The Shadow Guardians Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-12, 09:40 AM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

I really like the paint scheme, the grey, blue and gold really complements each other, how are you going to stop people from calling them Ultrasmurffs

How did you do the righting on the shoulders, free hand or a pen??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

It's been a long time, but I'm happy to be posting something up here again. Here are my two finished Land Speeders for the Shadow Guardians 2nd Company. The Land Speeder Typhoon is piloted by a veteran sergeant of the 2nd company who leads the squadron whenever mission parameters call for the deployment of multiple speeders. A seasoned warrior and an expert pilot, Brother Sgt. Pheidon has made considerable modifications to his personal Typhoon to improve its speed and maneuverability in battle. It is a testament to his seniority within the second company and his close working relationships with the chapter's techmarines that he has been allowed to modify such an ancient design, yet none in the chapter would deny its effectiveness, particularly in Pheidon's hands.

Last edited by Greenskin; 04-08-14 at 08:19 PM.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

The latin on the tail wing of the two crafts is accurate. Sgt. Pheidon's Typhoon reads "Audax at Fidelis" (bold, yet faithful) while the other speeder's reads "A Caeli Descendere" (from the heavens, we descend). Here are further pictures:
Both speeders have magnetized Heavy Bolters/Multi-Meltas for the gunner, and the Tornado can swap out the underslung Heavy Flamer for an Assault Cannon. Eventually, I may magnetize another MM that can be underslung on the tornado chassis as well. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Greenskin; 02-26-14 at 03:53 AM.

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Also, to answer Hellados' question, from an embarrassingly long time ago, I do all my work with a brush, no pens. I have also recently purchased an airbrush, and am looking forward to using it to paint SM vehicles in the future.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 09:24 AM

revolantis's Flag is: Ireland

This is a really fantastic looking army. Really good work on the vehicles and a lovely paint scheme. Well done!
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, revolantis. I am pretty happy with the paint scheme as well. I have found it's way more fun to come up with your own paint schemes on miniatures than to just copy the company's display miniatures exactly. But I did paint codex ultramarines for quite some time as a teenager.
With that in mind, Here's an update of my Chief Librarian Tigurius model. I learned a lot about highlighting and painting glow-like effects by working on this guy. That said, I am still not satisfied with everything about him. After many washes on his force staff, the colors have become a bit muddy. I need to do a better job on a few of the gem-like artifacts scattered around the mini. additionally, the bolt-pistol is kind of a mess and I want to clean up the metal lightning bolts on his armor, the skulls, and his yellow tabard. The tabard started out red, because I thought I would paint every tabard in the army the same color, but after looking over my old "Codex: Ultramarines" from 2nd eddition, I remembered that librarians supposedly all wear yellow cloth (at least if they follow the Codex Astartes to the letter). I thought the yellow would help him stand out more in the army. I believe I can use enough similar colors on the rest of the mini to tie him in with the rest of the army's overall color scheme. Comments and criticisms welcome on this guy, as I know I have some more work to do on him. I still need to get a power pack on his back, too.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Looking at this photo of my Tigurius up close, his face still looks unfinished. I want him to have darker skin than GW's Tigurius, but I still need him to look finished. This has resulted in a lot of finicky over-highlighting and over washing as the color goes too far in either direction--much like the ongoing battle with several areas on this guy. The base is also unfinished, and will be painted in reddish-grey earth tones to match the army.

One final side-thought--I have always thought GW's newer Tigurius model looks inferior to this guy. It's strange that they could miss the mark so badly on that, considering they have several current Librarians that look pretty darn good.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 02:23 PM

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

I can agree with what you say about his face - I'd say that you should wash it with perhaps Agrax Earthshade, or Seraphim Sepia. Also, I think his Psychic Hood could probably use some blue wash.

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 03:33 PM

zxyogi's Flag is: England

Nice work and scheme!
Keep them coming!!
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Hi there. I completed another Rhino transport for Tactical Squad III the other day. I got this guy off Ebay fully assembled as is. It had some "battle damage" stabbed into it in a few places. Some of it I kept, some I greenstuffed and sanded away. I also managed to pry the front panel off and replaced it with the Black Templars chapter upgrade bit you see now. The Latin/High Gothic on the front banner, "TUTATORS UMBRA" translates to "Shadow Guardians" in Low Gothic.
High Gothic on banner reads "SINE METU"-- "Without Fear"

Last edited by Greenskin; 02-02-14 at 07:12 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode