The 1st Legion: Dark Angels (3rd Company) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

louisshli's Flag is: Hong Kong

Default The 1st Legion: Dark Angels (3rd Company)

Good day fellow heretics! Hope everyone has been well. After a month's hiatus, I've finally gotten a few new miniatures painted and decided to share what will be the beginning to my 1,750pts Dark Angels army. Some of you may know that I'm also a Blood Angels player (you can see my work by searching for Scion of Sanguinius). But after painting red for close to a year I'm still not 100% happy w/ my work. Therefore, I've decided to take the easy route and start myself a brand new army. I'm definitely more comfortable working with green, and the Deathwing scheme will be a nice break in between, allowing me to work w/ some white undercoat and try out a few wet-blending techniques.

One of the main inspirations behind my DA fever is driven by the two Heresy novels (Decent of Angels & Fallen Angels). I found both novels were really well written and provided us with some cool background for the 1st Legion of the Emperor.

Well, I'm going for a blend of regular DA marines backed by the 1st & 2nd company. Will try my hardest to stick to the 3rd company insignia and scheme where possible. Will work on two tactical squads first, then their corresponding rhinos, then two vindicators.

Next will work on my Sammael on jetbike (such a cool model) followed by six bikers (2 plasma gunners) and an attack bike (multi-melta).

Finally will round the army up w/ two squads of Deathwing Terminators (one squad with assault cannon and storm bolters and the other will be three TH/SS, two LCs and a CML).

Stay tune, would love to have some feedback re: 1st combat squad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7464.jpg (116.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7466.jpg (114.8 KB, 43 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 12:09 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looking good louisshli. I think that the green could use a little more highlighting just to get the model to pop a bit more, but that is more personal preference than techinical critique. Look forward to following along with this log.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 01:32 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

I second Midge's comments. Looking great, but a little bit of a lighter highlight in portions of the (assumedly) goblin green you're using could make it so the edges of the armour actually 'shine' a bit and stand out more. Not saying I can do it, but you seem to be a much better painter than I am

The freehand emblems on the kneepads is very clean and well done also.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 05:52 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cool stuff mate! Nice to see another DA plog for once, particularly a 3rd Company one (I find the 5th gets way too much love in the codex ). Do you do the insignia on the kneepad in any specific way, because when I try, it gets to fat or poorly spread?

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 08:34 PM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Excellent, most excellent! I'm a huge fan of the Dark Angels with the 3rd company being my Fav. I have had my 3rd company sitting around now for almost 10 years waiting to be finished. You have done a great job so far and I look forward to seeing this log progress.

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 09:06 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

loking good so far. just need a couple of highlights and some chapter iconography and you're away!

Rev
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-14-11, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
Cool stuff mate! Nice to see another DA plog for once, particularly a 3rd Company one (I find the 5th gets way too much love in the codex ). Do you do the insignia on the kneepad in any specific way, because when I try, it gets to fat or poorly spread?
spanner94ezekiel,

Thanks! The 1st Legion has been neglected somewhat given their older codex along w/ lack of new minis. I recently bought a Ravenwing battleforce with all the DA upgrades and found it to be a very cool set to have. Also, bought some vets, DA upgrade sprue, and some Termi shoulder pads, Rhino hatches and front hull, DA transfers all from FW. I'm really going for a complete and by the book force (chapter icon, company badges and squad markings).

Re: company marking on knee pad, I just use Mechrite Red, do one clean stroke from top right to bottom left. Then another stroke, filling the 'green' in between. It's the easiest marking to do, TBH, but a steady hand does help.

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-14-11, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
loking good so far. just need a couple of highlights and some chapter iconography and you're away!

Rev
Rev,

Thanks for visiting! Yea, the iconography is held off until the other five marines are done. They will all be tactical squad 1. Anyone knows if hitting minis with a bit of purity seal will get the decal to stick better? Also any tips on getting that shiny bit from the decal rim to go away? I know I can just repaint the rim but find that over time the paint will crack.

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-14-11, 05:11 AM

Nice and clean man, really neat work. I always like the color scheme for the Dark Angels.

Yeah I take pictures of hot girls. Some one has to.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-18-11, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Good day to all! A small update: after cracking open my first Terminator set and Forge World mail order, I went to work trimming, filing and cleaning all my Deathwing shoulder pads and plastic bits to make my first Deathwing unit. Just as I was about to glue them together w/ my trusty plastic cement, I spilled the glue and drowned my termi-heads. I'm sure most of you know a thing or two about plastic cement, and so you can appreciate that not only is it an ultra effective way of gluing plastic kits, but also have a nasty tendency to melt plastic. So my Terminator heads all turned to balls of plastic. Yikes....... so I went to my local store and picked up another set just for the heads. I figured I can always use the spare torsos, legs and rest to create an Apothecary & Standard Bearer in the future (using the bare heads and DA Vet heads). Anyway, spent another 20 mins or so cleaning the new heads and carefully, and I can't stress that enough, carefully glued everything together. I took a deep breathe and broke out my white primer. Sprayed the lot and began working on the Sergeant. Here's a WIP pic, and I have to say, I do miss working w/ a white undercoat. By far one of my favorite minis to-date and extremely happy w/ the way it's going. Let me know what y'all think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeathwingWIP.jpg (202.1 KB, 47 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode