Noob RP help - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-08, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Must Paint MOAR!

Riandro's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Noob RP help

ive decided i want to join the RP side of gaming, but i dont know where to start. i think it will be only 2 people playing with me at most atm. should i go for something like D&D or Dark heresy???

thanks in advance for the help!

Tea drinkers of the world - UNITE - The wise words of Red Orc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Besides, sometimes you want a break from bolters and bretonians, and that's what penguin-tossing is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-08, 06:12 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

rob whats RP gaming?

also why arnt you ever on xfire!, and do you mind if i come round this holiday? if so when ?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-08, 09:21 PM
Banned
Wrath of Khaine's Flag is: USA

Welcome to the wonderful world of role-playing.
First of all, any game will suit you fine, hell even basic 40k rules. There are 5 ingredients to get a game working, and by that I mean fairly smooth.
1 - Selecting the players and game master.I find that the most imaginative and fair of the people in your group tend to make the best game masters. Also, people with any history of acting or fantasy/sci-fi creation.
2 - Knowing the rules. The game master MUST know the rules. Knowing every little tedious thing isn't essential, but it prevents game slowing or stopping, which in turn causes people to get sick of RPing for the time. The more you know, the smoother gameplay will work and you will be able to teach players better. It is also good for players to read through basic combat rules.
3 - Making the setting. You have to create a solid campaign. A good location that makes sense, with the basic workings of a normal society. This can be simple as you need it, with a starter game just needing a few enemies and some plot to work with. Eventually though, you need to write up a storyline with some end objective, and plot hooks and twists in between, including NPCs, or non-playable characters.
4 - Making the PCs.The lifeblood of a campaign is its Player Characters. Each person will want something specific, but try not to let them get out of hand. Some races and classes of people won't generally mix, and the natural prejudices can make the game experience worthwhile. Try to set some limits on creation, to stay within what your story is looking for in a PC. In the end, the plot will work out better.
5 - Keeping things moving along. You absolutely must keep the players interested with constant discussion, intrigue, combat, puzzle, etc. Don't overlap them alot and give everyone a headache, but try to keep them on their toes. Occasional lulls will happen, but try to push through these will ad hoc adventures or dialogue with nefarious characters through your world. Or just a good jaunt at the pub.

Hope that helps.
Summary- Get some drinks, food, dice, and enjoy.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-08, 09:54 PM

4th edition of D&D is simpler than most to learn for a new player. But its new so it cost up the yingyang. If your just looking for some playing of the roll, not so much rolling dice and skills etc like Khaine said just set up some 40k setings and buy an inquisitor blister.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-08, 12:59 AM

Epic Fail's Flag is: Australia

Shadowrun is the only game that I reckon works really well for solo play (i.e. a GM and a single player). DH would work but D&D 4E isn't geared for a single PC

Monocle rich!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-08, 02:49 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Shadowrun works a lot better with two or more players (I play with a group of four others - I'm the Elf samurai with the heart of gold and a body dismorphic disorder [he's been body-sculpted to look less elven]. He doesn't quite look human, but he's seen as an outcast by his 'own people'. I made him for the challenge.)

Have no experience with D&D after 1st ed. Didn't enjoy it enough to continue with it.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 12:36 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Schafer View Post
4th edition of D&D is simpler than most to learn for a new player.
you mean mordheim?
Gw did it first.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode