D&D, where to start? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 06:56 PM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

Tbh thats the one factor I didn't really raise an eyebrow over as it seems normal to me. Perhaps my main group of players are rarer than I thought. But aye, all the long term players from my core group (five of us) have ended up with partners who Roleplay as well, heck one pair became a couple via the games I was running. (Lvix and the girl in question makes seven total, sadly I never got to run many games with the other girlfriends as they where relationships that came together either at uni, or after I left Cornwall.)

Ok I admit few of the girls also Wargame as my otherhalf LVix does, but yeah none of us can imagine a world where we'd be with someone who looks at the hobby we love and snorts.
I remember two of my older friends (they where in their 30's when I was in my teens) years ago both ended up getting divorced due to that, I knew then I could never live like that.

Getting back on track though I feel the need to ask if any of this has helped in anyway Riandro. Any closer to making a RPG choice?

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"

Last edited by Druchii in Space; 11-22-08 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 08:39 PM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

I would recommend starting out with 4th ed because it is much easier to learn. Lots of dice will make for quicker play and more players means more fun. My party has four players in it with me as the dungeon master. What you should do, is find out who you are going to game with and what kind of person your DM is. When the players' desires are different from the DM's things get bad.

As for what to buy first, I would say the player's handbook because it has all the core rules. Wizards also has some other products that make it easier to play, like the dungeon tiles. I hated making grids myself.

Hope this helps!

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-08, 11:58 AM

DarknessDawns's Flag is: Australia

hey im playing D&D tomorrow, we are playing pathfinder, which is like 3.75 edition, not crap like 4th ( no insult meant) it can be downloaded for free, it just is a updated version of 3.5, so all the complicated annoying rules have been streamlined, the characters have been balanced slightly, not level 8 wizards with a max of 30 hp for me

do you really think that i..I would would collect warhammer HA HAHAHHAH you silly silly man its not just a collection ITS A WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

"Makes the forums smell like cat pee and vodka in my mind..."-Galahad

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-08, 11:00 PM

I played D&D for about 3 months but lost interest since it took too much time away from other things I wanted to do more. But I'd say is the game is only as good as the people you play with.

My friends never took the game seriously like I mentioned in another post a few minutes ago, but it was funny. My friend caught himself on fire and the dungeon master rolled a d6 to see if he could vomit on himself to put out the fire...and it worked. And later my character died after being attacked by a pack of giant rabid squirrels. I died because my friend shot a fireball at the squirrels but it him me instead for some god forsaken reason, hah. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Its cool if you have the imagination for it.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-15-08, 01:21 AM
Count Arioch's Flag is: USA

I'd recommend 3.5 personally, second choice 4e. Pathfinder is free, but honestly they'd have to pay ME before I'd play that dreck.

Pathfinder kept everything that was broken about 3.5, buffed already overpowered classes, and nerfed fighters with a cactus until they liked it. (In case you don't get that, I was referring to forcible anal rape.)

Trust me, Pathfinder is crap. 4E is honestly better in every way.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 12:08 AM

Icon 4.0 Dungeons and Dragons

i play 4.0 so this is what i got:

- Player's handbook
- Monster Manual
- dungeon master book (fergot name)
- 4.0 dice bag

These ones are not needed, but I enjoy them:

- Draconoligy books
- dungeon packs (starting with Keep on Shadowfell)
- might want some forgotten realms books aswell (more options of gameplay)
- figures or some icons that u can use for you avatars aswell as the enemies'

Hope this helps
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Must Paint MOAR!

Riandro's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sorry for not replying everyone!

been busy

BUT i managed to round up enough money to get most, if not all the core rule books just read through the players handbook, going onto the DM book

Tea drinkers of the world - UNITE - The wise words of Red Orc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Besides, sometimes you want a break from bolters and bretonians, and that's what penguin-tossing is for.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 10:51 PM
Darth Druchii

Nice to hear Riandro, hope you have many wonderful games.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 10:52 PM

Da Red Paintjob Grot's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: The Mystical workshop of the Red paintjob grot. (My room.)

OK, i am a veteran DM of many years, so here is my advice. BUY 3.5 players handbook, monster manual and dungeon masters guide. DON'T BUY 4th ed, ITS CRAP!

Many thanks to www.clockworkscomic.com for the Avatar!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 10:59 PM
Darth Druchii

Well to be fair thats a bit harsh, but I agree its not as detailed as earlier editions. AD&D is still probably the best version in my opinion, but I wouldn't make a blanket its crap statement.

I was expecting terrible things and its not as bad as some where making out, I understand the MMO comparisons, but its is a much quickier system now pick up and learn. As long as its bringing new folks into the hobby I don't see a problem.

I was more disapointed with the decesion to reverse the 'open licence' personally, but other than that its a great RPG entry system for new players, and its detailed enough for experienced ones.

The main reason I'd still suggest anyone new to get 4th is because the older books will slowly become more scarce, and theres nothing worse if you have three or four friends trying to get rulebooks and they can't get hold of them. End up battling over one or two dog-eared copies.

---------------

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode