The Shadow Guardians Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-08-14, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

@.Bragg. Thanks for the input! Sculpting some classic Astartes details around the top and back of the helmets is a good idea, and I appreciate the pic for inspiration. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 12:38 PM

.Bragg.'s Flag is: England

Not a problem

Here's some further inspiration: http://carmensminiaturepainting.blog...or-helmet.html

If you pin the helmet through the neck; this way no seen areas of the helmet will be damaged once assembled. You can then work away filing down the rear detail, I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the helmet with some patience and smooth putty you can get there.

I'd try and place down a crude yet even area of putty once the detail is removed, allow that to set so you can then return to add finer detail without altering the base layer.

A lot of this might be obvious but naturally I'm unaware of your confidence with the old sculpting so I hope I don't seem patronizing

- .Bragg.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-18-15, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Got a pretty sweet deal on a 15mm-scale Leviathan Crusader from DreamForge Games. I've always thought DreaForge's walkers looked amazing, and when the sale came around, I just couldn't resist. The first one actually got lost in the mail, but Mark (the guy behind this awesome little Kickstarted company) was kind enough to send me a replacement. This is the first non-GW model I've purchased for use in my 40K army. I think it makes a much more realistic dreadnought than the standard little guy. This is because of the longer legs. Thinking realistically about things for a moment, I ask you: what is the main advantage that legs have over wheeled and even tracked vehicles? The answer is that they can maneuver over terrain that the legless vehicles cannot. The longer the legs, the greater the advantage over tank treads or wheels. Now I love the standard SM dreadnought model, it's one of the key models that sparked my lifelong obsession with 40K, but I have to admit that he has such stubby legs, that he could barely walk over anything without falling over. Thus, I wanted a walker with longer legs--something that I could picture striding over tank traps to get at the foe. I thought about converting longer legs on the existing model, maybe using IG Sentinal legs, but finally went with the Leviathan model--less conversion work to do and just a cool model whose aesthetic already leans toward the sci-fi knight look of the Space Marines.

SO MANY PIECES!

It's true, GW really does spoil us with the low piece count of its miniatures. But even with so many little parts, this guy is a joy to build. Each piece is computer designed and manufactured with such quality, that it all fits together perfectly and with an amazing level of articulation and poseability

It takes several steps just to get this far

The metal screws are a great engineering choice. They add strength to key joints that are going to move a lot.

The legs coming together

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-15, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Default Leviathan Crusader dreadnought update

Got this bad boy mostly assembled. Still impressed with how the joints and pistons move on this guy.
Not sure if I like the Steampunk-ish exhaust ports on his back. In Dreamforge's Eisenkern setting, they are "shield generators," but given their location on the back of the dread, we all know they read as exhaust ports in 40K. I magnetized them so I have the option of leaving them off later.

Last edited by Greenskin; 10-26-15 at 11:23 PM.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-26-15, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quick update:
I have finished assembling my Leviathan Crusader dreadnought. I also bought a second gatling cannon arm for him. I'm hoping to run him as a rifleman dread. I know the Gatling cannons read more as assault cannons than Autocannons, but I don't plan on using this guy in games that much anyway--more of a show piece mini. I must admit I am pleasantly surprised at how much cooler this guy looks with two gun-arms. I have decided to find a good GW dreadnought engine for the back of this guy, as the shield-generator/smokestack-things on his back are bothering me more and more.

post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-17-15, 02:50 PM

zxyogi's Flag is: England

post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-29-15, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Dreadknight engine bits were actually cheaper than any other Dreadnought engine I could find on ebay, but looking at it on the model, I'm so glad I got that bit instead. The regular Dread' engine would look too wimpy on this machine.
I added various GW bits to up the 40k aesthetic of the model. I really like the empire shield bits on his shoulder plate. Naturally, they symbolize various battle honors, or maybe the coat of arms of each hero who has been interred within over the centuries.

Stabby knife.

Basing is coming together...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode