Fantasy Flight 40k rpg's... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Roleplay Games For the discussion of all Roleplay Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-12, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Agarwaen's Flag is: England

Default Fantasy Flight 40k rpg's...

just wanting a bit of background info on them, what the games entail and if you can play alone etc.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 04:23 PM

Jack Jack's Flag is: Canada

The rulebooks are very poorly edited. For example, rules for choosing your starship crew are at starship generation, along with the rules for improving starship component, but the rules for improving your crew are at the starship damage section.

Also, boarding actions are calculated using the hull space of your starship, but some hull type come with component included and the starship hull space in their profile is reduced, which means you have to find the component in question and add the space taken by that component to the stat provided.

Also, Xenos starships don't come with their hull space stats, which is a bummer because they also have special rules that would affect how they behave in boarding actions, (I'm looking at you, orks). This is especially frustrating if you bought the battlefleet Koronus and the into the storm supplement hoping to play a campaign as freebooters only to find you can't get the stats for your kroozer or your brute ram ship.

I mean, yes, I can stat out these, but I paid 100 $ in supplemental material to not have to, and I still have to, that's what's frustrating.

Also, most tables in the book will have at least one line which is not justified with the rest, and most chapter will have a table entirely unjustified. It's not enough to make the whole thing unreadable, but it does make the whole thing seem unfinished.

I mean, The Riddle of Steel used to be a indy game, and it was better edited than that monstrous thing.

My advice is that you buy yourself Black crusade, if only for the more streamlined gameplay of that tittle, (but you will miss out on the starship combat rules presented by Rogue trader - which is by the way the worst offender for poor editing, I have found) and you use books like those written by Sandy Mitchell or Dan Abnett for fleshing your fluff. You can also get some idea fluffwise from the codexi and the lexicanum wiki.

Yours
Jack Jack.

I fled to chase dreams that I can't yet describe.
I wake up, shivers, I hope my dream wasn't you.
But son, your dad, it ain't me, it can't be.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-13, 07:19 PM

i bought Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Dark Heresy: Ascension, sadly not so much to play as I don't know anyone around here that's into rpgs, but more just to read. The hefty price tags on the books (almost as bad as forge world books) has shied me away from any others. they are cool reads with lots of nice art, but you'd be better off finding them online for less (freeish)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 11:26 PM

Soul_Of_Iron's Flag is: USA

Alright, haha sounds like you're looking for more general info... Uhm... the only one I personally own is Deathwatch, you play as a Space Marine character, and the game focuses on missions you and your kill-team undertake to kill aliens for the most part. Rules for Chaos enemies and such are included but... It focuses on Xenos enemies being that the Deathwatch are specifically intended for combating alien threats. Black Crusade is the newest one I believe, you play as a disciple of Chaos... Im pretty sure you can play as a Traitor Marine, although I'm not positive. The goal in this is generally more of a personal glory sort of thing... You're trying to gain power and influence by following and pleasing the Chaos Gods... In Only War you play as an Imperial Guardsman, where you fight all sorts of enemies of the Imperium... as a regular human soldier. (personally I think this one would be the easiest to RP) Dark Heresy, is where you play as an Inquisitorial Acolyte, rooting out the enemies of the Imperium alongside an Inquisitor... This one's the oldest and probably has a more well established following because of that. Rogue Trader puts you in the role of *ahem* a Rogue Trader (Basically 40k's version of space pirate/explorers), and is probably the least structured one narrative wise as you're not bound by any particular goal except money and prestige. Hope that helps man! If you have questions about the Deathwatch one I'm more than happy to help... The others I don't own (hope to get them soon though, I think the books are fantastic), but I'm sure you can find all the info you're looking for here @: www.fantasyflightgames.com Cheers! Edit: It's also important to note that ALL of these systems are compatible with each other, characters from one can easily interact and join party with characters from another

"In battle, if a man is to survive, must desire life like water, yet drink death like wine." -G.K Chesterton

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode