Dicrel's Ork Base Works-in-Progress Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-11, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Default Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

EDIT/UPDATE: Since I find myself working on terrain in general rather than specifically for the nebulously conceived/planned Ork base, I've decided to just change this to a terrain plog.

Since I started this log, I've also picked up an Imperial Stronghold, Ork Barricades, trees (40K and otherwise), and a Crashed Imperial Aquila Lander, so expect those to be showing up in the future.

The bulk of the posts are the watchtowers for now, with the exception of the following posts:

#16: Fortified Wooden Fences (added 21 January).
#18: Concrete Jersey Barriers (added 10 February).

===============
I got a friend of mine interested in 40K last month. We split an AoBR box, I got the SMs, he got the Orks. I'm not sure if this was the impetus for it, but I got it into my head that I should build a base for the Orks to defend and for my Salamanders to assault.

Here are my raw materials: corrugated cardboard, cardboard (from kit boxes), white Styrofoam plate, kit sprues, chopsticks, yellow Stryofoam tray, popsicle stick, and Vienna Sausage cans (you'll note, I already started on those). I used superglue and PVC glue to put everything together.

I didn't want to have to buy any new materials, so I just raided my kitchen for most of it. I'm now somewhat worried about the materials that are accumulating around my workbench.

And here is the first watchtower, side and top views.

I wanted the impression that the base of this was created (as a base support, holding tank, or something by a more technologically advanced people) before the Orks showed up and salvaged it. So around the base are plates with fat rivet heads in a fairly regular pattern.

It was only after I built up the walls that I discovered a batch of very old chopsticks (their paper sleeves were yellowed with age), so this solved one problem of having walls that would collapse since there was no support. I was loathe to strip all the material that I had already glued away, so I just glued the chopsticks onto the outside of everything. I'm not sure if I'm going to paint them as wood or as metal yet.

To get that odd grating (with circular holes) I used a hole puncher. I was punching out Styrofoam to create those fat rivet heads at the bottom and realized that if I were to take a little more care, I could create a kind of mesh. I kind of like the look, but I really have no idea where it would come from.

I should mention that the red plastic base is the lid off a kim chee jar (a local brand). I'm waffling on whether it should be painted or flocked.

The one thing about the tray that makes up the floor that I liked is the patterning that is reminiscent of industrial flooring (to me in any case). I also decided to notch and slice at the tops of the chopsticks to suggest that orks bored with watch duty amused themselves by a little hack-and-slash. It didn't quite turn out the way that I wanted. I may have to rethink how to get that effect.

Overall I'm satisfied, but I am looking for a hobby shop that does sell plastic rods. I want to create small rivets to pepper the various plates and struts. I want some visible means of the struts and plates being attached there. I've tried various things that I've found around the house, but none are easy to work with or have the right look.

I'm also looking for a plastic mesh that I once got from a long disappeared hobby shop. I used it for my bonsai, to create grating over the holes at the bottom of my terracotta pots. It would make a great stand-in for metal mesh.

Once I get those, then I'll paint and flock it. I am considering a desert look to it all. It's somehow more fitting to have Orks on a desolate waste rather than verdant green (or it could just be me).

I'm finishing up two others and will post them soon. C&C is appreciated.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 03-06-12 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Re-purposing the WIP Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-11, 12:59 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Nice piece man. Very orky!

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-11, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Default Watchtower North, Watchtower South

Okay, as promised, two more watchtowers. And I've decided I'm going to make a fourth one so the orks can cover the four directions. The first one I made (above) I'm going to designate as Watchtower East, if for no other reason than East begins a game of Mahjong.

I'm already considering the paint scheme for them (though I'm still sadly lacking plastic rods to make those rivet heads).

So here's Watchtower North....

I had toyed with the idea of mounting a large plate with a set of ork glyphs on the "front" of it, but I could not find a reference to any glyphs or combination of glyphs that could make sense. The closest thing I could come up with was "hide good" which I think is utterly incomprehensible to the ork mindset.

I cut more angular/triangular pieces for this one, but I think I'll go back to the more squared-off look for the scrap pieces. For this one, I used a saw blade to notch the wooden posts--again, as if an ork were amusing himself during guard duty. The cuts are much more jagged and visible, but I'm still not satisfied with the look of it.

This was the best angle to see the ladder. I cut pieces from a SM backpack sprue (because it's thinner) to make the ladder steps. I kind of like how it looked, though it is much more regular looking, and I kind of want that scrap-salvaged, about-ready-to-fall-apart look, so I might not do it again.

And here's the top view. I put in a plate with rivets made of different materials to suggest that the ork who repaired this made an attempt to copy the construction techniques at the base of the watchtower. Not sure how it's going to look when I finally paint it.

And here is the third watchtower, Watchtower South:

I abandoned the angular cut of the plates and went back to the more squared-off look. I like the look better, and frankly it's easier to cut.

You'll note that here, I did not even make the attempt to see if the cut sprue would fit before I attached as a ladder step. I do like that I found a section with a bend in it. Maybe the warboss went and had a look at one time?

I'm finally happy with how the wooden posts turned out. And all that was required was to take a rounded file and go at the squared-off corners from various angles. I think I got the look of a post hacked out of a log or out of scrap. The flat file was what I found to make what look like long cuts in the wood. I just ran the file edge-on against the wood. (And if this is a technique know by model-makers, well, I'm an amateur at this and I'm just stumbling along, reinventing the wheel at times).

So the top has a couple of plates. I considered creating hatches but any that I build were not of a low enough profile that I could stand an ork on top without him looking like he'd gotten into the Waaaghhammer beer.

Well that's it for now. One more tower to go and then I'm going to take the plunge and actually paint something. (Yeah, I've never painted any models before, much less terrain--on the bright side, with it being ork manufacture, no one's going to notice a crappy paint job.)

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-11, 09:30 PM
Oakley's Flag is: Australia

Very nice, I like it.

I'll be following this, great work! I love the rivets and other kind of warehouse like materials, it gives it a very orky feel, and adds that little element of perfection. Can't wait to see this painted!

회색 기사단의 세력은 우리의 원수에 대한 강한 상승합니다. - Forces of the Grey Knights will rise strong against our enemies.

Come on, he's hungry.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-11, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Watchtower West

Okay after building up more SM units I went back to finishing up the last watchtower. And then I had to get batteries since it seems after two weeks the batteries that I left in the camera had died. Sigh.

But anyway, here is Watchtower West.

For the front of the watchtower, I found a notched piece of cardboard. It exposes the ork a bit more, but a heavy support piece can be placed there now.

So this is a close up of the broken ladder leading to the top. I'm still of two minds about whether I should "repair" it with other bits of sprue or leave it as is.

And this is a closer look at the paneling that I didn't provide with the others. You can really see the filing that removed the squared corners of the chopsticks. I'm glad I stumbled upon that effect.

And finally, here is the top. Once again, I'm using that Styrofoam that reminds me of industrial plating.

At this point, I've given up on finding plastic rod to create smaller rivets, none of the shops on the island sell it and I cannot justify the shipping costs from the online stores. I'm not quite happy about it, but I'm going to start painting. Though I'm waiting on some of the paints to come in--I have a feeling some of them are on an actual slow boat to the islands, so I have a couple of weeks more to wait.

I'm also not sure if I should take photos of all four watchtowers during the painting. I may just take shots of one as representative of what step I'm on with all the others.

If all goes well, I should have time this weekend to undercoat and base coat all four watchtowers--I probably should do a test paint to make sure that the various materials do not have an adverse reaction to spray paint... then again, maybe if it doesn't look that bad I can pass it off as battle damage?

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 11-16-11 at 05:28 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 12:09 PM

ThoseKrazyKasrkin's Flag is: Australia

Great job.
Id love to see em painted and weathered up.
As for the mesh, i recently use a very fine metal fly mesh (for doors etc) for grating and it looked great. You can get plastic stuff too

'Luck is the residue of design.' - John Milton

'Let the world tremble as it senses all you are about to accomplish.' - Luís de Camões
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip about the mesh. I should check with my dad to see if he has any lying around.

Haven't gotten around to painting yet. At this point I only have the undercoat and now have some of the paints that I'm going to use for base coats. Still I do plan on making time this weekend to at least undercoat the things black.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Default Rivets, Rivets, and More Rivets...

I realize that I've been very bad in not posting anything for over three weeks, but I have a very good excuse. The lack of rivets really, really bothered me and I decided to put the watchtowers on hold until I found a 1/16th-inch hole punch. I finally found one and promptly went insane with punching out and supergluing rivets on what is Watchtower West. And without further ado...

I'm not sure why I did it, but I've circled in red the rivets I've added. Please note this is just one section of the tower circumference.

This is just below the v-notch in the corrugated plate. I plan on adding mesh that I found at a craft supply shop. Evidently it's used in a kind of cross-stitching that uses yarn instead of thread.

As I don't rivet scrap metal as an occupation, I tried to figure out where best to show rivets, where it made sense. And then I remembered that this is an ork watchtower and sense was not in consideration (still, I tried for some order...).

Oh, and you can see to the right side of the white Styrofoam piece where I tried to simulate bad welding with some PVA glue. It wasn't thick enough even after two applications. I'm thinking of adding something so I can build up those globules that are indicative of bad welds.

My rivets are more regular than they really should be, or as I imagine. I can see a mekboy and grots putting a tower together and once that rivet gun is put into the hand of the mekboy, all restraint and consideration are gone. And he's just firing that thing left, right, and any which way (probably nailing a couple grots in the process).

I probably should have circled the rivets on the white Stryofoam as those are almost impossible to see.

If today is indicative of how fast I get through punching out and gluing rivets onto the towers, then I should be done relatively quickly. Still with the end of school looming, I may not have much time to do much else (like paint) until after the end of the semester. Apologies to those following. I'll see if I can find time during the Thanksgiving break--thankfully I'm not being asked to cook anything.

Thanks for reading and as always critiques and comments are welcome.

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 11-16-11 at 05:29 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 09:59 PM
Pony Marine Master

Angelofdeath690's Flag is: Japan

Looking good! to do the welding look try using just straight plain glue. it will give you a better globby look to it. (Ive glued many things XD and they look like that)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 02:03 AM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

Once painted this thing will fit right in with the orks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode