Deathwatch questions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Raizer Sabre's Flag is: England

Default Deathwatch questions

Wow, long time since I posted anything on this forum.

Anyway, I've been thinking about trying to run a Deathwatch game for my weekly gaming group at some point, but there are some issues I have.

1: In the Core rulebook, it says that the movement speed of the characters is in metres, but it doesn't say how those metres are represented on a game board, if any. Is there a standardised way of doing that, like 1m is equal to 1 square or something like that?

2: Are there any actual adventures for want of a better word in publication? I've had a read through Final Sanction, which is supposed to be an advenutre/mission and I'm not sure I understand it. There seems to be a lot of backstory kind of thing but not any structured adventure writing...or maybe I'm too used to the structure of D&D to see that.

3: Having made the above point on Final Sanction, are there any actual maps that go with these missions or is there just free reign to make them up however you want them to?

4: In an attempt to try and simplify things, not only for the players, but for myself, I want to try and remove some elements like Squad Mode, Demeanours, Power Armour History etc. Are these essential to character creation and running the game, or is it something that can easily be done without?

I'm pretty sure thats it, but I'm sure I'll have more when they come to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-13, 09:51 PM

yeah, long time for me too. anyway, i've been running the various 40k rpgs for a while now and thought i'd try to give a little insight into how i do things.

1. yes. i use 1 square equals 1 meter. very easy but am not sure if it actually states that anywhere. i assume it does since i seem to remember reading it somewhere can't recall where i read it.

2. there are a few published adventures as on now. the emperor protects, rising tempest, and ark of lost souls are the hardcovers as well as a few other downloadables.

3. oddly enough (to me anyway), there aren't too many maps to go along with the adventures. while there are a few here and there, i have noticed that they don't seem to be pushing mini usage nearly as much as i would have thought. seeing as the entire line is based on the miniatures game, i would think they would use the rpgs as a way to push mini's. but, if you'll take a gander through any of the books, you won't see a single mini. no examples using minis and no advertising. but anyway, back to the question. you'll need to find other ways of getting maps.

4. that sort of stuff could probably be left out without causing too much trouble. you probably won't even notice it's gone. in fact, my group and i forget about some of those things more frequently than i'd like. the game is still loads of fun though. while those types of things can add a lot to a game, they can also detract from it if you worry too much about implementing the rules.

hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Raizer Sabre's Flag is: England

awesome, thanks for that. i re-read the rulebook recently and it said that you don't necessarily need a map or minis to play and its more based on narrative. point 4 is also helpful for me as i've dm'ed a couple of d&d games and i'm constantly forgetting about various rules and things, so the simpler i can make it for me as a gm, the better lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode