Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Carsen WIP... SW and random figures

13K views 77 replies 19 participants last post by  rich11762 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've decided to actually paint a whole army… a small one, but still an army at 750 points.

As I'm not an expert tactician or even read the whole 40k rule book I did some google'ing and more or less copied a 750p wolves compilation. The small but efficient (at least did the blog state so) army will look like this:

- 1x Rune Priest
- 10x Grey Hunters
- 6x Long Fangs
- 4x Thunder wolves
- 2x Rhinos

I'm not sure if I can get hold of the Thunder Wolves where I don't need to do to much of conversion (I'm both lazy and not a very good sculptor). If I don't then I might change the wolves into bikes…. We'll see… But if you guys know of any good thunder wolves please let me know.

I also decided not to join the army painting challenge as I never know when I'll have the time to paint (even though I try as often as possible) with my baby son and a newly bought house.

#3 ·
Oh my my my my.... They... are... gorgeously...
Maybe next month.. :alcoholic:.. if I have the cash..

Thanx for the link.

#4 · (Edited)
Update :

I plan to have all the minis this detailed (or more)...
But darn there are many lines that needs to be drawn on a space marine (if you draw every one...)
I will be an expert on straight lines when this is done. :shok:

I'm not quite pleased with the fur but I guess I'll figure out how to do this nicely sooner or later.

#8 ·
good to see another space wolves plog, look forward to seeing this progress
Nice looking model. I really like how you've done the skulls. Very smooth. The fur isn't too bad, but a wash of sepia will tone down the contrast between the shades. Also, I don't know if the eyes are finished yet, but he looks kind of manic at the moment.
Hmm... Sepia... must be one of the washes I haven't in my box of paints. I'll get it and will follow your advice. The eyes looks better IRL but I'll take another look at it and post an update as soon as I'm done with the current marines. But thanx for the support... From you guys it really means something to me. When/if i reach you level of painting I will owe it to you all... :victory:

Now to a question... I guess it's more a question of liking. I've started painting some skins/fur and am not sure I'm satisfied with it. One thing is that in my head all wolves are grey (especially the wolves on Fenris) and painting the fur in a brown tone is not really to my liking... So the question to you are :

1. Does this look like fur to you?
2. Brown or Grey color scheme? What do you prefer?

This is halfway done..... but still much detailing to do.

#12 · (Edited)
Well... My wife gave me some free time this afternoon and I manage to finish the painting of the last one. :biggrin:

Hopefully I'll get a more steady hand and smother painted lines before they are all painted... Close up it looks awfully.. :shok:

The helmet and wings close up....

Comments? Anything goes and are appreciated. :grin:

#14 ·
Thanx. :grin:
In my head SW are a mix of ancient vikings and modern marines (rampage marines... but anyway) and there for the should have a lot of leather equipments... :)

I have not painted enough to show you guys yet, but are on my way painting 3 marines at the same time... doing them 1 and 1 will take forever the way/time I put on each. But what I did was ordering some thunder wolves from mythicast and hopefully they'll be exactly what I have been looking for... So thanx for the link in a earlier reply. :good:

#15 · (Edited)
Yesterday I received the wolves I ordered.
The models are very nice with many details (though not as good as GW but still) but I am still somewhat disappointed. The models have holes (airbubbles) and also small balls of plastic here and there.... and it will take a lot of time cleaning those and filling the gaps with GS. So I can't recommend buying them if all of them looks like that. :ireful2:

Anyone else seen them in RL? Did I get a bad shipping?

Hopefully it will look just fine when I'm done with them and I will certainly enjoy painting them. :so_happy:

#22 ·
I got the mark of the Lycan models and they were similar. Also the resin used is pretty cheap as it's the really brittle stuff and not the plasticy stuff (Hence one having three fingers missing and another some cloth from his wrist after trying to prune some flash/balls of resin off them).

Also I've had to milliput some bubbles and both the legs on one fella as the moulds didn't look like they'd been positioned right, and the legs had 1-2mm ridges down one side. Detail on them is pretty good, but the moulding is shabby and cheap, they take a lot of cleaning, but they'll look good once finished!

#17 · (Edited)
I can't imagine how they got there honestly... some of the balls are just lying there and can be removed with the hand (or by scalpel if they are between the fur)... other are fused and needs to be removed with knife or file. But as far as I can see they are NOT a part of the mold... more like bad handling of the plastic while preparing, molding and cooling. :angry:

They are molded in Singapore... and it seems a bit risky to send them back... so that is not an option (as I can probably save them with GS and paint) But I'll send them an email with pictures and ask them if they can send spare parts for the damaged ones.... (This is the risky business of ordering something from abroad) It would be bad business for them not to do this as I will def. NOT recommend them here for you guys on Heresy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

#18 ·
Your space puppies are looking nice mate especially the Rune Priest. I look forward to seeing more of your force roll out!

I am sorry to see that the Wolves you purchased were of substandard quality and I would have recommended that you send them back for a new batch. I do understand the fear of shipping them back to a company in singapore, but perhaps if you call the company and explain to them the issues hey may send you a new batch. I have had that happen with Forge World and GW on occasion. I can't see how it would hurt to try, because, in my opinion, those casts are completely unacceptable.

I will be following along with further progress on this log mate!

#19 · (Edited)
I emailed mythicast and they were very friendly in the conversation and explained about the quality check and such things and was very surprised that the quality-guy did not spot this..If this was the truth or not, I don't know, but they saw no problems in sending new ones... I guess I have to wait a few weeks more for the replacements but I AM going to get them..:eek:k:
*Happy Happy*

Family life has taken alot of my spare time (besides I started working again a week ago after been home with my son for 6 months) so I have not had the time to paint. All I have done is painting a few heads.

Comments? (2nd guy looks like a comedian, I know, but he'll do his job of slaying anyway:security:)

#20 ·
This weekend was not about having much of any free time.. :wild:
I did however manage to buy a couple of old models with missile launchers from a guy down at the local GW store. The models must had (at least) 14 layers of paint from before (ok.. maybe not that many, but alot of the details was not there as they should have) and a few of them were really old ones. But I picked 5 of the 7 I got where 2 of them have the old old ML tubes.

Anyway... Without any paint remover I manage to save them somewhat, and now they are at least of table top quality even though I plan to switch them later on with newer models. Maybe I spend 40 min for each marine.

You can see how they looked before the repaint.
What chapter is that??? Is that even a chapter?

#26 ·
I'll get some pics posted up here for you to have a butchers at over the weekend. Most of it is trimmed off, but you'll be able to see the bits where it's goosed.

I think I still need to sort the torso's out, spent an age just on the leg armour so I'll get some close up snaps of them. :)

#28 ·
I'll get some pics posted up here for you to have a butchers at over the weekend.
Sweet. Looking forward to it. (Did I miss them?)

Just chop off the messed up ears and paint around the area as if it's a wound of some sort. I wouldn't say it'd be too much of a big deal to GS a bionic claw either. Then again, I can't really talk, my GS work is strictly limited to plugging holes.
Can't say I know more of modeling than you.. so I guess it's a good idea here and there. :so_happy:

#29 ·
Last weekend and days had (again) little time as I've been training the whole weekend and later sick with fever (bad idea to train with a cold).... My hand have shivered to much to do all the detailing I would have liked to do. But here are some work in progress... (Picture heavy post.. sorry for that)

I need to figure out how to center the pupils of the eyes.... They all look like they need glasses or something... The Hair came out nicely though.

Mr Comedian.....

Mr. Claw...

Halfway done....

Boom??

And finally a picture of one assambled wolf... Just for you guys to see the size of that thing...:eek:k:

Do you guys know of any good explained tutorial of how to paint organic fur/wolves etc???
Painting some cloths on a marine is one thing and a whole wolf a totally different story.... :read:

#30 ·
Nice work with the army so far man, it's shaping up nicely. Check the tutorial section for fur, usually they recommend that you dry brush your paint onto fur, but I've never had to paint a whole animal so I can't tell you for sure.

Shit I'm still having trouble getting dry brushing down right

#34 ·
I'm loving your wolves so far, and you are a really good painter!!

I love what you've done with that rhino interior!!
Seriously guys... getting this praise from you guys (drooling at your work, guys...) means a lot to me. Thanx.

Hopefully I'll get the interior a little bit more crisp.
How the outside goes... we'll see as I've never painted a that large vehicle before. But I have some ideas. :)

Hmm... where did I put my pencils....

#35 ·
Update....

Freehanding... is not really my shit it appears......
Some day I might be good... but for now, that wolf will be removed by a new layer of grey.

#56 ·
Just had a good read/look through this and its a great project so far. I noticed this post about freehand and just wanted to try an help! I find that when painting symbols, chapter badges etc instead of just going all out and painting the fine lines (like the eagle you did) make a block shape and then using your background colour go over the block shape to add the finer details. Hope this helps with the freehand?

#36 ·
Well my camera I use for macro shots has died, so I've used the iPhone, pics aren't the greatest, although this could be because of my feeble camera work rather than any fault of apple's!

This is the five of them. I think once they're totally cleaned up they'll be fine, but it'll be a lot of work. some of the different colourd bits are where I've used miliput to fill holes, but some is from the mould I think. The walking one's chin for example, is covered in some funk which I've kind of shaped into fur... pain in the arse, and still loads to do! Bah!

#37 ·
Thanx. They will look awesome when painted I believe.. =)

I have tried to fix one of the wolves that looked the worst... The big holes are fixable, but the small ones are just soooo many... Probably not useable when you are as picky as I... but it's good practice.

Still waiting for the replacement ones though.... If they have not arrived at the end of the week I suppose I must contact the company again.

#39 ·
much better freehand then what I can pull off > < great job on it though.

#40 ·
Hey Guys...
I would like your thoughts on my color choice.
A pure SW blue is something I want to avoid as I'd like to keep the models interesting and not only one color...

How about this?
SW Grey + Shadow Grey as base with Fenris Grey on the deeper parts on the side
Ilyanden Darksun + Golden Yellow on the side
Adeptus Battle Grey on doors.

Would you say that this Rhino looks interesting and/or SW'ish...???

#41 ·
Hey Guys.
Well... I got some time on my hands this weekend.... not much, but enough to more or less complete Ulrik.

First I though it would be a rather simple one to paint... But hey was I wrong. This guy had more details then I first thought and I also found it kinda hard to make all the colors details get together nicely. I more or less ended up with the same colors as the GW had in their previous codex except the color of the staff. I kinda imagined it to be made of ice.

Anyway.. Comments? Don't be gentle...:wacko:

I'm almost done with the rhino as well... only need to add the last details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.