After returning to 40k a few months ago I, like many people, was looking into starting a new army. Alot of codexes, battle reports and delving into fluff threads, articles aswell as exchanges with other heretics later; I finally found a new love in the warm promising arms of the ruinous powers (thanks heretics!).
Being somewhat of an old-skool individual I dug out alot of different sources and came across an old favourite: the WHFRP 1st Edition (that's the Warhammer fantasy role-play before it got modern-day funky for you younglings...) In which there is the legally questionable outcast god known as Malal. These days he rocks around under the name of Malice, but for my fluff purposes, as well as army namesake (and not generally being bound by legal agreements almost 3 decades old) I'm sticking with Malal.
For those of you who don't know; Malal is a renegade chaos god who gets nigh infinite enjoyment in messing up the plans of the other chaos gods, sewing disaster and destruction, and occasionally being a mix of Machiavellian plotter and trench-cozy wearing modern day ninja. Usually appearing in short stories and sources circa 1986-1995 until a team of lawyers found a way to banish him from existence (some say they were part of Draigo, Stern and Mandulis Attorneys at Law).
In a way he's more brutal than Khorne, more devious than Tzeentch, has more balls than Slaanesh (an impressive feat) and is just as brutally dark-comedy as Nurgle. He also looks a bit like a Dragon....which in the setting of the 40k universe means he's a Dragon....Innnnnn Spppaaaace!
He's got a bit of fluff that creates an exciting framework to work with. The most recent nod to him being the Sons of Malice who roll around in a 1/4 Black and White colour scheme and generally love the number 11 (as in the volume of this one goes up to...). They also take great joy in killing chaos, sewing destruction and disorder everywhere they go and sometimes ride around on Tigers being bad-ass slavers (and if they don't they should). They are, for all intents and purposes the closest thing to a "shake-up" the galaxy needs to sober from it's self-inflicted madness.
Overall they rate somewhere from "Finding-something-cool-you-bought-ages-ago-but-you-forgot-you-had-but-find-it-again-when-cleaning-out-your-room..." to "Playing-a-face-melting-guitar-solo-whilst-flying-through-space-on-a-rainbow-made-of-amazing..." on the scale of awesome.
For these combined reasons I'm now dedicating my energies into building a war band of chaos: The Brotherhood of Malal. Ill be taking the themes and aspects of Malal I enjoy and giving the war band my own twist...
For more information on Malal here's a few links:
Army Design Concepts
I wanted to be more quite experimental with this army since it's now a real drive by myself to get involved in the hobby for the long term. I used to be more fluff orientated and casual, as well as being a very basic level painter. Wanting to play more and generally improve my modelling and painting skills I'm using this army to learn, teach and develop myself new modelling and painting techniques as well as developing the fluff of my force to really "make it my own". For these reasons I drew up a few concepts I want to incorporate.
- Everything will be bought "as new" or as close to as new as possible (converting old pieces etc). As few eBay marines as possible.
- For the moment I will focus on codex only units. I do love FW but people can be iffy about them.
- Pacing different parts of the project is key here. It's a hobby, not work or RL. I will have no more than two different units being built at a time. I have plenty of distractions, but don't want unopened boxes still 3-5 months down the line.
- Things are built, modelled and painted in the time it takes. No rushing - I don't want sloppy :-).
- The army is to be fluffy but also tournament competitive: It will start with the typical trump cards of most cookie cutter lists and expand from there.
- Eventually I plan to have at least 1 full strength unit of each unit type in the codex,with no overall points cap set as of yet. This is to accommodate fluff, game types (from friendly to gaming club tourney competitive) and general want to experience building and painting different units.
- The army is to be entirely WYSIWYG with nearly all being Official Citadel parts, to aid this I'll be exploring the magnetisation of as many units and spures as possible.
- Each unit is to be built and given it's own self-written fluff, with named characters and events of note to be taken when I remember to do so
fluff will be posted in the fluff section and linked via my signature.
- Conversions are going to be a feature but not the main motivator in developing the look of the force.
- At the moment no colour scheme has been set, although I like the b/w motif of malice, I aim not going to adhere too rigidly to set canon.
- I don't want to use Special Chaos characters in the army per-se, but eventually do want to buy and paint them up, probably I'll play with them in a few lists but they aren't the focus and some will outright contradict the army fluff. Which leads me to...
- The theme of the army is diversity, sensible design and to have fun with it! Though this may conflict at some points I aim to not sacrifice competitiveness for fluff and vice versa. Alot of units may never see action but that's not a problem for me, it's part long term project , part learning experience, a step to gaming club tournament play and a fluff development exercise.
Core Forces Outline:
X2 Deamon Princes.
X10 Plague Marines
X10 Plague Marines
X4 Chaos Rhinos
x3 Land Raiders
Extra fluff units to be added later:
One full strength unit (ie maximum models) of each entry in the codex not listed above. X1 of each vehicle other than Rhinos, x1 of each greater Deamon (Tzeentch and Nurgle to be constructed). Remember that I plan to magnetise pretty much every piece of bits and kit I get - there is to be very little waste and maximum flexibility: I should be able to field everything from a retard noob list to lull people into the hobby, to Zomg you have no creativity cookie cutter lists. By now you have probably realised that the army is to be built with some future proofing via magnetisation.
Current Models recovered from bits box collection:
X10 CSM box unit.
X3 CSM blister unit.
X3 Metal Plague Marines (Missing Bolters).
X1 Greater Deamon of Nurgle.
X1 Greater Deamon of Tzeentch.
X1 Khorne Juggernaught.
X1 Metal Khan the Betrayer (Missing Plasma Pistol).
X1 Metal Abaddon the Despoiler. (Typically he has no arms...)
To Do List:
- Post Log. [Done]
- Build and undercoat x3 CSM blister unit. [Done]
- Build and magnetize x10 CSM box set. [Done]
- Begin demo paint schemes using above miniatures. [Completed x 1, To Go: x9]
- Post demo paint schemes and respond to feedback. [WIP]
- Decide on paint scheme. [Done]
- Purchase x2 Core Force Army units. [WIP. X1 Box Khorne Berzerkers, x1 Plague Marines]
- Build and magnetize x2 Core units.
- Paint x2 Core units.
- Write war band fluff. [WIP: Link - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=96257
- Write unit fluff. [WIP]
- Update log. [Done: Last Updated 21.08.11]