shadows that got to close; there! Hazim ran towards the injured spawn, simply shouldering his way past shadows too preoccupied to notice his approach; he was gaining on it, and the neoshadow seemed aware of the fact, snarling at nearby shadows and hurling them into Hazim's path. His grip on Saif tightenned as he prepared himself for the final blow; yet, Hazim felt his feet dissapear from underneath him, and time appeared to dramatically slow, as the ground came up to his face unnaturally fast.

Cursing at himself, Hazim lashed out at the prone shadow, already in its death throes, that had tripped him up; he could see the Neoshadow getting away and quickly began to pull himself to his feet. It was then that Hazim took note of the high concentration of shadows surrounding him, and of their cries of pain as they were cut down by the dozen. Seeing a flash of silver and flesh at the heart of the mass focus into the figure of a Keybearer of the temple of balance, Hazim clasped his hands to his mouth; "Forget them!", he cut down yet another shadow that was swarming the scene, "That Neoshadow's getting away!" Confident that his call was heard and his fellow warrior would heed his call, Hazim once more took off after the fleeing creature.

"NO!" Hazim yelled in frustration, as he watched the Newoshadow sulk away behind what appeared to be a nigh impernatrable wall of shadows. Hazim immediately began to cut them down, but found himself falling back farther and farther away from his goal; the same was happenning all around the center of the courtyard as the Neoshadows withdrew, and Hazim felt a tightenning in his gut, an instinctive fear that screamed at him to kill the neoshadows before it was realised. As a loud crack shattered the air, Hazim knew that it was too late, and he felt the fibers of his being twist as two giant footsteps shook the Earth, and a monster of the darkest black stepped forth to face those who dared upset their plans.
The Darkside was a creature of death and destruction, a reaper that slew entire worlds with little care or concern; the keybearers were well and truely in a fight for their lives, and as it appeared so easily and so suddenley, Hazim felt his hopes of finding anyone alive in this world dwindle. His abilities were no match for the beast, Magnera and Strike Raid would not even slow the thing, and the former may even result in dreadful consequences against himself if he attempted it on something so much larger than himself. Glancing behind, Hazim could make out two figures standing further back, the keyblade of Titus instantly recogniseable, even from this distance; the two of them had a much better view of the situation, and Hazim drew Saif once more, determined to at least hold off the Darkside until they could think of something.

#14 ·
As Dawn prepared to shield Veran from the never-ending tide of shadows while he deals with the Neoshadow, Veran promptly struck the Neoshadow with such a force that it split the creature in half with a deafening crack. She relinquished the technique and focused on clearing the surrounding area of shadows with Veran. She was relieved they had at least managed to slay one of the Neoshadows and wondered how the other Keybearers had fared.

Then, without warning, the remaining Neoshadows began to retreat towards the center of the City Square. Dawn’s immediate reaction was to give chase but as she began to run the mass of shadows formed a barrier around the Neoshadows which made any chance of pursuit impossible. The sky around the Keybearers darkened slightly as a vortex of darkness opened in the air above the Neoshadows. As one, the Neoshadows began to rise into the air which caused the vortex to grow bigger and begin to spin.

Whatever comes out of that portal isn’t going to be happy… Dawn thought.

When the Neoshadows disappeared into the vortex, Dawn allowed herself to hope that they had fled back to the darkness from which they came, but when the Darkside descended from the vortex of darkness a wave of helplessness swept over her. Darkside’s were known to destroy entire worlds in mere days, and the defeating a Darkside was unheard of. The Keybearers weren’t just fighting to save Destora anymore; they were fighting to save themselves.

Dawn took a few steps back as she assessed her situation. She glimpsed Veran beside her and felt reassured that she would not be alone in this fight. Together they would think of a plan to at least weaken the Darkside. She knew though that she wouldn’t be able to hurt the Darkside by herself, she simply lacked any ranged abilities and she wasn’t strong enough to attempt to fight the beast by herself.

As she wondered what to do, she heard Veran hurriedly shout for a Shield as he began to glow with a radiant light. She knew what Veran was preparing to do and knew that it was their best shot at hurting the Darkside. Dawn took a deep breath as she tightened her grip on Lilium and prepared to keep the shadows away from Veran while she once again waited for the right time to use Sanctuary. Her only worry was that she wouldn’t have the strength to protect the both of them from harm.

#15 ·
Reality and rememberance mixed in equal proportion in Tav'eran's eyes, as around him the lesser shades fell. Elghain weaved a lighting pattern of deadly strikes, faster and more accurate than the Shadows could counter. His taloned guantlet flashed, removing the tendril of darkness that reach out for him, followed by a cross-body slash from his key blade and the Shadow was no more. His hatred for these oppressive beasts was burning a hole in his chest, deadly desire yearning for a release. Gathering that hatred, forming it to his will he drew on its power. Dark energy, coalesced around his left hand, motes of startling purple and blue flickering around the edges of the field, and with a cry of primal rage Tav'eran through himself once more into the fray. Blazing energy lashing out, stunning, wounding, tearing at the Shadows. Arcane blasts followed by skilled and practiced strikes with his blade. Soon Tav'eran found himself surrounded by an enemy that were either dead or dying, a cry of frustration rippling from his lips. He longed for another target to slate his bloodlust, his eyes flashing with barely controlled mad rage. It was then, in a flurry of movement, that a Neoshadow a true challenge, an excellent outlet for his burning ire streaked past him, one of the warriors from the Temple of Darkness in dogged pursuit. Roaring his challenge, to the empty skies he gave chase, falling in beside his fellow Keybearer.

He was thrilled to find that the the Hearless were falling back, the combined assault of warriors from all three Temples more than they could handle. It seemed as if this engagement was going to be shot, barely worth the exercise. Before them the Neoshadow they purued joined with its fellows, gathering in a large group in the center of the city square. Tav'eran was forced to jump back, breaking his pursuit as a wall of lesser Shadows came pouring into the square as well, barring the Keybearers path the true threat. Once again channeling his rage and hate, both hands flaring with dark energy, he threw bolt after bolt of pulsing power into the endless ranks of Heartless that arrayed themselves before him, Elgahain flashing reflecting the flickering light as it darted in and out, stabbing and slashing at the foe. For all his efforts the tide seemed endless.

Jumping back, admitting that he would not breach the wall of Darkness before him, he took stock of their situation. In the center of the square, ringed by lesser minions, the Neoshadows had started to sway and melt, forming together, drawing themselves up in a vortex of lifeless energy. One by one the forms of the Neoshadows melted away, sucked into the whirlwind that now dominated the square. Ducking under a feeble strike by one of the lesser shades, he brought his Keyblade up in a wide arc, splitting the offender in twain, the two halves melting from view as the beast died. He turned his attention back on the spectacle before him, any hope that this was a retreat dashed from his mind as an enormous shape materialized out of the chaotic maelstrom. Its foot falls causing the very ground to quake and tremble. A Darkside a champion of the Heartless, a destroyer of worlds. A slow maddened smile began to play across Tav'erans features as he looked on the beast with contempt.

He saw across the square disciples of the Temple of Light acting in concert. One had erected a shield for the other, keeping the warrior free from intereferance from the lesser shades that now went into a frenzy at the appearance of their powerful ally. Tav'eran knew that he need to distract the Shadows and, if he could, the Darkside. He needed to keep its attention away from the shielded warrior who appeared to be channelling energy into his Keyblade, its tip glowing with the white hot light of a captured sun. Raising his hands to the sky, Tav'eran drew all of his energy, funnelling his rage, his hatred, his determined purpose into the Dark Energy he now used like a born appendage, and with the buzzing of his power ringing in his ears he loosed a torrent of dark bolts into the both the shadows and the Darkside. Shades vaporized as the power reached them, such was the fury of his channeling and the Darkside even registered the flurry of strikes that ran up its side and into its nech and head.

He could feel the Shadows take notice and he bellowed a wordless challenge at them and they came. They came in waves threatening to overwhelm him. Slowly, but surely he made his way around the back of the Darkside, keeping his companions well out of range of his intended strike. As Elgahain flashed, his taloned gauntlet slased and hackes, and his Arcane projectiles found their marek, tav'eran began to charge his Keyblade with all the energy he could spare. along its top strange runes began to glow with a harsh white light. He felt them swarming about him and he moved, his strike held ready. Moving as close as he dared to the Darkside, he continued to draw shadows around him, until it seemed he would be overwhelmed and buried in the amount of Hearltess around him, when he released the pent up energey. Rocketing himself into the air, high above the shades below he flung out his hand and Elgahain, its blade glowing bright radiant light, Streaked toward the ground meeting the concreate with a roar and the thundering peal of released magic. The explosion tossed Shadow bodies everywhere and then, for a brief moment all were gripped in a violent discharge of power that sent boedis flying everywhere. He was unable to see from this vantage, but he hoped that the explosion had beeen near enough to the Darkside to cause any lasting damage.

#16 ·
I’d have been flogged for this back in the army... if i’d survive. thought the once soldier one Keybearer.

Bayle suppressed a wry smile at the situation he found himself in. Not moments after he had chided his fellows for rushing off into combat without a plan he had gotten himself surrounded by a horde of shadows. He did not have time to appreciate the irony however as the horde surged forwards again.

Setting his shoulders Bayle once again reaped the lesser shadows, moving like a soldier; calmly, deliberately, economically. Hewing through the lesser beings he was dismayed however to see that his efforts were accomplishing little; there were always more of them. He was not alone however as another Keybearer fought alongside him. The man was from the Temple of Balance and fought furiously.

As he ripped his sword free from the gut of one shadow, the rest of the creature simply dissipating into an ethereal mist the tempo of the battle changed. In a slithering mass the remaining neoshadows roiled together, fusing into one might being. One raised eyebrow was all the emotion Bayle allowed it.

It was a fearsome foe, but it could be defeated, of that Kasibalas had no doubt. Not with nine Keybearers acting in concert. Still his fellows would need time and focus. Bayle would give them that focus. “Adherent to the Path of Balance, With me!”, he cried to the one fighting beside him. “Our fellows must defeat that monster and as they are the spear we shall be the shield!”.

His long coat billowed out behind his athletic form as he leapt into the midst of the lesser shadows, seeking to draw their attention away from the other Keybearers.

#17 ·
Titus strolled arrogantly through the horde of shadows that beset him and his fellow keybearers. He was a little angry that he was here fighting the shadows, Titus taking what anger was building out on the shadows. They were a pathetically easy opponent for a keybearer such as him, and his skill set was thus being completely misused by the fools that ran the temple.

Titus slammed his keyblade through another shadow that attempted to leap onto him from behind, dropping down onto one knee to do so. He snarled as he saw a group of shadows in front of him, protecting a neoshadow, a possible challenge for him. He leapt into action, running forward quickly towards the weirdly distracted shadows.

Three shadows turned to see him running towards them, two of them charging at him quickly. He ran until he was within striking range, and leapt into the air, kicking one in the chest and knocking them both over. The third he drove his blade into, before ripping it out and rolling over its back. The neoshadow backed away as he cut through the shadows revealing what they were trying to kill.

A keybearer, one of the temple of balance was on the floor obviously having been mobbed and defeated by the mere shadows. Titus let out a howling laughter at this, this man wasn't fit to be a keybearer if he had been overwhelmed by shadows. He looked down on the keybearer, "Can't even handle shadows? What good are you for your order then? Or are they all like you?" He asked, laughing as he did so.

Titus turned to see the neoshadows forming, all off them together despite the best efforts of his fellow keybearers to form something that could devastate worlds. A Darkside. Titus licked his lips as he held his blade by his side, finally a challenge worthy of his skill. He looked around quickly spotting a crumbling road, and possible buildings he could use to his advantage.

Turning back to his fellow Keybearer he said simply, "Right I am Titus, Dark Temple blah blah. You have the ability to cause quakes yes? We are going to combine our two quakes and bury it under rubble allowing us to get close and kill it, understand?" His tone was harsh and quick, without waiting for an answer he prepared to use his ability on a building next to it.

"I suppose we will have to warn our "companions", a shout will have to suffice." He said to the keybearer he just saved before bellowing out. "Move away from that thing or die. YOUR CHOICE." Grinning he turned back to his companion, "Lets go kill this thing then."

#18 ·
Rumbling Earth suddenly found himself once again down on the ground. This time he had been dropped by a neoshadow, that had hidden away amongst the shadows. It had waited for the right moment to strike, where Rumbling Earth had just been about to power up his power of explosion. But it had not been strong enough, Earth heavy armour had protected him completely, and even lying down the shadows had been able to pin but not hurt him.

But Earth knew he couldn't stay down sooner or later the shadows would find a weak spot, but he could also feel the pressure releasing watching shadows die around him. Able to rise Rumbling Earth saw a keybearer of the Dark temple that called himself Titus, who had mockery in his voice.

Rumbling Earth swung his axe cleaving 2 jumping shadows in two, while he smiled back at Titus, following him towards the massive Darksider that had appeared, and was threatning the rest of the keybearers.

"Well not everybody can be great swordmasters and orators Master Titus, but considering the Neoshadow, that was on my back, don't know fear or terror and it wanted to fight me and not you im pretty sure the heartless keep there priorities straight. And for one with a sharp tongue like yours, you shout like a little girl"

Rumbling Earth simply shouted Quake across the battlefield, a little bit louder than Titus, Earths deep resonating voice carrying well over the high pitched sounds of the battle. It even made a few close by shadows jump by instinct from the surprising sound, there forward movement stopped, giving them life for another half second, before Titus destroyed them on his path towards the Darkside.

"Ready when you are" Rumbling Earth said preparing to Quake the building Titus had indicated.

#19 ·
There was an earth shattering boom as the creature's fist came crashing down, the road surface rippling with the force of impact as it's blow blasted a crater into the ground. Magar had dived to one side, and the shockwave had left him a little dazed. Then he saw it's fist embedded in the road still. The massive beast struggling to pull back from it's strike. His ears still ringing, he did not hear the warning's of Titus and charged forward, keyblade swinging.

He brought it up in a savage upper cut, slashing along where a human's tendons would have been, before reversing his grip above his head and plunging the blade into the Darkside's arm up to the crossbar. It howled in rage and pain, wrenching it's arm back and with a jolt he felt himself lifted from the ground. Now he himself was trapped in the same position the Darkside had been a moment before. He could almost laugh at the irony were he not now suspended from the thing's arm. It swatted at him, roaring, and he twisted desperately, it's arm hissing past with terrifying force below him as he held on for dear life.

At that point a deep, bass voiced shout rumbled across the battlefield. "Quake."

His blood ran cold, surely not with him still fighting the monstrosity? He redoubled his efforts, swinging his body up and bracing his feet against the beast as he tugged to remove the blade from it's wrist, standing now near horizontal out from it's arm. It had to come free.

#20 ·
Update

As Magar attacked the massive Darkside at close range, Bayle and Maleek began to advance as well slaying scores of shadows as they went. Hazim likewise did what he could to keep the creatures at bay while Dawn and Veran prepared to strike a telling blow from a slightly greater distance. Rumbling Earth and Titus were at a greater distance still and had resolved to collapse one of the nearby skyscrapers on top of the creature while it was occupied.

The engagement seemed to slow as every plan formulated set into motion at once. Rumbling Earth's shouted warning to the others gave Bayle and Maleek time to retreat from the Darkside's massive form. Magar, trapped by his keyblade embedded in the monster's arm, was unable to retreat alongside them.

Just as the Darkside was poised to crush the dark keybearer like some irritating mosquito, a lance of pure light tore through its chest, throwing it back a step and dislodging the flailing Magar from its wounded limb. At the same time the ground shook with shockwaves. The blast of Maleek's explosion technique had increased the disorientation of the creature just as another series of tremors began elsewhere. The epicentre of the quake came from one of the buildings to the edge of the Town Square, where Rumbling Earth and Titus had focused their efforts to bring it down. Unable to recover from the lance in time, the Darkside was buried beneath the crumbling ruin of the once glorious skyscraper.

Dawn was pushed to her limit keeping Veran shielded from the swarm of Heartless. She was unable to release the barrier until the boy was recovered, and for a few tense moments it looked as though they would both be overwhelmed. As the shadows seemed poised to tear the youths apart, they were cut down several at a time by the running form of Magar, having just outrun the collapse of the building.

With their leader temporarily incapacitated, the flow of heartless seemed to stop, giving every keybearer present a moment of respite. Some allowed themselves a moment of hope, but whatever there may have been was dashed a few moments later as a giant fist appeared to smash its way clear, followed by the wisping tendrils that snaked from the creature's form as it brutishly smashed its way clear. As it rose once more to its full height, visibly damaged but far from defeated, the tide of darkness resumed.

Unseen by those below, a solitary figure watched the battle unfold from the top of one of the skyscrapers at the other side of the square. He wore the same black robes of the Dark Temple, and on his concealed face his lips curled into a smile as he watched the battle resume...

--- --- ---

All: The moment of respite gives you the perfect oppurtunity to close the distance. Though the Darkside is not yet significantly weakened, it is reduced enough in fortitude that your lesser attacks will be able to inflict worthwhile damage. At this stage it remains stationary, so it is potentially vulnerable to a heavy damage attack.

As you all approach it, Shadows attack, weaker in number and strength than they were before.

Work together, combine your efforts and hit this thing with the hardest techniques you have at your disposal. The Darkside will fight back, but it is not the threat it was moments ago. The battle will end after this update, but the manner of our next direction will depend on how you go about it.

#21 · (Edited)
It is a wonderful thing to know that, even for a split moment, you can touch the power of the Gods. I felt it in that moment. The magically infused adrenaline pumped through my system, banishing all fear. The battle cries of my fellow Keybearers faded to nothing, as did the shadows around him until the only thing left in his world were myself, Darklight and the Neoshadow. I moved forward quickly and ducked beneath the Neoshadow’s flailing arm. My Keyblade flickered out three times and the Neoshadow’s arm fell from its shoulder. It stared at the wound in shock and my blade tore through its chest in a dozen places until the only thing holding it together was air.

The Neoshadow exploded and the pieces simply vanished. I laughed with joy as the bloodlust flooded my system. I was a whirlwind of destruction, everything that came near died. In the midst of the carnage I had created I paused and saw that the Neoshadows were being absorbed by a vortex of pure shadow. I knew what was coming even before it had begun to form and my suspicions were proved right when it melded into a 30 foot version of a Neoshadow. A Darkside! I grinned suddenly beneath my mask. Now there was indeed a worthy foe. But I was too far away to engage it and even before the wielder of light called to me I was already fighting to give my fellows the space to engage the Darkside properly.

Whereas before there had been a risk of inviting more darkness into the realm if we overused our powers now there were no holds barred. I crouched and raised my Keyblade. I felt the energy coursing through me and channelled it into the sword. The blade began to glow so bright that it hurt the eyes and the shadows shied away from it. Then, with a single thought I released the gathering power. A lance of light erupted from the tip of Darklight and atomised all the shadows in its path. The power was awesome to behold as it burnt through the horde before burning a hole in a building on the far side of the square. I shut off the flow of energy and the beam ceased to exist.

For all its great power the effort of using it had drained me. I fought against the wish to flee for the horde seemed endless. I heard Rumbling Earth’s booming voice carry across the field of battle. “Quake!” he shouted. I turned spinning my sword on the palm of my hand only to see a warrior being pulled into the sky with his Keyblade embedded in the Darkside’s hand. He was struggling to pull the weapon free. I shouted in rage and fear. I did not know the man but I would not let him die. As I prepared to throw Darklight however a beam of light, a smiting lance similar to the one I had used only having been charged for longer tore into it and it flung the Keybearer aside.

The ground shook and I struggled to stay on my feet. I dropped to one knee to dodge a flailing blow from a shadow and cut it in half with almost surgical ease. A skyscraper crumbled and pinned the Darkside to the floor. I moved forward swiftly although I was behind both the wielder of light and Maleek. I slew scores of shadows as I fought my way towards the Darkside. I noticed that the skyscraper that had fallen on it would also place me higher than its head.

Barely thinking I scrambled up the skyscraper. I waited until I was high enough to leap onto the Darkside’s head and began to pour all of my energy into my Keyblade, preparing for the most powerful smiting lance I had ever attempted. I waited until it was fully charged then I launched myself into space with a shout. Both feet slammed into the thing’s head and I brought Darklight down. The tip plunged into the Darkside’s head and sank to about a third of the blade. I released the power and was both blinded and flung backwards by the detonation of the impact. I slammed into the fallen skyscraper and slid down to land hard on my feet. I shook stars from my vision and looked up to see the damage I had caused. I knew I couldn’t have killed it but at the very least it wasn’t going to be in a good state to continue fighting.

#22 ·
Rumbling Earth was silently in awe of the power the Darkside obviously possesed. But it did not diminish his desire to eradicate the being from existence. Thou he still was unsure that a being like it, could so totally vanquish life as he had seen and felt in this city.

With a a loud roar and a battlecry for balance and the city of Dauth, Rumbling Earth started to run at the Darkside, running down a few shadows and slicing several more with the long reach of his axe, Rumbling Earth loudly kept on charging the hulking behemoth of the Darkside. Hoping that the shadows and maybe even the darkside would see him as the greatest threat, being the largest and loudest being around. And give the others enough time to hit the Darkside with attacks that would destroy the beast.

As Rumbling Earth got closer to the Darkside he charged up the lightning in his Axe, to the maximum he was able, jumping up the ruins towards the hip of the beast. Rumbling Earth spotted someone that had attached himself to the beasts head, and while Rumbling Earth swung his axe from a wide arc to maximise the impact his axe would have with the belly of the beast. The Darkside lit up from the inside, like someone had ignited an explosion inside the beast.

Rumbling Earth could nothing but laugh, as his lightning and axe connected with the beast.

#23 ·
Veran was tired. His body did not ache with it, as it would had he fought for hours, but he could feel the fatigue from his arcane and spiritual exertions. He knew that he didn't have another Smiting Lance in him, but he felt that a critical strike was not beyond his abilities at this point. And so, having made up his mind as to his next course of action, he looked to his target again.

The creature, the Darkside, was moving again. Veran could see that it was no longer able to fight at full capacity. But that didn't make it any less of a formidable foe. He would have to be careful to break in close to its chest. The center of mass would be the best place for the strike.

He saw that Dawn, who had just protected his life, appeared to be exhausted after her ordeal with the shield. He would have to thank her for that later. But for now, all he had time to manage was a light tap on the shoulder as he rushed past toward the Darkside.

Veran knew that Bayle disapproved of actions that might be ill considered, but Veran trusted in himself. He knew the limits of his own power, and he knew the risks he took, but that wasn't going to stop him from taking action when he could see it was needed. Anyway, he would have to thank, and apologize to, Bayle as well.

Veran leaped forward, skirting a cluster of shadows as he rushed toward the towering Darkside. The next creatures to step into his path were swept away on the edge of Shadowsun, their slight forms evaporating at the touch of a keyblade.

As Veran reached the center of the rubble around the Darkside, his goal not twenty feet away, another keybearer leaped onto the creature's head and plunged his blade straight down. Then, light erupted from the point of entry on the Darkside's head. A Smiting Lance. Just the distraction that Veran needed to get into the monster's defenses.

He rushed forward, pulling on his reserves of energy from deep within, from the arcane wellspring he had been taught to find. The muscles in his arms corded in anticipation, the energy rushing through him like adrenaline.

He leaped.

Veran's momentum carried him up to were the bottom of the Darkside's rib cage would be, had it one. When he was close enough, he swung Shadowsun with all the might that his body and his magic could muster.

#24 ·
The ground around him shook as the after effects of his explosion met the rippling earth caused by the combined Quake spells that Rumbling Earth and his Dark Temple companion had called forth. He watched as the Darkside tried to keep it footing and he smiled as he watched it fail. In an explosion of noise and debris a huge skyscraper, a once glorious edifice of this planets civilization came crumbling to the ground, pulling the wretched Darkside down with it, burying the beast in rubble. From his position, Tav'eran had a clear view of the field of battle and a small amount of hope flared in his breast as he watched the creature of darkness fall. He had thrown himself into the fight, even though he knew that the odds of their small group besting a Darkside was slim. Perhaps he had underestimated his companions.

Lashing out with his gauntlet, as Elgahain had not yet returned to his grasp, he rent a lesser shade that had tried to flank him, thinking him unaware of its approach. Seeing that the shades seemed stunned at the fall of their leader he tore into them with blasts of dark energy and swipes of his vicious clawed gauntlet, slaying them without mercy as they lay in their confused stupor. They died in droves in the face of his assault, few putting up a feeble fight for their own survival. As Elgahain materialized in his hand, he readied himself for another forray into the mass of almost motionless shades with the ground itself began to tremble once more and a massive fist of darkness exploded out of the debris of the once grand building. Etheral tendrils of pitch black surrounded the appendage and Tav'eran, he earlier elation forgotten, watched in horror as the Darkside clawed its way from from its prison of metal and concrete to stand tall against them once more. It was as if the lesser Shadows were suddenly infused with berzerk energy and they once more began to flow toward the beleagured Keybearer's.

A feral snarl errupted from Tav'eran's lips as he met the horde and pushed them back. Focusing his power through Elgahain he became a blur of motion, his blades flickering and singing as they flashed through the air to find the etheral flesh of his foes. He speed was too much to for the lesser beast to over come and the trail behind him was littered with the corpses of the fallen. Their destruction was inconsequential at this point. High above him, the Darkside roared and lurched forward, Tav'eran knew he must reach it. He needed to help his breathren bring this wretched foe low.

Bursting into the small clearing that ringed the Darksides feet he found that he was not the first to arrive within striking distance of the beast. Kyranus and Rumbling Earth from his own temple had already engaged the Darkside. Kyranus had somehow scaled the things back and had driven the tip of his blade into the back of its head, unleashing a Smiting Lance as he did. Light and darkness mingled as the power of the Lance exploded out of the Darkside's face. Rumbling Earth, his heavy bladed axe was cutting deep gashes into the things legs and feet. A Temple of Light warrior was also there displaying the agility that Warriors of the Keyblade were famous for, leaping and vaulting he brought his blade to bear on the things abdomen.

Following suit Tav'eran leapt, somersaulting and twisting as he jumped from jutting spur of rubble to boulder top in an effort to get higher, to bring his attacks to the core of the beast. Leaping from the tallest point he could find he lauched himself at the Darkside, clawed gauntlet flashing out burying itself deep into the creatures side. Tav'eran, corded muscles straining, found himself dangling just below the Darkside's armpit. Twirling Elgahain into an underhanded grip he focused all the power he could, concentrating on the place were the things shrivled and corrupted heart would have been had it had one. He felt Elgahain begin to vibrate in his grip as if eager to find a weak point in the Darkside's anatomy. With a roar he plunged his blade as far as his considerable strength would allow into the creatures side, his Keyblade guiding his strike.

#25 ·
Hazim coughed the ash from his lungs and waved his arms wildly in a futile attempt to clear the dust and debris from the air; he could hardly see more than a few feet in front of himself, and he could still hear what was left standing succumbing to the unstoppable effects of gravity. Yet, the sudden blaze of light still caused flashes behind his eyelids, the unkept power and destructive force of the barrage launched by the light keybearers was truely something to behold, and Hazim was shocked that the Darkside, as powerful as it was, could survive even a single blow from such a strike. Clearing the dissipating edge of the cloud of ash, Hazim could see the almost demonic-like form of Magar as he slew all the shadows that lay before him, and that surrounded the apparently drained and exhausted light bearers, "Some warning next time? Please!" he cried, shaking his fist in the direction of two hulking forms closer to the edge of the battle, and obviously the cause of the most recent threat to Hazim's health. Once more gazing up at the two light bearers, Hazim felt a great deal of respect for his brethren, who had dealt such a telling blow to their foe. It was at that point, however, that a hand of the purest dark shot forth from the rubble, and a cry of inhuman fury erupted across the battlefield.

Hazim found himself joining his fellow keybearers as they launched their assault on the wounded monster, his attacks not nearly as telling as some of their own, but he would be damned if he wouldn't make them count. Hazim saw a man leap from a fallen structure, his keyblade humming with barely contained energy, and two more leaping up to target weak points in its torso. Hazim dashed past the flailing limbs of the Darkside, jabbing the short length of Saif into the ankles of the creature, attempting to bring it down; yet he could see that he was hardly a nuisance to the hulking form, he needed to get higher. Sprinting up the Darkside's legs, Hazim stabbed Saif into the weaker back of it's knee, feeling the blade easily penetrate as far as the hilt, and then begin to tear a great gash in the 'flesh'. Following through with the momentum of the strike, Hazim tore Saif from the Darkside before reaching out and sensing that characterisitc field that surrounded all things, yet only some could find; Hazim reached out with his mind and through gritted teeth, felt himself being wrenched forwards until he impacted the Darkside's other knee, Saif once more buried as far as it could go. By now Hazim could feel the faltering in the Darkside's step as his strikes took their toll, he knew that on their own they wouldn't stop the beast, or even come close, but perhaps in doing so he would allow the others to eliminate the foe.

#26 · (Edited)
As Dawn opened her eyes, she saw that she was at least still alive, although she felt like she was dead. She had underestimated how much strength it would take to keep both her and Veran shielded for such a length of time. It dawned on he that she had shut her eyes because she had been sure she was going to die from the attempt, and had it lasted any longer she may well have. Somewhat shaken, Dawn knelt on the ground as she pulled herself together and took some steady breaths to calm her nerves. She looked up at the monstrosity they were fighting and saw that it had been weakened by their combined efforts, which was at least something. She looked to her left and saw Veran considering his next move. His mind set, he dashed towards the Darkside, stopping only to give her a light tap on the shoulder that gave Dawn the impression that they had things to talk about, but that this was neither the time nor place to do so.

Emboldened by Veran's determination, Dawn slowly rose to her feet and swept her hair over her shoulder as she considered what to do now. She knew her only option, like it or not, was to assist in attacking the Darkside lest she be shunned by her companions. All she wanted was a long, hot shower and a comfortable bed to lie in to relieve the stress and pain, but there would be time enough for that later. She shook the thoughts of comfort from her head as she focused on the task at hand. A Fever Pitch was her best shot at attempting to harm the creature of darkness. Her mind made up, she sprinted after Veran towards the Darkside.

As she ran though, she considered how much strength she had left to use and whether it would be enough to sustain a Fever Pitch. A frown emerged on her face as she realized she might fail to use Fever Pitch and leave herself vulnerable to being attacked.

What choice did she have? she thought.

She had to help the other Keybearers bring down the Darkside before it destroyed Destora and she refused to let them down.

When she was a few meters from the Darkside, she took a deep breath as she glanced down at the heart pendant around her neck. Dawn recalled the fury from that day and it occurred to her this was what Saurn had meant, all that time ago. She knew that she had to use the rage to aid her in her attempt to harm the Darkside and aid the citizens of Destora. She reached deep inside herself to the place where she had locked those memories away and harnessed the raw emotion that accompanied them. With a roar, she lept at the Darkside when a brilliant beam of white light pierced the Darkside’s head, which gave her an idea. Determined to cause as much damage to the creature as possible, she proceeded to run up the creature’s torso towards its head and yelled to the heavens as she launched a Fever Pitch with as much strength as she could muster, focusing on the area that had been hit with the Lance. Her subconscious noted that her attempt was incredibly risky, but she cared not. As long as they stopped it, she didn’t care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.