Scratch Built Wizards Tower and Ruin - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-23-11, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Default Scratch Built Wizards Tower and Ruin

When someone hands you a large carboard cylinder and asks you to build something, what do you do?

I decided to make my first foray into the world of plogs, and thought a Wizards Tower would be an ideal start, having seen and loved the new Witchfate Tor.

Firstly, the main materials;

Add to the tube and fibreboard squares a large amount of insulating foam block and off to work I go.

I began by deciding on doing two separate buildings. The first, and easiest, would be a simple ruin of only one level and in one piece.

The second would be more complex, consisting of one base unit, onto which one of two different tops could be placed. One top would be smashed and broken, the other would be roofed and complete.

In order to begin, the first order of business was to slice up the tube;

The bits above are all for the main tower building. Next came some structural work ( ceilings and stairs ) using the blue foam;

The tubular section top left of the picture is for the smaller ruin.

In the centre of the picture is the first stage of cutting out the stairs, and the circular piece to the lower left is the ceiling/floor section of the main tower. As you can see I have begun sketching out ideas for where thngs will go when its put in place.

Its worth mentioning at this point that I tend not to pre-measure much of my work. Ifind that working "on the fly" works best for me.

So, individual wedges were cut out of the stair section, and the blocks were cut from these;

This block was then split into three horizontally, to make individual stairs. An involving process, but one that allowed me to match the stairs to the curvature of the tube;

At this point, I lost access to my camera and forged on ahead a bit with the small ruin. I shall update the pics in a wee bit.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-23-11, 10:35 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-23-11, 11:09 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Impressive progress, looks like you are doing a quality build. Most excellent.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Firstly, thanks for the comments guys - keep them coming.

And secondly, on to the plog. . . .

So, as I explianed before, I lost access to my camera for a day or two, and cracked on with the small ruin build. Here are some pics of its current progress, with, as best as I can remember, a wee description of how it got to its current state;

And a wee close up of the door and stairs;

The base started out as a fibreboard square, cut to shape with much gnashing, cursing and gashing of legs and jeans ( oops ). More blue foam was pinned to the board using cocktail sticks and a little recess was cut, in which the "tube" ruin was firmly glued.

It was at this point I realised that I should have textured the "floor" of the room, after cutting the recess but before glueing the ruin in place. It just would have been so much easier to reach!

As a quick aside - the foam I am using may be a little hard to come by, but if you ever get a chance to get some, grab it with both hands.

One of the first things you'll notice is the stairs climbing around the inside of the tower. This was made simpler by using the wedges shown earliier, and harder because I almost rushed it ( hint - let them set a little before placing the next step! ).

The broken upper floor was added as an afterthought because I thought the upper edge of the ruin would look a little too regular and uniform without it.

The doorway and door itself was placed next, using thin strips for the doorway, and one flat piece for the door. I then took my knife and started to lightly score the "wood" of the door, first by carefully slicing out fine wedges, down the entire length of the door, to define individual planks. Then, again lightly, lines were pressed into the planks to give a vague grain effect. Small wedges of plastic ( card will do just as well ) were added for hinges, and a small strip, bent once at each end, for a handle.

I would normally use balsa or similar for the door, but alas I'm broke. So i wont be buying any.

Using the same wedge slicing as on the door planks, just a little deeper this time, I formed a small brick wall and stairs leading up to the door and some larger rocks, just for extra detail.

Finally, you may have noticed that the tube has changed colour? That'll be the small tile-like pieces of card I used to simulate the wall of the building. This will be further textured before painting.

When I placed the tiles I didn't worry overmuch about the small windows that I had cut out. I have a plan for those windows, and a knife will soon clean up the edges.

I dont really have a lot left to do with the small ruin, and it's already highlighted two or three things to watch out for in the tower model. For example, I'll be using smaller, more regular tiles for the brickwork as it will give the whole building a more secure and better built feel to the structure. Also, I'll be texturing the floor first before gluing it to the base.

And finally, I wont be trying to take short-cuts with cutting the fibreboard base. It might not be my leg I gash next time.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 12:18 PM

Great work. Have some Rep...
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 12:35 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

It seems to be progressing well.

I think it would look even better with texturing on the inside of the walls as well.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-24-11, 10:57 PM

Lestat's Flag is: England

Just need some sticky-back plastic and you've got a Blue Peter project!
Have some well earned rep - given me some ideas for the future.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arli View Post
Great work. Have some Rep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
It seems to be progressing well.

I think it would look even better with texturing on the inside of the walls as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Just need some sticky-back plastic and you've got a Blue Peter project!
Have some well earned rep - given me some ideas for the future.
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Arli - Thanks for the rep mate, its appreciated.

Dave - I will be texturising the inner wall a lot less than the outer wall, but it will have some detail - maybe some cracked plaster effect showing the bricks of the outer wall behind, something like that. I'll get some more pics up when its done.

Lestat - I'm certainly old enough to remember the old sticky back plastic. I didn't know you could give out "0" points btw . Thankfully I'm not a rep whore so it just made me chuckle.

The project might be on hold for a day or two guys - need some new materials. Update should be done before the weekend though.

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 08:55 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

WOW, DecrepitDragon, pretty great looking tower your building so far. The attention to detail is awesome. Love the little nics and texture on the door. Will be looking forward to seeing this progress.

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Ezekiel View Post
WOW, DecrepitDragon, pretty great looking tower your building so far. The attention to detail is awesome. Love the little nics and texture on the door. Will be looking forward to seeing this progress.
Thanks a lot mate. Thankfully I'm doing a bit more work on it tonight. The Mrs kindly bought me some stuff so now I dont need to wait till the weekend. I'll get some pics up later maybe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode