Grins continuing WiPs - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

Been putting together the DA objective and the mini's from the Dark Vengeance boxed set (and pruning off DA sybols) this weekend so not too much painting. I have managed to finish the battle damage on the marines though, so only the bones, gems, runes and some silver bits to go... Oh and the gold too I think. Nearly there though, they'll be finished by the weekend! :-)

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 11:23 AM

Zero Effect's Flag is: United Kingdom

Love the puppies Grin. Just need to see them on a bigger screen (viewing them on an iPhone).

What do you think of the models then? Favourite part painting them?
Zero
post #93 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Zero! much appreciated!

I really like the models themselves, the standard plastic SW sets have so many parts it's easy to add details to each one and make them stand out and the Thunder Wolves are no exception, they have bags of extras so you can add different feet, equipment, legs, face pieces with bionics. The riders are the same too, they have tonnes of options and variety to them, and I love the hands holding the fur... admitedly I missed two of them and posed the bottom two REALLY badly... they look a bit un-natural, but there's a whole heap of bits left over.

Painting wise, I think I picked a silly chapter for me. I generally hate painting fur, although the T Wolves changed that a bit. I figured a way to get them looking good (in my eyes, I've seen FAR better fur) with not too much hassle with a few different washes and highlighting. I preferred the plastic TWs to the resin type Wolf Lord with the big nose. The fur on that was spiky as hell and REALLY did my head in (a brush destructor if ever there was one - again, for me... lol), but the plastics were smoother without having less detail.

I think my favourite part was the mouths and faces of the wolves themselves. They're not 100% yet, they still need a few details added, but there's so much there, from tiny bionics to metal teeth bolted on the jaw. They also taught me something about wolves too. I wanted to get them looking a little more real with wolf colourings (I didn't want them all white), and looking at their teeth, realised that they're just like ours colour wise, so I'd been painting them a bit pants up until now (I'd done them brown to white, rather than cream to white).

*Wall of text crits for 10,568 damage*

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.

post #94 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 01:16 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Wolves are looking good bud!!!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #95 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 07:20 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Love the thunder wolves. I've been busy like you pruning off DA symbols from my Dark Vengance minis... also sticking together those chaos marines jsut because they look so cool.

What's your plans with the DA's? which ones are you turning into wolves?
post #96 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Indeed, I'm totally impressed with the chaos minis. The detail is some of the best I've ever seen in plastic!

I'm not too sure about the Imperials. I was going to make the bikers swift claws, but think a squad of three is as much use a five man squad of grots, still may though.

The rest of them I'm going to make into a normal codex chapter I think. Was tempted to go with the Relictors, as they've all buggered off into the Eye of Terror it means I can piss ball around with them a bit more and have a bit more fredom. I'd still use the standard codex rules for them, no mad 'here's what I made up' stuff, just paint the power swords purple and other chaosy colours. That said, they may look like lightsabers... time will tell! haha

Keeping the Chaplain as is. I think its too good a model for me to hack apart. Maybe when I have better skills, at the moment I'm still trying to convert Gabriel Seth into a pissed off wolf priest... I may have just ruined the mini though... haha

post #97 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-12-12, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, another Tuesday evening at r kids and the scout's cloaks are almost done, just need to do the white on two of them! :-) I also managed to black and brown wash 10 fenrisian wolves, so will post a pic of them when I get back from work tonight!

On another note entirely, my copy of Zombicide tipped up on Monday after their Kickstarter effort. Haven't played it yet, but it looks mega! Also has 100+ minis for me to now paint... Gutted.

post #98 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

As mentioned earlier, Tuesdays I paint round at r kid's, and to get the boring bit of painting loads of fur out the way, I Black Shaded and Brown Shaded all my Fenrisian Wolves so they could dry while painting my scouts. Now they're ready to get the highlights and details added:

Also,the Objective snow has well and truly dried so I took a few more shots of it:

post #99 of 153 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Well it's been a while since the site broke down, and I've been busy painting with not a lot being posted, so without further ado, here's the painting so far!

This one is going to be an objective for my mate's Dark Angel army. It's meant to be an one of their interogator chaplains or whatever they're called, and two of his deathwing pals dragging off one of the Fallen. still early days, but you get the idea! :-)

Drop pod number 2. I'm never doing the yellow and black on another drop pod...

Thunderwolf Cavalry! Love the minis.

A hint at the contents of the DV boxset and how they're going. Well, the imperial marines anyhow. Small Relictor force I can use as codex marines or allies for chaos. Not that I have any chaos... definitely not... no red corsairs growing in the shelf... no... not here son...

Another squad of Grey Hunters:

These next two are for a command squad of five I'm making just to put on a shelf. He was in the cillit bang too long and kind of got a bit fucked up, so he's now badly burned and scuffed. So far so good, still got a lot to do with him

My new Baneblade:

Sniper Scouts:

Wulfen from Mythicast. Some of the face detail was really badly moulded, but a lick of paint has covered up the worst of it! :-)

Abbey Road wulfen:

Thats all tonight, will post up more tomorrow, I've got a few more scouts done and I'm pretty sure another squad of grey hunters... could be wrong though. Also working on the ltd ed forgeworld boarding marine for one of the five, he's looking quite dapper! :-)

Cheers!

post #100 of 153 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 10:59 PM

LegionThree's Flag is: USA

Just read through your log. Your work is amazing, cant believe the level of detail in every single model. Keep it up.

"Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it."

Cron Old Guard https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=110166

Blood for Blood - The Angels Vermillion https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=116834

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode