how to get into RPing? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-11, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

turel2's Flag is: Great Britain

Default how to get into RPing?

How would I get into some roleplaying as a noob.

Any advice/tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-11, 10:04 PM
Heretic

Entai's Flag is: USA

You have to take your mind into that universe. Put yourself as the person/thing you are playing and you have to play him/her/it as you would in your imagination.

Also, you have to be patient, as some times it could be very slow moving or dull. It all depends on the GM.

Dedication is also key. If you're not dedicated, the RP fails. Sometimes the group depends on everyone being present and always updated.

Click me!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-11, 09:33 PM

Luisjoey's Flag is: Venezuela

Get the player handbook (of whatever game you willing to play) and read about the game, try to find some people that already play RPGs to learn faster.

Visit http://calabozocriollo.foros.ws Venezuela Gaming Forum

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-11, 10:43 PM

Also, find players. There's usually a group out there somewhere. Try craigslist or your FLGs, there's bound to be people there.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 02:37 AM

search116's Flag is: USA

I was a lucky one as I started playing D&D 3.5 with some friends when I was 12 but for you I would try Craigslist or see if some of your friends are up to it and if your lucky maybe one of them may have experience DM'ing also don't start with 4th ed D&D it sucks badly. Usually if you google gaming groups in your area you'll find a few, or you can check with the people you play warhammer with as I found out 18 of the 50 odd ppl that come in on a weekly basis play D&D.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-11, 07:47 AM

I started rping in some yahoo pokemon roleplay group two years ago. I had it ALL WRONG (so wrong). I accidentally wrote what is possibly the worst fanfic ever (Worse than satire) because nopony would reply. Well, I was upset about that and ran off to som "Deoxys Dash - The End is Near" site. I managed to save the dying site, and was banned shortly afterwards for not understanding how roleplay works (I used my one character in, like, 5 threads at a time) and killing my character without permission (wtf?!). Well, the site died shortly afterward.

I ended up joining another pokemon roleplay forum, where I started to get a tiny bit better. Then, I hosted my own. It lasted a few months, and it had a great community. It eventually died, despite the fact that we fought as hard as we could to keep it alive. Things happen, I guess. I stopped forum RPing then, and went on to rping on (don't laugh) ROBLOX. Two or three years later, I joined this site and posted this message.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-12, 04:43 AM

If you have a local hobby store, check and see if there is anything on the bulletin board. I always see people hanging up notices looking for people to play various games. Even if the group doesn't last long you will learn how to play and meet some other people who play as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode