D&D Character Help - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-11, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Default D&D Character Help

Hey all, I will soon be taking my first steps on the role-playing road and taking part in a Dungeons and Dragons 3ED. campaign.

I've been thinking long and hard about the kind of character I want and have decided that I want to play as a Van Helsing style monster hunter, complete with awesome cloak, hat and crossbow.

The problem is, I have no idea what class to take, what alignment to be and what feats to take.

I did look at the paladin as they seem to have a lot of the things I wanted, but I don't want to be pigeon-holed into a lawful good alignment.

I want to be able to hold my own in combat, but I don't really want to have to wear huge armour lol.

Any help from seasoned RPers would be appropriated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-11, 11:06 PM

Anarkitty's Flag is: USA

For what you're looking at doing, I would suggest Ranger or Fighter.

Rangers are good in light armor, work well at range, and if you take undead creatures as your favored enemies, you will be an excellent Undead Hunter.
Fighters are a little generic, but you get extra feats and can customize them however you like. You really can make then good at almost anything, they'll just never be the best at another class' specialty.

Check out my Codex: Scions of Slaanesh (Grey Knights complete rewrite)
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?p=959181

And my Necromunda Escher gang project log (with lots of pictures)
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/....php?p=1007914

In our embrace of the pleasures of the flesh we feel the embrace of the Dark Prince
She asks nothing of us but to enjoy life, and in doing so we bring glory to Him
Give up your petty faiths and morals and join us in the bosom of the Goddess of Pleasure

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 01:54 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I second that notion. Go with ranger. Fighter can be made in that kind of character, but if you re rookie, and don't know what feats to take, ranger is maybe better. And ranger has a lot of cool things, like tracking, animal companion, he is more skillfull etc.

About feats, I forgot which one does he get for free in 3.0, I'm mostly playing 3.5. In 3.5 you can chose which weapon style you want(ranged or dual wield) and then you get free feats as you progress. But for ranged character, you usually go with precise shot(very important), point black shot, rapid shot, and a such. You will want rapid reload for crossbows. For atributes, put most in dexterity, strength is not important for crossbows, get good constitution, and you will want wisdom for spells which you get later. You need 10+ lvl of spell to cast them. Rangers have 4 spell levels. Intelligence is good for extra skills, although ranger get quite a lot already.

If you decide to go for fighter, you will want similar feats and attributes,you just won't need wisdom and intelligence that much, so you can play with lower dices.

Some multiclass option like those linked could probably work very well, but I do not like multiclassing and prestige classes too much. I'm not powergamer type of player, I usually stick with core classes, feats and such. One of the reasons is that we usually die gruesome death before high levels usually, and in our campaigns ressurections is quite rare

Ask anything else you need help with.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 07-15-11 at 02:02 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 04:08 AM

Ranger would definitely be a good starting point. Assuming you're playing 3.5, there's a ton of alternate class abilities available that would let you make it more like a Witch Hunter, starting with the Urban Ranger variant.

For a crossbow, a light crossbow with the Rapid Reload feat is better than a repeating crossbow.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 04:27 AM
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA

I've started to play Pathfinder with a couple of the warhammer players around me and I think it's 3.5ed. I just started out a couple of weeks ago and it's super fun.

I also suggest with going as a ranger. I started as one and it's easier to choose feats and such, though if you take your time and read through everything, it's not that hard to choose the feats and such (I already have a second character for a side game as a rogue and they're fun too. They hit pretty hard.).

Another suggestion would be to go as a monk. They have some pretty cool abilities, can hold your own and heal yourself (at higher levels).

Hope this helps and hope you have fun playing!

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 04:45 AM

I'd recommend against the Fighter and Monk classes. Both are underpowered classes in opposite ways: the Fighter is a one trick pony whose one trick isn't that spectacular, while the Monk is just a collection of disparate "pretty cool" abilities that don't come together to form an effective character.

Here's a useful Tier list of the various base classes. Basically, if it's Tier 5 or 6, choose something else unless you've already got a really awesome combo worked out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 12:03 PM

hey, isn't the point to have fun? those tiers remind of tiers of wh40k armies and other crap(I'm not saying that things he wrote are untrue). And D&D is not competitive game. it's best he chose class which he likes most from RP side or by the fun/coolness factor. Class he will most enjoy playing, not most versatile/ powerful class. Yea, classes are not balanced, there are many crap classes that are good only as a idea, but best class is always one you like most/suit your playstyle/current mood/ etc. Even classes that are not powerful from gameplay side can be interesting to play.For example, I plan to play paladin in next campaign, which is certainly not a most powerful class by any means, but I find it very interesting from RP side, cause I still haven't played that type of character. Sure, for some kind of campaigns some character classes are not appropriate, but that he should discuss with DM.

There is no winner in D&D, and there is no fucking need to look on the game from that point of view. I've been playing D&D for 8-9 years (with some brake periods when we didn't manage to play, mostly during firsts of our university years) and I always hated players who try to maximise their characters, to find as many imbalanced builds, feats and spells from tons of books that exist, cause that kind of player usually spoil it for the rest of us who just want to have fun. I understand that some people like that aspect of RP, but IMO, it's not the point.

So, my advice is, if you, lets say, find monk interesting, go with it!

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 07-15-11 at 12:24 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
hey, isn't the point to have fun?
Yes, and that's precisely why I said what I did. A game where everybody feels like they're contributing is more fun than one where the newbie feels like dead weight because they picked a weak character. Trying to portray that as an attempt to unbalance the game is insulting.

I'm not saying to abandon the fighter, monk or paladin archetypes, but a newbie using the fighter, monk or paladin classes is a recipe for disappointment. The Tome of Battle sourcebook was written for just this purpose: it adds three new classes (Warblades for fighters, Swordsages for monks and Crusaders for paladins) that fill much the same thematic roles, but do not have the same pitfalls that would render an ill considered character impotent.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 02:52 PM

I didn't want to insult anyone, I'm sorry if I sounded that way. Now when I think of it, I did sound like a asshole a little.

In my experience, fighter is easy class to play, both from gameplay and roleplaying perspective, I did mostly play fighter in the beginning. He can use every armor, has a good hit dice, and is not as weak and easy to kill as lets say sorcerer, wizard, or some other class that is in the end more pottent. Playing low level sorc with few spells, low ac and hp is much more frustrating for a newbie than playing a fighter or paladin(though if you know to pick spells like sleep and color spray he can help party immensely, but we re talking about new players here). Feat choices may be difficult, but we always help newbies with that(and they do favor classes like fighter and barbarian, in my environment at least). Tome of battle certainly offers much more potent classes, but with maneuvers and such, is kinda different concept than core classes, and maybe difficult to grasp. I may be wrong, I haven't played any of that classes myself. We usually stick with core rules, and any other things must be approved with DM(he usually does), because some characters, like Divine metamagic cleric, or characters with feral template, can be kinda imbalanced.

So, I again apologize if I insulted anyone, I just think he should not care much about how effective class is.His friends could help him to pick feats, spells and other things to make his character not weak. He also opened this topic for same reason. DM also can help even scores, by giving good items for weaker characters, or creating situations where they can shine. And I still believe there is no bad class(I'm taking about core classes). Some are more versatile, some are more skillfull, some most excell in combat situations, some offer more RP value.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 07-15-11 at 03:04 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode