The Brotherhood of Malal - A Chaos Spacemarine Project. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-08-11, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Introduction:

After returning to 40k a few months ago I, like many people, was looking into starting a new army. Alot of codexes, battle reports and delving into fluff threads, articles aswell as exchanges with other heretics later; I finally found a new love in the warm promising arms of the ruinous powers (thanks heretics!).

Being somewhat of an old-skool individual I dug out alot of different sources and came across an old favourite: the WHFRP 1st Edition (that's the Warhammer fantasy role-play before it got modern-day funky for you younglings...) In which there is the legally questionable outcast god known as Malal. These days he rocks around under the name of Malice, but for my fluff purposes, as well as army namesake (and not generally being bound by legal agreements almost 3 decades old) I'm sticking with Malal.

For those of you who don't know; Malal is a renegade chaos god who gets nigh infinite enjoyment in messing up the plans of the other chaos gods, sewing disaster and destruction, and occasionally being a mix of Machiavellian plotter and trench-cozy wearing modern day ninja. Usually appearing in short stories and sources circa 1986-1995 until a team of lawyers found a way to banish him from existence (some say they were part of Draigo, Stern and Mandulis Attorneys at Law).

In a way he's more brutal than Khorne, more devious than Tzeentch, has more balls than Slaanesh (an impressive feat) and is just as brutally dark-comedy as Nurgle. He also looks a bit like a Dragon....which in the setting of the 40k universe means he's a Dragon....Innnnnn Spppaaaace!

He's got a bit of fluff that creates an exciting framework to work with. The most recent nod to him being the Sons of Malice who roll around in a 1/4 Black and White colour scheme and generally love the number 11 (as in the volume of this one goes up to...). They also take great joy in killing chaos, sewing destruction and disorder everywhere they go and sometimes ride around on Tigers being bad-ass slavers (and if they don't they should). They are, for all intents and purposes the closest thing to a "shake-up" the galaxy needs to sober from it's self-inflicted madness.

Overall they rate somewhere from "Finding-something-cool-you-bought-ages-ago-but-you-forgot-you-had-but-find-it-again-when-cleaning-out-your-room..." to "Playing-a-face-melting-guitar-solo-whilst-flying-through-space-on-a-rainbow-made-of-amazing..." on the scale of awesome.

For these combined reasons I'm now dedicating my energies into building a war band of chaos: The Brotherhood of Malal. Ill be taking the themes and aspects of Malal I enjoy and giving the war band my own twist...

For more information on Malal here's a few links:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Malal

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Malal

Army Design Concepts

I wanted to be more quite experimental with this army since it's now a real drive by myself to get involved in the hobby for the long term. I used to be more fluff orientated and casual, as well as being a very basic level painter. Wanting to play more and generally improve my modelling and painting skills I'm using this army to learn, teach and develop myself new modelling and painting techniques as well as developing the fluff of my force to really "make it my own". For these reasons I drew up a few concepts I want to incorporate.

- Everything will be bought "as new" or as close to as new as possible (converting old pieces etc). As few eBay marines as possible.

- For the moment I will focus on codex only units. I do love FW but people can be iffy about them.

- Pacing different parts of the project is key here. It's a hobby, not work or RL. I will have no more than two different units being built at a time. I have plenty of distractions, but don't want unopened boxes still 3-5 months down the line.

- Things are built, modelled and painted in the time it takes. No rushing - I don't want sloppy :-).

- The army is to be fluffy but also tournament competitive: It will start with the typical trump cards of most cookie cutter lists and expand from there.

- Eventually I plan to have at least 1 full strength unit of each unit type in the codex,with no overall points cap set as of yet. This is to accommodate fluff, game types (from friendly to gaming club tourney competitive) and general want to experience building and painting different units.

- The army is to be entirely WYSIWYG with nearly all being Official Citadel parts, to aid this I'll be exploring the magnetisation of as many units and spures as possible.

- Each unit is to be built and given it's own self-written fluff, with named characters and events of note to be taken when I remember to do so fluff will be posted in the fluff section and linked via my signature.

- Conversions are going to be a feature but not the main motivator in developing the look of the force.

- At the moment no colour scheme has been set, although I like the b/w motif of malice, I aim not going to adhere too rigidly to set canon.

- I don't want to use Special Chaos characters in the army per-se, but eventually do want to buy and paint them up, probably I'll play with them in a few lists but they aren't the focus and some will outright contradict the army fluff. Which leads me to...

- The theme of the army is diversity, sensible design and to have fun with it! Though this may conflict at some points I aim to not sacrifice competitiveness for fluff and vice versa. Alot of units may never see action but that's not a problem for me, it's part long term project , part learning experience, a step to gaming club tournament play and a fluff development exercise.

Army Composition

Core Forces Outline:

Hq:

X2 Deamon Princes.

Troops:

X10 Berserkers
X10 Berserkers
X10 Plague Marines
X10 Plague Marines

Dedicated Transports:

X4 Chaos Rhinos

Fast Attack:

X10 Raptors

Elites:

X10 Terminators

Heavy Support:

X9 Obliterators

x3 Land Raiders

Extra fluff units to be added later:

One full strength unit (ie maximum models) of each entry in the codex not listed above. X1 of each vehicle other than Rhinos, x1 of each greater Deamon (Tzeentch and Nurgle to be constructed). Remember that I plan to magnetise pretty much every piece of bits and kit I get - there is to be very little waste and maximum flexibility: I should be able to field everything from a retard noob list to lull people into the hobby, to Zomg you have no creativity cookie cutter lists. By now you have probably realised that the army is to be built with some future proofing via magnetisation.

Current Models recovered from bits box collection:

X10 CSM box unit.
X3 CSM blister unit.
X3 Metal Plague Marines (Missing Bolters).
X1 Greater Deamon of Nurgle.
X1 Greater Deamon of Tzeentch.
X1 Khorne Juggernaught.
X1 Metal Khan the Betrayer (Missing Plasma Pistol).
X1 Metal Abaddon the Despoiler. (Typically he has no arms...)

To Do List:

- Post Log. [Done]
- Build and undercoat x3 CSM blister unit. [Done]
- Build and magnetize x10 CSM box set. [Done]
- Begin demo paint schemes using above miniatures. [Completed x 1, To Go: x9]
- Post demo paint schemes and respond to feedback. [WIP]
- Decide on paint scheme. [Done]
- Purchase x2 Core Force Army units. [WIP. X1 Box Khorne Berzerkers, x1 Plague Marines]
- Build and magnetize x2 Core units.
- Paint x2 Core units.
- Write war band fluff. [WIP: Link - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=96257 ]
- Write unit fluff. [WIP]
- Update log. [Done: Last Updated 21.08.11]

Last edited by Moonschwine; 08-21-11 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Merged to follow posting rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-14-11, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Update 14/08/2011 -

Managed to finish off magnetising every piece from the CSM boxset as an experiment / practice. Also decided to go with a "Classic" Malice scheme except using silver and tin bitz rather than gold.

Here's some pics of my test-bed marine to see how the scheme works out. So far I'm happy with the whites. The black side's not been touched but overall I think he'll turn out okay.

As an additional note - got a painting lesson booked at my local GW so hopefully they can give me more tips (and heresy's are always welcome :D!)

By moonschwine at 2011-08-14

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-14-11, 11:16 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

So far so good! The white looks very good, no chalkiness at all, which is always a good thing!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-15-11, 01:25 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Definitely looking good man! Loving the quartered black and white scheme and so far your painting techniques are sound. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-17-11, 07:05 PM

Looks very good so far. A solution to the unfluffyness of certain characters to your army would be to convert the originial or another model to a counts-as character. Talking of which, what is your fluff explanation for the cult troops, are they renegades who have forsaken their former gods, enticed by malal?
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-17-11, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakaziel View Post
Looks very good so far. A solution to the unfluffyness of certain characters to your army would be to convert the originial or another model to a counts-as character. Talking of which, what is your fluff explanation for the cult troops, are they renegades who have forsaken their former gods, enticed by malal?
Hey Raz. I'm currently writing a full back-story to make them into kind of a missing legion who formed after the fall - enticed by malal like you said but having had their own gene-seed - they are also going to be some Protragonists in a Black Crusade campaign i've begun to write for it's release.

Anyway here's some more pictures as I've done the arms. However with the Bolter I was wondering if someone could answer the following. I've just started painting it (as you can tell), however the "loose" ammunition has this strange thing to it (on the pictures its unpainted and looks like a black line running down the ammunition) and I can't decide if its meant to be part of the bolt "shell" or some kind on metal sheath to hold all the rounds into a dangling clip? Does anyone have any clue here?

Also If it is a "sheath" as it was, what would peoples opinions be on making the colour of the sheeth a bright scorpion green (the gun casing is enchanted blue to match the eyes)?

Here's the pics/ Apologies that it's not amazing but you can clearly see it "running down" the ammunition - its the black line.

By moonschwine at 2011-08-17

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.

Last edited by Moonschwine; 08-17-11 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-11, 08:26 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Goddamm youre good! It sucks that these bad boys are no longer official canon due to the law suit or what the heck now happened. They have a cool color scheme and its nice to see a 5th God in the play.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-18-11, 05:58 PM

I don't know actually. And I would keep it black, giving a model too many different colors can make it appear overloaded.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-11, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Finally the First Brother is finished Born! Welcome to the Legion!

Had alot of fun with this scheme. Have learnt a massive amount of things I need to improve on and I'm really excited to see how my techniques develop. For my first try at a 1/4 Pattern as well as painting CSMs and Magnetizing miniatures (which helps so much when painting!), as well as painting with Blacks and Whites, I'm pretty satisfied. It was also a good challenge, my old work is terrible compared to this guy and although he's not amazing I for-see him holding a special place in my heart in the future!

I know almost exactly where I went wrong and I can't wait to start perfecting the techniques - highlighting is a bit thick, but I got the white pretty much spot on which I'm happy with (and wrote the formulas down yay!). Keeping lines thin means some new brushes though so any ultra thin long bristle brushes people recommend are welcome.

I openly welcome heresy's tips and comments. I also found the great lava base tutorial here so going to experiment a bit more with this Vanilla boxset before moving on to buy the HQ though I already have several base models to choose from including Huron Blackheart! And a pair of troops - Most likely a box of Khorne and a Box of Plagues sometime in the coming weeks.

Anyway some more pictures and a brief update to the general project log this weekend. Overall in a good mood to continue for some "production line painting" soon enough :D. I also have a proxied 1500pts game ready against raven-wing this sunday (21st August 2011) so excited to try them out against a friend.

By moonschwine at 2011-08-20

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.

Last edited by Moonschwine; 08-21-11 at 12:45 AM.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-11, 04:34 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looking great man! Other than some paint thickness issues, that you already mentioned, I don't see any real problems that repetition and practice wont sort out. Love the color scheme and the addition of the blue bits and the lava bases really make the model pop. Well done.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode