Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Hell is Empty: A Superhero RP (Recruitment)

8K views 122 replies 12 participants last post by  Santaire 
#1 · (Edited)
Hell is Empty
A Superhero Roleplay

A hero is a man who does what he can.
-Romain Rolland-

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-Albert Einstein-

The year is 1931. The Great Depression has crippled the United States and the world. Unemployment is at an all-time high, and the War to End All Wars still lingers in the minds of many. Crime festers in American streets due to unemployment and economic troubles, and law enforcement is too preoccupied to deal with all of it. Urban decay is at an all-time high, and nowhere is it higher than the city of Dustbowl, Ohio, a sprawling urban metropolis of 7 million people in the American Midwest. The police are blind to the crime in the streets, and the politicians are too busy worrying about their own money to care about the common man.

But there are those who would fight. Those who would fight for the justice and freedom of the common man, or those who would fight for the sadism of intentional harm. Those who would take the law into their own hands and clean up the streets, or those who would see the walls of society crumble at their whims. Those who would raise a city or knock it down. Those who would save and those who would condemn. Those who defend and those who destroy. Heroes, and villains.

YOU are a superhero, for lack of a better term. A hero, villain, or rogue who is seeking to don a different outfit and fight crime for whatever reason, be it justice, personal gain, or pure chaos. Each of you will be operating independently to begin with, but you may form alliances and gain nemeses as the story progresses. Your actions and personalities dictate the world around you, and your every move shapes Dustbowl as it struggles through the Great Depression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, onto the rules:

1) Minimum of ten DECENT QUALITY sentences per post. I cannot stress this enough!
2) Please, PLEASE try to use good grammar. If you’re not the best at this, at least make yourself understandable.
3) NO driving the story in a completely different direction than the story is going just because not much is going on. If there is little action, try interacting with the characters in a way like ordinary conversation. Don’t resort to pushing the story along yourself; that’s my job :)
4) Have fun with it! Imagine your character as if this was an intense crime movie; give him (or her) personality, a unique appearance. Make them memorable!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be portraying, along with various NPCs, a masked vigilante, The Wraith. His character sheet will be an example of how to model yours:

Real Name (self explanatory): Anders Fjelstaad

Nationality (Immigrants are common at this time in the US, so specify if you are American or come from another country): Swedish

Alias: The Wraith

Age (self-explanatory): 31

Physical Appearance (self-explanatory): Anders is an extremely unremarkable man in terms of his physical appearance. He is of average height and weight, with brown eyes and straw-blonde hair. His skin is extremely pale and devoid of scars, freckles, birthmarks, or moles. He has a closely cropped mustache and goatee, and grooms himself very carefully. His voice is very soft, and he mumbles and avoids eye contact when he speaks.

Alias Appearance (for lack of a better term, costume): The Wraith dresses in an entirely grey double-breasted business suit. He wears a thin mask over his face that makes his face unable to be seen, but he can see out of it. He wears a grey, frumpy fedora with a small paperclip clipped to the ribbon. On his hands are black felt gloves, and he wears clean, thin black shoes.

Equipment: FN 1903 pistol, flashlight, knife, mirror, magnifying glass, clothes

Powers (if none, simply write none. Also explain here where/how your character got their powers): Anders has the ability to become completely silent. He activate this ability with his mind, and anything his body or his clothes do becomes completely soundless. However, it is not extended to actions created by objects he impacts; for example, he would be totally silent walking down a hall, but not shooting a gun or knocking over a vase. Anders was born with this power, and learned to harness it at an early age; however, he kept it a secret, as he was afraid of how people would react if he told them.

A word on superpowers: Your powers should play a minor role in this roleplay. Your character should be dictating the action, not your abilities. As such, all powers must be approved by me, and cannot be too powerful. For example, anything as powerful as abilities such as time travel, Flash-like speed, invulnerability, etc will not be allowed. But minor abilities, like the Wraith’s silence (see below), are the type of power that is acceptable. Note that you don’t even need a power if you don’t want one – look at Batman!

Personality (self-explanatory): Anders is an extremely quiet and timid person when not in costume. He is always acting as the negotiator between people when there is an argument, and is extremely shy around new people. His patience has seemingly no end, and he is known by all his friends and acquaintances as the “yes man” of their social circle. However, when in his costume as the Wraith, Anders lets his inner frustrations come forth. As the Wraith, he is cruel, angry, vindictive, and petty. He is easily frustrated, but willing to put his nose to the grindstone and accomplish his goals, whatever the cost.

Alignment (Hero, Villain, or Rogue [neutral/neither]. Note that a hero is not necessarily morally just, or a villain necessarily morally wrong. Please also explain why): Rogue. Anders uses his powers to achieve his own goals, and these goals change from time to time. Sometimes he may help a man getting mugged in the street if he pities the victim. Other times he is the mugger, whether he is low on money or simply angry. His actions are seemingly random, and only he knows how he will really behave.

Background (self-explanatory. Focus especially on how the great depression has affected you, why you came to America if you are an immigrant, and why you chose to fight crime): Anders was born en route to the U.S. in 1900 by two Swedish immigrants who came to the U.S. to fulfill their idea of the American dream. Both of his parents live in New York, but Anders moved to Dustbowl and severed all contact with them after dropping out of high school to get a job as a factory worker in the Dustbowl branch of Atlas Automotive, the biggest car brand behind Ford. Anders chose to fight crime after seeing his first and current girlfriend Stacy beaten nearly to death by two muggers who took three dollars from her as she lay bleeding on the pavement. Anders was too scared to fight the muggers and hid in a nearby alley and watched, but through either bravery or self-loathing realized he was sick of being a coward and vowed to dispense his own brand of “justice” to the Dustbowl streets.

I will be accepting a maximum of twelve people in this RP. No more, and once the RP has started, there are no more entrants, unless an original member drops out.

Good luck and have fun making your hero or villain!

Accepted members:
Midge913 - Fiona O'Callaghan/Oblivion
Jackinator - Anya Ivanovna Antipova/Janis
yoyoyo12365 - Jack Walters/Masquerade
Santaire - Connor Finn/Viper
Firedamaged - William 'Bill' Jugson/Sinopa
Thebluemage2 - Albert Woodson/Hail
Akatsuki13 - William McCutcheon/The Fool
Jerek Carstien - Jason Scott/John Smith

See less See more
#3 ·
Karak, he has already answered that question.

A word on superpowers: Your powers should play a minor role in this roleplay. Your character should be dictating the action, not your abilities. As such, all powers must be approved by me, and cannot be too powerful. For example, anything as powerful as abilities such as time travel, Flash-like speed, invulnerability, etc will not be allowed. But minor abilities, like the Wraith’s silence (see below), are the type of power that is acceptable. Note that you don’t even need a power if you don’t want one – look at Batman!

#5 ·
Well give me an example of a power you would have a question about.

#7 ·
It would depend on the limitations of the lycanthropy. At-will and controllable? No. Under the full moon like a raving lunatic? Possibly.

#9 ·
It sounds reasonable so far, but I'd have to reserve judgement until I see a character sheet .

#11 ·
Again, if you can elaborate on the nature of these I would be more inclined to give an opinion. Initially, I am more willing to allow telepathy than telekinesis, but again, I'd need more information.

#13 ·
Elabourate :)

#14 ·
So the vampire needs to drink blood to avoid their more bestial appearance (scary-looking face, red eyes, fangs etc.) becoming more prominent. Also, lack of blood drinking can make sunlight render the vampire weakened and possibly injured. On the plus side, has more acute senses and is incredibly athletic and surprisingly strong.

Is that specific enough or do you need more information? I have a very elaborate character idea but don't want to spill all the beans just yet. :laugh:

EDIT: I also have an idea for how the "power" can develop, if this sort of thing will be allowed.

#17 · (Edited)
Is that specific enough or do you need more information? I have a very elaborate character idea but don't want to spill all the beans just yet. :laugh:

EDIT: I also have an idea for how the "power" can develop, if this sort of thing will be allowed.
Send me a PM detailing your ideas :)

I will probably throw up a character for this. I am going back and forth on what kind of power I want so I will be sending you a PM regarding my ideas.
Sure thing mate :eek:k:

Nationality: Russian

Alias: Janis

Physical appearance: Anya is... striking. Tall and slim, she looks like she works out and often draws the eye of every man in the room, something she uses to her advantage. He hair is long and pale blonde, framing icy blue eyes that seem to penetrate the very soul.

Alias Apperance: Janis is every bit as striking as Anya, but far more menacing than Anya could ever be. A long black trenchcoat, similar to that of a Russian Commissar, but tailored to her frame. Beneath that she wears a tight fitting but non-restricting catsuit that is half white, half black, divided down the middle. Her face is concealed by a half-face mask, covering her mouth and cheekbones, that is also divided, half white, half black, but in opposite sides to her suit.

Equipment: FN Model 1910, as the gun which essentially launched the 1st world war Janis uses it for sentimental reasons, namely as the first world war changed the face of the earth and society, and that is precisely what she is trying to do. Long, boot concealed stilletto. Another classic assasination weapon, something utilised by assassins over the centuries to intitiate regime change.

Powers: Janis is, to say the least, a genius. As Anya she holds several doctorates under various aliases in subjects from Ancient Greek to Advanced Physics. Other than that she is relatively unremarkable, capable of planning and pulling off complex and near unpredicatable schemes and plots while possessing a fund of knowledge near unrivalled and an analysing mind to think her way out of various traps and situations.

Personality: Anya is not one for friends, despite the powers of her analytical mind she often has trouble not talking down to people, she sees herself as superior in almost everyway. The fact that she is stark staring mad doesn't help, talking to herself and displaying classic paranoid delusions. Janis is not entirely Anya, a secret hidden deep in the recesses of her own psyche and while she is aware of her presence, she has no idea just what she gets up to when in control of her body, Janis is careful to ensure that.

Alignment: Villain - Janis is obsessed with the concept of the transition of the world to a bright new era. How she does it doesn't matter, but she is now planning on trialing plans in Dustbowl, to the complete ignorance of Anya of course.

Background: Anya was the daughter of a prominent scholar within the Soviet Union, both her parents were caring and brought her up to be the same. Unfortunately the educated were not popular with the communist regime and it wasn't long before KGB turned up at the door. Both her parents were murdered in front of her and Anya was shot in the head while attempting to flee.

The bullet did not kill her though, it entered her head just behind the ear and lodged there. Perhaps it was this that created Janis or perhaps she had been hiding deep in Anya's mind and this threat brought her to the surface. Regardless of the why's or how's the two KGB agents were very surprised when the supposedly dead girl reared up, snatched the pistol and shot them both dead.

She fled the scene, and it wasn't long before Janis managed to contact an underground organisation that agreed to smuggle her out of the Union. She traveled to Europe under a false name, learning German and English on the way before settling in Britain. She studied at Oxford and Cambridge, obtaining doctorates at both universities before moving on to France. There she continued her studies and developed a fascination with Greek Mythology, particularly the Greek God Janus. This was when Janis obtained her moniker. Where Anya was unsettlingly mad, Janis was something else and became obsessed with the concept of transitions, believing that it is her duty to move the world into a new era of enlightenment. Figuring that the rising power of America was the best place to start she left everything and travelled to the land of the free.
Your character is good except for one niggly little detail. Since the Soviet Union was founded in 1922, you and your parents would have grown up during the Revolution and the First World War, not in Soviet Russia. Just a bit of a niggle there. Also, Janus is Roman, not Greek.

Fix that up and you're good to go :victory:

#15 ·
I will probably throw up a character for this. I am going back and forth on what kind of power I want so I will be sending you a PM regarding my ideas.

#16 · (Edited)

Nationality: Russian

Alias: Janis

Physical appearance: Anya is... striking. Tall and slim, she looks like she works out and often draws the eye of every man in the room, something she uses to her advantage. He hair is long and pale blonde, framing icy blue eyes that seem to penetrate the very soul.

Alias Apperance: Janis is every bit as striking as Anya, but far more menacing than Anya could ever be. A long black trenchcoat, similar to that of a Russian Commissar, but tailored to her frame. Beneath that she wears a tight fitting but non-restricting catsuit that is half white, half black, divided down the middle. Her face is concealed by a half-face mask, covering her mouth and cheekbones, that is also divided, half white, half black, but in opposite sides to her suit.

Equipment: FN Model 1910, as the gun which essentially launched the 1st world war Janis uses it for sentimental reasons, namely as the first world war changed the face of the earth and society, and that is precisely what she is trying to do. Long, boot concealed stilletto. Another classic assasination weapon, something utilised by assassins over the centuries to intitiate regime change.

Powers: Janis is, to say the least, a genius. As Anya she holds several doctorates under various aliases in subjects from Ancient Greek to Advanced Physics. Other than that she is relatively unremarkable, capable of planning and pulling off complex and near unpredicatable schemes and plots while possessing a fund of knowledge near unrivalled and an analysing mind to think her way out of various traps and situations.

Personality: Anya is not one for friends, despite the powers of her analytical mind she often has trouble not talking down to people, she sees herself as superior in almost everyway. The fact that she is stark staring mad doesn't help, talking to herself and displaying classic paranoid delusions. Janis is not entirely Anya, a secret hidden deep in the recesses of her own psyche and while she is aware of her presence, she has no idea just what she gets up to when in control of her body, Janis is careful to ensure that.

Alignment: Villain - Janis is obsessed with the concept of the transition of the world to a bright new era. How she does it doesn't matter, but she is now planning on trialing plans in Dustbowl, to the complete ignorance of Anya of course.

Background: Anya was the daughter of a prominent scholar within the Soviet Union, having grown up during the Great War and the Russian Revolution, perhaps this was where Janis first became to take root in Anya's subconscious. Both her parents were caring and brought her up to be the same. Unfortunately the educated were not popular with the communist regime and it wasn't long before KGB turned up at the door. Both her parents were murdered in front of her and Anya was shot in the head while attempting to flee.

The bullet did not kill her though, it entered her head just behind the ear and lodged there. Perhaps it was this that created Janis or perhaps she had been hiding deep in Anya's mind and this threat brought her to the surface. Regardless of the why's or how's the two KGB agents were very surprised when the supposedly dead girl reared up, snatched the pistol and shot them both dead.

She fled the scene, and it wasn't long before Janis managed to contact an underground organisation that agreed to smuggle her out of the Union. She traveled to Europe under a false name, learning German and English on the way before settling in Britain. She studied at Oxford and Cambridge, obtaining doctorates at both universities before moving on to France. There she continued her studies and developed a fascination with Roman Mythology, particularly the god Janus. This was when Janis obtained her moniker. Where Anya was unsettlingly mad, Janis was something else and became obsessed with the concept of transitions, believing that it is her duty to move the world into a new era of enlightenment. Figuring that the rising power of America was the best place to start she left everything and travelled to the land of the free.

#18 · (Edited)
True about Janus, my bad. But I never said she was born in the Union, merely that she lived in it. If the current date is 1931, then the founding of the union (1922) is 9 years ago. She was 15 and thus, a girl. I simply didn't bring up the previous part of her life although now I come to think of it the revolution will add to the character of Janis, but there were no historical/chronological innaccuracies. Nonetheless I have clarified :).

#19 ·
This looks really good so far. Quick question on acceptable powers and I'll throw up a character sheet, if you'll have me.
Simple yes/no as to acceptability for a few ideas I've had (obviously not all in the same character, just trying to keep options as open as possible);
Extremely short range teleportation (no more than a few feet or from one side of a wall to another)
Wall crawling, a la spiderman or nightcrawler
Chameleonic skin (must remain immobile to achieve)
Enhanced Reflexes.
Also, one last thing with regards to the alias appearance. Does it have to be a fixed feature from the start or is it subject to development? As it stands it looks as though characters are going to be pre-established in this universe, but I was thinking of perhaps a character just coming into their powers or only recently deciding to go vigilante with them and developing from there.
Anyway, this looks great so far, can't wait to see where it goes.

#20 ·
I have an idea for viewing the future. However it is not going to be anything actually helpful in combat situations and can leave the character feeling nervous and ill. Also it would be random, no way to control the visions. It would tend to be in vague dreams while asleep however when close to the location of major events they would begin to get clearer and more frequent. What do you think?

#26 ·
This would be fine as long as you emphasize the illness and nervousness.

#21 ·
It seems I have some kind of memory-loss or something. I cannot for the life of me remember the character idea I had, other than it being a vampire. Can't even remember gender or anything. It's most frustrating. :ireful2:

I will try and sort myself out (this is really weird, I never normally forget things like this!) and get back to you, Scath. This RP looks very interesting indeed and hopefully I will have enough time to commit to it. (And enough brain-cells for some basic memory allocation...!)

#24 ·
No worries mate :eek:k:

Thinking of joining this...
What do you think of the ability to create small illusions?
Like making it look like there's a spider when there's not, or making a silver coin look gold.
Small things, but could always be useful.
Sounds perfectly fine.

Here is my character:

Nationality: Irish descent

Alias: Oblivion

Physical Appearance: Fiona stands about 5'9, weighing about 155 pounds, she is a strikingly beautiful woman. Her rich auburn hair falls to below her shoulders and her green eyes sparkle with a mischievous glint, that is almost irresistable. Her face is dotted with a few freckles, but other than that she is a ruggedly healthy vibrant woman, used to a hard days work. She is an exuberant person, her face constantly smiling with a few crease marks just starting to show at the corners of her mouth and eyes. Evidence of years of laughter and joy.

Alias Appearance: When taking on the persona of her alter ego, Fiona dons close fitting black pants tucked into knee high black boots, a white silk shirt, also close fitting, and a black trench coat that fits her torso like a glove while flaring out over her hips and falling to mid-thigh. See wears black leather gloves and a wide brimmed black fedora. Over her eyes and cheek bones she dons a simple black mask, that while concealing her identity leaves her eyes completely clear of obstruction.

Equipment: Two Colt 1911 45 calibre pistols carried in shoulder rigs over her overcoat, utility belt with 4 extra magazines for each pistol, a small flashlight, and a large bowie fighting knife carried upsidedown in a sheathe in the middle of her back. She also carries a set of lockpicks and a glass cutter.

Powers: Fiona has the ability to hypnotically influence other individuals. Born with this ability, and one that she used on her father many times early in her life, she uses it to further her goals of theivery, confidence, and burglary. Once she has made eye contact with her target she can implant suggestions that the person has no ability to resist. She can cause the person to forget several moments, carry out simple actions and commands, and become more amenable to Fiona's influence. She is unable to cause any of her targets direct harm with this ability, any previous attempts to do so have just short circuited the persons mind temporarily and have caused them to pass out into a deep sleep. But she has been known to convince people she was never in a place, induce them into turning possessions over to her believing that she was the rightful owner, and have security guards disregard her and go about their business with a well placed gaze and word.

Personality: As said already Fiona is an outgoing exuberant person. She is the center of attention where-ever she goes, draws people in with her easy-going, friendly manner. What they don't see is the devious, treacherous person that lies beneath her smiles and laughter. She desires nothing from others other than what is beneficial for her and her goal is to further line her pockets with their hard earned money so she can continue to live in the lap of luxury. She doens't really care who gets in her way when she sets her mind on a goal, but she does her best to avoid collateral damage, using here abilities to keep people out of harms way. That being said she is remorseless regarding her activities, regardless of who may get hurt along the way. The foremost goal in her mind is to further her own devices.

Alignment: Rogue. Fiona sees herself as a balancer. Criminal elements that are growing within the city are often the targets of her cons and thefts, just as much as private citizens are. She often finds that her scores are much better when targeting these groups, but that the jobs tend to be noiser and draw more attention.

Background: Born to Erin and Patrick O'Callaghan in 1905, in Boston, Fiona grew up amongst the irish criminal element there. Her parents had immigrated from Irelond about 4 years before her birth, and Patrick worked as a lietenant in the Gustin Gang, working directly for the infamous Frank Wallace. Her parents, entrenched in the lifestyle of the gang since the old country, worked as bootleggers and whiskey runners running a route from Boston to Chicago. Often taking Fiona along. During the course of their activities Patrick discovered that his daughter displayed an extraordinary ability to manipulate people. Often, even as young as the age of 6, Fiona was able to weasle more money out of shipments and deliveries, convince law enforcement, as much as it was during that tumultuous time, and that they were simply conveying stock goods across the mid-west.

Her life was to change when she was sixteen when her father was murdered by a rival gang member in a bid for power. The experience completely changed her on a base level. From that point on all she thought about was gratifying herself and her impulses. She sought out the man who had killed her father, and convinced him to give her all his wealth before she shot him three times in the heart. An almost metaphoric act for what he had done to her by killing her father. She took the money, and she and her mother fled to Ohio, trying to escape the reach of the Gustin Gang.

In Dustbowl she compleletly immersed herself into a life of crime, becoming a excellent con woman, thief and burglar through the use of her abilities. Not long after she arrived there she became a professional whose skills became highly sought after. She has been living the high of an adrenaline filled high life ever since, doing everything that she can to reap the benefit of the chaos that has fallen over the city in which she lives and operates.

Let me know if I need to change anything.
Good to go :eek:k:

#23 ·
Here is my character:

Nationality: Irish descent

Alias: Oblivion

Physical Appearance: Fiona stands about 5'9, weighing about 155 pounds, she is a strikingly beautiful woman. Her rich auburn hair falls to below her shoulders and her green eyes sparkle with a mischievous glint, that is almost irresistable. Her face is dotted with a few freckles, but other than that she is a ruggedly healthy vibrant woman, used to a hard days work. She is an exuberant person, her face constantly smiling with a few crease marks just starting to show at the corners of her mouth and eyes. Evidence of years of laughter and joy.

Alias Appearance: When taking on the persona of her alter ego, Fiona dons close fitting black pants tucked into knee high black boots, a white silk shirt, also close fitting, and a black trench coat that fits her torso like a glove while flaring out over her hips and falling to mid-thigh. See wears black leather gloves and a wide brimmed black fedora. Over her eyes and cheek bones she dons a simple black mask, that while concealing her identity leaves her eyes completely clear of obstruction.

Equipment: Two Colt 1911 45 calibre pistols carried in shoulder rigs over her overcoat, utility belt with 4 extra magazines for each pistol, a small flashlight, and a large bowie fighting knife carried upsidedown in a sheathe in the middle of her back. She also carries a set of lockpicks and a glass cutter.

Powers: Fiona has the ability to hypnotically influence other individuals. Born with this ability, and one that she used on her father many times early in her life, she uses it to further her goals of theivery, confidence, and burglary. Once she has made eye contact with her target she can implant suggestions that the person has no ability to resist. She can cause the person to forget several moments, carry out simple actions and commands, and become more amenable to Fiona's influence. She is unable to cause any of her targets direct harm with this ability, any previous attempts to do so have just short circuited the persons mind temporarily and have caused them to pass out into a deep sleep. But she has been known to convince people she was never in a place, induce them into turning possessions over to her believing that she was the rightful owner, and have security guards disregard her and go about their business with a well placed gaze and word.

Personality: As said already Fiona is an outgoing exuberant person. She is the center of attention where-ever she goes, draws people in with her easy-going, friendly manner. What they don't see is the devious, treacherous person that lies beneath her smiles and laughter. She desires nothing from others other than what is beneficial for her and her goal is to further line her pockets with their hard earned money so she can continue to live in the lap of luxury. She doens't really care who gets in her way when she sets her mind on a goal, but she does her best to avoid collateral damage, using here abilities to keep people out of harms way. That being said she is remorseless regarding her activities, regardless of who may get hurt along the way. The foremost goal in her mind is to further her own devices.

Alignment: Rogue. Fiona sees herself as a balancer. Criminal elements that are growing within the city are often the targets of her cons and thefts, just as much as private citizens are. She often finds that her scores are much better when targeting these groups, but that the jobs tend to be noiser and draw more attention.

Background: Born to Erin and Patrick O'Callaghan in 1905, in Boston, Fiona grew up amongst the irish criminal element there. Her parents had immigrated from Irelond about 4 years before her birth, and Patrick worked as a lietenant in the Gustin Gang, working directly for the infamous Frank Wallace. Her parents, entrenched in the lifestyle of the gang since the old country, worked as bootleggers and whiskey runners running a route from Boston to Chicago. Often taking Fiona along. During the course of their activities Patrick discovered that his daughter displayed an extraordinary ability to manipulate people. Often, even as young as the age of 6, Fiona was able to weasle more money out of shipments and deliveries, convince law enforcement, as much as it was during that tumultuous time, and that they were simply conveying stock goods across the mid-west.

Her life was to change when she was sixteen when her father was murdered by a rival gang member in a bid for power. The experience completely changed her on a base level. From that point on all she thought about was gratifying herself and her impulses. She sought out the man who had killed her father, and convinced him to give her all his wealth before she shot him three times in the heart. An almost metaphoric act for what he had done to her by killing her father. She took the money, and she and her mother fled to Ohio, trying to escape the reach of the Gustin Gang.

In Dustbowl she compleletly immersed herself into a life of crime, becoming a excellent con woman, thief and burglar through the use of her abilities. Not long after she arrived there she became a professional whose skills became highly sought after. She has been living the high of an adrenaline filled high life ever since, doing everything that she can to reap the benefit of the chaos that has fallen over the city in which she lives and operates.

Let me know if I need to change anything.

#25 ·
Scaithan, you haven't answered my question at the end of page 2

#27 ·

Nationality: British

Alias: Masquerade

Physical Appearance: Jack is tall at 6'2", well muscled, and dashingly handsome. Weighing in at a reasonable 194 pounds. He hasn't been able to cut his hair since the depression set in, and is starting to enjoy the way he looks with it long. He has deep green eyes, and brown hair. Somehow, though, during the day he seems small and meek, almost as if he were scared of his own shadow.

Alias Appearance: Masquerade wears black slacks, dress shoes, a purple dress shirt with a black vest over-top, and a black fedora. Over his face, he wears a black mask that ties in the back, covering all but his eyes, and allowing his hair to flow freely. His eyes are, when interacting with another person, bright orange. Another part of his facade is a straight black cane, with a silver embossed handle.

Equipment: Colt M1911 pistol, flashlight, sword cane, dice, clothes.

Powers: Jack has, for as long as he can remember, been able to create small illusions with his mind. He has, in recent times, been able to harness this to help him become Masquerade. He has found that small illusions are his forte, and the larger it is, the harder it is to maintain. It is impossible for him to sustain anything larger than a rat for more than a moment or two. Small illusions (such as turning his eyes bright orange) are simple for him to create and sustain for up to 2 hours. After sustaining any illusion for its maximum time, he becomes fatigued by the mental stress of it.

Personality: Jack spends his day pretending to be about as shy as a person can be. He actually jumps at his own shadow, and he has no job. He makes himself an unremarkable character, because he knows that he would be killed if anybody were to be discovered him as Masquerade. Nobody would guess by looking at him, but he's not an entirely stable-minded person. The only time that he seems to be truly "normal," is when he becomes Masquerade. He says that Masquerade is his true identity, and that his daily life is all just that, a masquerade.

Alignment: Rogue. When he goes out at night, he steals, he gambles and cheats, and he assaults random persons that he believes may have money. Some nights, he goes out and helps criminals do as they please, if offered a cut. Some nights, he will stop any criminal activity he sees, and take any valuables they had on them. Criminals know to avoid him when they can, but they also know that he can be of great help to them.

Background: Jack was born in Britain, and had a rather good childhood, his family wealthy enough to pay him into private schooling. In school, he was taught swordplay, and it was what he looked forward to every day, and it was the one thing in school that he excelled at. Unfortunately, his grades were very unlike his swordplay, and he was kicked from the school at 15.
The embarrassment was very serious for his family, and they seemed to blame him for everything after he returned home. At the age of 16, he ran away from home. After wandering for months, he was taken in by a group of traveling performers who needed a replacement swordsman for their play.
During his time with the troupe, he honed his skills with a blade, and saved as much money as he could. When he had a very decent amount of money, he went out and purchased a sword of his own. A black cane with a silver embossed handle; with a twist and a click, he drew the straight thin blade.
Eventually, the troupe decided they would take their act to America, where the economy was booming. Jack went with them, enjoying the company of his fellow performers, who had become like a family to him.
Their first few months in America went very well for them, until Black Tuesday.
On that day, they were passing through Dustbowl, Ohio when the depression set in. On that day, they were attacked. People were rioting, and they came upon the troupe. Jack was the only survivor. He watched, helpless, as his friends were beat to death. That day, something snapped within Jack.
He was no longer Jack Walters. He was Masquerade. He pretended by day to be something he was not, and by night he took off his disguise, and became what he is today.

#28 ·
You're good to go, as is Santaire who sent me his character in a PM.

#29 · (Edited)
What do you think?

Nationality: Irish

Alias Name: Viper

Physical appearance: Tall, thin and hard. Years of hard work have stripped all fat from his body, leaving nothing but solid muscle. However despite this he is nervous and jittery due to his visions. This gives him the appearance of an emaciated youth who is too weak to fight back and often falling ill. All around pathetic. This is not true, at least when he falls into his alias personality. He tends to hunch over and avoid meeting people’s eyes.

Alias appearance: Viper is no mystical body double of Connor Finn, he is simply a state of mind where Connor has begun to receive visions alarmingly often and has accepted their presence. When he does this he is much more defiant and determined. Indeed most people would not recognize him at first sight. He stays in almost the exact same clothes as he was before switching mindset, the only difference being a black mask that hides his face. He tends to straighten his back and begins to gaze people in the eyes rather than avoiding them as he usually does

Equipment: Browning HP pistol, throwing knives and a KA-BAR combat knife. However these are just the weapons he can always be found carrying, due to his succesful gun store he could turn up at your doorstep with anything from a cut down Thompson sub machine gun to an RPG. However he tends to stick with smaller weapons, the largest one he carries being a normal thompson

Powers: Foresight. A power that has been as much a hinder as a help. Most people would give everything they own to possess it, Connor would give everything he owns to be rid of it. It is random and impossible for him to control, the only hint he gets being a faint feeling of nausea just before a vision. The more vague the vision is, the worse he feels when it ends as his mind struggles to decipher the meaning behind it.

Personality: Used to injuries both minor and small. In other words, anything from a sprained ankle to a broken leg is no surprise to him. This give up attitude to pain has left Connor very cynical and insulting, frequently without realising it. He can always be relied upon to give the worst case scenario, simply because that is the one he sees in his visions. This has led to many finding out what he knows and then leaving him behind in fear of his cynical attitude making the rest of their group nervous. He is no stranger to crime; indeed he commits it regularly but anything that causes his visions to go haywire he will stop, no question about it. However immediately after waking he feels ill and nervous and this feeling continues for another few hours, severely hampering his ability to fight.

Alignment: Rogue

Background: Born in Ireland, his early years past swiftly and were forgotten just as quick. His family came to America to find their fortune, they found their death instead. Connor was the only survivor of the raid that killed his family and it was soon after this that his visions started. He lived as a street urchin but every so often something would obscure his view. A man in a Kevlar body suit typing the commands into a bomb. As Connor was driven deeper into the city by boys who had taken a disliking to him his visions began to come much faster and so clear that he could pick out the perspiration on the man’s forehead.

He lived right next to a factory and one night men entered the run down building dragging a large crate. Then, once inside they opened it. Connor got the shock of his life for inside it was the exact same bomb he had seen in his vision, a nuclear bomb. This man was trying to turn Dustbowl into just so much radioactive slop. Born there or not Connor was not going to let that happen. He tried the police, nothing. They just kicked him out into the street and shut the door. He tried everyone he knew but still nothing worked. Then he started his life of crime. He tried one of the most powerful gangs in Dustbowl. They listened, shocked but they listened. Then they sent a group to the factory. Their remains were sent back in a sack. Big mistake!

One of the team had been the gang leader’s son and he called in as many favours as he could in order to send a huge force to the factory. When they arrived the man Connor had seen in his vision was walking towards the nuclear bomb. He glanced up, nodded and the trap was sprung. The gangers were cut down in a huge crossfire and barely any of them survived. A sudden vision had warned Connor and so he had dropped. He crawled to the leader and slipped the 44. Magnum from its holster.

Then he snapped it up and fired. It was the first time he had fired a gun and the shot went wide. Connor unloaded the clip in the right direction and the 6 remaining bullets hurtled forwards. One of them struck the enemy leader in the chest. The high calibre shell went through his armour as if it were parchment. Half his chest missing the man collapsed and Connor fled, taking the Magnum with him. He grew to understand and come to terms with his gift for foresight. People no longer trust him for anything other than information, not that he cares...

#30 ·
I already approved you mate, read my previous post :)

#31 ·
Is this still open? If so I'd like to submit a character.

Name: William 'Bill' Jugson

Nationality: American

Alias: Sinopa

Appearance: Around five foot ten inches tall, Bill has a very weathered face from long term exposure to the elements, dark brown hair, cut short, and green eyes. Usually dressed in a tartan shirt, denim or canvas pants, a long duster coat and sturdy boots, he exudes a very rural impression to anyone who sees him.

Alias Appearance: Sinopa or 'Fox' to anyone not of the Blackfoot clan, is seen to wear a long, reddish-brown greatcoat, his face obscured by a simple black balaclava when not hidden in the shadow of his coat's hood. Eyes hidden behind thick miner's goggles leave none of his facial features showing at all, giving him a grim and impersonal visage. Beneath the coat hides a tanned buckskin war shirt, leather leggings and brown boots. Over his chest, under the coat but over the war shirt are two crossed bandoleers, one of ammo, the other holding several pouches of herbs. The last, but by no means least, addition to the ensemble is a 6 foot staff of gnarled, blackened oak.

Equipment: Colt New Service Revolver with .357 magnum ammunition, flint & tinder, variety of traditional herbs such as feverfew, black cherry roots, willow bark etc. (mostly for mild sedation/quick pain relief), hunting knife, 6 foot staff of 'lightning oak'.

Powers: Animal affinity; the ability to just about understand and make himself understood to most animals, but not outright communicate with them. Bill's powers, such as they are, manifested during his time amongst the people of the Blackfoot clan. Guided by the mystics of the tribe, he was taught of their beliefs of the animal spirits and how the tribe interacted with them. Only spending a short time amongst the tribe, Bill gained merely a kind of affinity with animals after being allowed to take part in a single 'spirit-walk' ritual.

Personality: Bill is an extremely friendly and good-natured man with a predilection towards animals of all kinds. Rough & ready, boisterous and honest, Bill is the typical 'friend to all' at the local bar, he keeps dogs and is always available should you need a favour. As Sinopa, however he puts on a cold, impersonal and unwavering front in pursuit of what he sees as justice. Opening up slowly to any he regards as his allies he occasionally lets some of his normal personality slip through despite his attempts at an emotionless mask.

Alignment: Hero. Sinopa fights against the criminals and abusers of Dustbowl according to the law and his own moral code. He does, however, make no distinction between animals and humans, his beliefs and experiences subconsciously guiding him to treat both as equals, cruelty towards a dog or horse being just as heinous as one against a man in his eyes.

Background: William Jugson was born to unknown parents and raised out on a cattle-farm, where he was abandoned for all of his early life. Employed as a ranch-hand, he lived through the decline and finally the end of the open range. He would probably have spent his life there had the landowner not ordered his pastures extended into the nearby Indian reservation. A great conflict arose and claimed the lives of many on both sides as it escalated. Finally the landowner, afraid that the disturbances would draw the attention of the law, sent Bill in to try and make peace with the tribe. An unfortunate confrontation with a young hunter and a black bear on the way to the tribe left Bill gravely injured and comatose for several days. Taken back to the tribe by the hunter, after the bear had been suitably subdued, Bill was healed of his wounds and eventually came to in the hut of one of the native elders. After explaining the situation and his employer's offer to sue for peace, Bill was brought before the leader of the tribe. The man, after a long debate with his people, asked whether Bill would be willing to learn of their ways, in the hope that a mutual understanding of their peoples would prevent such conflict arising in the future. Bill agreed to be an informal sort of ambassador for what he leaned was the Blackfoot tribe of native americans and began what was meant to be a brief instruction into their ways and beliefs. Bill stayed for longer than he or they anticipated, befriending most of the tribe easily and reluctant to leave. During his time with them he was given a Cherokee name; 'Sinopa', which meant 'fox' and, at the culmination of his time amongst them, was allowed to partake in a sacred 'spirit-walk'. The ritual involved dancing, singing and the smoking of sacred herbs and once completed, left Bill feeling more in tune with nature's creatures than he had thought possible. When he did finally leave the tribe, he was presented with a long, charred staff of oak, carved from a tree felled by lightning and prepared by the chief himself. After leaving the tribe, Bill decided to return to his old home-farm, only to find the land divided up amongst neighbouring landholders, his previous employer having been found guilty of all manner of things such as tax-evasion, smuggling and embezzlement whilst he had been gone. Deciding to move on from the remains of what was once his home, Bill eventually found his way to the vastly unfamiliar city-scape of Dustbowl. Something about the place's seemingly total disregard for law, order or even morals made Bill's own sense of righteousness and morality burn like a fire within him. He decided then and there that if no-one was going to do anything about it then he damn damn well would. Donning his Blackfoot name as a protection against recrimination and revenge-seekers, Sinopa was born. During the day he works as a hired hand for any who pay for his services, whilst at night he stalks the streets, dispensing justice and punishing criminals ignored by the law.

Any issues, changes, rejection, or suggestions on how to better the character, just let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.