So what's your Favourite RPG? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-08, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default So what's your favorite RPG?

So who likes to play what?

I like to differentiate between my favorite game and my favorite system. My favorite RPG system for the moment is probably d20. It's nice and stable, easy to play...we'll see what happens then 4th edition comes out.

But my favorite game, setting-wise, would probably be Cyberpunk, or maybe Bureau 13 (I bet nobody;s heard of that one without google)

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-08, 04:23 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

My favourite RPG is by far World of Darkness (and its extensions like Vampire, Mage, Werewolf and the like). I love the story, I love the mechanics and above all I love the mood. Excellent game.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-08, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

I've played WoD, and it can e a lot of fun...but I confess, I don't care for the mechanics. The rules are very light and loose, which works ok only so long as you have a whole group of dedicated RP/storytellers. But a loose system also has bigger loopholes for abuse. Most of the people I played with just made uber-twinked characters and stomped around obliterating things.

Not that d20 is perfect or anything. I just prefer a tighter set of rules.

WoD is fun though. I enjoyed Werewolf, and I played a bit of Aberrant and Mage...man, Mage is where you really have to watch out for people abusing the system.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

Last edited by Galahad; 02-19-08 at 04:33 AM.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-08, 05:50 AM

Culler's Flag is: USA

My favorite system atm is BESM 3.0. You can literally build any character with it, so you are in no way limited by concept. The system is such that it balances your concept against the other character in an efficient way. You are not restricted at all in what your character can do except by power level and genre constraints.

However, there are balancing issues (ones that can be easily fixed, thankfully). The biggest problem is that it has no support. There is only the core book (which includes some cool settings), and all monsters etc. must be created by the DM. It doesn't really need a lot of extra books for character options as everything a character could do is pretty much included in the main book.

It's about 2 steps away from the perfect roleplaying system (one step being some system rewrites like skills and some rebalancing issues and the other step being proper support).

You can literally run almost every other system printed under its umbrella.

To play in right now mostly I prefer 3.5 D&D. It's got lots of problems but it isn't bad and its the common denominator that people are familiar with. Savage worlds is also a fun system that's pretty quick and can handle a wide variety of characters, campaigns, and genres.

And 4th edition is pretty much like playing WoW on the tabletop. I'm prevented from telling you why by a legal agreement, but don't be surprised if 4e is full of the fail.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-08, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

I've played BESM as well, but it had the same problem as DoD for me, the loose and flexible system is far too prone to abuse. Bubblegum Crisis used the Interlock-based Fuzion system similar to Cyberpunk 2020. It was skill based, rather than level base, and there weren't many limitations on character creation, but it also had a solid core of game mechanics that were less prone to needing on the fly fixes and friendly interpretation. In a lot of ways it was like d20 before d20 was invented.

You can find the core fuzion system online for free from R.Talsorian if I recall.

d20 modern came close to the idea of freeform gaming with its genericized classes and pick your own class features sort of setup.

But yeah, I'm not optimistic about 4th ed.

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-08, 12:47 PM

Sword Slasher's Flag is: England

The Eldar Scrolls IV: Oblivion

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-25-08, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Pssst, Slasher...
We're talking Pen & Paper RPGs, here.
Video games are thataway

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-02-08, 06:53 PM
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman

ACoz's Flag is: USA

I've played almost everything, in the 20+ years I've been an RPG-nerd.

Everything from the original Basic D&D, through Twilight 2000, to Rifts and beyond.

My preferences (and my moods) vary wildly with what I like playing and/or am currently deep into, but... for the last 12 or 13 years or so, I've got to say my favorite RPG's been Battlelords of the 23rd Century.

Oddly enough, I just don't like the d20 System (for many reasons I won't go into)...

'At two minutes to eleven, opposite the South African Brigade, at the eastern-most point reached by the British armies, a German machine-gunner, after firing off a belt without pause, was seen to stand up beside his weapon, take off his helmet, bow, and then slowly walk to the rear.' -John Buchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchimpster View Post
I can't help but think that every time something is proven, a little bit of the magic of the world dies.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-02-08, 07:31 PM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

My main game is Werwolf the Apocalypse, although I find all the original WoD games are pretty good. However with Werewolf I find a strong connection in the idea of trying to save the world, well in their eyes, against almost unbeatable odds. With a good mix of spirituality, horror and social gathering thrown into the mix.
As a StT I ran septs as they they where described, with politics that can easily match any Vampire game, and I loved the epic feeling the game gave as you fought often really long campaigns that could last for as long as you pretty much wanted.

Other faves have included Dark Sun, perhaps my fave D&D setting of all time, don't know what it was but something just clicked with me and that game.
If I'm honest I have had a real trouble with D20 due to the horrible in my eyes 'feats' system. Mainly as I don't agree with giving Humans more just to attract players to them. If folks play an Elf for the rules, change the players mind not the rules to try and make him pick what many see as a weaker race. I was just of the opinion they should have made classes that would make folks rather play Humans, or trust in players to play what they wanted, rather than jangle rules in front of them as a reason to play a Human.

Although it does occur to me I should probably just pick up D20 again to try one more time, if feats still annoy me I can always Doctor the rules.

The other reason to look at D20 is I am a fan of Forgotten Realms, and there are quite a few D20 lines out now that look quite interesting.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-02-08, 08:30 PM

Nato13's Flag is: Australia

My favorite would have to be Cyberpunk 2020, we've had some epic campaigns over the
years. Nothing else i've played gives the atmosphere and overall feel that Cyberpunk 2020 does.

5th Edition results:

EMPERORS CHILDREN: W:23 L:6 D:3 (On Hiatus)
Iron Warriors: W:7 L:0 D:0
NECRONS: W:12 L:8 D:1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode