Hive Fleet Colossus - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
d0m
Krauthead

d0m's Flag is: Germany

Default Hive Fleet Colossus

Good day, chaps!

You might know me from a Grey Knight Blog which I started some months ago. After several games with my 2000 points list of choice I recognized that this style of play ain't really my thing. I played a mechanized Space Wolves force for several years before moving to GK so I changed from mech to 100% shock army to get some variety - it just made no real fun.

Since I was always on the look for some bargains on the bay I more or less accidentally bought a nice Tyranids starter army for some cheap money. It included an old Hive Tyrant, Mawloc, 3 Warriors, Carnifex, 12 Gaunts, a custom Lictor and some ripper swarms.

Without any real intention I started painting the Carnifex, I really liked the look of the model and it was pretty perfect for some airbrush action. In the end it was a real blast to paint. At first I thought it would take ages to get things right but it only took around 8 hours from priming to purity seal.

I then went on a 9 days holiday trip and packed all my painting stuff incl. the compressor and airbrush equipment to get some paint on the Mawloc. After some critics about the low contrast between the carapace and the flesh parts of the Carnifex I tried a darker brown on the Mawloc. Again, after 8 hours I was able to finish this dude who is around double the size of the Carnifex, yay! The painting quality is a bid behind that of the 'fex but should still look impressive on the tabletop.

Since I was pretty pleased about the fast painting process I got my hands on the custom lictor (counts as deathleaper) to try out how fast I could go without suffering too much quality. The lictor took me less than three hours and it was the first time I thought about switching from GK to 'Nids.

One week went by and I expanded the Hive by, guess what, some additional cheap 'Nids on the bay!
Here's a small list of what's in the queue right now:

- Hive Tyrant on Foot
- 3 Tyrant Guard
- Winged Hive Tyrant
- 3 Lictors
- around 40 Hormagaunts
- 6 Warriors

All minis except the Gaunts will be painted to a similar standard like the models shown above. I will use Army Painter with some fast and sloppy painting for the Gaunts because anything more complex would give me a sad face.

Here is the first finished test mini of the Gaunts. I gave the first batch 4 different carapace colours to keep them visually seperated during game play. The base colour is vallejo model air sand, teeth are skull white and the blades were made with a tri-fade airbrush gradient. I will paint them in batches of at least 10 so it will take only about 10-15 minutes for each gaunt to be ready for the tabletop.

Last but not least I finished the bases for most of my bigger critters. I used bark mulch for the stones, primed them black and sprayed 2 different greys with my airbrush. I then quickly drybrushed the whole thing with skull white - done. 15 minutes. Lovin' it.

That's about it by now. Thanks for stopping by, comments and critics are highly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 07:08 PM

Cool, but those Hormies have genestealer talons.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 07:34 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looking good man! Always nice to see another Nids log. I will be following along.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 08:11 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Great miniatures man. I really love the vicious color on the claws in sharp contrast to the earthy skin tones. Makes for an incredibly pleasing force to look at...

Also, great camera work. Good use of shadows and light to create some pretty interesting shots.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 08:56 PM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Sir I must say you have done these Nids some justice! Rarely do I see Nids painted like that and I must say that is VERY impressive stuff. I also love the bases, simple yet extremely effective! + rep!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 08:58 PM

NíckUK's Flag is: United Kingdom

Incredible paint job there! Will definitely be following this!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-08-11, 09:07 PM