Anyone out there still into Cyberpunk 2020? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-13, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Anyone out there still into Cyberpunk 2020?

Well, between CD Projekt's awesome new Cyberpunk game coming out whenever, and the fact that this is, of course, 2013 (The time in which the original version of the game was set) I've been dusting off the old books and joining a local group for a semi-weekly game.

Just figured I'd see if any of my fellow Heretics had even heard of, let alone were still into the cheezy 80s-90s glory that is Cyberpunk 2020.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-13, 02:34 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I played CP2020 nearly weekly for over a year in the early nineties.

I tried it again several years ago but found it less engaging this time around - I am not sure why.

I still have a massive pile of supplements though.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 02:00 AM

Typhos's Flag is: USA

I used to play quite a bit!!

I would love to be able to get back into it!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 04:50 AM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

i used to play it back in the 90's but i could never get along with it, both as a player and a GM, i proffered Shadowrun....yeah yeah wired shamanic elves, dwarfs, orcs, trolls, humans, dragons......i loved it
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

I feel like I missed out on something with Shadowrun. I had the main book, but at the time I was such a stuckup little fanboy for cyberpunk that I never gave it a chance because it felt like a ripoff

And honestly, it was ripoff of cyberpunk, just with magic and elves thrown in.
But that doesn't mean it wasn't also awesome. Because magic and elves are awesome.

I need to find someone who wants to run a game of it sometime and try it out

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 02:02 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

In my opinion the Shadowrun background is more interesting but the Cyberpunk system seemed less vulnerable to abuse by power-gamers.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 11:08 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I feel like I missed out on something with Shadowrun. I had the main book, but at the time I was such a stuckup little fanboy for cyberpunk that I never gave it a chance because it felt like a ripoff

And honestly, it was ripoff of cyberpunk, just with magic and elves thrown in.
But that doesn't mean it wasn't also awesome. Because magic and elves are awesome.

I need to find someone who wants to run a game of it sometime and try it out
It wasn't really a ripoff. It was inherently cyberpunk. But when one game in the genre is CALLED Cyberpunk it's going to look like it.

Personally, I always preferred Shadowrun's system. It was much more fluid and freeform. And you could have a perpetually drunk cyborg dwarf drone-rigger with a nuclear powered schoolbus. With a GAU-8 attached to it.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
It wasn't really a ripoff. It was inherently cyberpunk. But when one game in the genre is CALLED Cyberpunk it's going to look like it.
Cyberpunk came out first, was the first to come up with mechanics for cybernetics reducing your humanity, and if you look at the cybernetics section of shadowrun you'll not only find identical items, but many even have identical in-world names, complete with fake trademarks.

It's one thing to have a game in the cyberpunk genre, and yes there will be some overlap in equipment and cybernetics, but when you can get 'RealSkin(TM)' covering for your cyber-arm and a 'SmartGun(TM)' interface, etc, etc, in both games, it really starts looking like the later one just lifted stuff from the earlier one wholesale.

Quote:
Personally, I always preferred Shadowrun's system. It was much more fluid and freeform. And you could have a perpetually drunk cyborg dwarf drone-rigger with a nuclear powered schoolbus. With a GAU-8 attached to it.
Cyberpunk was pretty fluid and free-form. In the core book it suggested ways of making up your own classes, and most refs were willing to wirk with you to tailor skills to desired role. You could have an alcoholic Techie with a Dwarf themed Exotic package, a cybernetic liver that lets him drink all day and also run combat drones from his heavily armed bus ;-) It just takes a fuckton of euros and a willing ref.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 05:34 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I've still got my stuff and up until last year, I was on-off running a CP2020 campaign.
I did run a campaign for 7 years in the 90s (1993-2000) - only managed to have one character kill himself through stupidity. The rest got "upgraded" piece by piece. :D

Preferred 2020 to Shadowrun, but when there was a dearth of CP material in the late 80s, and SR snuck a few books in while no-one was looking, I grabbed them and converted them - removing obviously magical/fantasy stuff and substituting the mundane versions.

The ex-president of a games club I used to belong to wrote the first Rigger black book (Phil McGregor - who also wrote stuff for other rpgs back then).
A friend also wrote the Australian bit for the PacRim sourcebook (not well received here, but those people tended to take it too literally - and not take-the-piss-alternate-future-that-wasn't that it was intended as.).

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

I'd been waiting/hoping for you to post, chromedog. Between the name and the avatar, I knew you had to be a CP fan.

So as someone who's run a game that long with such minimal fatalities, any tips for planning combat encounters?

Cyberpunk has an absolutely brutal combat system...right up until you stack on enough SP to make yourself immune to small arms.

My brother started a game recently. Last week we did a refresher/intro session since not everyone had played and most haven't played for ages. Pre-gen characters, just a simple run...ge got inside the door and the solo turned it into a firefight...which was fine for the solo, but not the techie who got both legs blown off right away. After that the place went on alert. We had to have the runner hack the internal auto-guns and turn them on security, but even then most of them just ducked inside offices to lay ambushes and generally make our lives miserable.

Didn't help that the solo tried (and failed) to execute the one or two guys we actually got to surrender, only to catch a grenade for it. He was at critical when the medtechie decided to put him down instead of treat him because he was a liability.

Ideally you want to avoid combat in CP, but if you have to fight the combination of shock rules, wound states and utter lack of on the spot healing make any kind of combat a liability. Even if you make it through with a scratch, it all adds up when you can't heal.

Any advice for rusty vets and newbies?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode