Firstly, thanks for the comments guys - keep them coming.
And secondly, on to the plog. . . .
So, as I explianed before, I lost access to my camera for a day or two, and cracked on with the small ruin build. Here are some pics of its current progress, with, as best as I can remember, a wee description of how it got to its current state;
And a wee close up of the door and stairs;
The base started out as a fibreboard square, cut to shape with much gnashing, cursing and gashing of legs and jeans ( oops ). More blue foam was pinned to the board using cocktail sticks and a little recess was cut, in which the "tube" ruin was firmly glued.
It was at this point I realised that I should have textured the "floor" of the room, after cutting the recess but before glueing the ruin in place. It just would have been so much easier to reach!
As a quick aside - the foam I am using may be a little hard to come by, but if you ever get a chance to get some, grab it with both hands.
One of the first things you'll notice is the stairs climbing around the inside of the tower. This was made simpler by using the wedges shown earliier, and harder because I almost rushed it ( hint - let them set a little before placing the next step! ).
The broken upper floor was added as an afterthought because I thought the upper edge of the ruin would look a little too regular and uniform without it.
The doorway and door itself was placed next, using thin strips for the doorway, and one flat piece for the door. I then took my knife and started to lightly score the "wood" of the door, first by carefully slicing out fine wedges, down the entire length of the door, to define individual planks. Then, again lightly, lines were pressed into the planks to give a vague grain effect. Small wedges of plastic ( card will do just as well ) were added for hinges, and a small strip, bent once at each end, for a handle.
I would normally use balsa or similar for the door, but alas I'm broke. So i wont be buying any.
Using the same wedge slicing as on the door planks, just a little deeper this time, I formed a small brick wall and stairs leading up to the door and some larger rocks, just for extra detail.
Finally, you may have noticed that the tube has changed colour? That'll be the small tile-like pieces of card I used to simulate the wall of the building. This will be further textured before painting.
When I placed the tiles I didn't worry overmuch about the small windows that I had cut out. I have a plan for those windows, and a knife will soon clean up the edges.
I dont really have a lot left to do with the small ruin, and it's already highlighted two or three things to watch out for in the tower model. For example, I'll be using smaller, more regular tiles for the brickwork as it will give the whole building a more secure and better built feel to the structure. Also, I'll be texturing the floor first before gluing it to the base.
And finally, I wont be trying to take short-cuts with cutting the fibreboard base. It might not be my leg I gash next time.