D&D, where to start? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-08, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Must Paint MOAR!

Riandro's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default D&D, where to start?

me and my girlfreind are thinking of having a go at D&D, but we havent a clue where to start or what to buy first,

help?

-Riandro

Tea drinkers of the world - UNITE - The wise words of Red Orc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Besides, sometimes you want a break from bolters and bretonians, and that's what penguin-tossing is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-08, 11:21 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

My suggestion is to go to your local game shop and find out whether they have any DMs and what edition they play. After you find out get the player's handbook for that edition, and attempt to get into one of their campaigns. My suggestion is to get 3.5 because it is a bit harder, but you have a lot more customization with your character than you get in 4th edition.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:36 AM

probably do 4th edition, its the most recent, and its easiest to learn, and most vercitile (You can use the streemlined rules to just go aroud killing things, or to get thru the combat encounters faster and do more roleplay). If your just looking for a good time, all you really need is the players handbook, you will have to make up your oun monsters and come up with your rewards based on winging it, but you will save about 100$. If its just you and your girlfreind its going to be lame, you need at least one Dungeonmaster, and 2(Absolute minimum in my opinion) players. Your also going to need dice.

If you want to get more into it, get lots of dice, and the players handbook, monster manual, and Dungeon masters guide. Now, if your going to have probloms geting people on board because they think it is geeky (Sadly one of the bigest probloms) Do 3.5 or3. Because 4th editions illustrations are a lot more childish. I just ignore the pictures, the rulles are streemlined and easy to use (If your familiar with the D20sys). The D20 system seems really complicated at first, but its really not.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 01:42 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would echo what Blackhiker said about finding out what your local group play. If you just go out any buy everything to run a game it could end up costing you an absurd amount, whereas your local club may only use a few books, or if you are lucky have a library set for members to borrow.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-08, 02:58 PM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

All good advice here, I'm more prone to say 4th edition for D20 as well, more as thats what Wizards has moved onto, its easier to learn from what I'm hearing and anything new and shiny will be based in 4th. Detailed characters are nice but not neccesary for roleplaying a good game. In fact D&D has always been one of the more complex systems in the past, but simplier systems can allow for quick rolls and more roleplay. Both types have their merits though.

As to the local current gaming group, excellent points if they have one, depending on the place they live they may be in a RPG wilderness. This means you may need to form the local group by convincing friends to give it a go, or at worst play one DM and one player, which although not ideal can be loads of fun as well.

If you are going it alone or starting the group my advice is to buy only what you need, look at the sub games as well, some come with all the rules you need to play and create characters in the main book. By sub games I mean Star Wars, Starfleet, and some of the other D20 worlds as listed in the big list above in the Roleplay Games forum.

Thats also another key point, do you plan on making up your own world, or do you just fancy playing in someone elses. On the latter it comes down to the style you want, Sci-fi, fantasy etc. If you where a Fantasy fan for example I'd strongly recommend Forgotten Realms. If its the former and you want to create your own world, then you will need the first three main books, DM Guide, Players Handbook and Monsters Manual and then build away from there.

Hopefully these responses have helped, but I'm quite sure we're happy to respond to any further questions.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"

Last edited by Druchii in Space; 11-16-08 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-08, 03:55 PM

Alexander Darkblade's Flag is: USA

well i havent played D&D in a long time but i do remember alot of my stuff for it.

my dad gave me all his AD&D 1st ed stuff which is what i use (high lvl paladin ftw)

fist thing you should do is buy a starter set period, theyre like 30-40$ and have a pretty good dungeon and rulebook to start you out with.

"The Knights are broken, the Renegades are defeated, there remains only one truth to our order... Vengeance"
Chaos Lord Darkblade, Darksteel Disciples
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-20-08, 12:46 PM

Chaos&Beer's Flag is: USA

I agree with those who said that you should find out what your local group plays.

Dungeons and Dragons is the most rewarding hobby I have ever had. I have so many precious memories connected to this game it's silly. There is nothing quite like getting together with a bunch of your comrades, cracking the beers (I find it works best if the DM abstains, lol), and getting into character.

Just find a group and buy the Players Handbook of whatever edition they play to start. If it's 3rd Edition, consider buying the handbook for whatever class you end up wanting to play (Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, etc). If they play in Forgotten Realms, buy that Players book as well. I find it ruins things if all of the PC's have all of the DM content memorized.

Get ready for a new addiction my friend, good luck! =)

Battle Record (since joining Heresy-Online)

W-L-D

19-14-0

"A confirmation of your worst fears. Ever since his first years, had the thirst for beers." -MF DOOM as Viktor Vaughn

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-20-08, 01:12 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

It is better for the DM to be sober because this happens otherwise

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 06:28 PM

Hidemons's Flag is: Costa Rica

As I remember because I haven't played for years:
You need at least 4 players to play to be any fun. 1 Dungeon Master and 3 Players. If you don't have that than go to a game store and look up events and find a group of people to join.

You need to a players handbook. Figure out which version you need or want to play with.
And you need a set of dice, they makes sets for D&D - - very common place. Then you're set.

And you have a girlfriend that wants to play D&D with you?!? Brutal.

Is fancy bread in the heart or in the head
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 06:22 PM

Chaos&Beer's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidemons View Post
And you have a girlfriend that wants to play D&D with you?!? Brutal.
That's what I'm saying man. I wish my wife would play ANY of the games that I play, be it 40K, DnD, or Talisman (I have the old school board + timescape + dungeon + city).

You are a lucky man.

Battle Record (since joining Heresy-Online)

W-L-D

19-14-0

"A confirmation of your worst fears. Ever since his first years, had the thirst for beers." -MF DOOM as Viktor Vaughn

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode